To anyone with more than one account at NH

19 replies to this topic

#1 Pineapple

Pineapple

Old-school Admin

• Contributors
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 06:16 PM

As I suspend and inspect accounts, I've noticed a growing trend.

Some NerfHaven users have more than one account registered. It appears that they make two or more accounts, either because they were too impatient waiting for the precision validation techniques required at NH, so they end up making one new account a week; or it's because they decide to make a "spare" in case they screw up / mess with us, we ban/ suspend them, and lo and behold, they re-appear as a "reincarnated" member, hopefully behaving better, follow our Code of Conduct, etc.

No more.

Multiple accounts are a direct violation of NerfHaven's Code of Conduct.

If you have a duplicate account that you know of, please delete it immediately. If I myself find that, by random inspection/ account management, I find duplicates, I will not hesitate to delete all accounts found. Your IP address is not the only clue trail you leave behind, in case anyone is wondering. And we've heard enough "little brother" stores, so save it for someone who cares.

Have a nice day,

-Piney-
-Piney- of White Dog Hobbies Armory

<!--quoteo(post=209846:date=Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM:name=boom)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(boom @ Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM) View Post</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
It's to bad you live in hawaii I bet there are not many wars there.Wait what am I saying<b> you live in hawaii you lucky bastard.</b>
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#2 boisie

boisie

• Members
  • 303 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 06:32 PM

Just a quick question, but do we have the ability to delete our accounts? Because last time I checked, in IPB 1.3 (Last Free edition), 2.1.7 (Version after this board, and on the same codebase), and 2.2/2.3 (Overhaulof 2.1 series) Members could NOT delete themselves. How would we go about this?

Waits to get banned for questioning authority... Even though the question will clarify things for other members with, ahem, multiple identities.

Edited by boisie, 23 March 2008 - 06:32 PM.

QUOTE(One Man Clan) View Post
You understand what you just did posting a picture of 4 girls on a message board chock full of nerdy virgins, right?
QUOTE(Foamfoot) View Post
Maybe if we download Ubuntu Christian edition, God will help us install it.

#3 Skitzo

Skitzo

• Members
  • 270 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 08:38 PM

Well in my case I actually do have a little brother that has an account with the same IP and such, does that mean that I'm in violation?
Or are you just talking about newer members that have "little brothers"?
I do have clarification from various mods that he does in fact exist.

I'm just checking to avoid both of us being banned.

Skitzo-

Edited by Skitzo, 23 March 2008 - 09:00 PM.

If soldiers were to begin to think, not one of them would remain in the army.- Frederick The Great

#4 el swifto

el swifto

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 09:11 PM

Well in my case I actually do have a little brother that has an account with the same IP and such, does that mean that I'm in violation?
Or are you just talking about newer members that have "little brothers"?
I do have clarification from various mods that he does in fact exist.

I'm just checking to avoid both of us being banned.

Skitzo-

Well, you could just share an account....

#5 boisie

boisie

• Members
  • 303 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 09:13 PM

But the one half of "You" could get you banned...
You understand what you just did posting a picture of 4 girls on a message board chock full of nerdy virgins, right?

#6 General Cole

General Cole

• Banned
  • 868 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 11:11 PM

I actually have two accounts because my first ( Lt. Cole) was banned, and I got my second approved by CXWQ himself. So ask him about it if you need clarification if you feel it necessary. I don't know if it is possibe but I would reccommend that you ban the IP in entirety. That is what we do at FU.
We should stop calling out/making fun of/pissing GC off. He's actually contributed and is available for trade. He's a better than average member no doubt. Got your back Cole.
-Nerfer34

You know what... I know it's kinda late... but Props Cole.
-Baghead

#7 Green Riptide

Green Riptide

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 11:13 PM

INCOMING WALL OF TEXT.
There will be no tl:dr; I'm assuming that you're all intelligent enough to read the entire post before commenting.

But the one half of "You" could get you banned...

