Photo

Potc Flintlock Blaster

17 replies to this topic

#1 Cannonball

Cannonball

• Members
  • 357 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 02:02 AM

I'm still a novice when it comes to modifying guns, but I've got a good number under my belt right now so don't expect anything phenomenal. There's the disclaimer, on with the show.

Here she is.
Posted Image

This little number came in a two pack on ebay for something like 20 bucks in total. Stock ranges were pitiful, measuring around 10 feet or so if you're lucky because there really is no real barrel to be had. The cool thing about it is it's a flintlock of course, and you cock it by pulling the hammer back.

Here's what you'll be needing:

-around 5 inches of pvc
-4 inches of thick-walled OMC PETG
-dremel, complete with cutting and sanding bits
-small philips head screw driver
-plumbers goop
-some craft foam (optional)

alright, so flip the gun over to the other side so you can get at those screws. Now when they are all removed, you can either just snap the orange ring at the end of the blaster because it is that easy, or just dremel it off now. I ended up having to dremel it when I put the new barrel in so you might as well do it now.

Here are the insides. Pay attention to the little mechanism that cocks the gun. The hammer pushes back a little arm that slides the plunger rod thrown a little channel in the shell that hooks it onto the catch. No pulling involved.
Posted Image

Pull out the plunger tube and rod and let's get to work. Here it is compared to that of a Nitefinder. Not really impressive. I ended up switching the spring for another one of a thicker gauge, but short a couple rings.
Posted Image

Cut the orange part right around where I cut it. That gives you a perfect place to put your petg. Yank off the little protrusion on the side of that and you are ready to goop on your barrel. I completely forgot to take pictures of that part, but that really isn't too hard to figure out. I nest the petg in pvc and it was good to go.
Posted Image

Now here it gets a little tricky. You want to sand down the front of the shell to make room for the barrel. Be careful though because the plastic really isn't thick at all and it is quite easy to put holes in the shell, I did it a couple of times but I ended up just sanding all of it off to expose more of the barrel in preparation for an eventual paint job.
Posted Image

After that, just fit it in there and screw the shell together. Now I forgot to mention the craft foam. I put two rings of it around the plunger rod to put a little more tension on the spring. You can do whatever you want to substitute. That's just what I had on hand at the time.

Here's the finished product in front of the Jolly Roger on my wall. Who isn't a pirate at heart anyway right?
Posted Image

Compared to my nitefinder:
Posted Image

After all of that, ranges were disappointing. around 20-35 feet tops when fired flat. I have some ideas floating around on how I can better use the shell, which is cool in my opinion. I may just slap a nf tube in there and see what happens. But ya..

Tharr, she Blows

questions, comments, you know what to do.

#2 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 03:02 AM

The internals really remind me of buzz bee like quality.
Does it say on the gun who makes it?
Good job for being first on this one.
I don't get my kicks out of you,
I don't feel the way I used to do.
I know its bad,
After what we had,
But I’m just not the angel you knew.

#3 PointBlank

PointBlank

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 06:50 AM

It still looks pretty cool. Even if the ranges suck.
You can agree with me.... or you can be wrong.

My Latest Mods
The Cyclops
Pointblank Titan

#4 NerfMonkey

NerfMonkey

• Members
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 12:58 PM

The plunger tube and barrel assembly are identical to a Single Tek.
SexD Warves

#5 joeyaglr444

joeyaglr444

• Members
  • 377 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 02:25 PM

All Disney blasters are indeed buzzbee and also comes with buzzbee quality.
Boys Become Men....Men Become Wolves

Blaffair to Rememblack.

#6 Bomberman

Bomberman

• Members
  • 730 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 03:04 PM

What size PVC did you use? I have a little different plan for it, I saw some at the KB toys nearest me. I might stop over there on Thursday when I go down to portland, Oregon. It won't serve anything close to a secondary, but more of a novelty.
QUOTE(silentsnipe) View Post

It's not like that. I put lube on it and its the same. Its just stuck. And when I cock it back it goes farther back then usual. Also I push as hard as I can and it wont go back in. I've tried the methods and they wont work. Also pics are up.

#7 rokor

rokor

• Members
  • 792 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 03:39 PM

saw something very similar, but a different colour, at the Dollarama near me. I might try something like this but with PETG and a couple different springs.
"Sorry rokor...my cousin is gay too...it's okay...we're tolerant"
Talio in Shoutbox.

