OMW Massacre AT Kit

An in depth look at their latest product

31 replies to this topic

#1 ThatBritishGuy

ThatBritishGuy

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 09:26 AM

After a particularly long war with friends, and moving down people close range with my Alpha Trooper, the plunger tube shattered (even though it was padded). I had probably only fired about 1000 shots through it, in comparison my longshot has probably had around 2.5k through it, so i was pretty disappointed in the workmanship, but that is Hasbro I suppose.

Anyway after a long wait look what arrived in the post today :D.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Orange Mod Works Alpha Trooper Massacre Kit - The Rifleman
Includes: Plunger assembly, 6kg spring, metal catch & trigger (because i pre-ordered), stickers, catch springs (2!), and destructions.

I'll now go through each piece in detail and then talk about my testing.

Posted ImagePosted Image
The Catch, trigger, and reinforcement plate are of extremely high quality. They are extremely durable with no flexing under any stress i can provide normally. The trigger has OMW logos on both sides and adds some nice weight to the blaster. The catch has none of the hollows of the standard catch and so i doubt it will be breaking. The springs that come with it are also longer and stronger than the original springs. The reinforcement plate is optional but i'm using it as i have the 6Kg spring currently installed.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
The bolt has a better grip on the dart than the stock model, with the ID comparable to 17/32 brass (or at least the brass i have). It has a slightly wider section near the front for easier loading, and yes it vacuum loads darts if you try. The front is made of fairly thin polycarb though so if you wanted to this is where you could crack it.
The rear of the plunger tube is thicker than stock, presumably to protect against the breakage that happened to my original kit.
The rear of the bolt has a smaller ID than stock to reduce deadspace and to stop the dart travelling all the way back into the plunger tube. There also is no AR (obviously) and the 17/32ish ID region is just longer than a streamling dart length.
All the bolt assembly is covered in OMW logos for those of you that like aesthetics.
If you are using the 6Kg spring, unfortunately some extra reinforcement is needed where the priming bar attaches to the bolt sled. I just slathered mine in gorilla glue and clamped it down for 2 hours so it had properly set, and I have had no problems so far.
In some blasters (mine included) you may need to add a 1/4 inch spacer at the back of the Plunger Tube as it wont travel far enough to catch as the priming rod will bend because of the 6Kg spring. I just used foam for this like normal PT padding.

Posted Image

EDIT: Ranges with stock streamlines seem to hover around the 65-70ft mark with some streamlines hitting 80. My hot glue streamlines with added weights hit consistent 80s.

Edited by ThatBritishGuy, 08 May 2012 - 11:56 AM.

My sales thread

Any Blaster mod or homemade that I post I can commission. Send me a PM on NerfHaven or BritNerf or email me by sam@lusher.org.uk

#2 BabyGandhi

BabyGandhi

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 01:13 PM

I'm having the same problem with my alpha trooper not priming. Did you have any trouble getting the screw for the priming bar to thread into the bolt sled?

#3 Andyb123

Andyb123

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 01:45 PM

This is a pretty good review, got the metal trigger too!
As for reloading trouble, I still need to pad the plunger, also I messed up the screw so I had to take an old wider headed screw and cut it down do that may help if your having problems.

#4 ThatBritishGuy

ThatBritishGuy

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 02:07 PM

I'm having the same problem with my alpha trooper not priming. Did you have any trouble getting the screw for the priming bar to thread into the bolt sled?

I ditched the screw for the bolt sled, i just covered it in Gorilla Glue - works like epoxy for me. You only need these reinforcements if your using the 6KG spring by the way.

This is a pretty good review, got the metal trigger too!
As for reloading trouble, I still need to pad the plunger, also I messed up the screw so I had to take an old wider headed screw and cut it down do that may help if your having problems.

Thanks! I didnt bother with the screw, like i said above. OMW themselves used a new screw with a larger head in their review video. I recommend epoxy or gorilla glue as reinforcement as well though.
My sales thread

Any Blaster mod or homemade that I post I can commission. Send me a PM on NerfHaven or BritNerf or email me by sam@lusher.org.uk

#5 Andyb123

Andyb123

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 03:42 PM

Yeah I'm re-enforcing the part of the bar in the pump handle like a lot of people do, only problem is I don't have any epoxy or I'd prefer aroldite. However im using a mix of Evo stick and PVA? No idea if it will work or not so hopefully I'll be able to prime normally soon.

