Season Of Foam

32 replies to this topic

#1 One Man Clan

One Man Clan

TOFTS

• Contributors
  • 2,170 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 04:42 PM

For those who haven't seen it, this was originally posted on NHQ. I've been involved with it behind the scenes and I think I owe my friend Bags some free press for his awesome efforts.

Hello Nerf Internet Community World. Baghead here, with some exciting news.

As early as 2006 Falcon, Pilz and I began to muse about how cool it would be to take the Ultimate Nerf Road Trip, essentially traveling from Armegeddon to Apoc, making every possible stop along the way. As the years have passed, we began to realize that it was completely possible, and not only that, there was more than just a great quest set ahead of us.

What could be more exciting than taking the ultimate nerf road trip you ask? There's only one thing... turning our adventure into a film, that highlights every aspect of this Hobby as best we can.

The Idea of a documentary about nerfing struck me as something that's definitely never been done before. Our hobby is full of dedicated individuals across the globe who've come together by the power of the internet under one cause, shooting each other with foam darts. And we're going to do our best to Come To You.

And when there came time to Name this project... I could only think of one thing, Season Of Foam. Because that's what this film and trip will do, Turn one amazing summer into A nerf-riddled journey that every member of the Nerf Internet Community can get behind.

Now, I admit that the dream of spending several months on the road nerfing nearly non stop is highly unlikely, and would be far to costly for us to afford to do, currently we're expecting this to be at longest a 2-week long trip. And sadly of course, this probably means we'll be constrained to sticking within the continental US, with a slight possibility of going into Canada. But That doesn't mean that we'll ignore our other international counterparts... I'll explain this further when the time comes. but who knows? if funding suddenly comes up, it becomes a bigger project.

So, coming Summer 2009 (or perhaps 2010) The Season Of Foam Team will be setting out to do what No nerfer has ever done before. But to do it we'll need your Help. This is an extremely ambitious project, and we're going to need all the help we can get if we want to make this happen.

So Nerf Internet Community? What Say You? Are you with me!?

Go to: www.SeasonofFoam.com For further information, updates and other fun stuff.

Now... of course this also brings up something else... as I'm currently taking on the bulk of the key production/marketing/organization work of this, and just transferred to UCI, I will Not have the kind of free time needed for someone who is expected to be a moderator of a Nerf Forum. As such, I'm stepping down from my position on Nerf HQ. An exceptional member of the community will be stepping up to take my place, Badger. Congratulations Badger, I know that I leave HQ in safe Hands.

So... Slap a "Senior Member" title on me and send me on my way boys!

-Baghead
I hate you.

#2 g-force

g-force

• Members
  • 345 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 04:58 PM

Well thats just..... amazing if im still active then feel free to stop by in colorado. Im sure futureseal will say the very same.
QUOTE(Carbon @ Jul 28 2008, 03:25 AM) View Post

My god, you actually built it. To that, all I can say is, "bravo".

Chubbs

#3 thaygor

thaygor

• Members
  • 228 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 05:01 PM

Like I said before on hq this is going to be awsome and I think it will be a landmark for this hobby and I look foward to seing this.
Just remember you are unique, Just like everyone else!

#4 Rogue Warrior

Rogue Warrior

• Members
  • 320 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 05:10 PM

And if he and Falcon feel like stopping in Kansas we won't mind either...
My GT is Spacecowboy9951

#5 Renegademilitia15

Renegademilitia15

• Members
  • 516 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 05:12 PM

I know everybody is probably going to say this according to their own state but, it would fricking awesome if you guys came out to WA. If you have a whole bunch of other places that you need to go thats fine, but i'm sure that I speak for all the guys here, it would be radical if you guys came here!!!

Edited by Renegademilitia15, 13 August 2008 - 05:15 PM.

Singled RFS
FA_24's response to Ice's back pain thread:

I used to have that problem until I got circumcised. 15 pounds later I was able to stand up straight.

#6 stickfigure91x

stickfigure91x

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 06:22 PM

I think theres a total of 3 and a half nerfers in Missouri, so you guys could probably skip by here unfortunately...
The laughing will cease when the effectiveness is proven.

#7 Lynx

Lynx

• Members
  • 983 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 06:25 PM

I could possibly put you up for a night in Columbus.

Probably on your way...

I am currently resisting the temptation to buy a Baghead is my homeboy shirt.

RESIST!
Columbus' original crazy asshole now comes with:

AWESOME NITEFINDER

#8 TED

TED

In Brightest Prawn, in Darkest Shrimp...

• Administrators
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 07:33 PM

Why would they want to go to your towns you guys don't have nerf wars.
Star Wars can go fuck itself.

