Photo

Single pump Ultimator

4 replies to this topic

#1 UltimatorOnEbay

UltimatorOnEbay

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 10:13 PM

Has anyone attempted to modify an Ultimator so it can be loaded faster? As it is not it takes about 15 pumps of the handle before it is fully primed and ready to go. It would be great to have a rapid fire missile launcher. Any suggestions?

#2 shmmee

shmmee

• Members
  • 467 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 09:03 AM

That's something I've been considering for years but have never actually tried. I've thought about putting in some kind of pulley system so the travel is doubled but the priming force is halved but attaching the pulley directly to the plunger rod would have rope screaming through the pulleys when a shot is fired. Not only would it slow the plunger travel but it would be a big risk of injury if the rope grabbed skin as it retracted.

I then considered having some type of carriage in front of the rear priming plate with springs to retract it so the carriage is retracted to the front after priming. That would require holes drilled through the rear priming plate, and I'm not sure if it would survive the forces once compromised.

I then considered a third option. Weld a bar to the back of the priming plate and cut slots out the sides for the bar. This seemed the simplest and most viable. I eventually scrapped the concept though. I'd had my Ultimator since Christmas morning - straight off the store shelf. It's one of my more precious blasters and I didn't want to do any major shell work to it. If I was to pick any of the modifications that's the one I'd go with, just be sure to brace and reinforce the handles. I don't think they would last long if you were pushing against one of them while pulling a priming bar. Installing a shoulder stock to brace against would also move the priming force off the handle and into your shoulder. Try to keep the added priming bar light weight. You don't want to add any more mass to the priming bar than you have to. It's already got a lot of mass in play.

Good luck. I don't think i've ever seen anyone single pump load an ultimator but i'm pretty sure it would rock. Oh, and btw if you ever want to make a slip on shotgun attachment - they do pretty amazing things with long loose fitting barrels like petg and sch 80. It doesn't like tight barrels.
"and we should respect the people who make our blasters. Even if we do molest the hell out of them..."
~BritNerfMogul

#3 sublimedom777

sublimedom777

• Members
  • 468 posts

Posted 23 July 2015 - 12:01 AM

I can't personally get too technical about it, but have you felt the power of the spring? It is almost always a problem to re-seat it after servicing the blaster. Any such modification to reduce the number of actions involved in the draw is going to cut into the mechanical advantage gained by the lever.

My best recommendation would be, if you are having slippage while priming, flip the firing catch around. My Ultimator wouldn't prime reliably without holding the the trigger forward, as it was worn. It now primes in approx 11-12 "pumps".

If you're still set on this, my idea had been to install a T handle that was attached to the plunger rod by cable. Adding a name-badge style retractable cord will keep the handle tight to the back of the shell prior to/during the firing process. (Think lawnmower pull cord)

Alternatively you could rig it so that the cord is extended when the blaster is fired and retracted when it is primed. (you would be pulling on the cable housing, so this would have to be more durable)

Edited by sublimedom777, 23 July 2015 - 12:03 AM.

Last of the Sex Dwarves, Head of Waifu Relations, Fetishizer of Blasters, The Far Warring, Mini-Van Driver, Possessor of Mattels, and Warden of the Manongahela

We NERF ON all day, and FUCK OFF all night

#4 UltimatorOnEbay

UltimatorOnEbay

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 05:12 PM

These are some great ideas.

#5 The2ndBluesBro

The2ndBluesBro

• Members
  • 576 posts

Posted 25 July 2015 - 07:01 AM

You could just put it on eBay :)

Seriously though, you're better off selling it. While I'm all for the "mod it and have fun" mentality, some blasters are just better collector's pieces/stock blasters than mod projects. IMO, the only time moddong a blaster as expensive and rare as the ultimator is worth it is if it was broken to begin with, and modding it will bring its value back.

Nerf, Gaming, knives: https://www.youtube....FjcObRZTl2KReDQ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users