Guru Mk. iii

Rebirth of a Legendary Weapon

114 replies to this topic

#51 BustaNinja

BustaNinja

• Members
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 05:36 PM

I was just on the receiving end of the Guru Mk.2 yesterday at Spring SENO haha! It gets better and better.

CaptainSlug, I nearly cried when I saw this gun. So simple and clean (honk if you get the reference). Hears to another beautiful weapon.

Groove, I need to see this thing in person. It would be an honor to take a hit (or two) from this gun. Us southerners going to see you and some other vets at Season of Foam - Augusta (SOFA)? Give us a hollah if you're heading our way :( .

It's been said already and it will be said again. Good work, beautiful gun. <-understatement of the year...

Kingdom hearts, I wanna say Utada Hikaru or something like that.

And to Groove, its not I am disappointed in your choice. Its all about where and how you play, and I can imagine that having a long range shot backed with two shorter range shots is a great idea. Not only that, but simply the purple and green work. I wasn't disappointed, I just though that you were going to be making your next primary, and doing something different. I am still in awe at the fact that this took very little glue. I thought you couldn't get better then epoxy and plumbers gooping two guns together, but boy am I wrong now. Now I have to try to make SNAP's without glue.
Me: Yeah. he beat a hooker
Venom: Haven't we all?

#52 b00m13

b00m13

• Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 07:56 PM

I sometimes wonder why Hasbro doesn't just hire you to make their next Gen. guns; that would help the community so much more then the stuff they spew out lately >_>

Eh, perhaps they just can't afford ya I guess ^_^

But about the name, could it maybe also have an "AKA" name? (Lets face it, it's coming out to be such a beauty, it deserves it's own name then the version 3 of Guru; no offense)

so, I thought about it for a bit, and wondered, "what do you get when you merge a Cross with a Plus?
(you'd get an eight legged freak of nature)

Posted Image

So how about giving it a code name of a creature with 8 limbs? Like a spider or an octopus?

And maybe if the community wants to help out; the members could spend some time designing a badass logo for the shell of the future creature? (Personally, I'd put my money on DizzyDuck to come up with something cool, but ya'd never know). ^_^

Edited by b00m13, 30 March 2009 - 07:57 PM.

The only place Wal-Mart exists in New York, is in our TV's.

#53 diamondbacknf1626

diamondbacknf1626

• Members
  • 835 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 08:15 PM

This is truely a beautiful piece of weaponry. I honestly couldn't get over how well this came out for a very long time after seeing it. I definitely think it's a major improvement over its predecessor preformance-wise, although not necessarily a functionality change in any way. I mean, there are the apparent functionality changes such as the X-bow is breeched, and the Splitfire has the double ramrod, but other than that, it remained basically the same concept, which I'm actually happy with. Like Groove said, if something isn't broken, why fix it?

Again, excellent job Slug. I have to say I disagree with boom. I think you should retain the name solely for the purpose of continuing the legacy that is the Guru.
QUOTE(TxNerfer @ Nov 13 2010, 12:42 PM) View Post

Hey...I got a crazy idea: how about you stop all that sigging stuff? It's not even my thread and it annoys me.

#54 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 08:25 PM

And maybe if the community wants to help out; the members could spend some time designing a badass logo for the shell of the future creature?

Both me and Groove are capable artists. So no thanks.
I've made the canvas. He can paint what he wants to on it.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 30 March 2009 - 08:27 PM.

The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#55 BustaNinja

BustaNinja

• Members
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 09:24 PM

And maybe if the community wants to help out; the members could spend some time designing a badass logo for the shell of the future creature?

I will be sad if he doesn't paint for pin up girls on this one. That was the coolest part of the second Guru

#56 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 09:30 PM

I hope to be shot with this someday.

I hope to have the honor of being shot down by this weapon :D

It would be an honor to take a hit (or two) from this gun.

Christ, the cult of this gun is horrifying. I mean, I've heard of sacrifices, but the virgins don't generally offer themselves up.

VACC

#57 Groove

Groove

Certified Badass

• Founders
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 09:31 PM

I wasn't disappointed, I just though that you were going to be making your next primary, and doing something different. I am still in awe at the fact that this took very little glue. I thought you couldn't get better then epoxy and plumbers gooping two guns together, but boy am I wrong now.