#6 ZoMbIe HuNtEr

ZoMbIe HuNtEr

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 03:57 PM

Has anyone's plunger tube shattered? Also prior to that, my Alpha had terrible inconsistencies firing. It was ALWAYS jamming and no matter what i did to try to fix it, it never was able to get fixed. That is when my plunger tube shattered. I am thinking if omw sends me a new kit, I could ask them to send me a 5kg spring, but we will see what happens.
PHILIPPIANS 4:6
Check out my youtube channel for great reviews and modifications:
www.youtube.com/titanreceiver88
For even more detailed Nerf info, check out my blog
www.titanreceiver88.wordpress.com

#7 Griever 2112

Griever 2112

• Members
  • 439 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 04:05 PM

Are you referring to the OMW kits PT breaking or the Stock one... I've heard about stock ones going from time to time... but only rare occasions do I see someone claiming their Massacre PT breaking... but that could simply be a manufacturing flaw on that particular one. And from what I've seem OMW sends replacements for them. So as far as I can tell they stand behind their products.

Griever 2112 still plays with his alpha trooper quite often despite owning one of the scariest +bows.

My Youtube Page

#8 ThatBritishGuy

ThatBritishGuy

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 04:22 PM

Only my stock PT has broken and my massacre PT shows no signs of stress at all.
To test it I have probably fired 600-700 darts through it and there is no visible wear and tear.
Mine is padded with 1/4 inch of foam though to increase plunger travel so it will catch more consistently.

If anyone wants more Hi-res. pics of the kit just say and I will post them. I have access to a photography studio so it'll be easy.
My sales thread

#9 ZoMbIe HuNtEr

ZoMbIe HuNtEr

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 06:56 PM

Are you referring to the OMW kits PT breaking or the Stock one... I've heard about stock ones going from time to time... but only rare occasions do I see someone claiming their Massacre PT breaking... but that could simply be a manufacturing flaw on that particular one. And from what I've seem OMW sends replacements for them. So as far as I can tell they stand behind their products.

Well I am that one occasion, My pluger tube broke in half. I don't doubt they would send me another tube. Do you think I could get away with asking for a 5kg spring as well?

Only my stock PT has broken and my massacre PT shows no signs of stress at all.
To test it I have probably fired 600-700 darts through it and there is no visible wear and tear.
Mine is padded with 1/4 inch of foam though to increase plunger travel so it will catch more consistently.

If anyone wants more Hi-res. pics of the kit just say and I will post them. I have access to a photography studio so it'll be easy.

Yes I would love some pics. Padding has made the breech hard to navigate through the dart tooth and various others have reported broken dart tooths. I actually trimmed down the side nose of the breech to stop this, but I just keep running into more and more issues.

#10 RotS-Targe

RotS-Targe

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:20 PM

I don't understand why they sent 6kg springs with this set in the first place, when you look on the spring section of the store, they specifically recommend against using the 6 on the AT kits. I was unable to prime the AT with the 6 in, and I'll have the stock spring in until the 5kg arrives. I hope they will offer some explanation to their reasoning.

#11 magnum

magnum

• Banned
  • 24 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:17 PM

drac did something similar in his new video connecting the bar to the bolt sled but he used a screw. whcih would be better the screw or clamping it down with gorilla glue?

#12 Griever 2112

Griever 2112

• Members
  • 439 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:27 PM

According to Jun from OMW, in their videos they recommend reinforcing the priming bars, to eliminate "wiggle" room. Meaning that when the bars are connected normally the have some looseness to them, which combined with the added stress from the stronger spring, the wiggle can cause warping in the priming bar. solidifying the area eliminates the wiggle, and reinforces the sled that much more. Adding a filler of really anything is what they recommend, anything but crazy glue. I used hot glue in the Raider and had no problems. I believe he mentions on their installation video, epoxy putty, regular epoxy, hot glue. you can just epoxy it into place, but I would use the screw. It can't hurt, and better safe than sorry.

Edited by Griever 2112, 27 March 2012 - 09:29 PM.

Griever 2112 still plays with his alpha trooper quite often despite owning one of the scariest +bows.

