Charger Blue Rampage

Eh, it was almost really cool..

19 replies to this topic

#1 STZman

STZman

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 10:42 PM

Ah, drat. I was almost really excited to get to enter the 2013 modding contest. Alas, the rampage is apparently disallowed :unsure:

Anyway, I hereby create this thread to catalog my less-than-awesome journey through Nerf Modding!

First, the idea:
I have a Nerf Rampage. I really like it too, works reliably, shoots well, and has gotten me through two HVZ games so far.
But I don't like the barrel. It screams 'useless' to me, what with the 1.5x dart diameter interior so the darts get no guidance, and childish rifling that twerks the darts all over if you shoot while turning.. Yeah, not a fan. So I decided to fix it, replace the barrel with something better.

I started out by purchasing some PETG tube that fit the elite darts more snugly. My thought was that I could ingeniusly interface this new tubing with the forward-orange-bulkhead-thingy and have the dart be accelerated the entire length of the barrel.

Posted Image

It. Uh. Didn't work. I was so disappointed that I didn't even take any pictures of me fumbling around trying to get the thing to shoot reliably.

Then I had the bright idea to cut the PETG tube into strips, and glue them where the original barrel went. That way I'd have a cool-er looking barrel and maybe even better functionality!

So I bought and set out with a Dremel and made some PETG spaghetti. The tube was hand carved into four roughly equal strips. The outside curve of each strip was sanded along with the sides.

Posted Image

Here you can see the strips lying above the blaster shell:

Posted Image

Then I installed the strips with hot glue:

Posted Image

And I detoured to remove the catch on the side-break:

Posted Image

The finished semi open barrel design looked alright, and worked reasonably well, but I wasn't quite happy with the blaster yet.

So I added some LEDs:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Oooo
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Aaand that's a wrap for tonight. It's not perfect, I'm not super duper happy with it, but I think it worked out alright.
There are a bunch more images in the Imgur album if you care to look.

Till next time,
STZman - Strike Team Zebra

Edited by STZman, 18 May 2013 - 04:08 PM.

Till next time,
STZman - HvZ Strike Team Zebra

#2 azrael

azrael

• Members
  • 393 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 11:40 PM

er... these spring blasters don't push enough air for a tight barrel fit to help... It just makes it lose a lot of power.

How well does it work with your strip barrel design? There have been theories on the possible positive effects on porting barrels.
Better Nerf By Science!
http://nerfscience.blogspot.com/

#3 STZman

STZman

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 12:28 AM

er... these spring blasters don't push enough air for a tight barrel fit to help... It just makes it lose a lot of power.

How well does it work with your strip barrel design? There have been theories on the possible positive effects on porting barrels.

Yup, I figured that out too late -_-

I honestly haven't really had the blaster back together yet, and once I do it'll take some time playing with it to see just how it stacks up against the stock design. So, I'll get back to you on that.

-- Edited --

Hrm, apparently it isn't tomorrow yet wherever the server is. You guys must deal with one hell of an adhd crowd to keep accounts from posting so much.

andtheherois,

The LEDs are because I wanted them. The main idea here is that I can shoot the blaster while spinning around and let the darts hit the wall of the barrel without fear that the stupid twirling ridges will mess with them. Also, my blaster is now a flashlight.

I still have some work left; I'd like to install a washer plate behind the spring to keep the plastic from warping and whatnot. As of now I'm not sure if I'll get to it before deciding to just let the thing be.

Edited by STZman, 09 May 2013 - 07:33 AM.

Till next time,

#4 andtheherois

andtheherois

• Banned
  • 821 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 01:18 AM

I may be drunk, but what does this do to the blaster other than adding LEDs?

And what are those thumb screws doing?

Edited by andtheherois, 09 May 2013 - 01:19 AM.

The YooToobz
Photobucket

Winning rounds is rewarding, deal with it. We don't play fucking patty cake over here.

#5 azrael

azrael

• Members
  • 393 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 07:37 AM

Tbh, the "twirling edges" as you call the rifling, help dart stability, as far as I can tell. Darts are typically drag stabilized, but I do see crappy shots get corrected by spin sometimes.

If your real issue is shooting while turning, then you're better off using a blaster with no barrel. Of course the darts will hit the barrel if you turn. Your blaster continues moving with you, while the dart is moving in one direction, along one plane.

Edited by azrael, 09 May 2013 - 09:40 AM.

Better Nerf By Science!

#6 Kronos Nerf Mods

Kronos Nerf Mods

• Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 04:58 PM

You could use 3/4" PETG as it will be still clear, but won't have a tight fit
Wyes may take a while...:

My Youtube Channel

#7 STZman

STZman

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 09:03 PM

You could use 3/4" PETG as it will be still clear, but won't have a tight fit

Kronos, I like that idea. If this mod isn't going to be functional, it should at least look good.
I've purchased some petg from McMaster's, and am currently biting nails because they bill shipping without first telling me the cost..
Till next time,

#8 Duke Wintermaul

Duke Wintermaul

• Members
  • 516 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 11:25 PM

I would blacken out the rampages shell where you have the LED's. That way, the light will be shining down from under the shell, and not through it.

