#1 notthedinkus

notthedinkus

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 11:02 PM

This is my prototype nerf grenade.

Posted Image

Posted Image

As you can see in the pictures, it is a small handheld device that loads cut up nerf darts. about 5 pieces can fit in at one time (approx. one dart.), and it fires them about a 2' radius from the mouth. it is a tactical grenade that isn't very effective at clearing multiple targets, but rather, it is usefull for taking out well dug in oponents, or ones that like to hide alot. the device utilises rubberbands that are pulled back by the black cord to proppel the foam shrapnel. the device is primed by loosening the cord from its locked postition to a more unstable one, allowing it to go off when it lands after being thrown.

Please tell me what you think and submit ideas.

EDIT: Yay video! sorry about the mildly grainy video, but my new camcorder is still charging.
anywho, the video shows me priming an loading the grenade, and then setting it off. unfortunately, the shots hit the book shelf infront of me and bounced off, so the ranges are a little skewed, but you can expect about 3 feet of splash dammage.

video

please leave a comment if you experience any problems.

Edited by notthedinkus, 21 April 2008 - 09:53 PM.

WANTED: Somebody to go back in time
with me. This is not a joke. P.O. Box ***,
Oakview CA 93022. You'll get paid after
we get back. Must bring your own
weapons. Safety not guaranteed. I have
only done this once before.

#2 venom213

venom213

• Validating
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 11:37 PM

Looks interesting. I still think that grenades are typically ineffective in nerf. I forgot to try out my Barricade Buster Grenade at a war, luckily there is one in 2 weeks that will be a perfect time to do so. Here is the kind of grenade I mean. I think that that kind of grenade is probably the most war practical, but I still need to test it. A video would be nice too.

Edited by venom213, 20 April 2008 - 11:38 PM.

#3 notthedinkus

notthedinkus

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 11:51 PM

yeah, this isn't so much for all out war like i said earlier, but more for taking out more secluded and dug in targets, maybe as a diversion while you take cover, or to take one guy out while you shoot off your pistol at the other.

#4 Ubermensch

Ubermensch

• Members
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 06:03 AM

It would be cool if you modded a Titan to shoot these. I think someone did something like that on NHQ a while back.
"In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."-Carl Sagan
Nerf Rocket Air Launcher

#5 NerfCrazy

NerfCrazy

• Members
  • 497 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 07:54 AM

Looks cool. I want to make one now. So you move the black cord and throw it or hold it? You could easily get pvc to make it(which some people have lying around such as myself) if you don't know where to get fold able frisbees(yet again such as myself). Yes a video would be helpful.

#6 z80

z80

• Members
  • 603 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 08:09 AM

Looks cool. I want to make one now. So you move the black cord and throw it or hold it? You could easily get pvc to make it(which some people have lying around such as myself) if you don't know where to get fold able frisbees(yet again such as myself). Yes a video would be helpful.

The images aren't working for me, you wanna upload them somewhere again?

#7 notthedinkus

notthedinkus

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 09:37 AM

If any one is interested, i will post a write up with more details soon.

#8 nerfer75

nerfer75

• Members
  • 366 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 10:13 AM

A write-up would be nice. Is there any way we could see a video of it working?
---nerfer75---
And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.--Revelation 20:15

#9 imaseoulman

imaseoulman

• Members
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 11:13 AM

Video would be very nice.

When is somebody going to make a mouse-trap powered NERF grenade?

#10 eddieoctane

eddieoctane

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 11:41 AM

That feels a lot more like a shotgun than a grenade based on your description. And throwing pieces of PVC at people seems a bit much for me. Maybe a launched grenade similar to what imasoulman did with his Titan/shotgun.

I really don't see nerf grenades ever becoming much more than a fantasy, but keep trying. You never know what people will come up with.

P.S.
If imasoulman makes a Titan fired grenade, I get credit for inspiring it.
C8H18

#11 Predalien Ro

Predalien Ro

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 12:17 PM

This seems more like a grande launcher that you could add to a gun, like a recon. I bet if you could get more darts to fie out and somehow glue a rail to the PVC, it looks like it could work.
Toilet paper is for your ass, not your nerf gun.
Try craft foam if you want to add cushioning to the handle.

#12 Bomberman

Bomberman

• Members
  • 730 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 01:05 PM

I think it is small enough to mount on your secondary, as another last defense. Although it is somewhat pitiful, I like the idea. There is always something cool about a nerf grenade. *sigh.....*
QUOTE(silentsnipe) View Post

It's not like that. I put lube on it and its the same. Its just stuck. And when I cock it back it goes farther back then usual. Also I push as hard as I can and it wont go back in. I've tried the methods and they wont work. Also pics are up.

#13 notthedinkus

notthedinkus

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 07:16 PM

Alot of the comments i have been hearing were ideas that i had thrown arround with my friends.
we had come up a grenade/shotgun attachment, an actual shotgun that fires these, and a sort of wrist mounted last ditch weapon, in addition to being a plain tactical grenade.

also, i got my video camera from qvc tonight, so ill be making a video of the construction and use.

