Painting Tips?

For painting the tactical rail.

9 replies to this topic

#1 Norther of Heaven

Norther of Heaven

• Members
  • 349 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 11:29 AM

I want to give one of my guns a nice new set of colors, but i want to still be able to use the tactical rails on it without there being any resistance when i slide things onto them. Anyone have any suggestions?
"I don't always drink beer. But when I do,
I beat my wife."

#2 hereticorp

hereticorp

• Members
  • 621 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 11:35 AM

I want to give one of my guns a nice new set of colors, but i want to still be able to use the tactical rails on it without there being any resistance when i slide things onto them. Anyone have any suggestions?

Don't put 20 coats of paint on.

Short of that, don't worry about it. My tac rails still work perfectly, and you've seen all the paint I put on them.

#3 Norther of Heaven

Norther of Heaven

• Members
  • 349 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 11:39 AM

Ahh, thought that might help. Thanks.
"I don't always drink beer. But when I do,
I beat my wife."

#4 jwasko

jwasko

PowerBeard

• Moderators
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 01:11 PM

If you use Duplicolor Vinyl and Fabric (see here, for example), you won't add any thickness at all; it's dye rather than a paint, so the only way it will wear off is if the plastic wears down.

The only limitation (or so I've heard) is that it doesn't work well (or even at all) on already-painted surfaces. I.E., it will work fine on the yellow portions of a current-gen NF but not so well on the grey-white parts.

I've seen a decent selection of it at Advance Auto Parts...or was it AutoZone? One of the two, anyway.

-Jwasko, STILL Sole Surviving member of Steel City Nerf and Sober Sister of the Sex Dwarves
We NERF ON all day, and FUCK OFF all night

#5 hereticorp

hereticorp

• Members
  • 621 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 01:22 PM

If you use Duplicolor Vinyl and Fabric (see here, for example), you won't add any thickness at all; it's dye rather than a paint, so the only way it will wear off is if the plastic wears down.

The only limitation (or so I've heard) is that it doesn't work well (or even at all) on already-painted surfaces. I.E., it will work fine on the yellow portions of a current-gen NF but not so well on the grey-white parts.

I've seen a decent selection of it at Advance Auto Parts...or was it AutoZone? One of the two, anyway.

It works fine over the stock paintjobs on a NF or anything with a tac rail.

What it doesn't work over is spray paint. If you put Vinyl Dye over regular spray, or plastics spray it'll peel right off. And that blows goats when you use it as a primary color.

Advance, AutoZone doesn't carry DupliColor if I remember correctly.

#6 Banshee

Banshee

• Members
  • 668 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 02:27 PM

In my experience, if you use cheap hi-gloss paints, it will be gummy even after weeks of drying. I painted my AT3K with a cheap hi-gloss brown and I couldn't pump it for a good 2 months. So I always use flat colors. Unfortunately that limits your color range. But adding thickness isn't whats going to stop your accessories from attaching, its whether or not your surface is smooth and bonded well. Luckily for me, I always paint mine with that cheap $.96 flat black Wal-Mart spray paint. So if you wants flat black, there's the way to go.
Like my page on Facebook! PM me, I do commissions!

#7 hereticorp

hereticorp

• Members
  • 621 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 02:29 PM

In my experience, if you use cheap hi-gloss paints, it will be gummy even after weeks of drying. I painted my AT3K with a cheap hi-gloss brown and I couldn't pump it for a good 2 months. So I always use flat colors. Unfortunately that limits your color range. But adding thickness isn't whats going to stop your accessories from attaching, its whether or not your surface is smooth and bonded well. Luckily for me, I always paint mine with that cheap $.96 flat black Wal-Mart spray paint. So if you wants flat black, there's the way to go.

Heh... You avoid gloss because you don't want to spend a little more on paint? Seriously?

DupliColor makes a really nice gloss black Vinyl Dye, and some really kickass Metallics.

Krylon Fusion has some really good gloss as well.

Don't be a cheapass about your paint and you won't have problems.

#8 slowguitarman

slowguitarman

• Members
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 03:17 PM

Not everybody can buy expensive paint. The cheapness of nerf is kinda killed if you buy a $30 gun and paint it with $20 worth of paints.
Your dreams were tight like a baby

SGM's Shred Shop -Mod Service

NerfHaven's resident drama queen.

#9 hereticorp

hereticorp

• Members
  • 621 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 05:03 PM

Not everybody can buy expensive paint. The cheapness of nerf is kinda killed if you buy a $30 gun and paint it with $20 worth of paints.

I guess I'm of the school that if you go cheap and it looks like complete shit, you may as well not have painted it at all.

Save up the extra $5 and make it look sexy. You don't have to spend $20 on paint to make a gun look good.

#10 Banshee

Banshee

• Members
  • 668 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 06:47 PM

Heh... You avoid gloss because you don't want to spend a little more on paint? Seriously?

DupliColor makes a really nice gloss black Vinyl Dye, and some really kickass Metallics.

Krylon Fusion has some really good gloss as well.

Don't be a cheapass about your paint and you won't have problems.

Haha, okay... NO. I'm not a cheap ass. When I say cheap, I mean "low quality". The brown paint I used on my AT3K was a $8 can of paint, but it still sucked. However, the lower priced paint does the job just fine, but I'm not a fan of gloss, so I just stick to flat black and at $.96, I've never been let down.
Like my page on Facebook! PM me, I do commissions!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users