Nice looking rampage though.

#9 STZman

STZman

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 10:28 AM

+1 to blacking it out, I think I'll go do that.

The PETG tubing shipped for $9 today, should have it in a few days.

5/14/2013
Well, paint me purple and call me a cat, the PETG arrived today!

Edited by STZman, 14 May 2013 - 04:10 PM.

Till next time,

#10 STZman

STZman

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 04:20 PM

Okay, the larger PETG tubing is in, and I've got the blaster fixed up.

Finished blaster:
Posted Image

With the light on:
Posted Image

It's nice to have the orange cap more obvious + look like it belongs
Posted Image

Posted Image

The switch and connections to plug a battery pack in:
Posted Image

Close up of the battery pack:
Posted Image

I'm planning to buy some Sugru or something to cover the thumbscrews with.
Maybe I'll frost/sand the barrel...

I'll look for pictures, but I made sure to add some functional-ly placed epoxy while working on the blaster. The front ribs that support the shoulder strap have been reinforced, and so has the region where the spring braces against the shell. Other than that, I can't really do anything if I still want to be able to play HvZ.
Till next time,

#11 mysterio

mysterio

• Members
  • 249 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 06:10 PM

Sugru is, at its core, silicone and cornstarch mixed together. Much cheaper to DIY

If two powerful is a problem then just go with one powerful. I guess this style of hopper will work even beyond three powerful..

15:46 *** Buff is now known as TheGdiddler
15:51 TheGdiddler I'M GONNA GRAPE YOU"

#12 nine

nine

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 07:25 PM

I actually really like how this looks, though I doubt that it has any functional improvements over a stock Rampage. That is, unless the PETG that you replaced the barrel with has a larger inner diameter. Then your ranges might improve a little bit.

Everyone hates engineers because they listen to what you say and then think about it.

Check out my YouTube!

#13 Duke Wintermaul

Duke Wintermaul

• Members
  • 516 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 08:30 PM

Looks great! The blacked out rampage shell really makes a difference.

I would recommend an AR deletion and 5kg spring. I don't think you mentioned these mods at the beginning.

#14 Kronos Nerf Mods

Kronos Nerf Mods

• Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 09:32 PM

I actually really like how this looks, though I doubt that it has any functional improvements over a stock Rampage. That is, unless the PETG that you replaced the barrel with has a larger inner diameter. Then your ranges might improve a little bit.

He is using 3/4 in petg, which I think is about the same, although it might be a smidge bigger.
Wyes may take a while...:

My Youtube Channel

#15 STZman

STZman

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 11:06 PM

Thanks for the input guys!

Again, I can't mod the blaster for performance or I'll get in trouble with the HvZ admins.

Duke Wintermaul, I won't own up to having done the AR removal or 5Kg spring, but I've heard of both :)

Mysterio, duly noted, I quite like the idea of home made sugru.

As far as I can tell the 3/4 PETG is very much like the stock barrel. Ranges seem to be the same, along with accuracy. I'm planning to do up to two more mods in this fashion; if there's interest I can try to do some quantified testing before and after.

Edited by STZman, 18 May 2013 - 11:08 PM.

Till next time,

#16 azrael

azrael

• Members
  • 393 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 11:43 AM

I don't really understand the seemingly strict rules on HvZ I've seen. I feel like modifications should be limited by measuring fps with a chronometer, not by simply banning modifications outright.
Better Nerf By Science!

#17 LockeWatts

LockeWatts

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 02:30 PM

I don't really understand the seemingly strict rules on HvZ I've seen. I feel like modifications should be limited by measuring fps with a chronometer, not by simply banning modifications outright.

Most college campuses don't have a chronometer just laying around.

#18 azrael

azrael

• Members
  • 393 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 05:43 PM

No, but it's a good investment. I'm building one right now.
Better Nerf By Science!

#19 Prince Of Brains

Prince Of Brains

• FNG1 
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 12:44 PM

Hey, sorry about the thread necromancy, but this is EXACTLY what I've been looking for. How did you get that shoulder strap to stay on the front handle, and what kind of strap did you use for it? Was that just a regular Airsoft shotgun strap or anything?

#20 STZman

STZman

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 04:17 PM

Hey, sorry about the thread necromancy, but this is EXACTLY what I've been looking for. How did you get that shoulder strap to stay on the front handle, and what kind of strap did you use for it? Was that just a regular Airsoft shotgun strap or anything?

Hi Prince of Brains,

The strap is actually tied to the vents in the top of the blaster, not the forward grip, sorry. The strap was just something I found off an old backpack, they should be in camping areas of Walmart though.
Till next time,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users