Return of Johnny Chan

130 replies to this topic

#26 Langley

Langley

LGLF - Since 2002

• Administrators
  • 2,997 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 03:30 PM

I haven't been in favor of shields or melee ever but no one really uses it out here and I don't think you really need to worry about it effecting gameplay significantly. Big ammo (anything bigger than a mega), will destroy shields. People generally just get ruined who use melee and I really don't have any remorse for people bringing a sword to a gun fight. Most people will be using modern nerf stuff, but if they have incredibly weaksauce stuff, a shield can be appropriate.

So we're pretty much on the same page then. From the original post, I thought melee was a bigger deal (or becoming a bigger deal) in your area.

It looks like we're going to try and drive out over Thursday night and Friday, so we'll probably roll in late afternoon or early evening on Friday. We would need to hit the road Sunday around noon, but could possibly stay later if we're going to take shifts going back again. Could possibly have a convoy with the Sex Dwarves if we get the timing right.

You can poop in my toilet anytime champ.

2016 Nerf War Schedule
Bless you, my son. Now recite 3 New Members Guides and 5 Code of Conducts for your sins.

#27 RFox

RFox

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 12:53 PM

I'm a solid maybe. I'll try to bring s few with me too.

#28 KaneTheMediocre

KaneTheMediocre

Belligerent Asshole

• Members
  • 613 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 05:11 PM

Me+2 as a maybe.
Will you be selling pink foam there? Or better yet, your awesome check valve plunger heads?

Definitely not foam. Possibly darts, but that is really not likely. If you're serious about making some metal-free darts with the foam, we MIGHT be able to work something out where I'd sell you a kit that includes some other needed supplies and tooling.

I didn't know that anyone other than us thought that check-valve plunger heads were awesome. I'd hook you up if I didn't expect to be so busy with darts.

Can't say I'm enthused about melee and shields. Shields/melee is to Langley as Deathmatch is to KaneTheMediocre. I would prefer that it be limited to a few rounds if we're going to do it at all, with very specific rules regarding what is allowed and how it can be used. I'm not driving halfway across the country with a trunk full of foam sticks just to have it all banned when I arrive.

As Ryan said, shield / melee is not widely used, and doesn't have a big impact on gameplay. It is literally bringing a knife to a gunfight. Big shields (which, for some values of big, would be allowed with melee) help a lot, but remember that large ammo counts as a kill if it hits a shield or melee weapon. I've generally played that all large ammo is considered throwable, so even if you're not carrying a weapon that can shoot the large ammo, you can just throw a ball or rocket at the guy when he gets close.

As long as your swords and shields are padded and relatively lightweight (Plain cardboard is fine for shields), I don't expect anything would get banned outright. That said, if you have a 2' x 4' shield, I probably will say that you aren't allowed to carry a weapon. And if you have a 6' long sword, don't expect to carry a blaster or a shield. Even more ridiculous stuff could be accommodated with special rules.

Also with regards to barrel tapping, I thought that we could allow something similar that did not involve treating blasters as melee weapons. If a person puts there hand on a part of a persons body that will not get them sued or arrested, and fires a dart into the ground while their hand is on the opponent, that could count as a hit without any of the usual safety and game balance problems from barrel tapping.
RAINBOW CLAN FTW
I'm Purple

My Half-Baked MHA Site

#29 ACE11

ACE11

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:40 PM

I'm fo sho now. Also, Kane, I will definitely buy a PANS kit, how much do you think it might be? If you got any extra of those plunger head seals, I'll buy two, assuming they're still u-cup seals? More also, MEGAHAMP's are allowed, correct? I made one of them, and hope to finish my compensator.

Edited by ACE11, 27 April 2012 - 08:41 PM.

Forsakenangel: Wow, 7 posts and only 2 of them have to do with the topic.
Go Nerfhaven!
Langley: I'm sorry we went off topic in your thread about exploding Easter bunnies. We'll try to do better next time.

#30 snickers

snickers

• Members
  • 241 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:20 PM

I'm fo sho now. Also, Kane, I will definitely buy a PANS kit, how much do you think it might be? If you got any extra of those plunger head seals, I'll buy two, assuming they're still u-cup seals? More also, MEGAHAMP's are allowed, correct? I made one of them, and hope to finish my compensator.

You should try and make some first =) Very challenging, after 400 or so, you get the hang of it. Does it take 1 full week to dry? I have some that I dissected, and I think they are dry. It has been 3 days since I constructed them. If you are willing to sell kits to metal free dart makers who ARE ACTUALLY SERIOUS about them, I'm in. What would the kit include?

Edited by snickers, 27 April 2012 - 10:23 PM.

