14 replies to this topic

#1 Gunther

Gunther

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 02:45 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image

Welcome to the 10th Nerf War at Fort Worden.

Artillery Hill in Fort Worden State Park is composed of a L-shaped line of concrete artillery batteries built to defend Puget Sound from enemy warships in the first half of the 20th century. The batteries are constructed in a similar style as German bunkers on D-Day. Three stories stretching across a quarter mile of concrete provides an excellent place for Nerf warfare.
Previous Wars listed on NerfHaven: Oct 2009, Dec 2009. Feb 2010, Oct 2010, March 2011, Oct 2011

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Date: Sunday, January 22nd, 2012.

Time:
10 am until dusk.

Benson, Ash, Quarles, & Randol (Artillery Hill) in Fort Worden State Park, Port Townsend, WA

Directions:
We will be playing in the batteries on Artillery Hill in the center of Fort Worden. Upon entering the park, drive straight until you reach the buildings at the base of the hill. Park around the old power building in front of you which is now a woodworking shop. From there, you can either follow the road on the left as it goes up the hill. You can also take any of the trails going up the hill until you reach Battery Way and follow it to the right. As the road reaches the top of the hill, the line of batteries will be on the right. We will probably be setting up around Battery Benson at the north end.

Park Map
Google maps

Cost: The State Park is free. You can park for free right outside of the park entrance or pay for a Discovery Pass to park within Fort Worden.

Sandwiches, soda, and water will be provided. Please let me know if you are planning on coming so I can bring enough for everyone.

I will have a large quantity of darts for general use. Mark your own darts, or they shall be donated to replenish this supply.

While not a rule, bringing a flashlight is strongly encouraged. There are some darker areas of the batteries and it will aid in dart clean-up.

What to bring:

• At least one blaster.
  • Nerf darts. Mark them with your initials if you want them back.
  • Eye protection. Shatter resistant glasses are acceptable. We have limited extras.

General Rules:
  • All players must be at least 14 years old. Most of our problems stem from young players without parental supervision.
  • Eye protection is required to be worn for all games.
  • We are guests of the park rangers at Fort Worden. We keep our bunkers clean, respect other guests, and behave ourselves.
  • Please bring blasters suitable for indoor Nerf warfare. All modded blasters are subject to approval.
  • Official Nerf darts only. Other brands are also acceptable. No homemade or camouflage darts.
  • Foam melee weapons are only allowed in the HvZ games and can only be wielded by zombies.

Special Note for caravans:
I had to get special permission from the park rangers to drive up to Battery Benson. I will open the gate for cars to load and unload at Battery Benson between 9-10 am and at dusk. We can't keep any cars parked up there, so this is for loading and unloading only.

Puget Sound Nerf War on YouTube

October 2009 Video taken by FlamingHilt

Posted Image

#2 cmeej

cmeej

• Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 02:56 PM

This war is what got me interested in Nerf. Unfortunately, as an Oregon nerfer, 4 hours is to much of a drive. Gunther, there is are several batteries, identical to this one in Fort Steven's Astoria (about half way from both of us - I've been there) ... would consider co-hosting a war there sometime later next year?
Qualified Ginger
Deal affectionado and photo nazi.
"If at first the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it" -Albert Einstein

#3 Gunther

Gunther

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 06:39 PM

This war is what got me interested in Nerf. Unfortunately, as an Oregon nerfer, 4 hours is to much of a drive. Gunther, there is are several batteries, identical to this one in Fort Steven's Astoria (about half way from both of us - I've been there) ... would consider co-hosting a war there sometime later next year?

Email puget.sound.nerf.war@ that google mail thingy so we can discuss this.

#4 Old-Man-Nerf

Old-Man-Nerf

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 01:16 AM

I have three confirmed for this war. We will shoot for an arrival time of 9:30 again to help you clear any trash and dangerous broken glass as usual.

I too have visited Fort Stevens, and it's very similar to Fort Worden with several exceptions. When I visited the site about five years back, many of the indoor rooms were sealed with locked iron gates. The interior hallways are a fun and fascinating battlefield without equal, and is especially vital in foul weather. Before a war can be hosted at Fort Stevens, I would highly recommend another in-person visit. Official permission can be vital to keep your group from driving for hours from all points on the compass only to be kicked out after a half hour of playing.

With that in mind, talk to the head ranger, explain what you wish to host and how many you expect will attend. Make it clear that your group will endeavor to leave the battlefield cleaner than you found it. Bring along a nerf gun and darts in case the ranger wants to inspect what your group is planning to use. (Many assume you're talking about using Airsoft guns or worse yet, paintball) Feel free to shoot yourself in the head with a dart to demonstrate the harmlessness of our chosen weapons. (Don't use a singled Titan for this! :-) Most of all, make a positive impression on him or her and let them know that your group will respect other guests and the historic site itself. It took a visit in person long before the war before Gunther and I obtained official permission to host the wars at Fort Worden, and constant vigilance to ensure that the rangers do not regret extending us that seal of approval.

#5 tuna the fish

tuna the fish

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 05:03 PM

I'll be there. I will most likely have a couple more people with me.

#6 Wickbuddy

Wickbuddy

• Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 07:03 PM

put me as a maybe. possibly +1 Also I'm turning 14 a week after the war, am i ok :D

Edited by Wickbuddy, 08 January 2012 - 07:04 PM.

Check me out on Youtube

#7 Lizard Messiah

Lizard Messiah

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 07:21 PM

I will be in attendance. I will bring at least one other. Can't wait!
A man is scarcely a man without a handkerchief.

#8 tuna the fish

tuna the fish

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 02:22 PM

So with all the snow is this still for sure? i know we have a few days and the news says it will rain and get warmer but just thought i'd ask.

#9 Gunther

Gunther

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 08:01 PM

So with all the snow is this still for sure? i know we have a few days and the news says it will rain and get warmer but just thought i'd ask.

Yes, it is still on.

#10 Wickbuddy

Wickbuddy

• Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 09:14 PM

Yes, it is still on.

ok good i was wondering about this!
Check me out on Youtube

#11 tuna the fish

tuna the fish

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 02:00 AM

So again my ride bailed on me. So if anyone is coming from the Seattle area let me know. Ill pay gas and stuff.
Also i only live a couple blocks from I-5?

Edited by tuna the fish, 22 January 2012 - 04:04 AM.

#12 Wickbuddy

Wickbuddy

• Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 10:31 AM

So again my ride bailed on me. So if anyone is coming from the Seattle area let me know. Ill pay gas and stuff.
Also i only live a couple blocks from I-5?

whats your address I'm leaving in 5 minutes!
Check me out on Youtube

#13 Wickbuddy

Wickbuddy

• Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 11:32 PM

Was anybody there? I drove up to fort warden walked the lap of bunkers and could find anybody.
Check me out on Youtube

#14 Gunther

Gunther

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 01:46 AM

Was anybody there? I drove up to fort warden walked the lap of bunkers and could find anybody.

Sorry you missed us. We were at Battery Benson from 9am until 5pm today (Sunday). Had a car out front and some signs posted at the battery at ground level. We had 13 attendees. Pretty good considering the recent weather. Pictures and videos will be up soon.

#15 GreenSpike

GreenSpike

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 01:08 AM

For being so few people, that game was really quite fun.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users