Photo

Guide To Barrel Material

229 replies to this topic

#51 Retiate

Retiate

• Members
  • 778 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 08:11 PM

CS, would you mind posting the McMaster links for Sch. 80 CPVC and the aluminum tubing. I haven't had any luck finding them on McMaster.

EDIT: I found the Aluminum tubing, but am still looking for the Sch. 80 CPVC link/part number.

Is this is?:
Macmaster part #6803K52

And Lynx, I'd go with somewhere around 4.5". Maybe a little more, maybe a little less. Experiment with it a bit, find the perfect barrel length for maximum range.

#52 Nonsense Man

Nonsense Man

• Members
  • 308 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 08:21 PM

What barrel length would you recommend for a big blast?
QUOTE(1lastnerfgun @ Apr 19 2008, 08:39 AM) View Post

40 shots for 40 cocks

#53 keef

keef

• Members
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 09:54 PM

PETG or CPVC. I have a PETG breech on my, works GREAT!

For the Nf... Shave the 1/2 pvc to fit cpvc in it great, and add a coupler or glue the cpvc to the gun. Then you take off the pvc, load a dart, and put it back on.

Too bad it would be really long...
Timothy M-Lick <3

#54 sam

sam

• Members
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 10:18 PM

Is this is?:
Macmaster part #6803K52

I believe it is, thank you.
For the NF- 4", maybe 4.5", with a marker barrel nested inside.
For the Big Blast- Any where from 8" to 14" depending on how much you pump it

#55 NerfRifleman

NerfRifleman

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 11:38 PM

is anyone familiar with the barrel material FA24 uses for hid doomsayer???
because i would like to get a hold of some and i dont know what it is or where to get it

#56 NerfRifleman

NerfRifleman

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 11:39 PM

is anyone familiar with the barrel material FA24 uses for his doomsayer???
because i would like to get a hold of some and i dont know what it is or where to get it

oops double post my bad

#57 SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

• Members
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 11:45 PM

That would be PETG. One Man Clan, aka OMC, sells it in the trading forum. Ask for the thickwalled variant. It's dirt cheap, at 50 cents a foot, and is one of the two "best" barrel materials available next to brass.

P.S.: Be careful, you're not off to what some might call a great start. Clean up your posts to avoid most of the flak coming your way.

Edited by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA, 04 November 2007 - 11:46 PM.

The only commonly shared fate among us all is death. I turn to the shadows so that I may not be unfamiliar with hell's corridors when I arrive. - SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

Founder of the Shadow Militia.
Founder of Nightshade Laboratories and The Nightshade Armament Corporation.

#58 n-strike

n-strike

• Banned
  • 358 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 12:05 AM

If I were to mod a Crossbow, should I use PVC or CPVC?
kthxbaisend

#59 SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

• Members
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 12:18 AM

CPVC > PVC

Nested brass in PVC > CPVC

PETG ~ Nested brass in PVC

PVC is only good for mega stefans and stock darts, which are not the type of things that are ideal for Crossbows. The true purpose of 1/2" PVC is to nest brass in.
The only commonly shared fate among us all is death. I turn to the shadows so that I may not be unfamiliar with hell's corridors when I arrive. - SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

#60 Cannonball

Cannonball

• Members
  • 357 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 07:54 PM

I plan on using PETG as a barrel for a Secret Shot 2. Now I saw Baghead's mod in the directory but I haven't decided if I was going to use his UBS on mine. What would you guys recommend? It may be a noob question or what not, but I've been doing some research on it and I'd rather not risk ruining my gun. Also, should I go with the barrel length he used (6 inches) or go for something else?

#61 sam

sam

• Members
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 08:46 PM

I've used both 6" and 12" barrel's on the SS2 I used to own, I would do some testing. There didn't seem to be a huge difference, so I went with 8". A simple coupler will do just fine If you don't want to risk breaking it, don't mod it.

#62 Cannonball

Cannonball

• Members
  • 357 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 09:25 PM

I should have reworded that part. I should have said I don't want to risk ruining it some stupid way. Basically I want to know what I'm doing before I start so I don't mess up you know?

Thanks for the help Sam. So just slap on a coupler made of brass? I'm new to working with brass and PETG as you can see.

#63 SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

• Members
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 11:04 PM

No. Do you want to use brass or PETG? If brass, then you have to make a nested barrel. I know, this is a Max Shot mod, but skip down to step 6 and I explain the nested brass barrel. The only thing you have to do is adapt the coupler end to fit onto your SS2.

If you want a UBS or a PETG barrel, you'll have no choice but to follow bag's instructions.