Precisely. I share interests with my little brother (and thus accounts having the same ip) on a multitude of sites/games/etc. This does not include the haven. The reason for the different accounts varies; sometimes you can only have one character per account and he wants to play the game as well; sometimes I just don't want him posting ignorant bullshit under the screenname I'm recognized as in that particular community. Most of the time he even operates on a different access point, but since we're on a wireless network we share an ip. Though they can undeniably be convenient get-out-of-jail-free cards, "little brother stories", like "new apartment, previous owner left Internet connection installed" , "Internet co. routinely changed my ip" and "public library" stories are true a good percentage of the time.
As I see it there are a few routes to be taken here, but it boils down to two very basic ones; choosing to ignore the fact that sometimes more than one person under a shared ip attends the same site, or choosing to accommodate that fact. As a passing observer, I would think the haven (it's administration, to be precise) would be fairly forgiving in matters involving little brothers, mostly because of the rather visible encouraging of the hobby in younger generations. (One need look no further than the 'staff' - See FA24's accomplice, Piney's kids, etc.) To be honest, if you have a brother, he's more likely than not going to be involved in your testing and manufacture of modded foam weaponry just because he sees you fairly regularly and you're doing NERF-related things fairly regularly. It can be easily discerned that this is an issue that is going to recur, and logically it makes sense to do something about it.
So what can NH do about little brothers without sacrificing the hard-nosed reputation? I realize that un-banning every member who sends an email saying "zomg it was my little brother" is pulling the rug out from under the accepted authorities, so that is out of the question. There are some things that could be done, though.
-1-
User-Submitted Lists. This would essentially entail a clause being added to the CoC stating that "If you have a little brother who shares your account or share a network [ip] with other users, Post in this thread/send an email here/etc. with a brief message detailing your situation. to prevent accidental banhammering." A mod-viewable-only thread/dump email account would be created for these messages to be sent to. Mods wouldn't have any added workload except keeping the email account open or whatnot. When a user was banned mistakenly (it will happen eventually, so not when/if) they would send off an email to one of the mods/admins asking very nicely that they be checked against the lil' bro database and then wait for the mods to feel merciful enough to bother looking into it. Once they had a post in the lil' bro thread confirmed, then the mods could look into it further if they wanted to. This places the burden of proof primarily on the user- users could be required to provide photo evidence in their initial post in that thread/email if you wanted to take it that far, even just to continue asserting the strict nature of the haven's rule enforcement. Additionally, since this was in the CoC (which everyone should have read) any cases that don't have a post in the lil' bro thread or an email in the inbox can immediately be dismissed since they didn't follow the rules anyway. This shouldn't take much effort to initiate- just make a thread and wait. If there are going to be pictures in the thread it would probably be desired by some of the parties involved that only the mods be able to see their pictures. (We wear masks for a reason.)
-2-
The probably harder way and maybe not possible way- Multiple profiles per account. I play a few online games where even if you have one account you can still use multiple classes/characters without losing your others. This is accomplished through the use of profiles. I log in with my username/pass and then select a profile, and depending on which one I pick I have different keyboard setups and different saved stats. For some servers I even have the option of logging in to the game launcher, then selecting the username who's stats I want to call up, then selecting the profile I want to use from that username. This same concept could be transferred to the forum realm, but probably not without a huge amount of work. basically it would involve a user logging into the forums and then being prompted what profile they wanted to use. The profiles would be password protected. This way you could ban one profile if you know there are multiple users on the same account, or just ip ban the entire account if you know that only one person uses account. Still, this idea verges on overcomplication and would probably require -1- as foundation anyway, which I'm 115% sure is too much work.

If I think of anything more streamlined the -1- I'll add it.
Thanks for reading.

#8 Eboreg

Eboreg

• Banned
  • 220 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 06:33 AM

Or, you could suggest changing their passwords and giving their little brothers another account.
Always bring your sword to battle.

I pity the fool who attempts to use a single-shot blaster against me.

#9 boisie

boisie

• Members
  • 303 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 09:24 AM

Or you could just require a picture of you and your brother, holding signs of each account. This shows who is who, and gives proof of the little brothers reality.

#10 Quilan Fett

Quilan Fett

• Members
  • 678 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 10:05 AM

Then again, I could go to the park and give some random kid $5 to take a picture with me.
SNAP Shotgun

This guy can see the future!

