Photo

Hoppered Magstrike

9 replies to this topic

#1 arekin

arekin

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 19 October 2014 - 08:34 AM

So recently I was able to find a magstrike at a local goodwill for about 3 bucks, but it did not include the magstrike clip with it. I'm debating my options right now, but I am considering doing an air compressor mod, and then using a hopper rather than a magstrike clip to feed darts. Here is a layout image:

Posted Image

As you can see the clip area would be a great place to store the air compressor since it would no longer be needed to drop the clip in. The plunger tube area would house my battery, though I may have to cut out where it slims down and replace than area with a length of pvp pipe about the size of the larger area below the clip well. The area where the priming handle is would be great for my charging connector for the battery.

So while the cosmetics of the mod seem like they would work well, I still am unfamiliar enough with the magstrike to know a few things, and as such I would like the modding communities help.

Question 1. Is the air output of the magstrike with the "assault Magstrike" mod sufficient to get decent ranges with a hopper?

Question 2. Since the magstrike does have a slide action, Would I be better off creating a gravity fed breech with a brass barrel? EDIT: answered this myself with a bit of investigation. The sliding action would only open the breech about 1 inch, not enough for a dart.

Question 3. With the lower air capacity I get the feeling I wouldn't be able to do a longer barrel either way. What material would you say as the least barrel drag and would it be better to have a short barrel with a tighter fit or a longer barrel with a looser fit and less drag.

Lastly Question 4. Can a hopper feed fast enough to keep up with a magstrikes rate of fire?

Edited by arekin, 19 October 2014 - 11:06 AM.

#2 arekin

arekin

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 19 October 2014 - 08:42 AM

Just a note as well, My plan with a hopper is to cap the end and feed darts into the end that connect to the wye. My idea is to carry several 10 dart hoppers that are permanently capped on the far end and just corked on the end that attached to the wye. This way I can still take advantage of the magstrikes rate of fire and the compressor mod.

Edit: Clarity, I read what I typed and had no idea what I was trying to say.

Edited by arekin, 19 October 2014 - 10:59 AM.

#3 Boris99

Boris99

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 19 October 2014 - 10:19 AM

I would suggest trying to find a different feed method. There is a good chance that the stefans wont feed very well with continuous air flow. If you're making semi auto you should be fine, but otherwise consider that there cant be air going through in order for the darts to feed into the barrel.
I like apples!

#4 arekin

arekin

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 19 October 2014 - 10:27 AM

I would suggest trying to find a different feed method. There is a good chance that the stefans wont feed very well with continuous air flow. If you're making semi auto you should be fine, but otherwise consider that there cant be air going through in order for the darts to feed into the barrel.

I was under the impression that there was not a continuous air flow as the mag strike fired, rather repeated bursts as the piston cycled back and forth.

EDIT: confirmed that By pumping it up and firing (Have already removed the trigger lock), there is definitely a repeated burst from the magstrike rather than a constant flow.

Edited by arekin, 19 October 2014 - 10:35 AM.

#5 snakerbot

snakerbot

Maker of Things

• Members
  • 310 posts

Posted 19 October 2014 - 11:18 AM

1. The assault magstrike mod isn't a fixed addition of volume. You can add as much as you need.

2. Answered yourself.

3. For airguns you typically want a loose fit. What material ultimately depends on your specific foam, but petg or 9/16" brass would probably work well for you.

4. I doubt it, but expanding the tank will also decrease the rate of fire, so you might be able to find that balace.

#6 arekin

arekin

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 19 October 2014 - 11:40 AM

1. The assault magstrike mod isn't a fixed addition of volume. You can add as much as you need.

2. Answered yourself.

3. For airguns you typically want a loose fit. What material ultimately depends on your specific foam, but petg or 9/16" brass would probably work well for you.

4. I doubt it, but expanding the tank will also decrease the rate of fire, so you might be able to find that balace.

Thanks alot for the info! Looks like its going to be about dialing in the assault mod to lower rate of fire then. I'll definitely be posting pics as I start to work on the mod.

#7 cheerios

cheerios

• Members
  • 396 posts

Posted 19 October 2014 - 02:28 PM

Tue, but the Magstrike doesn't work like an air gun, it works more like a springer with its piston mechanism.
22:46- jakejagan :Ryan, did you hear that Zeke's BBBB made N9 bleed?
22:47- Zorn :BONUS

#8 Duke Wintermaul

Duke Wintermaul

• Members
  • 516 posts

Posted 19 October 2014 - 04:36 PM

Posted Image

It's very much possible, there are plenty of guides here on the Haven regarding overhauling the Magstrike. Most involve removing the piston and adding a secondary airtank.

The image I posted still uses the piston, but the modder is using the addition of a second bladder to help move the hopper.

#9 mysterio

mysterio

• Members
  • 249 posts

Posted 19 October 2014 - 04:39 PM

Here and here should answer all of your questions.

I used CPVC, so really, any barrel material that isn't ridiculously tight or loose should work.

If two powerful is a problem then just go with one powerful. I guess this style of hopper will work even beyond three powerful..

15:46 *** Buff is now known as TheGdiddler
15:51 TheGdiddler I'M GONNA GRAPE YOU"

#10 snakerbot

snakerbot

Maker of Things

• Members
  • 310 posts

Posted 19 October 2014 - 06:47 PM

Tue, but the Magstrike doesn't work like an air gun, it works more like a springer with its piston mechanism.

This is a misconception that needs to go away. The piston expands (and the spring compresses) as it fills with air during the firing cycle, but when the valve opens at the end of the cycle, the piston is full of already-pressurized air that is let go all at once.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users