My Youtube Page

#13 ThatBritishGuy

ThatBritishGuy

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 01:28 AM

A screw with the large head is the best option, as long as it is tight in the hole i.e. tap it first. Then it shouldn't move at all. I just went crazy because my screw selection is limited and Im using the 6kg for definite.
My sales thread

#14 Bchamp22795

Bchamp22795

• Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 09:54 AM

I don't understand why they sent 6kg springs with this set in the first place, when you look on the spring section of the store, they specifically recommend against using the 6 on the AT kits. I was unable to prime the AT with the 6 in, and I'll have the stock spring in until the 5kg arrives. I hope they will offer some explanation to their reasoning.

I asked them about it, and they said 6kg springs are too strong for the stock assembly and shattered it. They said the AT has weaker plastic than other blasters. With the massacre kit, 6kg is supposed to be alright.

#15 ZoMbIe HuNtEr

ZoMbIe HuNtEr

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 05:55 PM

I asked them about it, and they said 6kg springs are too strong for the stock assembly and shattered it. They said the AT has weaker plastic than other blasters. With the massacre kit, 6kg is supposed to be alright.

Yes, however with the 6kg spring, even with reinforcement there have been issues. These included people forcing through the dart tooth, or even broken plunger tubes such as mine. I ordered 3 5kg springs from them and they are replacing my breech and plunger tube. If all goes well, I will have a perfectly working alpha.

#16 Bchamp22795

Bchamp22795

• Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 06:15 PM

Yes, however with the 6kg spring, even with reinforcement there have been issues. These included people forcing through the dart tooth, or even broken plunger tubes such as mine. I ordered 3 5kg springs from them and they are replacing my breech and plunger tube. If all goes well, I will have a perfectly working alpha.

I am merely pointing out the reason their websites don't suggest the 6kg spring

#17 hamoidar

hamoidar

• Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 08:58 PM

What I don't get is why OMW went with the same, weak, plastic-saving design for the bolt. Why didn't they make it solid? If you are paying (a lot) of money for somthing, you should not have to modify it to get it to work.

Edited by hamoidar, 28 March 2012 - 08:58 PM.

NerfHaven > Your control panel > Profile > Change Signature > Inserts dumb sig > What! No pictures! > Inserts next best thing: http://nerfhaven.com...howuser=114052' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>Best thing on Nerfhaven!

#18 ThatBritishGuy

ThatBritishGuy

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 01:56 AM

They didn't, as I showed in the pictures above, they have greatly thickened all the plastic in the bolt so if it breaks it would have been a faulty product. Mine still hasnt broken after 600 shots of testing and a 4 hour HvZ game
My sales thread

#19 hamoidar

hamoidar

• Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 01:19 PM

They didn't, as I showed in the pictures above, they have greatly thickened all the plastic in the bolt so if it breaks it would have been a faulty product. Mine still hasnt broken after 600 shots of testing and a 4 hour HvZ game

I know it works, at least once you have modified it. What I mean is that you should not have to epoxy/screw the bolt to priming rod connection to get it to work. If OMWs are trying to sell these kits to people who don't want to mod the gun properly, then they should make them work without modification.
NerfHaven > Your control panel > Profile > Change Signature > Inserts dumb sig > What! No pictures! > Inserts next best thing: http://nerfhaven.com...howuser=114052' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>Best thing on Nerfhaven!

#20 ThatBritishGuy

ThatBritishGuy

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 01:30 PM

I know it works, at least once you have modified it. What I mean is that you should not have to epoxy/screw the bolt to priming rod connection to get it to work. If OMWs are trying to sell these kits to people who don't want to mod the gun properly, then they should make them work without modification.

That's a flaw in the Alpha Trooper design, not OMWs kit. The priming rod that attaches to the bolt sled has always been flimsy and had the possibility of breaking. If they had made a bolt sled with integrated priming bar (which would have been horrendously difficult) it may not have solved the problem as it is always going to be a weak point.
My sales thread

#21 Bchamp22795

Bchamp22795

• Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 02:04 PM

You have to cut OMW some slack. They love what they are doing, but its tough for them. I still don't understand how OMW is still in business. I love what they are doing, but I don't think their market is big enough. They sold almost 2000 massacre kits. Lets say they made $30 from each unit, price for each minus the material cost (overestimating). Then how about the prototypes, equipment, stock blasters for testing, darts, building utilities/rent/leasing, lets take away $10,000. Then they want to make some profit to keep for future R&D so they can grow their business. So lets take out another $5,000. That leaves them with $45,000. Split between 10 people, $4,500 a person for working for 5 months, over 40 hours a week. Not including taxes.

