Photo

The Dark Beast Write-up Part 1 And Part 2(razorbeast Turret)

It's here because you wanted it!

15 replies to this topic

#1 chefdave

chefdave

• Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 10:26 AM

Part 1, modding the actual gun

This is what you are making:
Posted Image
It's much shinier in real life, stupid camera.

Materials required:
hacksaw
etape
pliers
drill
superglue
silicon lube
screwdriver
screw or bolt that fits your tripod

Open up your RB, the internals are likely to explode.
Posted Image

Take the rubber cap on the end of the spring and rip it off. Then twist and pull the orange piece off.
Posted Image

Streach out the spring a bit and replace both parts.
Posted Image

now take the plunger tube and drill a much larger hole in the center so only the rubber is showing.
You may have to superglue the ruber washer back on after you drill
Posted Image

*This next step is very difficult and risky and I would not recomend doing it unless you are an experienced modder*

When I saw the x-bow stlye plunger head I thought, "Wow, thats got to go", then using the idea from doomsayer, I ripped off the x-bow plunger head and built up a dome of hot glue on the plastic part of the plunger, molding it with a wet finger to make sure it did not go over the sides. I then wrapped it in e-tape and now it has an almost perfect seal. (sorry for lack of pics on this step, I'm doing the write-up after I modded it)
Plunger head ripped off:
Posted Image
What the finished product should look like:
Posted Image
Posted Image

*end warning*

Take the plunger tube and lube it like crazy with silicon lubricant.

Take your chains and repair any damage done to them with long thin strips of duct tape, you should wrap it around the damaged spot multiple times
Posted Image

Cut a multiple 2and1/2in segments of cpvc, wrap wrap them with e-tape, and insert them into the chains
Posted Image

Take a 11/32in drill bit and drill holes in the back of each chain.
Posted Image

Grab your newly finished chain and attach a weight of some kind to the leading end, this stops almost all jamming because it acts as a counter-balance, making it easier for the auto-rotation. I used a roll of tape, I couldn't find anything else.
Posted Image

(If you are going to paint it, skip to part 2 otherwise continue)
Now put everything back together, it's a bitch to close and may take multiple trys.
Posted Image

Just range tested it this morning this is what I got:
(the ranges arent perfectly level for the gun wobbles up and down a little while firing)
9 shots

57'
58'
61'
65'
72'
69'
76'
74'
77'

avg range 67.7'

Here is a video of it firing against my garage door (sorry its kinda dark)

Part 2 painting and mounting on next post.

Edited by chefdave, 20 April 2008 - 03:41 PM.

QUOTE(VACC @ Jul 21 2009, 08:13 PM) View Post
QUOTE(crispy) View Post

Talio likes to eat his own shit.
It's a distinct possibility. But seriously, that's all you could come up with? You are a terrible Troll.

#2 g-force

g-force

• Members
  • 345 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 10:30 AM

Sorry I posted between parts.

Edited by g-force, 11 August 2008 - 10:42 PM.

QUOTE(Carbon @ Jul 28 2008, 03:25 AM) View Post

My god, you actually built it. To that, all I can say is, "bravo".

Chubbs

#3 chefdave

chefdave

• Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 11:23 AM

Part 2 painting and mounting

Take your razor beast shell and protect all the surfaces that come in contact with moving parts.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Paint! I had to use 8 coats of kryon fusion black but, it came out beautiful.
Posted Image

Now grab your tripod
Posted Image

and remove anything but the side-side rotation mechanism.
Posted Image

Drill a hole where this screw would be slightly smaller than the one on your tripod.
Posted Image

Attach the finished RB to the tripod with a screw or a bolt and you are finished!!!
Posted Image

Here it is again:
Posted Image

Questions? comments?

Edited by chefdave, 20 April 2008 - 11:25 AM.

QUOTE(crispy) View Post

It's a distinct possibility. But seriously, that's all you could come up with? You are a terrible Troll.

