Photo

Please Stop the Insanity

It's like Endless September all over again...

45 replies to this topic

#26 DartGirl

DartGirl

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 10:40 PM

THE FNG's HATE YOU TO NO END!!!!!

Also I bet you would would cut a NF in half and say it shoots 1000000000 ft.

1. False Statement.
You(one singular FNG)Hate him.

2. Don't get your panties in a bunch just because he used a blanket reference for all FNGs. If his description of moronic retardation doesn't describe you then sucked it up and get on with your life.

3. Personally, I would say he's right, I have often found myself ashamed as of late that I came in with this batch of FNGs as the majority of them are squabbling idiots that haven't even bothered to read the CoC.

4. I find your contempt and disrespect for a modder that has, at some points, cranked out a new mod a day rather rude; Not to say Taer's the best, or even one of the greatest, but he's pretty damn good.

End Rant

Meanwhile, back on topic,

I like the idea of a quiz/essay entry requirement and I think it would be an effective way to chlorinate the gene pool of new members.

--DG
Altman Be Praised

#27 HasreadCoC

HasreadCoC

• Members
  • 274 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 07:46 AM

Maybe a simple couple of questions could be given to determine basic brian (<- *brain) ability. This would filter all FNG with brains out from all the other FNG. Just an idea for thought.

On topic, I wholeheartedly agree with the idea of a Code Of Conduct quiz.

My stance is ^this^

The problem with it, as I believe has been said before is \/this\/

The problem is, our mods don't have the time or ethic to make a system like this and run it.

Talio and VACC won't do it. Langley might have the tech-skills to do it, but I doubt he wants to put a huge amount of time into it. I think there was a discussion about this on NRev and the admins said it would be too difficult to implement there. Honestly, the only way I see it happening is if Langley were to have a tech-savvy member of the forum with nothing better to do volunteer to do the whole thing. Obviously this person would have to be well enough known that they could be trusted not to cause any trouble while setting such a thing up.

It seems like a great idea, but I just don't see it happening sadly. It's why I think we need we need 1 or 2 more admins selected from the more active and well respected members, but that's once again up to the admins to decide.

Edited by HasreadCoC, 24 October 2011 - 07:48 AM.

I'm the only respectable person here. The rest of the NIC are pretty much just child molesters.

AKA: ObiWonTwo on Nerfrevolution, and most of the rest of the internet for that matter.....

#28 pinhead52

pinhead52

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 10:46 AM

It doesn't have to be a technical solution. Don't we already make people send an e-mail or something to apply for membership? We could just include a little quiz as part of that; a few questions about the code of conduct, maybe grammar, on the page where you send the message. I think it would work more as a filter if it's something that newcomers would have the ability to skip anyway, that way before they are even an FNG their attention to detail has been tested.

The only downside is that it will mean more time Langley has to spend reading frustratingly poor writing, but he already knows this.

#29 canuck

canuck

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 12:32 PM

The only downside is that it will mean more time Langley has to spend reading frustratingly poor writing, but he already knows this.

You are completely right, and I think that everyone will agree that submitting applications would be too much of a burden on the Admins. Of course, there is the option of having a registration council of sorts. I recently relocated to Switzerland, where I am living as an expat. Switzerland is for the most part crime-free, and even the crime that does occur is mostly because of foreigners. Therefore, there are councils that review applications for people who wish to enter the country. These committees review and vote on applicants. Not every applicant makes the cut.

So too is it with Nerfhaven. If we wish to keep our high standards, the people that we let in must be high standard.

So what I am really trying to get at is that we should create a committee of people in good standing in the community who are charged with reviewing applications, voting on, and submitting on lists of applications to the mods for final approval.

This solves the problem of an influx of FNGs with the mental capacity of a snail, yet allowing people who will contribute to the forum to join us, whilst cutting down on work for the Admins and mods.

I appreciate any feedback on this.

Thanks,

Canuck
We don't have military tactics or specialized training. We're fucking kids playing with plastic guns trying to tag each other.
-nerfer9

#30 taerKitty

taerKitty

• Members
  • 883 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 04:07 PM

This won't help with the necro'ing or posting text-only posts on the Mod/PJ thread, but this looks promising:

How to keep the grammatically challenged off the Internet
Fugly is a feature.

#31 Jilliop

Jilliop

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 04:10 PM

I lurked here, saw what was going on, posted tentatively on the Facebook page, which is more relaxed, THEN applied here after becoming fairly well noted on the Facebook page. I have yet to read the CoC, but I understand it, as I basically live it. It's common sense and common courtesy. Even when I text, it's usually with proper grammar, spelling, and capitalization. There are ignorant people out there. So would it be difficult to put a counter on the CoC page and see which FNGs actually click it? I'm not too tech savvy, but it seems simple enough. Also, to Uranium234, stay calm, and we might take you seriously. Good job on the Nitefinder, but there are two ways to show us:

1. The way you did, swearing at us, which will get you virtually nowhere.

2. As proof, in a respectable manner, which could get you anywhere.

If you don't understand how to accomplish number two, then either read the CoC, or this is not the place for you.

