Photo

Air Restrictor Removal Cons

4 replies to this topic

#1 Echoblammo

Echoblammo

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 03:35 PM

Hello Nerfhaven! This is my first post so bear with me if I make a few mistakes :rolleyes:

So I have recently been getting into Nerf a lot more than I have been recently, and like anyone with Internet, has seen Nerf Mods.

So from what I've gathered, removing the AR on almost all guns (except ones that require them) is a Simple and effective mod, but I've also heard other things about doing so, such as the Weapon will lose quality and just generally get worn down, but have also heard people say its perfectly fine and doesn't harm the weapon.

Whih of these is true? and if it does damage over time, how do I prevent this?

#2 shmmee

shmmee

• Members
  • 467 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 05:09 PM

That's a pretty good question to ask. So many modders jump right into a project without pausing to evaluate the ramifications the mod will have.

The purpose of an AR is to both slow down the plunger in it's final moments of travel as well as to limit the amount of air delivered. They also prevent you from sucking darts into the plunger tube. Some AR's also act as a pneumatic switching method to send air to only loaded barrels (smart AR - Ruffcut2x4, zombie strike xbow...) Removing AR's from a smart AR blaster will basically turn it into a pretty useless absolved blaster since all the blasters will be receiving air, splitting the flow between them.

Removing the AR can shorten the over all life of a blaster, but with a stock spring it shouldn't be too much unless it's an inverse plunger. The life span of an inverse plunger blaster will be significantly shortened since the plunger walls are so notoriously thin. Once you add springs and remove an AR you'll be doing more damage to the plunger and the shell supporting members.

You can pad most plunger faces with as much padding as you'd like but there are some exceptions. Padding the inverse plunger clip fed system plunger faces (raider/recon) will limit the travel of the plunger and keep the catch from reaching the catch plate. Sucking a dart into an ar removed blaster is the cause of one of the more common blaster jams. Craft foam is the most common material for plunger padding. Craft foam can be stacked until it provides a sufficient padding, but at the slight sacrifice of plunger volume.

I keep some of my arsenal bone stock (locks and AR's remaining) so I don't have to tear the blaster apart after loaning it out. If you're loaning your blasters out often you might want to keep a few stock as well.
"and we should respect the people who make our blasters. Even if we do molest the hell out of them..."
~BritNerfMogul

#3 Snoop Doggy doge

Snoop Doggy doge

Fig you, Van

• Members
  • 501 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 07:49 PM

In any of the CS (clip system) elite blasters, removal of the AR will kill the blaster as the plunger head is pretty weak and will be destroyed even with a stock spring for a while. Padding does something but delays the inevitable in my experience. ARs are good in the CS elites,

#4 tweak

tweak

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 08:47 AM

I found Coop's video on dry firing helps wrap your head around what the AR's purpose.

I leave my main AR in on most my blasters. The sound of dry firing on accident w/o an AR makes me cringe.

#5 Raisinbran

Raisinbran

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 09:28 AM

The air restrictor is a piece of plastic to hinder the air flow and make the blaster less powerful. In this way, Hasbro won't be in trouble if a blaster is hurting kids (even though air restrictor removals won't affect the impact of the blaster very much.)

By removing the air restrictor you are a victim to 'dry firing'. Dry firing is when you prime the blaster and pull the trigger when there is no projectile seated well in the breech. This damages your plunger because its impacting so hard. In the long run, dry firing is HORRIBLE.

Most of the elite blasters get almost no performance enhancement from AR removals. But previous lines of n-strike like the recon or longshot benefit from this modification.

In the end, mod at your own risk.

Hope that helped!
You're a great nerf modder! So keep up the great work and be awesome! :D :D :D :D :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users