New Rifle In Its Infancy...

Magazine fed spring powered rifle

37 replies to this topic

#26 boltsniper

boltsniper

• Contributors
  • 591 posts

Posted 05 January 2005 - 01:50 PM

Some good ideas for mag catches. I hadn`t thought about using magnets. I was just planning on making a simple spring catch (ala AR). I just like the idea of having a solid physical locking mechanism.

#27 cerealkiller

cerealkiller

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 05 January 2005 - 10:53 PM

how long is the spring? Comparing to the to the handle it seems like 3 inches or so. I know that it's a strong AR(what is that?) spring but I think you should have more power, but I don't know. I was just looking at a pic of crossbow internals, and that spring is huge.
Kids in the captian crunch Cereal comercial:
"NERFITIZE ME CAPTIAN!!!"

#28 boltsniper

boltsniper

• Contributors
  • 591 posts

Posted 23 January 2005 - 01:12 AM

AR as in AR15 as in M16

The spring pictured is carbine spring and is about 10 inches uncompressed. The rifle length spring is about 14 inches. They both have the same k though. I can guarentee you that these springs are more powerful than what comes stock in a Nerf gun. In an AR they slam a 10oz bolt carrier home with very substantial force. I imagine it should move a lightweight plunger more than adequately.

#29 Evil

Evil

Fucking Copout

• Members
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 23 January 2005 - 09:46 AM

Bolt, you always amaze me with this stuff. Congratulations on another amazing concept. Is this posted on NHQ? I'm sure some of those guys would go nuts over this thing.

Keep it up.
2007 Great American GoreFest Champion (Aug. 4, Apoc)

#30 FIDO

FIDO

• Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 23 January 2005 - 10:23 AM

boltsniper, I'm wondering if the pvc is going to work for the plunger tube. When I tried making a spring powered weapon, pvc didn't work because the inside isn't a perfect circle.
Don't worry about the things you don't know. Do sheep expand in the rain? Who discovered how to get milk from cows? And what was he doing in the first place?

"if anyone gives you shit about being a geek, just remind them that all their bases are belong to you." -Talio

#31 boltsniper

boltsniper

• Contributors
  • 591 posts

Posted 23 January 2005 - 06:23 PM

I use O-rings to make the seal. Taking advantage of the gap between the 1/2" couplers and the 1" PVC. Put a little oil on the O-rings and it glides as smooth as silk.

Posted Image

#32 WEASEL

WEASEL

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 23 January 2005 - 07:36 PM

Mmmmm... Smooth. Is that your bolt or is it for something else?

#33 boltsniper

boltsniper

• Contributors
  • 591 posts

Posted 23 January 2005 - 09:15 PM

Thats one of the plungers I`ve made. It is independent of the bolt

#34 boltsniper

boltsniper

• Contributors
  • 591 posts

Posted 05 February 2005 - 10:31 PM

Small update.

I haven`t had much time to work on the rifle but I have made some progress. I drew up the plans for the action. I had planned on using the AR stock and grip. At this point it doesn`t look like I`m going to. Due to length issues it will be easier to just hosue the AR spring in 1" PVC. I won`t be able to use the grip because of the trigger linkages that will have to be inside the grip. I`m about halfway through fabricating the parts. i`m taking a little different route to building this rifle. I spent a lot of time designing on paper and then I am fabricating the parts from the plans. For the first rifle I mainly had the idea in my head and just designed as I fabricated. That works fine but it leads to a lot of fabricating and refabricating. i`m sure I`ll have to do some of that as I build but hopefully not as much. I`ve gotten the barrel assembly, plunger, bolt, and upper receiver fabricated. That leaves the lower receiver, trigger group, feed ramp, extractor, ejector, and furniture to fabricate. So I did all the easy parts first.......

Anyway, when I get something together that looks more or less like a rfile I`ll post pics. Right now its jsut a clooection of random parts.

#35 Viper

Viper

• Members
  • 611 posts

Posted 08 February 2005 - 04:22 PM

Brilliant truly brilliant, boltsniper. The one criticism I have is the use of the AR grip. Isn't putting an AR grip on a nerf gun like putting a club on a pinto? I'd save the grip for a real firearm or something. Granted it would be unique and very cool, but I feel for your wallet.

#36 boltsniper

boltsniper

• Contributors
  • 591 posts

Posted 08 February 2005 - 09:10 PM

Brilliant truly brilliant, boltsniper. The one criticism I have is the use of the AR grip. Isn't putting an AR grip on a nerf gun like putting a club on a pinto? I'd save the grip for a real firearm or something. Granted it would be unique and very cool, but I feel for your wallet.

Half the reason this project was spawned, is because I have all these extra AR15 parts laying around doing nothing. I do agree that using pre-existing parts kinda takes away from the homemade aspect. But it looks like I`m not gonna use them even if I still wanted to. It looks like the only AR part that will be used is the main spring.

#37 Viper

Viper

• Members
  • 611 posts

Posted 08 February 2005 - 10:30 PM

I see boltsniper. Good luck and all.

#38 Tarius

Tarius

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 09 February 2005 - 01:29 PM

please post more pics, I will help in any way, I just can't wait to see it completed.
Who am I to let you win this War.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users