Photo

Mini Titan Rocket

Easy to make small titan missle out of stuff from around the house.

16 replies to this topic

#1 Axelion burnout

Axelion burnout

• Members
  • 292 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 08:16 PM

I just got a Titan recently at the Target clearance, and I have been searching around for how to make Titan rockets.

I tried the pool noodle technique, and that failed miserably for me. So I found an old toilet paper roll and shoved a Nerf Ball in it. Without the fins it worked pretty well, but now with fins added it stabalizes just like the Titan rocket.

Here are the materials you will need.
  • Duct Tape
  • Marker
  • Toilet Paper Tube
  • Nerf Ball
  • Hot Glue
  • Cardboard
  • Knife or Scissors
Posted Image

After gathering the materials you need to carefully shove the ball in the tube so its about halfway in. Then wrap a piece of duct tape around the tube so it doesn't split open.
Posted Image

Cut out fins for your mini rocket using cardboard or craft foam.

I made the fins by holding the mini rocket up to the Titan rocket, and drew a line relative to where the fins were placed on the Titan rocket. Hot glue the fins on once you mark the correct spot to put them.
Posted Image

Make sure to angle the fins about the same way the Titan rockets are.
Posted Image

Make 3 fins for the mini rocket and hopefully it looks something like this
Posted Image

Compared to the Titan Rocket
Posted Image

Ranges (stock Titan, 20 pumps)

Mini Rocket 1 - 53 feet
Mini Rocket 2 - 41 feet
Titan Rocket - 62 feet

(I measured my ranges with measuring tape, a level shot, and there was no wind)

You can even connect the mini rockets together. Sometimes they come apart during flight but they normally stay together.
Posted Image

Any questions, and comments would be appreciated.

Edited by Axelion_burnout, 13 January 2008 - 03:40 PM.

\,,/(^_^)\,,/

#2 nerfalchemist

nerfalchemist

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 08:33 PM

Without the fins it worked pretty well, but now with fins added it spirals just like the Titan rocket.

Is it still accurate even though it spirals?

It's like saying that your bottled water has a secret ingredient! Well yes, water!

#3 Axelion burnout

Axelion burnout

• Members
  • 292 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 08:40 PM

Yes, its the good kind of spiral. Like the Titan Rocket normally does.

Edit: After reading that, it did sound confusing (I changed it). What I meant was that the rocket is now stabalized in flight. Just like how when you throw a football you want it to spiral.

Edited by Axelion_burnout, 12 January 2008 - 08:50 PM.

\,,/(^_^)\,,/

#4 Maeric

Maeric

• Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 08:51 PM

So... does the rocket fit over the stock barrel like the normal rocket? if so, thats a really cool find. And I think if you put 2 sets of fins on it, you might be able to get more accuracy.

EDIT: Sorry, forgot to say: OMFG!!!!111!!!!!1!!! That's AWESOME!!! But seriously, it's really cool. I'll have a write up soon on how to increase the range of the stock missle.

Edited by Maeric, 12 January 2008 - 08:55 PM.

Active on H3Artificer as Halacar. GT: Halacar send me an invite if you wanna forge.
I'm amazing at Forza3! I destroyed the engine of a 2mil C car by downshifting! YAY!
I hate you. And all noobs who are like "OMFG i r liek, glued sh1t 2 shit. jak offf ma ego. NAOW!"

#5 Axelion burnout

Axelion burnout

• Members
  • 292 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 08:56 PM

It fits perfectly over the barrel, the seal is almost perfect.

I noticed when trying to make the pool noodle rocket that a paper towel (at least mine) has a pretty noticeable seal problem, so I just tried a toilet paper roll.

Other brands might have different roll sizes but I use Anglesoft.

Edit: Thanks for the compliment.

Edited by Axelion_burnout, 12 January 2008 - 09:09 PM.

\,,/(^_^)\,,/

#6 bobafett109

bobafett109

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 10:17 PM

You can even connect the mini rockets together. Sometimes they come apart during flight but they normally stay together.
Posted Image

If you connect them together, do not use fins on the one farther up. It decreases stability and accuracy. The reasons fins are at the back are to use the air resistance to keep it straight. If you have fins above the center of gravity, It gets worse accuracy. (Center of gravity is where it balances)
Here is a quick drawing I did to help describe it. NOTE: The center of gravity is guessed. It is not where it really is.
Posted Image
With the rocket with fins on the bottom only, when it gets tilted the airflow pushes it back straight. On the second one, with fins above and below, The same thing happens, but also getting countered by the top fins doing the exact opposite. Think of the center of gravity as an axis that the rocket spins on. Bottom fins push it counter clockwise if it gets tilted clockwise, the top fins push it MORE clockwise.
QUOTE(Carbon @ Feb 17 2008, 10:17 PM) View Post

QUOTE(FoamSniper @ Feb 18 2008, 12:08 AM) View Post

You're probably all wondering how to get a range of 95' from a mech 20

I was figuring you threw it.

#7 Prometheus

Prometheus

• Members
  • 780 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 11:51 PM

Why do some cruise missiles have fins near the front?
QUOTE(VACC @ Jan 24 2008, 06:12 AM) View Post
I am NEVER going to sleep naked in the bed of a former child star ever again....seriously

#8 bobafan

bobafan

• Members
  • 635 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 12:46 AM

Posted Image
Fins are the keel of aeronatics. They align a progectile to the air current by not allowing a crosscurrent.

