Dtg 4 Noobs

Simple Mod, Detailed Account

4 replies to this topic

#1 LoneKiltedNinja

LoneKiltedNinja

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 12:29 PM

I'm a total NERF mod n00b myself, but I completely fell in love with my pair of DTGs and decided to dive in. I was daunted at first by the relative lack of good pics of the innards of a DTG, so as I did this first mod blind, I tried to document as much as possible for future modders. Images are linked because they're HUGE.

Posted Image
Just to be clear, this is the DTG I'm talking about. At some point I'd like clarification on where the acronym comes from, since all the other Dart TaG blasters seem to have more salient names, and I'd be tempted to use 'DTB' instead. Ce'st la vie. Anyway, step 1. Remove the top grip. 2 deep screws. No problems.

Posted Image
Some 13 screws later, the actual body opens up.

Posted Image
Be very careful not to lose the tiny spring over the trigger. The orange tab and thin spring on the top clip also get lost easily, if you care.

Posted Image
The DTG: exploded view.
Hinged trigger piece, piston, spring, piston chamber, springloaded seal, and the barrel assembly.

Posted Image
The barrel assembly opens into the usual array of ARs. Careful, those springs will go flying.

Posted Image
I tried to keep the mod reversible, so I removed and held onto the springs and pronged bits before putting the spikes back in. A more aggressive mod would drill out the spikes and really seal the caps back down.

Posted Image
An early attempt at replacing the stock spring with a combination of what I could find in the Lowe's springs department. Unfortunately the amount of solid metal this compressed to kept the piston from latching...

Posted Image
... so I ultimately just added one of the end springs to the existing spring, which at least puts the whole assembly in slight compression when reassembled, meaning your entire pull stroke stores some energy.

Posted Image
I'm a trumpeter, so after fiddling with the parts rubbed off a good bit of oil, I dropped some synthetic valve oil in to re lube/seal the piston. A more aggressive mod would have likely swapped the O-ring and glued/caulked/foamed the piston back into the gun.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Compression springs seem to be a bitch to come across these days, at least where I live, so I tried to rig a little extra oomph with a small tension spring attached thusly. I reassembled the gun once and had it work, but after taking it apart again for some other cleanup, I wasn't able to reproduce just the right geometry to have it not snag on anything or pop off the piston. Ultimately, I gave up on this approach.

Posted Image
Now, I get kinda paranoid when I dry-fire and hear all the plastic-shattering acoustic energy resonate through the gun, so I made a quick attempt at padding the piston with a chunk of beauty sponge from CVS ($2).
Posted Image
Just thread it with whatever thin string you have...
Posted Image
tape the string back against the piston shaft...
Posted Image
and trim the tape down so it doesn't interfere with the firing mechanism.

The pad takes up some space, particularly until you fire with it a few times, and thereby cuts into your range, but it does make the noise a little less nerve-wracking.

When you reassemble, it is VERY easy to strip out the screw holes. I'd recommend dropping each screw in its hole, backing it counterclockwise a few times to feel where it 'clicks,' and then screwing it in from right after the click. If you feel any resistance, you're probably chewing up the plastic.

Final range is still better than stock by about 20-25%. I have no good measured testing range, and quoting exact distances assumes certain firing conditions, so meh. Just expect a little more oomph beyond what you would normally get with the stock gun. Not impressive, but a decent payoff for a first-time mod.

Edit: overhauled whole post with revised images

Edited by LoneKiltedNinja, 13 July 2008 - 04:53 PM.

#2 OfAllTheNerf

OfAllTheNerf

• Members
  • 714 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 01:05 PM

Try embedding the pictures, more people will probably read it.
[color=#FF6600][Finesse]-[BitchX]

#3 Blasphemy

Blasphemy

• Members
  • 355 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 04:42 PM

On top of that... you can easily find good compression springs if there is a Home Depot or Ace near you, just check. Also, if I were you I would've dremeled those bulkheads to make the extension spring fit.

Edited by Blasphemy, 28 June 2008 - 08:03 PM.

When speaking about a swallow, always make sure you know whether it is an African or European swallow. It is very important.

#4 CrazyIvan VI

CrazyIvan VI

• Members
  • 295 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 07:30 PM

Ranges?
I get all giddy when I see VACC browsing a stupid topic. I just know someone is going to get banned.

#5 Blasphemy

Blasphemy

• Members
  • 355 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 07:57 PM

Ranges?

He said 20% better ranges. A little math can't hurt you, you know. If a DTB's stock range is about 30 ft. (stock range for most Nerf blasters) then divide that by 100 and multiply by 20 and you get 6, 20% of 30. 30 plus 6 is 36, so his ranges are likely around 36 ft.

Edited by Blasphemy, 28 June 2008 - 07:57 PM.

When speaking about a swallow, always make sure you know whether it is an African or European swallow. It is very important.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users