Razor Fin Mod

Rebarreled + pics

7 replies to this topic

#1 Team Slaya

Team Slaya

• Members
  • 615 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 05:08 PM

So I recently got a Razor Fin from Poo, and decided to dig right in. I looked in the mods directory and found no official barrel mod, so I decided to take pictures while I went along and see how it came out. Here's what I did.

Posted Image

The razor fin's internals are fun - you get two barrels that automatically switch when you depress the handle enough. This means that the setup is a bit dicey, however. Once you have the gun open, there's a bunch of pieces that you have to save in order for the barrel switching to maintain intact. You get the three fins, which hold the top white piece that they're connected to in place. That white piece has a peg that the arm of the auto switch mechanism attaches to, allowing the auto switch to stay in place. I put dashes on the three fins, #'s 1-3, for an easier time when I put them back in. Here's a closer view.

Posted Image

You can take everything out except the plunger tube and the barrels for right now, and put them somewhere where you won't misplace them. I also suggest putting dashes on the fins in the order that they go in, #'s 1-3, so that you can get them into place easier later. Once that's all out, you should be left with this.

Posted Image

The plunger ain't too bad, and the spring is decent for a stock gun. I'm not gonna replace it this time around, but I will definitely later.

Posted Image

Now, you might notice that the barrels really just don't want to move. That's because they're glued in via these blue pieces of plastic, which are more problematic than you might think.

Posted Image
Posted Image

To get these out I took my trusty leatherman knife and pushed. Kind of a sawing motion but more just sliding through the plastic than sawing at it.

Posted Image

Once the blue pieces are out the barrels will slide right out. You want to cut them right at that small black MS paint line.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Now we need to cut out the air restrictors. Like the nubs before, your knife will work fine, and is quicker than pliers. You can also get all of the plastic out with your knife. Comparison of one done and one not -

Posted Image

I chose 3" CPVC barrels for this gun, it seemed to be just enough length for the tight fit on my darts, and slightly longer than the original barrels. 17/32 brass or whatever is tight on your darts will work as well.

Posted Image

To get a good seal, I decided to shove the barrels into the nubs of the old barrels. But the CPVC just barely didn't fit, so I sanded out the nubs with my drill press. Any form of sanding will work, just make sure that you don't go through the plastic. And remember, you can always sand more, not less. :(

Posted Image

A couple minutes and a large pile of orange dust, they're in and glued!

Posted Image

I then ran another bead of hot glue around the barrels and threw the original barrel sleeve on it. Straightens the barrels out and makes 'em look all nice.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Crappy image post limit... Don't you post!

Part 2!

To finish up I wrapped the plunger head in e-tape and lubed it up. I use M1 All Purpose Lubricant, it doesn't smell too bad and doesn't eat rubber. Works for me.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Now the re-assembly is the toughest part. First of all, there's a spring on the white part which holds the fins that originally attached to the upper blue nub (there's a picture of it with my knife in it) that held the barrels in. Considering that I obliterated the blue nub, I had to improvise. I took my knife and wiggled it through one of the ridges on the barrel sleeve and ran the spring through that. Hopefully the picture will capture the essence of this one. The crappy, MS paint'd arrows are pointing to the hole.

Posted Image

Then you've gotta throw everything back in. Refer to the first two pics for that step. Make sure that the arm that runs from the auto rotation mechanism is in place on it's nub - that's the part that slips out the most. The catch spring is also pretty strong.

And then you're done! :D

Posted Image

Ranges are sketchy right now because it's raining and I have no tape measure. I will update with ranges eventually. My rough ESTIMATE is ~50' with stefans and ~55-60' with converted tagger darts.

Comments, etc are welcome.

TS

#2 xNFx 37

xNFx 37

• Members
  • 455 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 05:13 PM

Yo, that is sweet! That has a lot of bits and pieces for the two shot mech.

If poo put up his auction yesterday, how did you get the gun in one day?
it also has a cock on it

-Chief

#3 Team Slaya

Team Slaya

• Members
  • 615 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 05:16 PM

Poo emailed me a while ago when I put up my WTB thread. So I got it before that thread went up.

Thanks! And yeah, at points it seems to be more work than it's worth for the mechanism.

TS

#4 firstblood

firstblood

• Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 05:22 PM

[quote name='Team_Slaya' date='Feb 13 2008, 04:08 PM' post='139988']
So I recently got a Razor Fin from Poo, and decided to dig right in.

Oh my gosh I couldn't stop laughing. Good mod though.
So I recently got a Razor Fin from Poo, and decided to dig right in.

#5 PointBlank

PointBlank

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 05:23 PM

That look cool. And nice one about digging into poo.
You can agree with me.... or you can be wrong.

My Latest Mods
The Cyclops
Pointblank Titan

#6 Axelion burnout

Axelion burnout

• Members
  • 292 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 06:34 PM

Forsaken didn't do a barrel mod, but he did a nice minimization.

However I must compliment you on keeping the gun looking almost completely stock, I always like that. And I always like to read about, and look at a gun that I don't own. Just to see how it works. Also, how awkward is this to fire, the trigger is where you hold it? So strange...
\,,/(^_^)\,,/

#7 Team Slaya

Team Slaya

• Members
  • 615 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 06:37 PM

Bahahaha, I didn't even think about the digging in comment. :(

Thanks a bunch. @ Axelion, the trigger is surprisingly comfy. It makes you feel like you're aiming straight when you're aiming a little bit upwards, but only by a little bit, so it's still fine.

TS

#8 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 11:06 PM

Good job, consider it added. I like the firing style of this gun.
I don't get my kicks out of you,
I don't feel the way I used to do.
I know its bad,
After what we had,
But I’m just not the angel you knew.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users