Return of Johnny Chan

130 replies to this topic

#51 Daniel Beaver

Daniel Beaver

HQRSE CQCK

• Moderators
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 05:21 PM

Well, I just asked my boss about getting this weekend off and he flat out laughed at me. Said I should just re-schedule whatever I had going on because the chance of being able to have that weekend off was in the fraction of a percent range. It looks like I'm getting screwed out of this one at the moment guys. I will be attempting to assemble people to cover my shifts though it looks grim.

Tell him you have a job interview.

Edited by Daniel Beaver, 09 May 2012 - 05:24 PM.

#52 Ice Nine

Ice Nine

Prince Dangus

• Administrators
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 06:46 PM

As far as blaster bans, Kane got a chrono and I think we'll be banning stuff off of that. Still have to play around with it and see what will be an acceptable measurement.

Correct me if I'm wrong, Ryan or anyone who was there the last time we had chrono access, but the +bow was shooting slugs at around 220fps, right? And PACs at about 200fps? Up to calibration, we should probably use the +bow as a sort maximum, considering how incredibly overkill the air volume and spring in the +bow is nowadays.

Darn. Looks like my 700fps Big Blast won't be allowed. That's not fair, you guys. Not fair to me at all.

PS. This war is looking like Bonertown over here. Now all we need to get is Split!!!!!!

Edited by Ice Nine, 09 May 2012 - 06:47 PM.

Unholy Three: DUPLUM SCRTA, DUPLUM PROBLEMA (2009)

But Zeke guns tend to be like proofs by contradiction

Theoretically solid but actually non-constructive

Rnbw Cln

#53 KaneTheMediocre

KaneTheMediocre

Belligerent Asshole

• Members
  • 613 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 11:03 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, Ryan or anyone who was there the last time we had chrono access, but the +bow was shooting slugs at around 220fps, right? And PACs at about 200fps? Up to calibration, we should probably use the +bow as a sort maximum, considering how incredibly overkill the air volume and spring in the +bow is nowadays.

Darn. Looks like my 700fps Big Blast won't be allowed. That's not fair, you guys. Not fair to me at all.

PS. This war is looking like Bonertown over here. Now all we need to get is Split!!!!!!

The exact muzzle velocity depends on barrel setup as well. 200 fps will likely be the maximum, so +bows (and PACs) will need shorter barrels to reduce their power.
RAINBOW CLAN FTW
I'm Purple

My Half-Baked MHA Site

#54 Daniel Beaver

Daniel Beaver

HQRSE CQCK

• Moderators
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 11:40 PM

I would support a 200fps cap - that's right around the century mark, and a it should be pretty easy to hit that with a +bow if you throw in a [k25] and shorten the barrel. No one can bitch about getting dominated by powerful blasters. Whatever you decide, please lock it in soonish. I need to build and ship my blaster
well before the war, and I want to dial in it's power level right up to the maximum allowed ;)

#55 Ambience 327

Ambience 327

• Members
  • 561 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 05:49 AM

Don't worry Beaver - if the blasters you bring are all too powerful, you can just borrow one of my Mavericks or my NB-1. :lol:
Foam in the Fort IV
The fourth exciting Nerf War in Fort Wayne, IN.

#56 Langley

Langley

LGLF - Since 2002

• Administrators
  • 2,997 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 09:44 AM

The exact muzzle velocity depends on barrel setup as well. 200 fps will likely be the maximum, so +bows (and PACs) will need shorter barrels to reduce their power.

This is getting silly. There have been enough arbitrary restrictions already. Chops is the only one who uses airguns in our group and he's staying home, so this should be a complete non-issue. We're going to drive 800 miles with four people in a tiny car, and we're going to use the springer primaries and barrels we bring with us. Any springer based on a standard design firing #6 slugs out of a hopper should be fine.

You can poop in my toilet anytime champ.

2016 Nerf War Schedule
Bless you, my son. Now recite 3 New Members Guides and 5 Code of Conducts for your sins.

#57 Daniel Beaver

Daniel Beaver

HQRSE CQCK

• Moderators
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 10:00 AM

This is getting silly. There have been enough arbitrary restrictions already. Chops is the only one who uses airguns in our group and he's staying home, so this should be a complete non-issue. We're going to drive 800 miles with four people in a tiny car, and we're going to use the springer primaries and barrels we bring with us. Any springer based on a standard design firing #6 slugs out of a hopper should be fine.

