At3k Mod

Saving Your 3K

11 replies to this topic

#1 nerfer34

nerfer34

• Members
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 10:29 PM

OK, so here I will show you how to save you at3k when a piece from the turret devive has broke. Here's the piece that broke for me.
Posted Image

I tried re-gluing many times, they all eventually broke off.

So let's get this straight. DO NOT DO THIS MOD IF YOUR AT3K IS WORKING FINE. THIS MOD GETS RID OF THE BEST PART OF THE 3K, THE AUTO ROTATED TURRET.

But in the end, this mod should come close to comparing to a turretted 3k.

Open up the 3k, it's pretty easy.
Here are the internals without the pump.
Posted Image
You can choose not to plug the pump if you really don't want to risk your gun, but I've found that the 3k is tough and doesn't leak, so I went ahead and plugged it. For more info on plugging the pump on an air gun, use Nerfhaven's SEARCH feature.

Posted Image

Next I wanted to extend the pump because I'm not a big fan of the stock 3k pump. I took a dowel, I wish I could tell you the exact size.... I bought it at Home Depot and I know it's above 1/2" in size. I think it may be 9/16" or 19/32" dowel size. It fits PERFECTLY in the 3k pump. So just hotglue it in there and cut it to a reasonable size, it doesn't matter much.
Posted Image
Now see that white piece in my above picture, that was the piece that broke for me. Cut it off so it looks like thisPosted Image
Here is the new completed pump- I added some PVC for a grip.
Posted Image
Now we have to make the sheel accomodate the new pump. This should be easy enough, just take your hacksaw or dremel and cut it like this. Some may think it's a little messy, but hey this gun had some problems before and this gap can easily be touched up later with putty or foam.

Posted Image
It's time to get rid of the goo gauge, I HATE the goo gauge. It seems like it makes me just keep pumpin and pumpin..... Here's the stupid gauge.
Posted Image
Here's how to remove it- Cut the orange and clear tubing closest to the gauge. Then take one of these or a barb would work.
Posted Image
Now connect the tubes with it, so it looks like this
Posted Image

OK now to get that turret off, since it serves no function. Unscrew all of the screws that hold down the tank and rotation pieces. Remove all pieces that you can. Everything(except for the tank obviously). You should get down to this
Posted Image
And all of this should be what you have removed(I just used the other shell as a tray)
Posted Image
Now see that metal bar that is holding in the turret? There are these 2 little nubs of metal that need to be removed to remove the turret and the metal bar. You can only really see one in this picture
Posted Image
Well take a pair of these
Posted Image
And cut one end off, you'll notice from here, you can just take a small screwdriver and poke the other little metal nub through the other side. SO it's off!
Posted Image

Posted ImageNow you can put on your barrel material or a coupler. I gooped on a coupler.
Posted Image
After it dries, screw it back in to the casing
Posted Image
Now here's where it got a little tricky. With the new pump, there was a chance that you could pull the pump out all the way, which I didn't want. So I marked how far I wanted the pump to extend and put some hotglue there and let it dry. The hot glue stops the pump from going out to far. I also put some hotglue below the pump to act as a track.
Posted Image
For best results, do the same gluing to the other half of the shell. Now close the gun up and you're done!
Posted Image

I'm throwing my Inline Simple Clip on there, so now it has 4 shots too! The best part is, is that this pump extends further than any other 3k mods out there, so 1 pump is very efficient and quick to fill the tank!

Ranges with 1 pump are VERY good. Singled with a 8" barrel and 1 pump, this thing gets the same as my maxshot which is 90'.

With my 4 shot inline, I'm getting low 80s- 80'.

I will update this, when I get my shotgun attachment working. I'm also going to paint this.
<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->God Damn it Groove, you stole my kill.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->-OMC

#2 xNFx 37

xNFx 37

• Members
  • 455 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 10:40 PM

Nice mod! But where do you get those tube connectors or barbs? ANd can you remove the goo gauge on a 2K the same way as you did with your 3k? Because mine is always filled, so if pump too much the gauge will explode :o
it also has a cock on it

-Chief

#3 keef

keef

• Members
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 10:41 PM

http://nerfhaven.com...wtopic=9841&hl=
Do that if you wanted to keep the auto rotation.
Timothy M-Lick <3

#4 keef

keef

• Members
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 10:41 PM

Sorry, N00b3d out.

Edited by keef, 30 December 2007 - 10:42 PM.

