For the disc under the plunger head

18 replies to this topic

#1 Coop

Coop

#sogoodmuchtacticswowinit2winit360noscopehax0rleetbeastmodeactiv

• Members
  • 775 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 09:57 PM

I know this modification has been mentioned in THIS thread. But, either my computer won't load the pictures, or the links are broken. Anyway, on to the write-up...

I was happily playing around with my Big Bad Bow, when I heard something break as I shot. Then, I couldn't cock the gun and it was acting goofy. I took it apart, and realized the little disc the is under the plunger head had snapped!

Posted Image

I wanted to reinforce this disc, but I also needed to keep it removable to be able to switch the spring. I decided to use a metal washer like TriggerHappyAzn in his thread. This is the washer compared to the disc.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I decided to cut the metal washer to fit over the disc, yet not conflict with it's removal. I set up the disc to be cut to align with the slit in the disc.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I put two metal washers on in this way, one on each side. I used super glue to attach the washers.

Posted Image

Posted Image

It fits on like this.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Plunger assembly together.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I've put about 100 rounds through the BBB since this modification, and everything has held up great. The washers have stayed attached with the super glue and the disc has not snapped.

The washers cost about $.09 each. So this, in my opinion, is a great reinforcement that is incredibly cheap.

On the other hand, the guy who posted before me used the word 'fuck' a lot so he probably knows what he's talking about.

#2 nerfboi

nerfboi

• Members
  • 858 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 10:08 PM

Agreed. That's the EXACT same place mine snapped. Nice write up. Do you know what kind of washers they were? Like what size?
We Ride together, we die together, Bad boys for life.

#3 Coop

Coop

• Members
  • 775 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 10:16 PM

Agreed. That's the EXACT same place mine snapped. Nice write up. Do you know what kind of washers they were? Like what size?

Yeah, sorry. They are 5/16" washers.

On the other hand, the guy who posted before me used the word 'fuck' a lot so he probably knows what he's talking about.

#4 Guest_fadinglight4_*

Guest_fadinglight4_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 October 2008 - 07:22 AM

So I am guessing this is pretty easy and at the same time definitely worth it?
And it is cheap. Good job Coop. By the way I say you Longshot on youtube.com, and it is great. Good job.

#5 Coop

Coop

• Members
  • 775 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 02:08 PM

1)So I am guessing this is pretty easy and at the same time definitely worth it?
And it is cheap.
2) Good job Coop.
3)By the way I say you Longshot on youtube.com, and it is great. Good job.

Slug style:

1) Yes. Especially when the disc is completely snapped.
2)Thanks
3) Thanks! Glad I got some views!

#6 MoonMaster

MoonMaster

• Members
  • 180 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 02:15 PM

This is really awesome. I need to do this to my BBB because I just replaced the spring.

5. Protip: sarcasm is good for making someone else look like more of an idiot than they already do. However, if you are an idiot to start with, using sarcasm just makes you look like a COLOSSAL idiot.

#7 Coop

Coop

• Members
  • 775 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 02:18 PM

This is really awesome. I need to do this to my BBB because I just replaced the spring.

Then I'd say it's almost a must with a spring replacement. I didn't even replace my spring when mine snapped.

#8 Shrub

Shrub

• Banned
  • 862 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 03:38 PM

Good. PS: Your seal is upside down.
Favorite Quotes:
Sorry to hear that man, it's like that one famous bumper sticker, "Shit Happens"
it still seems that your balls drop very rapidly

#9 Coop

Coop

• Members
  • 775 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 04:08 PM

Just Some Bob. That may work... But dremeling out that circle would take quite a bit of skill! I don't think I could drill that fine with the circle cutter bit. I was at the hardware store anyways, so it wasn't a big deal.

Longshot Wielder: Do you mean my plunger head? I don' actually remember how it was when I took it apart, but I think that's how it is supposed to go.

#10 Shrub

Shrub

• Banned
  • 862 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 05:32 PM

Yeah. It is upside down. The Plungerhead.
Favorite Quotes:
Sorry to hear that man, it's like that one famous bumper sticker, "Shit Happens"
it still seems that your balls drop very rapidly

#11 bobafan

bobafan

• Members
  • 635 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 05:57 PM

No, he has it right.

Posted Image

Edited by bobafan, 22 October 2008 - 05:57 PM.

thaygor: all i remimber is pumping it hard and shooting than trying to pump again

---

<death09>my girlfriend broke up with me and sent me pix of her and her new boyfriend in bed
<ktp753>ouch.
<death09>yeah.i sent them to her dad

#12 Coop

Coop

• Members
  • 775 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 06:11 PM

Thanks Bobafan. I thought I was right. If you look at the head, you can see the seal, and how it is slanted. The draw is easy because of the curve, then when it fires it fills the plunger tube.

#13 Guest_evan24221_*

Guest_evan24221_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 October 2008 - 07:59 PM

I'm pretty sure it's right...

#14 Coop

Coop

• Members
  • 775 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 08:07 PM

I'm pretty sure it's right...

That's been stated, but thanks!

#15 Mr BadWrench

Mr BadWrench

• Members
  • 781 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 08:15 PM

This is very nice, but for just a little more money ( or a lot) you can use a machine washer in stainless, brass, copper or otehr higher quality material that will not rust and would be easier to work with in some instances.
NerfChat IRC Chatroom Click to chat!

#16 Coop

Coop

• Members
  • 775 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 09:00 PM

This is very nice, but for just a little more money ( or a lot) you can use a machine washer in stainless, brass, copper or otehr higher quality material that will not rust and would be easier to work with in some instances.

All I have is a dremel and I did it fine. If it rusts, I'll replace it with $.18 washers. No biggie.

#17 MercenaryXero

MercenaryXero

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 05:51 PM

This is pretty much what I did when I put a new spring in my BBB.

#18 Watari

Watari

• Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 06:18 PM

Just a little off topic question:
How many/what spring(s) did you put in your BBB to make the orange part snap like that?
I've only used stock NERF springs, but I never use industrial ones...

#19 Coop

Coop

• Members
  • 775 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 07:28 PM

Just a little off topic question:
How many/what spring(s) did you put in your BBB to make the orange part snap like that?
I've only used stock NERF springs, but I never use industrial ones...

All I had was the stock spring. I think it was how I assembled it or something, not the gun. But this is just to make sure it won't ever snap again. I do plan on adding a spring, but not sure what type yet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users