(My secret agenda is to let Kane find out on his own that testing everyone's blasters is an unworkable strategy for rule enforcement)

#58 Carbon

Carbon

Contriberator

• Moderators
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 10:29 AM

Well, I just asked my boss about getting this weekend off and he flat out laughed at me. Said I should just re-schedule whatever I had going on because the chance of being able to have that weekend off was in the fraction of a percent range. It looks like I'm getting screwed out of this one at the moment guys. I will be attempting to assemble people to cover my shifts though it looks grim.

Tell him you have an important meeting with the Rainbow Clan. Then, when he's doubled over laughing, kick him in the shins and run away.
Hello. I am Indigo of the Rainbow Clan. You Nerfed my father. Prepare to die.

#59 Langley

Langley

LGLF - Since 2002

• Administrators
  • 2,997 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 11:17 AM

(My secret agenda is to let Kane find out on his own that testing everyone's blasters is an unworkable strategy for rule enforcement)

I retract my earlier statement. We will happily comply with any rules you set before us. (::SECRET FRIEND WINK::)

You can poop in my toilet anytime champ.

2016 Nerf War Schedule
Bless you, my son. Now recite 3 New Members Guides and 5 Code of Conducts for your sins.

#60 SomethingNerfey

SomethingNerfey

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 03:13 PM

I'm a high likely to be there.

#61 KaneTheMediocre

KaneTheMediocre

Belligerent Asshole

• Members
  • 613 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 04:37 PM

This is the least arbitrary restriction on nerf guns to be allowed at a war, ever. That is not hyperbole. Literally every weapon restriction ever created for a nerf war, in all the history of nerf wars, is more arbitrary than measuring muzzle velocity with uniform dart weight. Furthermore, it REPLACES the arbitrary restrictions on blaster power that we would have needed without this rule.

Admittedly, one could argue that the choice of 200fps is arbitrary, and you would be correct. There's no magic muzzle energy under which all safety concerns disappear, and our hobby becomes accessible to all people. 200 fps is just a nice round number that's slightly under the power of the average +bow, which I have always believed to be slightly too powerful.

PS: There are going to be people at the war other than the LGLF, so Chops not coming with his airguns isn't particularly relevant.

I'm aware that it's not practical to test every single blaster before the war, but that's not really necessary. Just making it available will allow those with high powered blasters to check, and many others will be fine observing that a blaster with greater range than theirs passes the test.

This of course leaves open the possibility of deliberate neglect, so I was planning to establish a procedure by which a nerfer could challenge anothers blaster after seeing it perform at the war. Blasters slightly above the threshhold will be banned thereafter, and blasters "significantly" above the threshhold will be run over with Ryan's car, unless a heavier vehicle is available.

My original plan was to define "significantly" above the threshhold as 250 fps, but after seeing the hostility towards having an empirical method for blaster bans, I'm thinking something more like 225 fps would be wise. All of these numbers are subject to change for the few days as we do more thorough testing.
RAINBOW CLAN FTW
I'm Purple

My Half-Baked MHA Site

#62 Noodleownz

Noodleownz

Self-Fondler

• Members
  • 510 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 07:36 PM

I won't be able to make it, unfortunately.
It's Nerf or Nothin'!

#63 Ice Nine

Ice Nine

Prince Dangus

• Administrators
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 09:10 PM

Admittedly, one could argue that the choice of 200fps is arbitrary, and you would be correct.

PS: There are going to be people at the war other than the LGLF, so Chops not coming with his airguns isn't particularly relevant.

My original plan was to define "significantly" above the threshhold as 250 fps, but after seeing the hostility towards having an empirical method for blaster bans, I'm thinking something more like 225 fps would be wise. All of these numbers are subject to change for the few days as we do more thorough testing.

This is what he was referring to. Also I'm of the opinion that your posturing is a little ridiculous because I think that of all attendees to this war only you (and associates) and Beaver will have access to a chrono before the Friday before the war. Are you hoping that they'll have a +bow handy and just say "my planned primary seems to be shooting like a slightly detuned +bow, and hence, is ideal?"