#14 notthedinkus

notthedinkus

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 08:17 PM

Ok,
i made sort of a grenade/shotgun attachment for my allready heavilly modded magstrike.
I simply hacksawed a piece of pvc of the same diameter and bore, and hot glued it to the gun. now, if some one sneaks up on me when im not prepared, i can shoot of the grenade at them. the hot glue is fairly strong, but i'm going to reinforce it soon.
heres pics:
Posted Image

Posted Image

#15 Salmon

Salmon

• Members
  • 447 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 08:44 PM

I was thinking maybe something like this might work, if you attached paperclips to the rubber bands and kind of pulled it back, then launched it by snapping it forward. Pic:
Posted Image
Welcome to I-dont-care-isburg, population: me.
We're located in I-Don't-Give-a-Damn County, in scenic Shut-the-Hell-Up-achussets.
Maybe you're familiar with our annual charity drive where we ask for shit, and no one gives any.

#16 notthedinkus

notthedinkus

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 08:51 PM

That is a good idea salmon. it is much more reliable for the mounted shotgun type versions than the cord, but it might be harder to activate quickly, and there is no way that it would work as a grenade like that. Im going to make dedicated shotgun type attachments to mount on my guns using that.
thanks.

also, check the first post for videos, because ill be adding them there.

#17 Salmon

Salmon

• Members
  • 447 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 09:26 PM

Yeah, the problem with m design is it would shoot off in your hand as soon as you activated it, and that means it has absolutely no use for a grenade unless you figured out a time delay mech or something. But I'm glad I could help with developing this, maybe not for a grenade, but for a back-up close range scatter-shot attachment..
Welcome to I-dont-care-isburg, population: me.
We're located in I-Don't-Give-a-Damn County, in scenic Shut-the-Hell-Up-achussets.
Maybe you're familiar with our annual charity drive where we ask for shit, and no one gives any.

#18 NerfCrazy

NerfCrazy

• Members
  • 497 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 09:40 PM

A way so you could throw it would to do what salmon did but shorten the paper clips a bit and make a sort of mechanism to push the paper clips slightly inward to fire. Also if you find the perfect size you may be able to just throw it and the impact could move the paper clips enough to fire. Just a thought.
Posted Image

#19 notthedinkus

notthedinkus

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 09:55 PM

thats good, but its just that i dont know how you'd carry it arround like that. maybe you could get some sort of cap to hold it in place while you run arround.

#20 Squilt

Squilt

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 10:25 PM

Well if you shortened to paper clips like NerfCrazy said when it hits the ground or what ever the paperclip would be dislodged from its place thus pulling the one out.

An idea for the paperclip design for a mounted grenade launcher is...

Posted Image

When the string is pulled back it launchs it.
Dead I am the rat, feast upon the cat
Tender is the fur, dying as you purr.... oOoo...

Wait, your licking hot glue?Insane. But I like it.

-- Spyder S.nyper

#21 notthedinkus

notthedinkus

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 11:46 PM

that is pretty much the same as what i already had.
anyways, i just tried sticking a dart down the grenade and fired it, and it went a fair ways, maybe 12 feet!
so listen to my idea, you get like twenty of things like this but smaller because they shoot darts, on a rifle, where they spin and fire, or you could shoot them all at once too!
tell me what you think, and ill have plans posted tomorrow.

#22 NerfCrazy

NerfCrazy

• Members
  • 497 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 07:46 AM

I really like the grenade even more now because you
  • Don't have to spend $5 dollars on a foldable frisbee
  • It is about $4-5 for a 10 foot section of pvc
  • Maybe $3 for a box of paper clips
  • Maybe $3 for a box of rubberbands
With all of that you can make 10-20 grenades.

#23 Bomberman

Bomberman

• Members
  • 730 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 02:26 PM

I'm sure this is somehwta obvious, but to make the dart fragments go farther, you could put a small weight, like one BB, and a little dome of hot glue over it, and you have a little mini-stefan. It would probably increase range to like 10 feet. And maybe you could also get like a mini bungee cord, but that could be dangerous...

~Bomberman
QUOTE(silentsnipe) View Post

It's not like that. I put lube on it and its the same. Its just stuck. And when I cock it back it goes farther back then usual. Also I push as hard as I can and it wont go back in. I've tried the methods and they wont work. Also pics are up.

#24 Blacksunshine

Blacksunshine

• Members
  • 948 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 06:56 PM

Video would be very nice.

When is somebody going to make a mouse-trap powered NERF grenade?

That would seem like the most simplistic and effective design. or at least a similar concept of a spring loaded tube. with a mouse trap like trigger.
Forgive my spelling and grammar. I post from my cell phone a lot. Sometimes when I'm on the can at work.

#25 notthedinkus

notthedinkus

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 07:48 PM

OK, here is my design for the rotating nerf shotgun.

Posted Image

The design shown is incomplete, as the real one would four or five sets of barrels and mouse traps, which would rotate arround a central piece that contains the trigger assembly. The barrels are basically grenades hooked together, and modified to shoot darts. The mousetraps rotate with them, and hold the grenades in position, until it is set off and snaps forward, thus releasing the darts. I acctually have one segment of Barrels completed allready, and I'll post a new topic with a write up and video once it is done.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users