Alternative Ammo

56 replies to this topic

#51 Daniel Beaver

Daniel Beaver

HQRSE CQCK

• Moderators
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 01:39 PM

Breech-based magazine systems are complicated, expensive and unreliable. Not every nerfer is a capable enough modder to build one. Hoppers by contrast are trivially easy to add on to a blaster. Remember, part of the motivation for searching for a new ammo type is to make life easier for nerfers. Any new ammo type we adopt must work with some sort of simple auto-loading mechanism, or else we are just exchanging one form of inconvenience for another

This is not to say that there isn't a way to make a simple auto-loader for shotgun wads - there probably is! But until that device exists, these are inferior to foam darts.

Heavier weighted rounds always have more accuracy than lighter weighted rounds.

This is an oversimplification. While extra mass certainly helps in windy conditions, it does not necessarily correlate to accuracy. I have witnessed many 0.8g slug darts which shoot like a laser beams, and shitty 1.7g dome dart which veer off to one side.

Edited by Daniel Beaver, 21 November 2011 - 01:45 PM.

#52 PVC Arsenal 17

PVC Arsenal 17

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 05:53 PM

@Daniel Beaver: If you go back to my OP, I think I mentioned why I was interested in these in the first place. Basically they're more resistant to axial deformation than foam so they're therefore much better suited for tube magazines. That, plus they're all the same length, means a reliable tube-fed automatic is very possible. The flexibility of the fins still makes them less than ideal for box mags but the unslit variety will probably address that issue.

A rotary breech fed by a tube mag is very simple to build. When time permits I will demonstrate exactly what I intended for these.

#53 DeathTrap2468

DeathTrap2468

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 06:03 PM

This is an oversimplification. While extra mass certainly helps in windy conditions, it does not necessarily correlate to accuracy. I have witnessed many 0.8g slug darts which shoot like a laser beams, and shitty 1.7g dome dart which veer off to one side.

Ok, I forgot the inconsistency of Slugs, but I more-or-less meant in a perfect world. I'll be sure to edit that. Also, you have to think about Newton's second law. An object with more force's motion will be harder to change with more mass; helping in windy situations. Therefore, heaver ammunition will have more consistent shots in terms of accuracy. For example, military losers will use heaver ammunition at longer ranges to provide with more consistency and accuracy.
Life sucks, get used to it.

#54 sharvil06

sharvil06

• Members
  • 225 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 07:14 PM

After various tests, I have found a possible way to make these "Wads" usable...
Posted Image
Posted Image

The one I found to be the best, is the last one in the line of designs.

Posted Image

To make this, I put 3 copper BB's in the "Well" of the wad and then hotglued a 1/4in piece of black foam (Nerfer63's Foam to be exact). I'm not sure of the exact weight of this because I do not own a scale. I have shot the wad down a 40ft hallway from a Snap and I havent seen any tumbling from the wad. To see how safe the wad is, I had my friend shoot me from 10ft (from a SNAP). The wad stings at impact but it does not hurt after a few seconds. Comments?

Edit: I tried using the left over heads for bolo rounds. They work well but they are not safe at all/they hurt too much...

Posted Image

Edited by sharvil06, 21 November 2011 - 09:01 PM.

#55 taerKitty

taerKitty

• Members
  • 883 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 07:29 PM

Okay, I tried a few things.

===

Bolo rounds

Posted Image

I cut the cut off the head from the tail, then cut the 'legs' between the two parts off. After filing the ends more-or-less-flat, I drilled a 1/8" hole in each, threaded some string, tied a knot and sealed it with hot glue. i put a piece of McM felt on the face so it would be safer firing out the barrel.

Eh. The biggest problem is that they aren't a super-snug fit in PVC, so the head slides somewhat freely while the tail is tighter. It doesn't splay out as nicely as Buffy's rounds. At 30-40', it's only ~1' apart out of the ~2' of string.

===

WadSlugs

Posted Image

I cut the head off the tail, then filed it flat-ish. I drilled a 1/8" hole through the face, then injected a small amount of hot glue through the hole to form a 'bead' on the other side and improve retention. I smeared a small amount of hot glue on the face, then applied a piece of McM felt.

It's okay. I fired it out of an SVT4B into my palm. Stung, but not nearly as much as a standard glue-dome. This plastic does give, and a lot more than hot glue. It goes 50' or so. I only had time to fire it a few times, so I can't report these as the 'final' and 'official' ranges.
Fugly is a feature.

#56 sharvil06

sharvil06

• Members
  • 225 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 08:06 PM

Taer, are your Wadslugs tumbling/fishtailing when you shoot them? I tried using the same method and my wads start
tumbling/fishtailing after they go 20-25ft from my snap.

#57 Daniel Beaver

Daniel Beaver

HQRSE CQCK

• Moderators
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 09:47 AM

I got my package today. They come tantalizingly close to getting an airtight fit in 1/2" PVC, but ultimately fail. Best bet for an airtight seal would be along the middle section, since the head has little grooves cut into it. I shot a few out of my SNAP, and they were so-so in terms of ranges, but very accurate. They work fairly well when shot out of my hose handle airgun, though only when using electrical conduit (mine nests with CPVC, and so is a tad wider than regular 1/2" PVC, so the wads fit loosely). I'll start cutting them up and playing with them today, see what I can come up with.

Obviously we can't use these with just the hollow tip, but I'm curious as to how that effects it's aerodynamics. These definitely have the capacity to be super-accurate, which I dig.

Edited by Daniel Beaver, 22 November 2011 - 09:48 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users