There are going to be other people but the war was not organized primarily for them, nor are they driving for fourteen hours to get there.

Are you going to be putting out a set of testing barrels and darts to make sure everyone is firing uniformly, too, or are you going to trust us enough to use whatever barrels and darts we walk up with (provided that the darts are also within legal limits)? It sounds to me like the dong that's constantly up your butt has more than tripled in size recently.

PS. This:

Posted Image

JERKOFF LOGO.

-- Bathrooms require a short drive to a nearby gas station (or a really long walk)

Or pee in the bushes.

Edited by Ice Nine, 10 May 2012 - 10:35 PM.

Rnbw Cln

#64 SonReeceSonJensen

SonReeceSonJensen

• Members
  • 662 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 09:27 PM

...yeah, nothing to add about blaster restrictions.

BUT, I'm in full compliance with the dart regs and am taking orders: $10 for 100. Pick-up and payment at the war.

Posted Image
The Difference:
-Guns shoot bullets that kill people
-Blasters shoot darts that tag people

I do not play with guns.

#65 louiec3

louiec3

• Members
  • 316 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 09:42 PM

This is in the middle of nowhere. What are the plans for parking, bathrooms, and water?

Right now it looks like I should be able to attend.

#66 Demon Lord

Demon Lord

• Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 10:17 PM

If its anything like the last war there:
-- Bring your own food and hydration, there is stuff nearby but its a bit of a drive
-- Parking is along the nice wide shoulder of the road on both sides of the road
-- Bathrooms require a short drive to a nearby gas station (or a really long walk)

Be sure to bring the rest of the Wisconsin crew Louiec3
QUOTE(VACC @ Mar 7 2011, 09:03 AM) View Post

Don't worry so much about what other people will allow. Throw your own wars and kick your friends' asses until they all want one.

#67 KaneTheMediocre

KaneTheMediocre

Belligerent Asshole

• Members
  • 613 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 12:24 AM

This is what he was referring to. Also I'm of the opinion that your posturing is a little ridiculous because I think that of all attendees to this war only you (and associates) and Beaver will have access to a chrono before the Friday before the war. Are you hoping that they'll have a +bow handy and just say "my planned primary seems to be shooting like a slightly detuned +bow, and hence, is ideal?"

There are going to be other people but the war was not organized primarily for them, nor are they driving for fourteen hours to get there.

Are you going to be putting out a set of testing barrels and darts to make sure everyone is firing uniformly, too, or are you going to trust us enough to use whatever barrels and darts we walk up with (provided that the darts are also within legal limits)? It sounds to me like the dong that's constantly up your butt has more than tripled in size recently

I will have PVC clippers available to those who need to shorten their barrels. This solves the first problem you mentioned. As to using the same barrels for testing as in the war, it is in their interest to be honest about this if they don't want their blaster to be run over by Ryan's car.

I'm not sure what you were trying to say about the LGLF in the middle there, so I will ignore it.

Furthermore, I paid about $100 for the chrono because I know it's the only consistent way to regulate blaster power. All attendees are equally capable of making this purchase, but I am providing them the use of my chrono at the war should they be unwilling to spend the $$ (Which is completely understandable). I know it's terribly unfair of me to create a sane standard of safety when you all are not used to such regulation. Truthfully, if I was to be entirely reasonable, I would also ban ammunition with metal and hard plastic, but I do understand that no one (other than myself and maybe 4 people) has ever bothered to make hopperable ammo safe. So I'm already going beyond my comfort zone to accommodate the ruinous bullshit that the online nerf community takes for granted. If I were able to provide safe ammo for everyone, I WOULD insist upon it, but that's highly unlikely at this point.

Also, what Demon Lord said. I'd like to arrange for some sort of on-site BBQ or picnic, as this would make lunch less disruptive, but have not yet made such plans. There are some shrubs in the back of the property which could serve males to void their bladders, but you would be well served to void your bowels prior to attending the war. White castle works very well for this.
RAINBOW CLAN FTW
I'm Purple

My Half-Baked MHA Site

#68 CaliforniaPants

CaliforniaPants

Futtbrustrated

• Moderators
  • 459 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 12:39 AM

YA'LL ARE DUMB
JUST SHOOT AT EACH OTHER
IF IT SHOOTS TOO FAR USE A DIFFERENT GUN

trans as shit because fuck you

#69 Ambience 327

Ambience 327

• Members
  • 561 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 08:33 AM

I have never met a Nerfer more interested in making sure EVERYONE has fun than Kane. Any restrictions or considerations he asks us to abide by, I will do so gladly. Just tossing that out there.
Foam in the Fort IV
The fourth exciting Nerf War in Fort Wayne, IN.