#4 mystefansdontflystraight

mystefansdontflystraight

• Members
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 12:43 PM

Oh my god. I sold my razorbeast like 2 weeks ago, and now you come out with this. I would do this if I still had a razorbeast. Wow. Mine never got ranges like that. I got MAX 50ft (It was the exact gun that nerfer34 did his etape around the plunger head thing on)
QUOTE(Blacksunshine @ Dec 24 2009, 02:15 PM) View Post

QUOTE(white moonlight @ Dec 23 2009, 01:29 PM) View Post

It's just screaming to be rearloading...

I seen a movie about that once.

#5 Bomberman

Bomberman

• Members
  • 730 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 02:19 PM

Hot Damn! I wish I had a RB. This sounds kind of noobish, but how does a razor beast work? Do you crank that little handle, or do you cock, fire, then turn the handle to advance the chain? But an average of 67 feet does'nt lie. With a ROF like that, man, that is one hell of a gun. I would add a spring, or do a spring replacement, but man, sweet.

~Bomberman
QUOTE(silentsnipe) View Post

It's not like that. I put lube on it and its the same. Its just stuck. And when I cock it back it goes farther back then usual. Also I push as hard as I can and it wont go back in. I've tried the methods and they wont work. Also pics are up.

#6 chefdave

chefdave

• Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 02:27 PM

Adding another spring would probably damgae it, you would have to reinforce it like hell, the streached rb spring is already realy powerfull.
QUOTE(crispy) View Post

#7 ompa

ompa

Introductinator

• Moderators
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 02:30 PM

Bomberman, you just crank it and it fires. The crank pulls the plunger back and advances the chain while making a sweet, wonderful, plastic-crunching noise.

~ompa

#8 NerfCrazy

NerfCrazy

• Members
  • 497 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 02:31 PM

That is awesome. Now I want one. One question how does the hole you drilled for the screw hold up? I would think after a while it wouldn't be so strong. You could probably reinforce it with expanding foam in that little area.

#9 chefdave

chefdave

• Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 02:40 PM

It holds fine, since there was alrdy a screw there it is kinda reinforced already
QUOTE(crispy) View Post

#10 NerfCrazy

NerfCrazy

• Members
  • 497 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 02:46 PM

Oh there was? Just goes to show what I know about a rb.

#11 eddieoctane

eddieoctane

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 03:32 PM

Awesome. Me and my 1 brother both got Razorbeasts one year for Christmas. This brings back memories.

A few thoughts, if drilling the back of the chain does weaken it, could you insert a grommet to reinforce the new opening? A rubber grommet could also help you get a better seal between the end of the plunger and the back of the chain.

Also, could you use a quick-release pin of some kind instead of a bolt to fix the gun on the tripod? That way you could detach it from the base and use it as a portal weapon or mounted turret.

Still, great idea.
C8H18

#12 chefdave

chefdave

• Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 03:37 PM

First, the drilling does not weaken the chains
Second, I could do some kind of pin, but the screw takes like 10 seconds to get out with a screwdriver so there is no point
Lastly, The gun is pretty inacurate when not attached to the turret because when you crank it, it shakes like crazy.
QUOTE(crispy) View Post

#13 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 06:51 PM

Awesome work once again.
I proudly add this to the directory.
I don't get my kicks out of you,
I don't feel the way I used to do.
I know its bad,
After what we had,
But I’m just not the angel you knew.

#14 nerfer34

nerfer34

• Members
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 04:28 PM

Oh my god. I sold my razorbeast like 2 weeks ago, and now you come out with this. I would do this if I still had a razorbeast. Wow. Mine never got ranges like that. I got MAX 50ft (It was the exact gun that nerfer34 did his etape around the plunger head thing on)

Yea mine maxed out at 50'. The RZB is just too damn loud.

I'm not sure if I'm buying the 70' ranges but maybe drilling out the holes really do help.

Nice mod, the finished product looks great!
<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->God Damn it Groove, you stole my kill.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->-OMC

#15 chefdave

chefdave

• Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 05:23 PM

I will try and get a video up next weekend, the holes massively increase airflow, the new plunger has almost a perfect seal, and I probably streached the spring too much.
QUOTE(crispy) View Post

#16 Retiate

Retiate

• Members
  • 778 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 05:32 PM

Wow. That's amazing.
Best Razorbeast write up I've seen. Now you just need to get more chains and store them in some kind of ammo box.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users