#32 veto

veto

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 05:56 PM

This won't help with the necro'ing or posting text-only posts on the Mod/PJ thread, but this looks promising:

How to keep the grammatically challenged off the Internet

This may look good, but how hard is it to type the words into google or ask someone the correct use. Something of the sorts would be useful, but I think it should be leaned more towards the aspect of posting in a Nerf forum.

Edited by veto, 24 October 2011 - 05:57 PM.

#33 knexpert66

knexpert66

• Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 09:11 PM

I agree HIGHLY that some FNGs are irritating and retarded, but I say let there be retards, and let there be the ones that have a clue. If an FNG is being stupid, he's the one whos going to get banned. 95% of FNGs are stupid, but the other 5% are not.
Please, call me Busted.

#34 Exo

Exo

• Members
  • 391 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 11:16 AM

I LEARNED how to nerf here. I spent six months lurking, then I registered, but that was in August last year. I finally managed to get in, and I had a brilliant plan to succede. USE THE CHATROOM. For EVERYTHING. All of the thopics I start have something that I feel has been rarely done, like the ammo counter. I try not to post unless I fell that there is something worth saying. I think that maybe there should be some form of "background check" befor you can register. Like maybe the registerer having to join a less-serious site and prove that they can act human on that site. That would probably violate some sort of internet privacy law, but I think that NH noobs need to be higher-quality noobs.

#35 Daniel Beaver

Daniel Beaver

HQRSE CQCK

• Moderators
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 01:27 PM

USE THE CHATROOM. For EVERYTHING.

That's actually a good suggestion for the FNGs, especially those who don't have any mods or paintjobs to contribute yet. You can ask your noobish questions there without getting your head bitten off.

I wonder if it would be a good idea to post the mibbit irc link on the front page of Nerfhaven, or maybe even as a tab on the very top of the page?

I think that maybe there should be some form of "background check" befor you can register.

So what I am really trying to get at is that we should create a committee of people in good standing in the community who are charged with reviewing applications, voting on, and submitting on lists of applications to the mods for final approval.

These proposals are not realistic, as I don't think there is a practical way to pre-judge the desirability of a member. As annoying as it is to see low-quality posts, they are a very clear indicator of the relative worth of that member. The community can then mock the poor quality of the post, or a mod can ban particularly egregious offenders. While that seems like a lame solution, it has the advantage of being a real solution.

Edited by Daniel Beaver, 25 October 2011 - 01:34 PM.

#36 HasreadCoC

HasreadCoC

• Members
  • 274 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 02:52 PM

The community can then mock the poor quality of the post, or a mod can ban particularly egregious offenders. While that seems like a lame solution, it has the advantage of being a real solution.

Interestingly, mocking poor post quality is the only solution we have on the Facebook NERF page and we do fine. Some n00bish questions, but they are either answered and asked to use Google next time for such things, or are sent to the official Nerf page which is filled with all the annoying spammer kids. Kids who repeatedly post stupidly are met with hostility from the vast majority of regular posters, and as a result either shape up or leave. It's bee rather interesting to watch over the past year or two, as it has turned from an old dormant page to a fairly active community of regular and semi-regular members. Even our own Taer Kitty is part of it heh heh, and for the record on the page I'm "Obi", which is also my NRev name.

I guess what I'm getting at is that the reaction of the Nerfhaven community itself can be a powerful agent of change on n00bs, once they receive the reactions quite often they will either decide the group/site is "wasting their time / not worth it" or they will shape up. I know I personally have learned quite a lot from NH since 2 years ago when I was following youtube writeups on AR removal.

I'm the only respectable person here. The rest of the NIC are pretty much just child molesters.

AKA: ObiWonTwo on Nerfrevolution, and most of the rest of the internet for that matter.....

#37 taerKitty

taerKitty

• Members
  • 883 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 02:57 PM

The only problem with mocking a crappy poster is that it can be seen as BSMing (back seat moderating), with all the travel arrangements that come with such.
Fugly is a feature.

#38 Langley

Langley

LGLF - Since 2002

• Administrators
  • 2,997 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 05:07 PM

Every time there is a new batch of users coming in, everyone starts freaking out like it's the downfall of civilization. Usually the loudest squeals come from the lowest common denominator of the last wave of noobs. Each time the admin team deals with it, and life goes on. There are two important differences this time:

1. Aside from the little burst back in May, this site has been pretty much locked down for over a year, lulling everyone into a false sense of security. This is not a sustainable way to run a community. If you require people to write an essay and then wait for 9 months to join a site, the people you end up with aren't more intelligent or dedicated, they've just got more time on their hands. If you lock everyone out and throw away the key, the competent people get frustrated and leave, and the patients start running the asylum. We're not doing that anymore.