#70 Muttonchops

Muttonchops

1.21 Muttonflops

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 09:18 AM

Dicks Dicks Dicks Dicks

Dicks Dicks Dicks Truthfully, if I was to be entirely reasonable, I would also ban ammunition with metal and hard plastic, but I do understand that no one (other than myself and maybe 4 people) has ever bothered to make hopperable ammo safe. So I'm already going beyond my comfort zone to accommodate the ruinous bullshit that the online nerf community takes for granted. Uberdicks Bullshit Dicks Dicks Dicks Dicks Dicks

Gobble Gobble Gobble (And I'm not making turkey sounds people)

Sorry guys, I wont be able to make it, hope everyone has a fun and safe war!
The LGLF - The ass-kickingest, arm-missingest, beer-drinkingest nerf clan in Jersey

21:45 Gears That's boob grabbing time
21:45 Gears it is so easy

#71 SomethingNerfey

SomethingNerfey

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 06:43 PM

I'm for sure going now. I feel it's okay to post this here, if anyone wants to bring hornet/magstrike/whatever pumps to the war (2 or 3), I'd buy them. And if anyone has U-cup or skirt seals for 1 1/4" PVC, I'd buy a couple. If there is even a demand for those rifled barrels that were discussed on Nerfrevolution and those Clear-x Lanard TripleShots, I have 4 NIB TripleShots and 10 rifled barrels for sale at the war. The barrels are ~21 inches long. They are blue, green, and pink. I'll have other stuff for sale, too.

Here is one(not my picture).
Posted Image

Edited by SomethingNerfey, 17 May 2012 - 04:56 PM.

#72 VelveetaAvenger

VelveetaAvenger

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 09:18 AM

but you would be well served to void your bowels prior to attending the war. White castle works very well for this.

Just to clarify, do not eat at the White Castle while stopping to void your bowels. The chances that a secondary, more inconvenient voiding will occur before lunchtime are high.
"I never saw Beastmaster, I just wanted to be cool..."

#73 KaneTheMediocre

KaneTheMediocre

Belligerent Asshole

• Members
  • 613 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 10:22 PM

Having thoroughly tested the Chrony under a variety of conditions, I have seen no indication that shooting #6 slugs 200 fps is an unreasonable threshhold for dart energy. I have also concluded that the Chrony has all the accuracy and precision of a magic 8 ball, but without the reliability. So, barring another mechanism for measuring dart energy (I'm interested in trying things), I cannot enforce this with any accuracy. It's extremely unlikely that I will construct something of the sort in the next two weeks, so we will be using the universally accepted standard of guessing what is and isn't overpowered. Obviously I cannot be as strict with this as I would be with a Chrony, but don't go out of your way to get the absolute max power out of already high-powered blasters.

On an unrelated note, I have a lot of stock darts:
Posted Image

In order to encourage people to use make use of these and to balance in favor of the stock-ish nerf guns, Ryan and I have discussed creating an alternate, closer-to-the-objective spawn for those using stock dart weapons. I'd probably ask anyone with particularly sweet guns for stock ammo to use the far spawn, but since stock darts so vastly underperform slugs and their ilk this will probably not be an issue. This seems like a no-brainer game-balance to me, but we've never tried it before, and welcome feedback before and after the war.
RAINBOW CLAN FTW
I'm Purple

My Half-Baked MHA Site

#74 Ice Nine

Ice Nine

Prince Dangus

• Administrators
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 01:30 PM

Cheerios, Kane, and I spent all of yesterday making the war site significantly better. We're all ruined forever now, though.

Edited by Ice Nine, 20 May 2012 - 01:31 PM.

Rnbw Cln

#75 BabyGandhi

BabyGandhi

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 01:33 PM

Just to keep the list up to date. I'm carpooling with Ambience 327 and we are each bring 1 guest.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users