Missles have many fins because it adds stability to steering. It is like a car with front wheel steering opposed to rear.
thaygor: all i remimber is pumping it hard and shooting than trying to pump again

---

<death09>my girlfriend broke up with me and sent me pix of her and her new boyfriend in bed
<ktp753>ouch.
<death09>yeah.i sent them to her dad

#9 Axelion burnout

Axelion burnout

• Members
  • 292 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 02:28 AM

Very interesting, I did notice a lack in accuracy when I shoved 2 of them together. However the only reason I do that is hoping that they split apart and turn into 2 rockets to dodge. Thanks for the diagram though, that was helpful.

Also something else I noticed, if you hold the rocket on the barrel it become quite an effective ball launcher. This is not suggested because it messes up the end of the toilet paper tube. But that just shows how effective of a seal the toilet paper tube has on the Titan.

Edited by Axelion_burnout, 13 January 2008 - 02:30 AM.

\,,/(^_^)\,,/

#10 Ro-Sham-Bo

Ro-Sham-Bo

• Members
  • 167 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 08:07 AM

Is the ping pong ball really enough weight? It dosnt seem like it to me but I'm not expert
QUOTE(baghead @ Dec 31 2008, 07:58 PM) View Post

Wait a second? a Canadian National team... just won at Hockey!?

who would have ever seen that coming?

#11 PC III

PC III

• Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 08:11 AM

a Nerf Ball

He used a ballistic-ball, not a ping-pong ball.

Edited by P.C. III, 13 January 2008 - 08:12 AM.

QUOTE(ultra920 @ May 19 2008, 06:18 PM) View Post

Don't want to shove balls in tight spaces. Trust me, bad idea.

For sale: Vintage WWII French rifles. Dropped once, never fired.

#12 bobafett109

bobafett109

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 09:33 AM

Posted Image
Fins are the keel of aeronatics. They align a progectile to the air current by not allowing a crosscurrent.

Missles have many fins because it adds stability to steering. It is like a car with front wheel steering opposed to rear.

So if you want to have fins on the front for twist, have the fins be smaller than the ones near the back.
QUOTE(Carbon @ Feb 17 2008, 10:17 PM) View Post

QUOTE(FoamSniper @ Feb 18 2008, 12:08 AM) View Post

You're probably all wondering how to get a range of 95' from a mech 20

I was figuring you threw it.

#13 MoonMaster

MoonMaster

• Members
  • 180 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 10:29 AM

I have one suggestion (sp?) to make after building several homemade rockets and launchers from scratch.
If you tape two tubes together to make one larger tube, weight only one end and put fins on the other, you will mast likely get better ranges due to the greater acceleration time before the missile moves only on inertia.

5. Protip: sarcasm is good for making someone else look like more of an idiot than they already do. However, if you are an idiot to start with, using sarcasm just makes you look like a COLOSSAL idiot.

#14 sn1per

sn1per

• Banned
  • 249 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 01:44 PM

Would all those peices of leftover christmas wrapping paper tubes work for this?
QUOTE(Scotch @ Feb 3 2008, 05:47 PM) View Post

sn1per I appreciate your humor, that made me laugh literally out loud.

"It's a free country, UNDER MY DICTATORSHIP!!!"
-Connor

#15 Axelion burnout

Axelion burnout

• Members
  • 292 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 01:47 PM

Thanks for the help, bobafan and bobafett.

Moonmaster, after making the mini rocket I would like to make a double tube rocket, sadly I am out of toilet paper tubes. I agree with you on the fact that it would probably go the distance of the Titan rocket because it would be all the way on the barrel of the gun. I just have to wait another day or two to get some more tubes.

Edit: Sorry didn't see you there Sn1per. It depends, each company will have different size and length tubing for their wrapping paper, so its basically just trial and error seeing which ones fit onto the Titan barrel. The toilet paper roll has a very good seal, as I said before it turns into an effective ball launcher if you hold the rocket on and fire the ball out of the end.

Edited by Axelion_burnout, 13 January 2008 - 01:50 PM.

\,,/(^_^)\,,/

#16 sn1per

sn1per

• Banned
  • 249 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 02:03 PM

Thanks for the help, bobafan and bobafett.

Moonmaster, after making the mini rocket I would like to make a double tube rocket, sadly I am out of toilet paper tubes. I agree with you on the fact that it would probably go the distance of the Titan rocket because it would be all the way on the barrel of the gun. I just have to wait another day or two to get some more tubes.

Edit: Sorry didn't see you there Sn1per. It depends, each company will have different size and length tubing for their wrapping paper, so its basically just trial and error seeing which ones fit onto the Titan barrel. The toilet paper roll has a very good seal, as I said before it turns into an effective ball launcher if you hold the rocket on and fire the ball out of the end.

Aren't most paper towel tubes the same diameter and double the size (cut in half) of toilet paper tubes?
QUOTE(Scotch @ Feb 3 2008, 05:47 PM) View Post

sn1per I appreciate your humor, that made me laugh literally out loud.

"It's a free country, UNDER MY DICTATORSHIP!!!"
-Connor

#17 Axelion burnout

Axelion burnout

• Members
  • 292 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 02:17 PM

Mine were not, they had a larger diameter and didn't fit the Titan barrel as well. You can always see if yours fit though. But they were double the length of a toilet paper tube.

Edited by Axelion_burnout, 13 January 2008 - 02:17 PM.

\,,/(^_^)\,,/

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users