2. No more waves. The site used to be configured in such a way that hundreds of accounts were approved manually all at once, every couple of months. The new system allows a slow trickle of noobs, keeping them from flooding the site, and giving each one just enough rope to hang themselves with.

The upshot to all of this is that the site nearly runs itself now. We've had over 700 new members since the hack, and not one of them has been a spambot or an outright troll. For the most part, bullshit posts get reported and the posters are dealt with. Best of all (imho), we don't get the dildonic resonance of dozens of noobs simultaneously reinforcing each other's retarded behavior. All in all, I imagine things are easier to deal with now than ever before. However, I understand that there's plenty of room for improvement, and you can expect to see some changes in the near future.

So, to sum up:

You can poop in my toilet anytime champ.

2016 Nerf War Schedule
Bless you, my son. Now recite 3 New Members Guides and 5 Code of Conducts for your sins.

#39 HasreadCoC

HasreadCoC

• Members
  • 274 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 06:01 PM

And the sudden appearance of the "warn status"? Any comment on that?

#40 Langley

Langley

LGLF - Since 2002

• Administrators
  • 2,997 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 06:54 PM

And the sudden appearance of the "warn status"? Any comment on that?

If that progress bar goes up, you're doing something wrong. You'll know it when you see it.

2016 Nerf War Schedule
Bless you, my son. Now recite 3 New Members Guides and 5 Code of Conducts for your sins.

#41 evilbunnyo

evilbunnyo

• Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 08:16 PM

If that progress bar goes up, you're doing something wrong. You'll know it when you see it.

Finally I was wondering when you, Vacc or Talio was gonna swoop in.

So with this bar if it gets to high do we get banned or suspended? Oh and I haven't seen it yet so I guess that's good right?
Silence is golden but duct tape is silver

#42 Langley

Langley

LGLF - Since 2002

• Administrators
  • 2,997 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 08:22 AM

Finally I was wondering when you, Vacc or Talio was gonna swoop in.

So with this bar if it gets to high do we get banned or suspended? Oh and I haven't seen it yet so I guess that's good right?

You should be able to see your own warning level, on you profile and next to your posts.

I can't speak for Vacc or Talio, but I usually try to warn someone via PM if they commit some minor offense or are in a grey area as far as the rules. The warning system just gives us a way to track those warnings, and share them with the other admins. So now, when I say 'this is your first strike' or 'your last warning' I don't have to remember your username if you fuck up again, I can just glance at your warn history to see if our rules are sinking in. Nothing magical happens when the progress bar fills up, in fact I don't expect anyone to make it all the way to full before getting banned or suspended first.

2016 Nerf War Schedule

#43 evilbunnyo

evilbunnyo

• Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 01:07 PM

All right that makes sense. Thanks this will make life easier for the forums at least.
Silence is golden but duct tape is silver

#44 Juggernaut

Juggernaut

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 12:40 AM

I have an Idea just shut down the site to new members period! God some of you guys are so Self-righteous For Fuck Sake get over your selfs If you wanted this site to just to be your Older guys password lock this site. You guys are complaining about one or two post by an FNG. You have to realize this is not just for you fucking oldies when enough is enough. Insanity is what your proposing. Segregate all the people who decide to say "lol" or "sup" is just fucking beyond ridiculous. God this site is already on lock down. Like you tell the FNG same to you guys don't care if you have an 1000 post count there other Nerf Forums you can go on. Now be grateful you got this much screening for the registration process and post something useful. God Damn I understand you want to keep away noobs but these suggestions are unrealistic and just fucking ridiculous.

Edited by Juggernaut, 10 November 2011 - 12:43 AM.

#45 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 08:16 AM

I'm not reading this whole thread because....I don't want to. Phil has hit all the points worth hitting, so I'll just nod my head and reinforce his points.

This complaint has arisen, without exception, every time we've opened the gates for the last 8+ years (9 in January). Yes, right now our moderation team is a bit short handed, and Phil is doing almost everything, but that happens every fall and winter when I find it too cold to nerf and leave you jerks to your own devices. This time at least you're chaperoned.

So, in terrible summary, shit be fine, chill out brah'.

All posts in this thread, from this point forward, must be in iambic pentameter.

And if you disobey you will be banned.

#46 Carbon

Carbon

Contriberator

• Moderators
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 09:42 AM

The NIC has nothing for to fear
When mods like these are daily on the job
It’s VACC and Langley kicking n00bie rear
And bringing order to the noisy mob

And as for us: don't backseat moderate
That’s not a job that’s been left up to you
Let mods send FNGs off to their fate
And click “report”: it’s all you have to do

The madding crowd of n00bs will soon die down
And those that are the best, they will remain
So wait a while, and please try not to frown
Although some FNGs do earn disdain

And now, in case you think I’m getting soft
Please go Nerf on…if not, then please fuck off
Hello. I am Indigo of the Rainbow Clan. You Nerfed my father. Prepare to die.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users