• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Eye Protection Wear It...

#1 User is offline   Avatar of WoeBrian 

• Group: Members
  • State:California

Posted 04 November 2007 - 10:47 PM

So you play nerf... simple foam-shooting guns that happen to be harmless little weapons that couldn't harm an animal. Well after the introduction of modifications maybe we'd have to change that statement. Anyways let me get to what I am trying to say. Wear eye protection if you play with modified or powerful nerf weapons.

Just the other day, I was at my friend's house along with another friend and we happened to pull out a few nite-finders/disc shot pistols and play around. Well my other friend and I ran away to my house, stocked up on some ammo and came back. The friend we had left at his own house, decided to pull out his modified Longshot and was pissed off. So we snuck into the house and I got split up and I heard shooting upstairs. Walked up to the room and about 5 inches away from my right eye was, I met the barrel of the Longshot and BAM... Thank God (sorry if you religious people don't like this) he didn't have any modified ammo with him because he can't make his Stefans flat and most of them were pointed like rifle rounds. Anyways my eye had no time to close so I was hit dead on and my eye was totall blurry. I can now see but there is still time-to-time blurriness. This happened two days ago on Friday and I am probably going to see a doctor tomorrow after school. This is just a warning for those of you who might think nerf is something you don't have to wear eye protection with. Well when you have modified something to shoot beyond what is safe, it is better to do so. I usually do wear eye protection when playing with modified nerf weapons however that day I was playing with stock pistols shooting stock dart taggers and mainly was not expecting the modified longshot that has a range of about 70-80 (we have not properly range tested but it is capable of those ranges)

Play safe guys, it's not fun when you have to walk around with a blurry or even blind eye.

#2 User is offline   frost vectron 

Posted 04 November 2007 - 11:31 PM

I always wear at least a pair of sunglasses when I nerf.

When I want no tint, I wear safety glasses (which are less than $5 at any given hardware store). Not the big clunky ones or goggles, but just the clear sun-glass-looking ones.

A lot of my friends don't wear them, but I just say, hey one unlucky shot is all it takes.
Latest Modification: The Professional

"I am a leaf on the wind--watch how I soar" - Hoban "Wash" Washburne, Serenity.

#3 User is offline   penguin807 

Posted 05 November 2007 - 07:18 AM

Oww, that's gotta hurt. The same thing happened to me, only it was with a dremel, and a cut off disk that almost hit me in the eye, and I don't have to see a doctor, and my dremel wasn't pissed off at me... So, wear eye protection when dremeling too.

#4 User is offline   Carbon 

• Contriberator
  • Group: Moderators
  • State:Wisconsin

Posted 05 November 2007 - 07:39 AM

Thanks for the safety reminder…and I hope that blurriness goes away.

My introduction to Nerf guns was by being shot in the eye at close range by a stock Lock ‘n’ Load. Yes, it hurt like a sunnovabitch for about 20 minutes. That was my first time seeing that, hey, these things have some power….and that was with a stock suction tip mega. It’s not hard to imagine the damage that can happen with something faster, harder and smaller. Play safe.
Hello. I am Indigo of the Rainbow Clan. You Nerfed my father. Prepare to die.

#5 User is offline   Groove 

• Certified Badass
  • Group: Founders
  • State:Virginia

Posted 05 November 2007 - 08:01 AM

I've been hit in almost every place imaginable on my body: ears, forehead, lips, knuckles, neck, elbow...the list goes on. However, the most painful and potentially harmful place to get hit is easily the eyes. This is a huge phobia of mine in particular as I am in the visual arts field, and if I lose my eyesight, I lose everything. This is why you rarely see any video footage / pictures of me without my Ray-Bans on my face. I usually only take them off during lunch when everyone's hands are holding food, not blasters.

I hope everything turns out okay for you, Brian - hopefully this is only something temporary. This is a good reminder to everyone that enjoys this hobby of ours: Be safe, and have fun. But safety always comes first.

-Groove
"It's better to fail in originality than succeed in imitation."

#6 User is offline   Dayko 

• State:Washington

Posted 05 November 2007 - 10:57 AM

Hope the eye blurriness goes away. I got hit with a flying piece of plastic in the eye while dremaling. Ever since then I have always worn safety glasses. This is a good reminder to people to wear some sort of eye protection
when playing or moding.
< One foot in death...The other in life. >
Real men wear pink.
Leader of the Pinkertons.

#7 User is offline   Kenpachi Taicho 

Posted 05 November 2007 - 11:29 AM

Eye protection is a definite MUST HAVE for me. I was recently in the most hostile nerf environment I've ever been in (a dorm room with 6 guys equipped with either a modded mav or a modded nf, watching hockey), and got smoked in the eye. In all fair ness I should've known to be wearing my eye gear, especially considering all we were going for was head shots. Blurry vision absolutley affects your aim, wear eye protection!

