Sleep peacefully old wanderer.

Upcoming Nerf Wars:
July 19th, New Haven CT NENO 8
July 19th, Murray UT S.L.A.N.G. Salt Lake Area Nerf Geeks
July 20th, West Allis WI MANO
July 25th, Austin TX Nerf Night
July 26th, Fayetteville GA NoMNE 4.0
July 26th, Bloomington IL Mayhem 3.5
August 2nd, Oakhurst NJ Apocalypse 2014 <<< Biggest Annual East Coast Summer War
September 13th, Cincinnati OH Ohio Revolution II: Redcoats Revenge
To get your war posted on the main page, submit your planning thread to the 2016 Nerf War Schedule.

Contests
We've had several more entries in our quest to find the perfect homemade nerf gun design for n00bs. Links to all the updates after the break below.
We've extended the deadline for updates and submissions. You now have until Monday the 21st of July to submit a write-up to the submission thread, and you have until August 4th to update and improve your guide.

Featured Trading Threads
MHA Dartsmithing Kits
Mostly Harmless Arms Blaster Sales
Snickers' 3D Printing Services

Click here to read more, including:Previously on NerfHaven, Nerf Facts, and a Discussion Topic...
Don't forget to follow us on Facebook and Twitter to keep up with front page updates and announcements.

You can poop in my toilet anytime champ.

2016 Nerf War Schedule
Bless you, my son. Now recite 3 New Members Guides and 5 Code of Conducts for your sins.

#2 Langley

Langley

LGLF - Since 2002

• Administrators
  • 2,997 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 09:59 AM

Previously, on NerfHaven...
Here's what you missed if you haven't been around since May.

Nerf Facts
  • The average age on NerfHaven is about 22, based on users in the members group who have been active in the last three months who have put their year of birth in their profile. The high number is attributed to younger and newer members being more likely to leave their birthdate blank in their profile.
  • As of Friday the 28th of June, The LGLF is 12 years old. Next summer we'll be old enough to join Nerfhaven!
  • Thorn is, per unit of height, the best nerfer on the West Coast.

Discussion Topic
To Tap or not to Tap?
Due to some injuries from overzealous barrel-taps, we've made them against the rules at Apoc. They have been outlawed at Chicago nerf wars for a few years now. The obvious downside is that players are more likely to get shot a point-blank, but the upside is you don't have arguments about taps on the field and you don't get people smashing barrels into each other. What do you do at your wars? Which option do you prefer?

*For those who don't know, the barrel tap rule is an optional rule allowing a player to 'tap' another player with their barrel instead of shooting them point blank.

2016 Nerf War Schedule
Bless you, my son. Now recite 3 New Members Guides and 5 Code of Conducts for your sins.

#3 Zack Dorris

Zack Dorris

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 10:56 AM

Honestly I would rather have taps but you would have to limit how hard you can touch someone with you barell. I would rather be lightly tapped by a piece of plumbing than be shot point blank by a blaster. Obviously there would be the one douche who would try to bend the lightly tap rule and try to knock someone out with their barell.

Edited by Zack Dorris, 19 July 2014 - 10:57 AM.

#4 Daniel Beaver

Daniel Beaver

HQRSE CQCK

• Moderators
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 12:36 PM

I removed barrel taps from the rules at my wars because they seemed to be causing more problems than they fixed. With modern darts, it's not a really big deal to get shot point-blank.

#5 Zack Dorris

Zack Dorris

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 10:01 PM

I removed barrel taps from the rules at my wars because they seemed to be causing more problems than they fixed. With modern darts, it's not a really big deal to get shot point-blank.

I see where you are coming from. In the wars I have with my friends most of them use stock blasters or lightly modded ones and this isn't an issue but as they learn how to make nic worthy blasters it becomes more of an issue. It basically comes down to get shot point blank or hope the person is smart enough to know how hard is too hard. In a larger nic war I would say no period. But in a smaller environment you can get people to use a magical thing called common sense. Then you wouldn't have an as big liability that someone could be injured.

#6 evilbunnyo

evilbunnyo

• Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 10:24 PM

I always have a springer pistol on me or I will use a less pwered shot to hit someone up close. I have only been barrel taped 3 times. twice was with stock barrels which wasnt to bad. The third was a cvpc barrel. It hurt not badly but if it had hit somewhere on my body other than my arm it could have done some damage.
Silence is golden but duct tape is silver

#7 Zack Dorris

Zack Dorris

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 08:45 AM

I always have a springer pistol on me or I will use a less pwered shot to hit someone up close. I have only been barrel taped 3 times. twice was with stock barrels which wasnt to bad. The third was a cvpc barrel. It hurt not badly but if it had hit somewhere on my body other than my arm it could have done some damage.

