Broken Longshot Plunger Tube Cap

Help me fix my primary!

9 replies to this topic

#1 leafy

leafy

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 08:25 PM

So, the black piece on my Longshot that houses the springs and screws onto the back of the plunger tube, is busted. It cracked off (screw-ports and all)
when I tried to prime it after installing My Ace#49 spring replacement. I've tried replacing it with the top of a medicine container, and that cracked in half,I don't know what to do next and don't want to spend a lot of money (preferably none). I've heard something about a 3/4 in. PVC end-cap wrapped in E-tape, but so far I have no specific help or plans. All suggestions and help are welcome, please help me fix my primary.

Thanks, Leafy.

If you guys find it fun, then by all means flail and thrust away.

- Daniel Beaver

#2 The Manta

The Manta

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 08:44 PM

That stinks. I have three springs in mine (stock, Recon, NF) and mine hasn't shown any type of stress mark yet. I think the endcap should work well, just put some machine screws in the end of the PT to secure it in place and goop any leaks.
EDIT: Yes, snakerbot is right. DO NOT goop the endcap in place

Edited by The Manta, 23 March 2012 - 03:29 PM.

Get chance and luck

#3 snakerbot

snakerbot

Maker of Things

• Members
  • 310 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 10:29 PM

That stinks. I have three springs in mine (stock, Recon, NF) and mine hasn't shown any type of stress mark yet. I think the endcap should work well, just put some machine screws in the end of the PT to secure it in place and goop any leaks.

Do not goop the endcap in place. It only needs to act as a spring rest, so there's no need for it to be airtight. And if you leave it ungooped, you can remove it for maintenance or additional work on your springs. But besides that, yeah it should work. Run some screws through the sides of the plunger tube into the walls of the endcap and it should hold fine. That's what people do on SNAPs.

#4 Matches

Matches

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 10:53 PM

You ought to be able to fix the endcap by epoxying a washer to each side of it. Ace (of course!) has one the perfect size. I don't know its actual part number but it's the thinner version of MSB-XH. My LS's endcap either broke like yours or it started cracking, and that's what I did to fix it. I also covered the extensions where the screw sockets in the endcap are with epoxy, sticking a very thin piece of rolled up paper into the actual socket so no epoxy would get in there.
"I've put slug-darts through a Rubbermaid plastic trash can at 15-18 feet. The idea that 'plastic' is somehow invulnerable is an error you really don't want to stand behind." --Just Some Bob on plastic shields

#5 leafy

leafy

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 06:17 AM

So I can simply drill a hole in an endcap and put it in the back, how far in do I put it and stuff?
Is there a writeup for this?
Thanks, but just. Need a little more specifics.

Leafy

- Daniel Beaver

#6 Guitarzan

Guitarzan

• Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 11:33 AM

I would actually recomend the DIY advice everyone else is giving first....

but if that doesn't work out for you, xplorer dart blaster developments just released a metal version of the exact piece that broke on your gun. In my opinion they overcharge for their products, but you definitely won't have to worry about it breaking again. You can find them on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/241266132605635/ and then email them for price inquiry.

#7 Aeromech

Aeromech

• Moderators
  • 434 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 12:30 PM

If the geometry permits, try making epoxy putty reinforcements, a la makeitgo

Although this is for a quadshot/octoshot, the the principle holds. This should prevent further damage by distributing the forces over a wider area.
Watch my shitty videos

This is so ghetto but so awesome.

#8 nuni7270

nuni7270

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 03:38 PM

I fixed my LS by taking a medicine bottle cap that would fit in the assembly, making a hole in the cap, and just installing it as the stock cap. The only thing is that I did not glue mine as I found that the Longshot's shell will hold it in place together with with my springs. No problems so far and it shows the same ranges that it had before it broke. It also allows for easier access to the plunger shaft and an all together shorter modding time.

Edited by nuni7270, 27 March 2012 - 03:39 PM.

5, 4, 3, 2, 1, BOOM

#9 leafy

leafy

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:00 PM

So I've managed to fix it with a 3/4 in. PVC end-cap, but it is really pissing' me off. Everything keeps having issues or just failing randomly. I may end up selling this, if anyone is interested. :angry:

- Daniel Beaver

#10 Conith

Conith

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:38 PM

In my experience you don't even need the spring rest that is screwed onto the PT. There are enough supports in the shell behind the plunger tube to hold the springs. Obviously this is'nt the best, most reliable, or safest way but I did the same thing you did a while back with a [k26] and without it mine has worked fine since.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users