A completely homemade foam blaster that raises a storm

4 replies to this topic

#1 TheNERFArmageddon

TheNERFArmageddon

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 02:13 PM

The Cruisin' Bruiser

Admitably my best work thusfar, the Cruisin' Bruiser is a force to contend with.
My little brother bought the Buzzsaw a while ago and though entertaining, it's power was lacking. It was then that I knew what I had to do with my first week of summer. Build the Nerf Ball Cannon from hell.

It turn's out that Home Depot doesn't have the tubing to fit a NERF Brand ball, although they do have pipe that fit's foam golfballs.(about one and a half inch diameter; easily found at WalMart)

Fifteen bucks and some one hour later, the Cruisin' Bruiser was made...

Posted Image

At just over 3 feet long, it packs a punch. I took the valve idea from another nerfer.

Posted Image

But i used a presta valve instaed of a schrader valve. I'v found it holds pressure longer, and it allows me to depressurize without firing in case of emergency.

The ball exits the barrel at an estimated 200mph @ 80psi, it makes a hell of a noise when fired. Ranges about 75' when fired, but only because foam balls have incredibly high drag and low mass.
If at first you don't succeed,
Don't try skydiving.

--Warren Miller

#2 Bomberman

Bomberman

• Members
  • 730 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 03:31 PM

If your only getting 75' out of this thing, then I highly doubt that it leaves the barrel at 200 mph. More like 20 mph. Unless this ball is made out of solid lead, and you measured this with a radar gun, I'm gonna call BS. Otherwise, good job. 75' feet for a ball blaster is great.
QUOTE(silentsnipe) View Post

It's not like that. I put lube on it and its the same. Its just stuck. And when I cock it back it goes farther back then usual. Also I push as hard as I can and it wont go back in. I've tried the methods and they wont work. Also pics are up.

#3 Foam Shooter

Foam Shooter

• Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 03:52 PM

Excellent job for your first homemade but it doesn't look like it would be efficient in a nerf war. This is due to the size of the airtank, the length of the barrel, and the pump is on the body so you have to attach it every time. I bet if you work on the design a little though there could be some major improvement. How many pumps does it take to get 75' (a great range for a ball gun by the way)?

#4 TheNERFArmageddon

TheNERFArmageddon

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 05:30 PM

If your only getting 75' out of this thing, then I highly doubt that it leaves the barrel at 200 mph. More like 20 mph. Unless this ball is made out of solid lead, and you measured this with a radar gun, I'm gonna call BS. Otherwise, good job. 75' feet for a ball blaster is great.

It slows down incredibly. For about every ten feet it loses nearly half of it's velocity. After 30' it just coasts.
I measured it using a frame by frame and a measured scale behind it.

Excellent job for your first homemade but it doesn't look like it would be efficient in a nerf war. This is due to the size of the airtank, the length of the barrel, and the pump is on the body so you have to attach it every time. I bet if you work on the design a little though there could be some major improvement. How many pumps does it take to get 75' (a great range for a ball gun by the way)?

It takes about 40 pumps with an upright pump. I'm sure it'd be better at a lower elevation though.
I think it has potential. Right now i use it as a single shot weapon. Kind of a long range shot. I consider it a rifle and then I bust out my Maverick for closer range. Besides, ost folks are happy when they get hit by it.
If at first you don't succeed,
Don't try skydiving.

--Warren Miller

#5 quiet asian man

quiet asian man

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 06:02 PM

200 mph = 293 fps
20 mph = ... 29 fps

My big snap at 220-240 fps easily clears 100', but foam balls do not have much mass to them and deal with much greater air resistance due to larger surface area. 75' is very believable.

Edited by quiet asian man, 24 June 2008 - 07:22 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users