#9 Shadowblade

Shadowblade

• Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 07:40 PM

I doubt yall would come down to GA for SENO, but you have us southerners' support. This is awesome. No other way to put it...*sniff* That was the most inspirational nerf news yet....
Proverbs says, "The wise man doth not shoot the Viking in the ding ding for he shall pummel thee."

But you can totally shoot Vacc there, he loves it!

~Talio

#10 z80

z80

• Members
  • 603 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 07:42 PM

Without a doubt you guys should come to NY. We could do it the day (or a few days) after an NJ war, so that you guys are close by, and we already have had a few wars, and have a large local group.

#11 boisie

boisie

• Members
  • 303 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 07:44 PM

As said in the NHQ thread

Hey, if you go through cleveland, you should stop by my local group. We can host a specific local war for it too. Like the War off I-90.

QUOTE(One Man Clan) View Post
You understand what you just did posting a picture of 4 girls on a message board chock full of nerdy virgins, right?
QUOTE(Foamfoot) View Post
Maybe if we download Ubuntu Christian edition, God will help us install it.

#12 Ryan201821

Ryan201821

Prince Edward

• Contributors
  • 1,892 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 02:18 AM

As said in the NHQ thread

Hey, if you go through cleveland, you should stop by my local group. We can host a specific local war for it too. Like the War off I-90.

I guess you can add Minnesota to this list. I'd be more than willing to provide you with a place to stay. I know I'm not actually from MN, but it's like my second home.

#13 Ubermensch

Ubermensch

• Members
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 07:37 AM

Without a doubt you guys should come to NY. We could do it the day (or a few days) after an NJ war, so that you guys are close by, and we already have had a few wars, and have a large local group.

Seconded.
"In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."-Carl Sagan
Nerf Rocket Air Launcher

#14 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 07:42 AM

You guys should totally stop by Iran, I hear they have great Halal.

#15 boisie

boisie

• Members
  • 303 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 09:08 AM

I did a google for the season of foam site, and it didn't come up. I think you should link it in the first post so that its pagerank will get it up when you search. Also, it may be easier for people when they first read it.
QUOTE(One Man Clan) View Post
You understand what you just did posting a picture of 4 girls on a message board chock full of nerdy virgins, right?
QUOTE(Foamfoot) View Post
Maybe if we download Ubuntu Christian edition, God will help us install it.

#16 bartel

bartel

• Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 10:27 AM

It's seasonoffoam.com. Could you not find it, or were you just stating that it couldn't be found on google? Either way, there it its. Also, on the NHQ forum, Falcon stated:

Alright everybody...let's settle this down a bit so the thread has some sense of organization to it. I'm THRILLED that there is so much excitement/potential for this to go far as we'd been hoping, but we need to streamline the process a bit.

If you want to pitch a location for us to stop at, go to the production's web page, click on the contact link in the nav bar across the bottom, and email Bags with your request.

So I don't think that asking them to go somewhere here will help much.
"I say anyone who knows how to mod a Nerf gun is a badass" -Leaf-o, www.angryaardvark.netfreehost.com

#17 Falcon

Falcon

Velcro'd Beanpole

• Members
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 10:48 AM

Thanks for the plug, OMC.

Also, on the NHQ forum, Falcon stated:

Alright everybody...let's settle this down a bit so the thread has some sense of organization to it. I'm THRILLED that there is so much excitement/potential for this to go far as we'd been hoping, but we need to streamline the process a bit.

If you want to pitch a location for us to stop at, go to the production's web page, click on the contact link in the nav bar across the bottom, and email Bags with your request.

So I don't think that asking them to go somewhere here will help much.

Thanks, Bartel. Saves me some time.

Why would they want to go to your towns you guys don't have nerf wars.

Shrimp brings up a great point, people. But not in the way you would expect.

For those of you who are saying that there aren't enough people in your state Nerfing for us to consider coming, consider this:
The whole point of this trip isn't for us to have an Effeminate-length trip and bragging rights. The point is to convince y'all to pull your heads out from between your legs, walk away from the workbench, put down the dremel, convince your friends to nerf with you. That's how EVERYONE gets started. Eight years ago, I was the only nerfer here in Glendora. I had two friends I'd been playing with since I was a kid, but they were from out of town. Two years later, I had a solid clan of nine, and now we number about 15, with 12 consistently active. The point is to expand the hobby, and to GET YOU NERFING. You have a few months short of a YEAR to pull a solid group of nerfers together before we head out. So start exercising your recruiting muscles, and see what happens!

To build on that...
If you are still unable to pull together a group large enough for us to be able to make a stop (and really...we sincerely want to stop everywhere. We won't ignore you because of size. We'll regret every location we have to pass up in order to make the trip reasonable) we will probably be visiting a group of Nerfers in a state neighboring yours. So make the trip out; it'll be worth it!