QUOTE(pokemaster @ Mar 3 2009, 04:18 PM) View Post

hasbro in a nerf war!!!!! dude the will cancel it and confinscate are guns

#11 The Infinite Shindig

The Infinite Shindig

Arma-what-now?

• Contributors
  • 1,383 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 10:06 AM

I think I speak for the admins when I say we don't have the energy to verify little brother stories. Your fate is determined by how benevolent the admin who has discovered the violation is feeling. That's how it has always been, and that's how it will continue to be. Right now there is little tolerance.

As far as deleting your duplicate accounts goes; If you have one, you had best PM an admin FAST and have them take care of it.
Shindig of the Lawn Chair Mafia

<a href="http://www.albinobla.../flash/posting" target="_blank">Posting and You</a>

#12 Langley

Langley

LGLF - Since 2002

• Administrators
  • 2,997 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 10:10 AM

A note about banning by IP. Most residences have an IP which changes from week to week, and most students living on campus share an IP with everyone else in their building if not their whole campus.

Pam_Isley is a friend who registered on a machine I frequently log in from.

That having been said, Bob the Impaler is a gimmick account which you are free to delete.

You can poop in my toilet anytime champ.

2016 Nerf War Schedule
Bless you, my son. Now recite 3 New Members Guides and 5 Code of Conducts for your sins.

#13 boisie

boisie

• Members
  • 303 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 12:04 PM

Yeah, can you at least run an ip whois on the account, to check if they are a college or something?

I know that admining a site this big is hard. But when we try to get younger generations involved, it usually leads to them joining on the same sites your on. If this is at school, or they registered at your house, then you both get banned, its a "WTH?" moment.

Edited by boisie, 24 March 2008 - 12:07 PM.

#14 imaseoulman

imaseoulman

• Members
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 05:13 PM

Personally, I think this actually rather simple. If you do in fact have a little brother, don't let him use your account. Don't tell him what your password is. Remember that your little brother needs to be at least thirteen to be on the forums. You should both be old enough to act mature enough to handle the situation. And ask yourselves, is there really a reason for you both to post? If you're the older brother, abuse your authority and tell him you can post his mods/ask his questions for him. Don't give him the password. Simple.

#15 g-force

g-force

• Members
  • 345 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 10:55 AM

I have a twin brother who also has an acount as he knows how to use the camera and i don't.
QUOTE(Carbon @ Jul 28 2008, 03:25 AM) View Post

My god, you actually built it. To that, all I can say is, "bravo".

Chubbs

#16 venom213

venom213

• Validating
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 02:20 PM

My friend has logged in at my house on his account. But his account was created on his computer which has a different IP of course. Just to clarify, is that okay?

Edited by venom213, 28 March 2008 - 02:24 PM.

#17 One Man Clan

One Man Clan

TOFTS

• Contributors
  • 2,170 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 02:33 PM

Relax everyone. If you don't belong here, we already know and took care of it. If you are still here, your time just hasn't run out yet.
I hate you.

#18 pulletman

pulletman

• Banned
  • 156 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 01:47 AM

My sister (15) has an account pending. She won't use mine because she hates me. :cry:
QUOTE(Ro-Sham-Bo @ Mar 28 2008, 08:28 PM) View Post

(Never heard an old woman scream so loud) -Don't sigg that

QUOTE(Crimmy @ Apr 23 2008, 09:31 AM) View Post

i'm retarded

#19 sourskttles772

sourskttles772

• Banned
  • 263 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 06:43 AM

I probably made another account because I had waited a long time for validation how do I delete it?
http://nerfon.smffor...3.com/index.php
One man Clan:
I saw the Crossbow re-release on the shelf at my local Target, but I didn't want to tell anyone because I wanted them all to myself. I hid them all behind Dora the Explorer toys....
[/quote]

#20 xNFx 37

xNFx 37

• Members
  • 455 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 07:18 AM

As far as deleting your duplicate accounts goes; If you have one, you had best PM an admin FAST and have them take care of it.

it also has a cock on it

-Chief

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users