Well, I still have my 3B + SS2 monstrosity that has yet to be used and/or named. Never really got around using it or naming it because, well...for obvious reasons.

But about the name, could it maybe also have an "AKA" name? (Lets face it, it's coming out to be such a beauty, it deserves it's own name then the version 3 of Guru; no offense)

Nope, this is my signature primary and I'm sticking to the namesake.

so, I thought about it for a bit, and wondered, "what do you get when you merge a Cross with a Plus?"

You would get an asterisk. We have built an asterisk bow...the *bow.

-Groove

"Too close for missiles, I'm switchin' to guns"

#58 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 09:33 PM

It's finished.
Posted Image
Posted Image
HOLY BALLS IT'S SO DAMN LOUD. I now know that not having a shell around a +bow is a good thing because it allows the sound to escape, instead of being aimed into the user's ear.
I need to pad the front of the plunger head and put some insulation around the back half of the plunger tube.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 30 March 2009 - 09:36 PM.

The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#59 Groove

Groove

Certified Badass

• Founders
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 09:36 PM

It's good to see that Raptor Jesus has bestowed his blessings upon this blaster.

-Groove

#60 Magic

Magic

Formerly NerfOnFier

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 540 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 10:01 PM

Jesus Christ. Now you say this is not getting as good ranges as a +bow, but it hits over 100'? Can you be more specific, or is it too dark or annoying to range test? Just wondering. This thing interests me greatly.

#61 analogkid

analogkid

• Members
  • 425 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 10:16 PM

Jesus Christ. Now you say this is not getting as good ranges as a +bow, but it hits over 100'? Can you be more specific, or is it too dark or annoying to range test? Just wondering. This thing interests me greatly.

Slug historically has not been one to test report ranges, and for good reason.

This is a beautiful blaster, may it serve you well. I'm very anxious to see it, I should be at APOC again this year.

Likewise the shell of the splitfire was bound to the spirit of a most powerful and amicable familiar.

I lol'd a little. The "writeup" style was rather humourous.

Edited by analogkid, 31 March 2009 - 05:47 AM.

#62 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 10:33 PM

I haven't done any rigorous range testing beyond muzzle velocity comparisons between this and my Pump Shotgun. Guru 3 should be getting inbetween 100 and 120 feet. I will do tests outside later, but from the few tests I have done I know that a +bow or Big Blast will outrange it. If only by 10 or 20 feet.

Slug historically has not been one to test ranges, and for good reason.

Oh I test them. I just don't report them all the time. I don't particularly care about them as much as I do about getting the consistency I wanted.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 30 March 2009 - 10:40 PM.

#63 BustaNinja

BustaNinja

• Members
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 11:23 PM

Ok, I've been wondering forever now, what is the "manticore horn" and what is it for? Like, I actually want a real answer, as I have lost sleep (ok not really) over this.

#64 sputnik

sputnik

• Members
  • 911 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 11:26 PM

Ok, I've been wondering forever now, what is the "manticore horn" and what is it for? Like, I actually want a real answer, as I have lost sleep (ok not really) over this.

I agree with this.
tcambre on IRC.

<3

#65 nerfnut23

nerfnut23

• Members
  • 239 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 11:30 PM

...I think that mother Nature just shit herself. Satan too. This may be the gun that Groove wields during the Apocalypse, to eliminate Abominations. (Anyone get the F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin reference?) Or Talio. Wait... What's the difference? Just kidding, don't ban me.

Truer words have never been spoken.

As a hole plug that looks badass.

And I like the writeup style. I can understand it perfectly.

Edited by nerfnut23, 30 March 2009 - 11:38 PM.

American society: A legitimate clusterfuck since 1965.

#66 Shrub

Shrub

• Banned
  • 862 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 09:25 AM

Well it is a very good looking blaster. No improvement needed anywhere it's pure perfection. Should see it APOC ... I don't know if that would be an honor or horror. Still I do hope to see it up close in person , pics on the internet don't even compare to the real life brain receptions that allow human "see" real life objects.
Favorite Quotes:
Sorry to hear that man, it's like that one famous bumper sticker, "Shit Happens"
it still seems that your balls drop very rapidly

#67 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 09:57 AM

It's decorative.

#68 BustaNinja

BustaNinja

• Members
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 10:31 AM

It's decorative.