#8 User is offline   precisionnerfer 

Posted 05 November 2007 - 12:04 PM

I think this should be stickied in the nerf wars section. We can share stories about when we didn't wear I pro and what happened. Fortunately we were using stock darts, but someone shot and I turned the corner at the same time and ta-da! Right in the eye; could see straight through it for 3 hours. It was when we didn't know about modding.

This post has been edited by precisionnerfer: 05 November 2007 - 12:06 PM

"Good character is something you cannot fake. And it always comes full circle at the end."
-Piney-
"It is amazing what a bit of conversation can do, as apposed to just *^$(*#*^ about it."
-AJAQ-

#9 User is offline   Foam Shooter 

Posted 05 November 2007 - 12:20 PM

I got hit in the eye with a dart tag dart. Luckily my eye was closed but the next day I couldn't open my eye because it was sealed closed with a long, thin scab. It didn't hurt but it was very embarrising when everyone was like "what did you do to your eye" and I have to answer "I got shot with a Nerf gun" then they are like "wow what a wuss."

#10 Guest_CornMan_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 05 November 2007 - 12:31 PM

Yeah, eye pro is a MUST!!!! The other day I almost got shot in the eye by my noob of an eight year old brother with my freshly modded at2k. FOUR PUMPS! Man, I would have been cussin' my lips off, then my brother broke it. He tried to see how strong the barrel was and ripped it off. But hey, I hope your eye feels better. You are lucky that didn't blind you!

#11 User is offline   Thomas 

Posted 05 November 2007 - 12:34 PM

I got shot with a Streamline(?) dart in a crossfire, and the kid wasn't even aiming at me. I guess the moral of the story is, always wear protection, because accidents happen.

#12 User is offline   ultra920 

Posted 05 November 2007 - 12:42 PM

View PostGroove, on Nov 5 2007, 11:01 AM, said:

I've been hit in almost every place imaginable on my body: ears, forehead, lips, knuckles, neck, elbow...the list goes on. However, the most painful and potentially harmful place to get hit is easily the eyes. This is a huge phobia of mine in particular as I am in the visual arts field, and if I lose my eyesight, I lose everything. This is why you rarely see any video footage / pictures of me without my Ray-Bans on my face. I usually only take them off during lunch when everyone's hands are holding food, not blasters.

I hope everything turns out okay for you, Brian - hopefully this is only something temporary. This is a good reminder to everyone that enjoys this hobby of ours: Be safe, and have fun. But safety always comes first.

-Groove

Wow, thought those were part of your face.
There is no Ultra, only a 920.

PSN: ultra920 MGO:ultra920 shoot me an MGO invite if you play

#13 User is offline   lionhead333 

• Aslan

Posted 05 November 2007 - 12:52 PM

Maybe we should sticky this as the official 'Nerf Safety' thread.

Try to wear gardening gloves while dremeling, even though they're uncomfortable.
I was using an almost-dead cutter disc on some PVC when the disc caught a snag. My entire dremel jumps off the PVC and into my hand.
Did you know un-reinforced cutoff discs shatter on contact with bone? I didn't. :unsure:
QUOTE(Ubermensch)
If I were you, I wouldn't mess with the mods, or make stupid mistakes like misspelling their names. I mean, CAVV is really tough on that kind of thing

Most recent write up-
Sharpshooter 2

#14 User is offline   SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA 

Posted 05 November 2007 - 01:15 PM

Eye protection is always a must. My friend had his right-eye cornia scratched by a stock tagger from 10' away with a Maverick. He wore an eye patch for three days.

Also, if you touch your Dremel, have glasses on. My cut-off wheel broke and embedded part of the blade in my shitty DTG glasses. Not cool. If I wasn't wearing those, I wouldn't be seeing out of my left eye. A face mask is also a good idea for Dremels, especially if you are cutting brass/metal or sanding. PVC powder and brass shavings are two of the last things you want in your lungs. As far as gloves go, it's not a bad idea as long as they can't catch the Dremel and increase the chance of you being cut. That almost happened with one of my older pairs, but the cut-off wheel shredded the threads and I could pull my hand away before anything happened.
The only commonly shared fate among us all is death. I turn to the shadows so that I may not be unfamiliar with hell's corridors when I arrive. - SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

Founder of the Shadow Militia.
Founder of Nightshade Laboratories and The Nightshade Armament Corporation.

#15 User is offline   CAPS 

• State:Maryland

Posted 05 November 2007 - 01:34 PM

Perfect example, still makes me laugh.

Du-du-du-du-du-dude! Are you ok?

Make sure the nerfgun isn't cocked everytime you look down the barrel.
It's a link to google......you idiots are worse than the spammers.
-Vacc

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users