Side note...don't worry about learning to play by our rules. We're coming to YOUR territory, so we're playing by yours as well. Don't worry about our gun ban lists, home mades, anything. They're just as much a part of the hobby as you are. So get to it, and show us what your humble small-town Nerfing 'burbs are made of.

I doubt yall would come down to GA for SENO, but you have us southerners' support. This is awesome. No other way to put it...*sniff* That was the most inspirational nerf news yet....

Keep your shirt on...there's a reason we're dropping all the way down the east coast to GA/AL after Apoc. before heading back west...

You guys should totally stop by Iran, I hear they have great Halal.

Bags needs to get on the ball with getting a passport. I'm currently in talk with their customs agents. Good thing army surplus still stocks desert digi camo.

Edited by Falcon, 14 August 2008 - 10:53 AM.

----------||||||||)
QUOTE(Ilùvatar @ 0000) View Post
Of the theme that I have declared to you, I will now that ye make in harmony together a Great Music.

#18 Groove

Groove

Certified Badass

• Founders
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 11:16 AM

...The Idea of a documentary about nerfing struck me as something that's definitely never been done before...

That's rather ironic, my memory seems to recall something a little different.

This is quite an ambitious project you've proposed, and I'm certain I'll see you at least once, probably twice along your route in your Effeminate journey from the tainted coast.

-Groove

"Too close for missiles, I'm switchin' to guns"

#19 baghead

baghead

Cheetos

• Members
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 12:35 PM

Big Thanks to OMC for getting this info Out There.

Falcon did a good job of addressing a lot of what needed to be said, but here's some things I can't ignore:

I could possibly put you up for a night in Columbus.

Probably on your way...

I am currently resisting the temptation to buy a Baghead is my homeboy shirt.

RESIST!

^ you shouldn't as This Post was one of the reasons we actually decided we'd make that shirt.

I did a Google for the season of foam site, and it didn't come up. I think you should link it in the first post so that its pagerank will get it up when you search. Also, it may be easier for people when they first read it.

It takes longer for Google to index flash based websites, although they said that they can read SWF files nowadays and I'm intentionally putting a decent amount of redundant text into the News Updates solely for that purpose. But yes, a link to the site would help it's rating. It also should be noted that the site hasn't even been up for a week yet, so let's give google a chance.

...The Idea of a documentary about nerfing struck me as something that's definitely never been done before...

This is quite an ambitious project you've proposed, and I'm certain I'll see you at least once, probably twice along your route in your Effeminate journey from the tainted coast.

-Groove

I should have known that the one time I don't post "feature-length" in front of documentary would lead to you posting something like this about your little "video journals"...

Now, groove I know this is hard for you to believe that someone other than you could come up with an original idea when it comes to the NIC... but I've been sitting on this idea for a long time, perhaps before you even did the first Chronicles.. of course you can easily counter that by saying something like "but I wanted to do chronicles since before you started nerfing" and we'll bicker and before you know it we'll just be arguing over who's more gay and then VACC will be like "you both suck my balls" and it will ruin the fact that I'm trying to inspire a following for a project that's going to take a lot of cooperation from the NIC if it's going to work well.

* Note: If anyone doesn't read my disparaging comments about Groove as Tongue-in-Cheek... you need to read how I typically post.

Moving on:

Also, I want to acknowledge that the way you've put together the two chronicles videos has helped me figure out what I don't want to do with ours, no offense intended. What I mean by that is from a filmmaker's standpoint, Pilz and I wanted to take a little different direction in our method of producing it. I honestly want to avoid having the "Crew" talk to the camera outside of interviews, in favor of using voice-overs written and recorded after the fact. Also we're going through all the annoying legal crap one has to do to actually both try to sell a film and shop it around to festivals.

In short, Look forward to crossing paths with you on our quest Groove, we all think you're rad and missed you at geddon.

Now.. I'd like to thank all of you for showing such support on this so-far. From here on out Please if you have location suggestions e-mail them to me @: bags@seasonoffoam.com, although, if you can wait a couple weeks I plan on setting up a new email account on SOF solely intended for people sending suggestions about location. I'll elaborate on this when the time comes.

I also highly suggest you guys go read what has already been posted on the HQ thread: Here.

-bags

Edited by baghead, 14 August 2008 - 12:38 PM.

Don't call it a comeback, I never left.

#20 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 12:44 PM

From here on out Please if you have location suggestions e-mail them to me @: bags@seasonoffoam.com, although, if you can wait a couple weeks I plan on setting up a new email account on SOF solely intended for people sending suggestions about location.
-bags

I'd like to suggest you visit South Ossetia. Supposedly they have some pretty crazy wars going on right now!