Oh..... Here I thought it had some awesome use, like it shot lasers, was a last ditch mega dart, or something like that. I feel dumb now.

#69 sputnik

sputnik

• Members
  • 911 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 10:37 AM

It's decorative.

Fuck.

VACC, I PM'd you.

Slug, what spring did you use?

I didn't see you mention it..I assumed a +Bow.

Edited by sputnik, 31 March 2009 - 10:42 AM.

tcambre on IRC.

<3

#70 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 12:12 PM

Slug, what spring did you use?

+bow spring shortened to 9 inches instead of 11.

#71 bigred1rifleman

bigred1rifleman

• Members
  • 414 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 08:07 PM

Well it is a very good looking blaster. No improvement needed anywhere it's pure perfection. Should see it APOC ... I don't know if that would be an honor or horror. Still I do hope to see it up close in person , pics on the internet don't even compare to the real life brain receptions that allow human "see" real life objects.

No offense to 'Slug, but there's no such thing as a perfect Nerf gun, althought there are some pretty badass ones, like this one.

~F!nnster

#72 Shrub

Shrub

• Banned
  • 862 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 08:40 PM

I mean as far as the design of the Guru goes yes I know there is no perfect gun. I can't think of aother person that could of done it better in terms of perfecting the overall design with all the right tolerances and getting every thing perfect. No this isn't the best gun it is a very good setup and will be the most badass.
Favorite Quotes:
Sorry to hear that man, it's like that one famous bumper sticker, "Shit Happens"
it still seems that your balls drop very rapidly

#73 b00m13

b00m13

• Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 09:45 PM

so, I thought about it for a bit, and wondered, "what do you get when you merge a Cross with a Plus?"

You would get an asterisk. We have built an asterisk bow...the *bow.

-Groove

HEY!! Wait a minute, asterisks have 6 arms, not 8!! You're still missing 2 limbs.

I just remembered something from my younger days. Something from when I was a junior/senior in my old JHS. Groove might remember this too, seeing as he's old....er... O.O; older then some of us. ^_^

But anyway, I remembered a famous symbol from that old movie and it looked like the combination of a Plus with a Cross. It was supposed to represent a human stick figure in the movie or something, and it struck fear in millions of its' viewers. It was used as the cover for the billboards and DVD's, etc.

It looked something like this:

Posted Image

The Blair Witch Bow

A quick EDIT...
ignore the thing said about Groove being old...
otherwise I'd be making fun of myself as well...
eugh... >_>

Edited by b00m13, 01 April 2009 - 10:46 PM.

The only place Wal-Mart exists in New York, is in our TV's.

#74 Groove

Groove

Certified Badass

• Founders
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 10:10 PM

Groove might remember this too, seeing as he's old....er... O.O; older then some of us. ^_^

I'm only 23, for the record - far from the thralls of old age.

And while this weapon may be imbued with the mystical energies from the silk of the Spider Queen, it is by no means a "Blair Witch Bow." At the very most, it would be a Witchalok Bow.

For fuck's sake BustaNinja, it's the stinger of a Manticore. Those of you foolish enough to think that the Manticore stinger mounted in the vestigial gorge that was once the actual barrel is purely for aesthetics are truly in for a surprise. Slug and I have found a way to focus my administrative powers into a precise beam, effectively banning people (in real life) with a single, vicious blast of radiation. What's that? How does it work? I'll let you figure that out on your own.

I still have nightmares about those dozens of cats we went through in the initial testing phases.

-Groove
PS ~ That's enough bullshitting for now

#75 BustaNinja

BustaNinja

• Members
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 11:07 PM

About perfect guns? I beg to differ. Either this is it, or pretty damn close. I mean, its a full integration on a modular format with a frickin +bow inside it.

So you had to genetically engineer maticores to have their poison gland grow into a pure "awesome" gland, in essence expelling energized awesome at targets in the form of "Ban"-na radiation?

Yeah, this is truly the perfect primary... No more "all it needs" or anything... I wish I was worthy enough to even look at it, and as such have to resort to pictures on a website from a place far away. Not worthy! Not Worthy! *grovelling*

and the *bow? Is the asterisk replaceable with your curse of choice when you get hit? Thats the only logical use I could find. Or foot notes, like you look at your life and realize you will never be as cool as even the dart it fired?

Edited by BustaNinja, 01 April 2009 - 11:10 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users