Timothy M-Lick <3

#5 sn1per

sn1per

• Banned
  • 249 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 10:42 PM

That thing is awesome! EDIT: Why wouldn't you want the guage to explode??? That would be awesome! Goo everywhere!

Edited by sn1per, 30 December 2007 - 10:57 PM.

QUOTE(Scotch @ Feb 3 2008, 05:47 PM) View Post

sn1per I appreciate your humor, that made me laugh literally out loud.

"It's a free country, UNDER MY DICTATORSHIP!!!"
-Connor

#6 nerfer34

nerfer34

• Members
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 10:48 PM

Nice mod! But where do you get those tube connectors or barbs? ANd can you remove the goo gauge on a 2K the same way as you did with your 3k? Because mine is always filled, so if pump too much the gauge will explode :o

They have these connectors at Home Depot or Lowes or probably any local harware store. Look in the plumbing section and its a size 1/4" tubing connector.

No, the 2k is harder to remove the goo gauge from, sadly. I wish it were this easy on the 2k.....

Keef, ya I probably should have done that myself, but nothing seemed to stay for me, probably because of my extended pump and it has more force on that piece.
<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->God Damn it Groove, you stole my kill.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->-OMC

#7 keef

keef

• Members
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 10:57 PM

Yeah, I have the extended pump on the 3k too and it works perfect.
Timothy M-Lick <3

#8 nerfer34

nerfer34

• Members
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 12:07 PM

ALright dude, the ONLY reason I did this mod write-up was to help the newer members out.

I know that a lot of people own a 3k and if something goes wrong, resort to this. That is why I have like 15 or so pics.

#9 WratH

WratH

• Members
  • 388 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 03:04 PM

Cool At3k man. I own two and have pretty much put both of them through the mill. My singled one is basicly the same as this, but I have a revolver attatchment as well as a deoderant clip for it. I just did the extended pump mod yesterday but did it kind of sloppily, I think I'm going to use your hotglue track idea because it isn't very smoothe to pump at all. Does cutting out the goo guage help or hurt the range do you think?
Death be not proud. Though some have called the mighty and dreadful... Thou art not so.

#10 nerfer34

nerfer34

• Members
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 10:48 PM

Thanks Wrath.

Yea, the hotglue track helped a lot, without it, it kept like jamming but now it flows smoothly.

I personally think range is incresed with the goo gauge removed. Some people may think that I'm just saying that because I did that in my own mod, by honestly I think it helps. Although I can't prove it. If you have the connector in hand, I say go for it.

#11 Pineapple

Pineapple

Old-school Admin

• Contributors
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 11:05 PM

Yeah, the AT2k's Liquitron gauge is integral with the air tank, so the only way to really take it off is to saw it off and either fill or patch the cut-off area with epoxy... and you know that it's a SLIGHT gamble to use epoxy on Nerf blasters... especially air-powered ones... especially if you didn't clean the surfaces properly...

I think any range increases by eliminating the goo gauge are minute at best, but hey, if it works for you, it works.

Good mod, nerfer_34. I used to bust off the turrets of my AirTech 3ks right out of the box; but that's only because we started out with mega stefans in 1/2" SCH40 PVC... so the coupler was a natural (cannot put 6 1/2" PVC barrels on a 3k turret... at least not easily). I like the idea of your in-line clip.

I JUST got finished repairing my SuperMaxx 1500 that I bought this summer on eBay. At a family gathering/ 4 v 4 Nerf war, my nephew took it from my shop without permission, and promptly pumped it up 8 times. Cracked the airtank right at the back.

The repair/mod is a bit strange looking with the 2k's Liquitron sticking up a bit, but I don't mind. It's not meant to look pretty when it's delivering some hurt. I'll get started on the write-up. I'm just glad my 1500 can get back in action (and I gave my nephew a 2k for him to modify).

-Piney-
-Piney- of White Dog Hobbies Armory

<!--quoteo(post=209846:date=Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM:name=boom)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(boom @ Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM) View Post</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
It's to bad you live in hawaii I bet there are not many wars there.Wait what am I saying<b> you live in hawaii you lucky bastard.</b>
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#12 nerfer34

nerfer34

• Members
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 11:19 PM

I've turned into an air powered guy like you Piney.

Silent and deadly.

The tank really cracked in half? I've never seen that happen. I have a sm750 with its pump plugged and my friend pumps it like 6 times even though I always say pump it 3-4. But its still shooting strong...

I'm going to try to get a video of my inline up, I'm still not so sure if people understand how effective they are(with the exception of Carbon and Frost).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users