Where To Buy Modding Materials

Where to get, and where not to get

331 replies to this topic

#51 darkstarfire

darkstarfire

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 10:23 PM

I have also looked at the previously mentioned centuryspring.com to no avail. I either can't find one that’s the right size, have the site tell me “No spring meets these criteria”, or have no clue what wire diameter or "Rate" I should get. I’ve tried calculating the wire width, inside diameter, outside diameter, coils per length, and all that jazz but I still don’t come up with one that I know will work. If anyone has ordered a spring there and had success with it, what CSC Stock No was it? I just don’t want to special order something again that is of no use to me. I know I’m not the only one looking for a surefire place to get springs, but most other people that ask just get flamed with "use the search function" or "its been said in the post already". Anymore help would be greatly appreciated. I fear if I can’t find a spring, this thing is just going to collect dust as failed project.

#52 six-five-two

six-five-two

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 06:41 PM

I think I should make up a separate thread with my list... It is this list but shows where to buy stuff and what section it is in at the store...

Epoxy – Hardware store – Epoxy/Hardware
PETG – Pet store – Aquariums (Aeration systems) OR Plastics shop – copolyester tubing)
PVC Piping – Hardware store – Plumbing Pipes
PVC Fittings – Hardware store – Plumbing Fittings
Brass – Hobby store – Model trains OR Ace Hardware – Metal Sheeting
Foam Backing Rod – Most hardware stores (Rona in Canada has it for 6-10 cents a foot) – Weather stripping
Hot glue gun – Hardware store, Hobby store or Arts and Crafts store – Hot glue gun
PVC Cement – Hardware store – Plumbing supplies
PVC Primer – Hardware store – Plumbing supplies
Screwdrivers – Hardware store – Hardware
Ruler – School Supplies store – Ruler
Hacksaws – Hardware store – Hardware
Dremel – Hardware store – Hardware
Plumbers Goop – Hardware store – Plumbing supplies
Paint – Hardware store – Paint OR Paint Store
Electrical Tape – Hardware store – Hardware
Duct tape – Hardware store – Hardware
Vinyl tubing – Hardware store – Plumbing section
Sandpaper – Hardware store – Hardware
Files – Hardware store – Hardware
PVC Cutting Shears – Hardware store – Plumbing supplies
Craft Foam Sheet – Arts and Crafts store – Craft Foam
Tape Measure – Hardware store – Hardware
Slingshot Ammo – Wal-Mart – Hunting or OR Sports Store – Slingshot Ammo
Steel BBs – Wal-Mart – Hunting OR Sports Store – BB Gun Ammo
Fishing Weights – Wal-Mart – Fishing OR Sports Store – Fishing
Springs – ACE Hardware – Springs

Online Stores:
http://www.mcmaster.com/

ENJOY

#53 Falcon

Falcon

Velcro'd Beanpole

• Members
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 08:38 PM

This was being discussed earlier, so I thought I'd try to see what i could do to help out a bit.

At my local "Troical Fish" store (meaning it's a pet store that specializes in fish/fishtanks) back in Glendora they stock PETG. If you find PETG at your local store, look for one labeled 9/16". That isn't an accurate measurement (the outside is bigger than that, and the inside is small) but the tubing is excellently sized for Dart Tag Stefans. It's almost exactly the same inner diameter as 17/32" brass, but it's more slippery than brass, making it ideal for air guns. I used it to quad-barrel (via 2k turret) a Secret Shot 2 awhile back, and the gun still kicks ass.

Also something of note: the store carries a size of PETG labeled as 5/8". I never bothered to check and see if this is an accurate measurement (it doesn't fit megas, if you're wondering), but it sleeves perfectly over the 9/16" PETG. So in air guns like 2k's and whatnot, I can save my precious small amounts of 9/16" PETG (since the place doesn't restock very often) by barreling guns with about 1-1/2 the length of the darts to be used of the 9/16" PETG, and then extending the barrels with the more commonly found 5/8" PETG. This barrel extension aids accuracy, while the (relatively) short sealing barrel inside is just long enough to remain effective in an air gun without allowing any air to escape while adding no additional drag either. It's a great setup; if you have a generic fish store around you, look for their plastic tubing. It works really well, and is pretty cheap.

To add to the lists, I have found 1/4" steel slingshot weights (used for stefans) in Sport Chalet, Wal-Mart, and Big 5 Sporting Goods stores. GREAT weights; I never use anything but them.
----------||||||||)
QUOTE(Ilùvatar @ 0000) View Post
Of the theme that I have declared to you, I will now that ye make in harmony together a Great Music.

#54 six-five-two

six-five-two

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 30 September 2006 - 11:37 AM

Yeah you can find slingshot weights at any sports/fishing/walmart store

So you prefer PETG over brass right? And I should not buy 1/2" PETG but buy 9/16"?