That is what I think should be the norm to use a sidearm for distances under 20' and to tap. Saves pain but would take longer to draw said pistol and fire.

#8 spencerak

spencerak

• Members
  • 172 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 11:00 AM

Something similar to the surrender rule in paintball could be implemented to eliminate point blank shots and barrel taps.

Holy shit it's Captain Slug.

#9 Langley

Langley

LGLF - Since 2002

• Administrators
  • 2,997 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 12:19 PM

Something similar to the surrender rule in paintball could be implemented to eliminate point blank shots and barrel taps.

I've had plenty of people tell me to take a tap, which is sort of like the surrender rule. I usually refuse through. The issue for me is that you can totally miss someone from just a couple of feet away, especially if they're moving, so I'd rather take the point blank shot if there's a chance that their hopper will explode or they'll miss.

Another problem with tapping is that people will often blindly tap around a corner or end up tapping someone on their gun.

2016 Nerf War Schedule

#10 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 12:57 PM

I had been a proponent of barrel taps, but after nerfing at Armageddon, where they were not used this year, I can say that it is no big deal. This is with the caveat that we banned hard-tipped darts as well. I think Beaver is correct, that using modern darts remove the need for taps.

... so I'd rather take the point blankshot if there's a chance that their hopper will explode or they'll miss.

I can't count how many times that happened to me.

Edited by Draconis, 20 July 2014 - 01:01 PM.

[15:51] <+Noodle> titties
[15:51] <+Rhadamanthys> titties
[15:51] <+jakejagan> titties
[15:51] <+Lucian> boobs
[15:51] <+Gears> titties
[15:51] <@Draconis> Titties.
[15:52] <+Noodle> why is this so hard?

#11 hoongfu

hoongfu

• Members
  • 475 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 03:26 PM

Having been shot near point blank and point blank and ending up with nasty bruising courtesy of the recently deceased, may Gears live forever, long live the king, I find barrel taps quite lovely. Also because I normally flank hard and get behind people. I have also dished out quite a bit of damage to people like Shandsgator8 (wrecked both of his elbows in the same war from 2 ft away) and he requested I just say surrender or 'tap'. I happily obliged. Now I say 'tap/surrender' based on who I'm up against. Last war there were plenty of new players and I chose to play with them mercifully. For people like the deceased, long live the king, I'll light him up!

#12 CaliforniaPants

CaliforniaPants

Futtbrustrated

• Moderators
  • 459 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 11:08 PM

THORN IS THE SICKEST
I like taps.

trans as shit because fuck you

#13 Aeromech

Aeromech

• Moderators
  • 434 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 03:15 PM

Being shot in the side of the head from 5-6 feet away is not fun.

So long as it's a swiping motion, and not the "fixed bayonets" linear stab, I do not mind barrel tapping. That being said, no exposed metal.
Watch my shitty videos

This is so ghetto but so awesome.

#14 father time

father time

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 01:10 PM

We always use the stock to "Tap" with, the part that you stick into your shoulder is less likely to be something damaging (No sharp edges)
Ask her if she wants you to give her a multiple orgasm.
And when she looks stunned show her a picture of the blaster.
But if she gets excited. You're in.
-Miguel Ramos
Time is the one thing you can never escape.-Father Time

#15 Snoop Doggy doge

Snoop Doggy doge

Fig you, Van

• Members
  • 501 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 12:03 PM

In memory of Kyle "Gears" Ripley. September 18, 1990 - August 1st, 2014
Sleep peacefully old wanderer.

Upcoming Nerf Wars:
July 19th, New Haven CT NENO 8
July 19th, Murray UT S.L.A.N.G. Salt Lake Area Nerf Geeks
July 20th, West Allis WI MANO
July 25th, Austin TX Nerf Night
July 26th, Fayetteville GA NoMNE 4.0
July 26th, Bloomington IL Mayhem 3.5
August 2nd, Oakhurst NJ Apocalypse 2014 <<< Biggest Annual East Coast Summer War
September 13th, Cincinnati OH Ohio Revolution II: Redcoats Revenge
To get your war posted on the main page, submit your planning thread to the 2016 Nerf War Schedule.

Contests
We've had several more entries in our quest to find the perfect homemade nerf gun design for n00bs. Links to all the updates after the break below.
We've extended the deadline for updates and submissions. You now have until Monday the 21st of July to submit a write-up to the submission thread, and you have until August 4th to update and improve your guide.

Featured Trading Threads
MHA Dartsmithing Kits
Mostly Harmless Arms Blaster Sales
Snickers' 3D Printing Services

Click here to read more, including:Previously on NerfHaven, Nerf Facts, and a Discussion Topic...
Don't forget to follow us on Facebook and Twitter to keep up with front page updates and announcements.

what had happened to Kyle, RIP to him but as i am new, if someone could inform me i would like to know

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users