Even if you move some of the numbers around, or add in the less popular stage 1 kits, they still aren't getting much. Long story short, don't complain about prices or quality because they are under high stress right now to not go under as a company.

Maybe this isn't the right place to point this out, but I still think people should be aware.

#22 Griever 2112

Griever 2112

• Members
  • 439 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 02:37 PM

They went off the designs from the original bolt sleds, plungers and breeches, and did what they could to make the polycarb kits that much better. That wiggle room on the AT and Raider sleds are present in the original stock design, and unfortunately carried over. I'm sure if they could have fixed it 100% they would have. And besides, the fix isn't that complicated. You are not forced to manufacture a custom piece or spend tireless hours waiting for something to dry... the fix is as simple as some hot glue... you want super sturdy use epoxy putty... its less than 5 bucks for a tube and dries within a day (give or take) Plus if they did a integrated priming bar, what would happen to people who expoyed their bars into their priming handle. Or Maybe make a stronger priming bar, how would the stock shell be able to handle the thicker gauge wire? Would it fit?

Don't forget the release of these kits got pushed 2 months because of design flaws and reworks... I think they took into account everything feasible they could do.

My Youtube Page

#23 ZoMbIe HuNtEr

ZoMbIe HuNtEr

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 06:06 PM

You have to cut OMW some slack. They love what they are doing, but its tough for them. I still don't understand how OMW is still in business. I love what they are doing, but I don't think their market is big enough. They sold almost 2000 massacre kits. Lets say they made $30 from each unit, price for each minus the material cost (overestimating). Then how about the prototypes, equipment, stock blasters for testing, darts, building utilities/rent/leasing, lets take away $10,000. Then they want to make some profit to keep for future R&D so they can grow their business. So lets take out another $5,000. That leaves them with $45,000. Split between 10 people, $4,500 a person for working for 5 months, over 40 hours a week. Not including taxes.

Even if you move some of the numbers around, or add in the less popular stage 1 kits, they still aren't getting much. Long story short, don't complain about prices or quality because they are under high stress right now to not go under as a company.

Maybe this isn't the right place to point this out, but I still think people should be aware.

Its because all of the manufacturing is done over seas which is super cheap. Plus with all the orders of the Unleashed kits. Stage 1 and 2 recon, which was a pre order, massacre recon (preorder) massacres (pre order) and the immortal kit (pre order.) The rake in some serious cash. Not to mention all the seperate orders of springs, grease and o rings. I think they get a little more than 4500 every 5 months.

#24 MattTheSasquatch

MattTheSasquatch

• Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 06:21 PM

I'd cut OMW some slack. They didn't even have to make these parts at all. They could have just left us with the stock parts that the blasters come with. They took months to make these products for us and they're made very well. Later in the future they may make upgraded versions of the kits that have more powerful springs, maybe steel kits for all the blasters that they have kits for now. Maybe then they'll tweak some of the designs from the Massacre Line to improve. Apart from the Xplorer X-Power kit for the Longshot made by the Aussies (if i remember correctly), no single person or group has really attempted anything on this sort of caliber with great success. Not to mention that these kits can use stock darts. OMW took a big and dangerous dive into these projects, they probably had doubts that the kits would be feasible at one point or another, but yet they kept their heads up and made these wonderful new internals. I mean, they may not be one hundred percent perfect. They could probably still use a few improvements. But for what they are and the time spent, I say a great job well done to OMW.
You're never too old to play with Nerf Blasters.

#25 hamoidar

hamoidar

• Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 01:54 PM

That's a flaw in the Alpha Trooper design, not OMWs kit. The priming rod that attaches to the bolt sled has always been flimsy and had the possibility of breaking. If they had made a bolt sled with integrated priming bar (which would have been horrendously difficult) it may not have solved the problem as it is always going to be a weak point.

A flaw with the Alpha Trooper?? The gun workes great stock, and the priming rod is not flimsy and prone to breaking. It is the addition of this kit, with its too-powerful spring that is breaking the gun. The Alpha Trooper is not flawed. OMW should make a stronger priming rod that comes with the kit if they are going to sell it with the 6lb spring.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users