How much is PETG?

#55 Bob3104558

Bob3104558

• Banned
  • 18 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 03:39 PM

Next week i will talk to my mom about getting a BUNCH of petg. She works at Artistic Fixtures Inc. and all they do is acrylic fixtures for jc penny, radio shack, hot topic, etc.

#56 Falcon

Falcon

Velcro'd Beanpole

• Members
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 10:26 PM

Time to raise the dead again...

I've seen it used by various people here online and I do believe K&S makes it, but where on earth do you people find Aluminum tubing? It's (as far as I'm aware) sold in the same sizes as brass is, but I haven't had any luck finding any. Thoughts?
----------||||||||)
Of the theme that I have declared to you, I will now that ye make in harmony together a Great Music.

#57 nerfboi

nerfboi

• Members
  • 858 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 10:40 PM

I have a link to find it online if you want me to post it.
We Ride together, we die together, Bad boys for life.

#58 Falcon

Falcon

Velcro'd Beanpole

• Members
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 11:35 AM

That'd be good...lol.
----------||||||||)

#59 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 01:17 PM

Time to raise the dead again...

I've seen it used by various people here online and I do believe K&S makes it, but where on earth do you people find Aluminum tubing? It's (as far as I'm aware) sold in the same sizes as brass is, but I haven't had any luck finding any. Thoughts?

Mcmaster part#1658T49
Alloy 6063 Aluminum Round Tube .625" OD, .527" ID, 8' Length
$7.41 Each
The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#60 Falcon

Falcon

Velcro'd Beanpole

• Members
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 12:10 PM

Now THAT is interesting...

Now, my question is, is that the same ID as 17/32" brass? I don't recall if brass is measured by OD or ID, so if anyone can clear up whether or not they're the same size internally, that'd be great.
----------||||||||)

#61 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 12:23 PM

Now THAT is interesting...

Now, my question is, is that the same ID as 17/32" brass? I don't recall if brass is measured by OD or ID, so if anyone can clear up whether or not they're the same size internally, that'd be great.

Brass is measured by outer diameter. 17/32" brass has a .5033" ID and 9/16" has a .5345" ID so this aluminum tubing is closest in inner diameter to 9/16" and the same as most PETG. The inside surface of the aluminum tubing is a bit smoother than both and that should translate into a slightly longer optimum barrel length.
I have 8 feet of the stuff and have tested it with spring weapons but I need to get around to testing it with tank weapons.
The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#62 King Of Butt Land

King Of Butt Land

• Banned
  • 324 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 02:00 PM

Just thought I might add the Mcmaster 1/2" PETG has the same ID of 17/32 brass. 1/2" brass also fits perfectly inside it. So if you want to make breaches for really skinny darts or have a cooler looking lighter 17/32 brass alternative, head to Micky M's.

-Butt
QUOTE(Puppy-§layer @ Dec 18 2008, 04:22 AM) View Post

This contest may have some flaws, as people can simply be a deuschbag over the internet. By Lying.

A war-like setting/invitational would be better...

#63 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 04:05 PM

Just thought I might add the Mcmaster 1/2" PETG has the same ID of 17/32 brass.

1/2" =/= .5033"

close, but not quite.
And yes it's fairly obvious that 1/2" brass will fit inside anything that has a 1/2" ID, but it will be extremely tight. Brass nests neatly inside the sequential sizes because their inner diameters are not precisely fractional, so there's enough of a gap to allow them to slide freely. You need a few thousands of an inch of space in order for them to fit inside each other without creating an interference fit.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 24 April 2007 - 04:06 PM.

#64 psplover

psplover

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 08:48 PM

Does Krylon paint count?

#65 PREDATOR

PREDATOR

• Members
  • 245 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 05:17 PM

Where does everyone buy brass. I can only find it on this one website and it is pretty expensive.
QUOTE(Groove @ Apr 29 2007, 11:03 PM) View Post

Wise man always say, "Arguing on the internet is like winning the Special Olympics. Even if you win you're still retarded."
-Groove

#66 shadowkid33

shadowkid33

• Members
  • 633 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 05:20 PM

I get brass at an ACE hardware near me.
how the heck do you make a double clip?

Here are the steps.
1. Go to the search button in the right corner of the screen
2. Click
3. Search double longshot clip.

i dont have time, jeez, im new here!

#67 Prometheus

Prometheus

• Members
  • 780 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 05:45 PM

Some hobby shops stock it. Just look around if you live in the city, or go to the city and look around. Never know what you'll find.
QUOTE(VACC @ Jan 24 2008, 06:12 AM) View Post
I am NEVER going to sleep naked in the bed of a former child star ever again....seriously

#68 kinkaid701

kinkaid701

• Banned
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 02:49 PM

i found glue guns at dollar general...lol oh! and copper tubing i found at a local hardware store :P :P :P
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My probation doesn't allow me to be within 50 yards of any machine that can cause death. damn them.
my NEW hobby is nerf.(till my probation ands)

#69 Newbie

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 12:45 PM

There is more than one type of goop, but I am not sure what type workes best.
I use automotive goop.
I know there is also some ceramic goop and plumbers goop.

does anybody know what is best?