Edit: Link wasn't working. Try it now.

Edited by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA, 26 November 2007 - 11:07 PM.

#64 sam

sam

• Members
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 11:27 PM

I would just do a 1/2" PVC coupler and nest PETG/brass in PVC, it will make your ROF a lot faster, and you won't lose much on distance.

#65 SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

• Members
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 11:47 PM

I would just do a 1/2" PVC coupler and nest PETG/brass in PVC, it will make your ROF a lot faster, and you won't lose much on distance.

That's what a nested brass barrel is. The PETG might fit into the coupler itself, but if not then you might want to sand out some PVC or make an adapter.

#66 Cannonball

Cannonball

• Members
  • 357 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 12:07 AM

Thank you so much guys. I really appreciate the help. I'll keep all of this in mind when I work on it. I'll let you know how it turns out. Now I need to see a man about some PETG

#67 sam

sam

• Members
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 12:45 AM

That's what a nested brass barrel is. The PETG might fit into the coupler itself, but if not then you might want to sand out some PVC or make an adapter.

I mean with out the smaller brass nested in the coupler.

#68 xNFx 37

xNFx 37

• Members
  • 455 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 10:38 AM

I just found out that the 9/16 PETG I found at my local pet store has a PERFECT seal in copper tubing. So if you want a breach other than the usual brass in brass setup, check out copper and PETG!!
it also has a cock on it

-Chief

#69 h2player116

h2player116

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 06:55 PM

I personally ALWAYS use CPVC because it has a tight fit on my darts there-fore the way I look at it the tighter the dart the more pressure there is when you shoot and the air will blast it clean out.
Am I correct?
I seem to think that CPVC also above owns everywhere:
-availability:I see it all the time
-cost:3.18$CAD for approximetly 12ft
-dart fit:nice n' tight
-easy to cut:Easy to cut with any hacksaw even if it has a feeble blade and can be sanded down with a nail filer :lol:

So thats why I prefer CPVC for all my barrel's.

#70 Thom

Thom

• Members
  • 759 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 11:14 PM

Sort of. The tighter the fit, the better the seal, and in springers the higher the pressure when the dart starts to move, but the greater the friction. The absurd case is a barrel so tight the dart won't budge. it's a balance.

#71 sn1per

sn1per

• Banned
  • 249 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 04:40 PM

Will a crayola barrel that isn't sanded out affect performance? There is nothing inside except for these 3 line things near the end...they scar darts.
QUOTE(Scotch @ Feb 3 2008, 05:47 PM) View Post

sn1per I appreciate your humor, that made me laugh literally out loud.

"It's a free country, UNDER MY DICTATORSHIP!!!"
-Connor

#72 Foam Shooter

Foam Shooter

• Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 07:05 PM

...they scar darts.

Didn't you kind of answer your question. It also takes away accuracy in my opinion. You should consider CPVC.

Also I had an old toy batton(from when I was five). It was made out of perfect size PETG so look for a clear batton with liquid and glitter in it and endcaps on the end.

#73 tyrant bb

tyrant bb

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 01:12 AM

I'm trying to make guns fire stock darts, but to do that and get the most range out of them I have to make the barrels like less than 3 inches long, which makes them inaccurate. I heard that 1/2" SCH40 PVC would work good because it would fit the tips good, and its an OK fit, but it seems too loose, because my darts go pretty much as far as a stock gun would shoot them. The darts can slide down the barrel too just by moving the barrel around.

Should I could go and see what kind of brass would fit the tips good? Or do barrels that touch only the tips generally suck.
Palm beach is in florida you dingaling face.

#74 Dayko

Dayko

• Members
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 01:20 AM

I'm trying to make guns fire stock darts, but to do that and get the most range out of them I have to make the barrels like less than 3 inches long, which makes them inaccurate. I heard that 1/2" SCH40 PVC would work good because it would fit the tips good, and its an OK fit, but it seems too loose, because my darts go pretty much as far as a stock gun would shoot them. The darts can slide down the barrel too just by moving the barrel around.

Should I could go and see what kind of brass would fit the tips good? Or do barrels that touch only the tips generally suck.

I would try using 1/2 inch CPVC. They have a tighter fit on the dart. I wouldn't get PVC for shooting stock darts, its too loose on the darts.

< One foot in death...The other in life. >

#75 tyrant bb

tyrant bb

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 01:39 AM

Dayko: I've been using 1/2" CPVC but when the tips of the stock darts go to it, it stops there. I want to make a longer barrel so it's more accurate while still using stock darts.
Palm beach is in florida you dingaling face.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users