#21 Gears

Gears

The boy who lived

• Members
  • 848 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 12:53 PM

-Groove

Groove, your videos were always a...how should I put this...A tease? They were awesome and I used them more than once to introduce some friends of mine to Nerf. I was actually a tad let down when you said you wouldn't be making it to Armageddon. This isn't the point though. Bags, this is an amazing operation you have going, and I am really liking this idea.

WoW is destroying my life.

-Groove out.

LAWN GNOME LIBERATION FRONT

#22 aamiller321

aamiller321

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 01:57 PM

And if he and Falcon feel like stopping in Kansas we won't mind either...

And what would they do out here? There's like no-one. Good to see another KS nerfer though.

Edited by aamiller321, 14 August 2008 - 01:59 PM.

QUOTE(sidamazo @ Nov 20 2008, 03:51 PM) View Post

y the hell r u here?
Challenge me
QUOTE(CoasterDynamix757 @ Jul 5 2009, 11:29 AM) View Post

Ice, is it your time of the month again?

#23 Groove

Groove

Certified Badass

• Founders
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 03:37 PM

I should have known that the one time I don't post "feature-length" in front of documentary would lead to you posting something like this about your little "video journals"...

You're right, all the thousands of dollars I've spent on plane tickets and dozens of hours collecting, editing, and publishing the footage of my "video journals" is infinitesimal in comparison to your creation.

*Note: If anyone doesn't read my disparaging comments about Groove as Tongue-in-Cheek... you need to read how I typically post.

Right back at you, homeslice. Two can play at that game.

Friendly banter aside, I'm going to be semi-serious and just say that the wording you used is a bit of a misnomer, I called you on it, that's all. I'm not going to get bogged down on arguing semantics, nor am I trying to cockblock your efforts - I wholeheartedly support them. This isn't about me, it's about the community. All I'm saying is to jokingly set aside someone else's work and to discredit it entirely are two completely different things. Give credit where credit is due. That's all I'm going to say about that, take it as you will.

-Groove

"Too close for missiles, I'm switchin' to guns"

#24 baghead

baghead

Cheetos

• Members
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 07:35 PM

You're right, all the thousands of dollars I've spent on plane tickets and dozens of hours collecting, editing, and publishing the footage of my "video journals" is infinitesimal in comparison to your creation.

*Note: If anyone doesn't read my disparaging comments about Groove as Tongue-in-Cheek... you need to read how I typically post.

Right back at you, homeslice. Two can play at that game.

Friendly banter aside, I'm going to be semi-serious and just say that the wording you used is a bit of a misnomer, I called you on it, that's all. I'm not going to get bogged down on arguing semantics, nor am I trying to cockblock your efforts - I wholeheartedly support them. This isn't about me, it's about the community. All I'm saying is to jokingly set aside someone else's work and to discredit it entirely are two completely different things. Give credit where credit is due. That's all I'm going to say about that, take it as you will.

-Groove

I take it as is comes. I'd re-word what I initially had posted: but it's up to one with admin powers, to something more along the lines of this: "The Idea of a Feature-length documentary about nerfing struck me as something the outside world hasn't even thought of doing." it doesn't directly reference you, but it doesn't act like the Chronicles vids never happened. I never was trying to belittle your work, I just was trying to get people excited about What us on The Season Of Foam Team are trying to do and well... Got a little over excited. Now, speaking of all the work gathering clips for your Vids... do you happen to still have the geddon 07 footage you got from pilz? he actually had to wipe that footage from his archive before he could give it to me... so if we could work out some way for you to send it to me that would be awesome.

I'm glad to have the full support of you and everyone else who's posted in these threads, as well as all the people I told about this back when Falcon mass-Pmed people about getting voice clips. We've been trying to get a trailer together (he's cutting music with those audio clips) for a while but I've had a lot of things keeping me from digging through my video archive. I literally took all the way until after I got back in school to get the site launched... which wasn't a good thing. And right now I'm burning the candle at both ends to keep working on building this base work for this project while taking 3 work heavy summer school classes at UCI. Fortunately I'm going to get to "double dip" by doing our "Pitch Reel" while I make my final project for one of those classes, but I'm still going to have a hard time getting all our stuff together during these next 4-5 weeks. so for now... everyone please be patient I promise I'll be keeping everyone updated as key things come. In the future I'll be asking for location suggestions, and a few other things, this will include the possibility of footage from people who we know for sure we won't be able to meet with.

-Bags

Edited by baghead, 14 August 2008 - 07:59 PM.

Don't call it a comeback, I never left.

#25 biofreak2

biofreak2

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 02:37 PM

Well I know it's out of the way, but in upstate NY, Analogkid and I have a clan of at least 5 and still growing. We'll try to get that to ten by the time you guys are coming if you stop by NY.
Here in Wardog Clan we don't yell "FOR SPARTAAAAAAAA" we yell "FOR SUPERFOODTOWNNNNNNN", ya know mix things up a bit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users