#70 nerfboi

nerfboi

• Members
  • 858 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 12:51 PM

It depends on what you need it for. Plumbers Goop is to keep connections air tight.

Edited by nerfboi, 13 May 2007 - 12:52 PM.

#71 Gengar003

Gengar003

• Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 10:05 PM

Compiled the thread so far into one post. I will be updating this as people post new things.

You can probably get what you need from McMaster

Dart-Making Materials
  • FBR: Home Depot or Lowes, insulation section. Drie's Do It Center, Rona. (In Alberta, try Totem)
  • Fishing Weights: Wal-Mart, k-mart
  • BBs: Wal-Mart
  • Slingshot weights/ammo: Wal-mart, Sport Chalet, Big 5 Sporting Goods
  • Hot Glue Gun and Glue: Michael's, craft stores
Barrel-Making Materials
  • Plumbers Goop: ACE Hardware, Lowes
  • PVC Pipe/Fittings (couplers): Home Depot, Lowes, Hardware Stores
  • PVC Primer/Cement: Hardware stores.
  • EPOXY: Lowes, Home Depot
  • Brass Tubing: Ace Hardware (Varies by location). Try calling your local hobby shops, found on this page. Also available online from USA Hobby
  • PETG: Online, from One" Man Clan", McMaster, PetCo, Pet Supplies Plus, Petland, Petcetera (Pet stores may not have correct sizes).

CaptainSlug says:

PETG (a copolyester) can be purchased from plastics shops and industrial supply.
    Check your local phone book for plastics shops and try to find one that stock polyester. Unfortunately most cater to stores needing display cases and contractors that need windows and will therefore only carry acrylic or polycarbonate. But the larger more capable shops have a larger inventory. Most even sell their off-cuts for a few dollars per pound.

You're not going to find PETG in a usable size unless you order 100 feet or more from a plastics shop or a company like VisiPak.
Tools
  • Hacksaws and other blades: Home Depot, Lowes, Hardware stores
  • Screwdrivers: Home depot, Lowes, Sears, Hardware stores
  • Files: Sears
  • Tape measure: Home Depot, Lowes, Any hardware store.
  • Pipe cutters: Any hardware store
  • PVC cutters (the clamp kind with two blades, not normal pipe cutters): A good-size hardware store with the pipe cutters usually.
  • Dremel: Home Depot, Lowes, Hardware stores
  • Sand paper: Home Depot, Lowes
Other
  • Springs: Ace Hardware, Menard's. Centry Springs.com
    (Longshot Spring: here or here)
  • Vinyl tubing: Plumbing section of any hardware store with a decent selection of stuff.
  • Foam craft sheet: A craft store like Pat Catan's, Hobby Lobby or Michael's.
  • Electrical/Duct tape: Home Depot, Lowes, Hardware stores.
  • Check valve: Home Depot, (Probably also Lowe's) sprinkler section

Edited by Gengar003, 20 May 2007 - 11:20 PM.

I bought Kohls.com's last two AirTech 2000s.

#72 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 10:11 PM

You're not going to find PETG in a usable size unless you order 100 feet or more from a plastics shop or a company like VisiPak.

#73 nerfboi

nerfboi

• Members
  • 858 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 11:14 PM

Also, for anyone wanting to build one of jsbq(I forgot his name)(the one who's website is chinese) homemades and can't find a Check Valve, You can find them a Home Depot In int the sprinkler section.

#74 Flapper12

Flapper12

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 10:41 PM

I found some plumbers goop, and some epoxy putty at my local Wal-Mart. :lol: . Off topic but i found a set of at3ks at a dollar general for 15 bucks, is that odd? Please excuse me for being a noob about the last question but I am new.
Has anyone ever told you that your a dumb shit?-King Of Butt Land

Don't be sorry. Being sorry means you were wrong or you're trying to get fucked. Were you wrong? No. So why do you want to fuck Ted? I've met him; you're making a mistake.-VACC

#75 sourskttles772

sourskttles772

• Banned
  • 263 posts

Posted 26 May 2007 - 07:40 AM

No. That is not odd. I think dollar stores are the last place besides Kohls you can get an airtech gun. But if you wanted one thats where to get them.
http://nerfon.smffor...3.com/index.php
One man Clan:
I saw the Crossbow re-release on the shelf at my local Target, but I didn't want to tell anyone because I wanted them all to myself. I hid them all behind Dora the Explorer toys....
[/quote]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users