#8 Cannonball

Cannonball

• Members
  • 357 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 04:47 PM

The plunger tube and barrel assembly are identical to a Single Tek.

Ya, it definitely does. I really didn't realize that until now. It definitely looks better than a single tek though.

What size PVC did you use? I have a little different plan for it, I saw some at the KB toys nearest me. I might stop over there on Thursday when I go down to portland, Oregon. It won't serve anything close to a secondary, but more of a novelty.

I used 1/2 inch PVC with petg nested inside. I might cut the barrel down to try some stock darts on it and see how that goes. I have some parts laying around that may make this gun decent, but I have to rummage through my pile to find them.

And thanks for all the kind words everyone.

#9 frost vectron

frost vectron

• Members
  • 526 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 09:04 PM

The gun looks really great. It's a shame that the ranges are short.

It seems like any kind of spring replacement would not work out well since you'd be putting a lot of stress on the cocking mechanism. If there was some way to increase the diameter of the plunger tube to get it up to nitefinder specifications, I think power would increase by quite a bit.

Also, by looking at the internals, it seems like the plunger tube's full length isn't being used by the distance available for cocking.

I think that's probably more work than it's worth, though. This gun would be fun to carry around at a halloween party.
Latest Modification: The Professional

"I am a leaf on the wind--watch how I soar" - Hoban "Wash" Washburne, Serenity.

#10 firstblood

firstblood

• Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 09:16 PM

Good job. I personally think it would be a cool last resort weapon.

100th Post Whoot.
So I recently got a Razor Fin from Poo, and decided to dig right in.

#11 Cannonball

Cannonball

• Members
  • 357 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 12:23 AM

The gun looks really great. It's a shame that the ranges are short.

It seems like any kind of spring replacement would not work out well since you'd be putting a lot of stress on the cocking mechanism. If there was some way to increase the diameter of the plunger tube to get it up to nitefinder specifications, I think power would increase by quite a bit.

Also, by looking at the internals, it seems like the plunger tube's full length isn't being used by the distance available for cocking.

I think that's probably more work than it's worth, though. This gun would be fun to carry around at a halloween party.

You are correct. I tried winding another spring in there with it but it didn't work out too well. Oh well. I've been toying with the idea of replacing the plunger and rod with that of a strongarm. The only thing i'd need would be for the catch to work. the way the strongarm plunger rod is looks like a pretty good place to start. Needless to say I'd have to forget about using the original cocking mechanism. I'll throw up some pictures of that whenever I figure it out.

#12 Ubermensch

Ubermensch

• Members
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 06:58 AM

Nice; at least they can easily be dual wielded.
"In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."-Carl Sagan
Nerf Rocket Air Launcher

#13 PointBlank

PointBlank

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 10:50 PM

I think it would probably go allot farther if you used brass, maybe if you nested some in the pvc that you have already mounted to it.
You can agree with me.... or you can be wrong.

My Latest Mods
The Cyclops
Pointblank Titan

#14 Cannonball

Cannonball

• Members
  • 357 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 11:03 PM

I guess I could buy some brass to fit in the petg already in the pvc but I don't think the change would be drastic.

#15 Quilan Fett

Quilan Fett

• Members
  • 678 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 11:26 PM

Brass isn't like some miracle range adder. I would say you are just as well off with PETG.
SNAP Shotgun

This guy can see the future!

QUOTE(pokemaster @ Mar 3 2009, 04:18 PM) View Post

hasbro in a nerf war!!!!! dude the will cancel it and confinscate are guns

#16 Cannonball

Cannonball

• Members
  • 357 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 12:25 AM

nevermind

Edited by Cannonball, 15 February 2008 - 12:26 AM.

#17 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 05:11 PM

Just wanted to point out that this is indeed a Buzz Bee product. The color variation is a promotional item made for Disney, but supposedly they also make it in a different color scheme.
http://www.buzzbeeto...ters/04370.html

Added to the wiki: http://nerfhq.com/wi...e=Pirate_Pistol

Edited by CaptainSlug, 17 February 2008 - 05:26 PM.

The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#18 Mod Watchamacallit

Mod Watchamacallit

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 06:54 PM

thats pretty good. i dunno though. you NF doesn't look to powerful. I did a PVC barrel mod on my NF too and it didnt work... Oh well. Nice job on that ole flintlock
lets hope the bad guy gets away.......

----[[-]]------------------[[8]]----[[8]]<----- psp game (+[_].:)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users