#31 KaneTheMediocre

KaneTheMediocre

Belligerent Asshole

• Members
  • 613 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 10:42 AM

You should try and make some first =) Very challenging, after 400 or so, you get the hang of it. Does it take 1 full week to dry? I have some that I dissected, and I think they are dry. It has been 3 days since I constructed them. If you are willing to sell kits to metal free dart makers who ARE ACTUALLY SERIOUS about them, I'm in. What would the kit include?

Getting OT here, so future inquiries should just PM me.

I expect that the kit would include the following tooling

a jig for drilling blanks
brad-pointed drill bit with appropriately placed stop
felt cutting tool for 7/16" discs (Will require drill press or hammer)
a dart-holding jig (board with holes in it)
Caulk gun
Blank-cutter and razor

and the following materials

foam
felt sheet (1/8" MC extra-soft unless otherwise requested)
Polyurethane goo cartridge (Unless other goo is requested)

Like before when I insisted on including felt dots with my foam, the idea here is to make it economical to buy this if you're actually going to make VANS, but very much overpriced otherwise. A 1000 dart kit would be the smallest I'd be willing to sell, and would probably cost close to $100 (I have to check prices, and figure out how much labor it really is to make all the tooling). Someone who bought the kit, and proved themselves to actually use all of the materials to make VANS would be eligible to buy materials without any tooling (At a much better price of course) If you have alternative materials/methods that you want to try, I'm open to substitutions, but I make no guarantees.

Also, most of these moisture curing goos will be 90% cured within a day, but the last 10% takes a long time. I don't want to use my darts until they are fully cured, but they will certainly survive being fired after a day or two.

Also,

What to bring:
-Proper attire. Nothing too crazy.

I, for one, welcome crazy.

Edited by KaneTheMediocre, 28 April 2012 - 10:30 PM.

RAINBOW CLAN FTW
I'm Purple

My Half-Baked MHA Site

#32 Ice Nine

Ice Nine

Prince Dangus

• Administrators
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 06:11 PM

I, for one, welcome crazy.

That's not a good idea, Kane. I can't imagine you'd enjoy the U3 showing up in full assless-chaps regalia. Would you?

I sincerely hope we have good documentation of this war. I'm going to do my best to take shitty video and not edit it before posting it, and it deserves better than that.

Unholy Three: DUPLUM SCRTA, DUPLUM PROBLEMA (2009)

But Zeke guns tend to be like proofs by contradiction

Theoretically solid but actually non-constructive

Rnbw Cln

#33 BabyGandhi

BabyGandhi

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 06:18 PM

I'm planning to attend. I'll be bringing at least one other, but I'm pretty sure well fill the car.

#34 AcepilotZero

AcepilotZero

Scoggins

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 08:51 PM

Put me down as a maybe+1.
Lord of the flywheels.

#35 Carbon

Carbon

Contriberator

• Moderators
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 09:40 PM

Holy shit...Cataclysm, and it's on a weekend I can make it. I'm in.
Hello. I am Indigo of the Rainbow Clan. You Nerfed my father. Prepare to die.

#36 Langley

Langley

LGLF - Since 2002

• Administrators
  • 2,997 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 10:34 PM

Holy shit...Cataclysm, and it's on a weekend I can make it. I'm in.

I'm not gonna lie, I just peed a little.

2016 Nerf War Schedule
Bless you, my son. Now recite 3 New Members Guides and 5 Code of Conducts for your sins.

#37 Daniel Beaver

Daniel Beaver

HQRSE CQCK

• Moderators
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 11:01 PM

OOOOSHHIIIITTTTTTT

If we can get fuckin Stark to stop being lame and ride down, we would be able to assemble the Rainbow Clan in one place for the first time.

#38 Carbon

Carbon

Contriberator

• Moderators
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 11:07 PM

It must be made to happen...I would put rainbow stripes on the SNAP/Revolution for that event.

Hell, I'll probably do that anyway, but it'd still be cool.

And it would serve as waterproofing in case Langley pees on me.

#39 Stark

Stark

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 11:24 PM

Rainbow clan assemble! I'm in.
"Road trip." -Atomatron

BITCHES GO CRAZY FOR RAINBOWS

#40 Demon Lord

Demon Lord

• Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 02:02 AM

So far we have Illinois, Wisconsin and California and Jersey natives attending. This is going to be Effeminate.
QUOTE(VACC @ Mar 7 2011, 09:03 AM) View Post

Don't worry so much about what other people will allow. Throw your own wars and kick your friends' asses until they all want one.

#41 Ambience 327

Ambience 327

• Members
  • 561 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 06:22 AM

I am trying to figure out how to get gas money. If that happens, and I convince the wife to let me out of the house, I will be there.

I will also see if I can drag any of my friends and family along for the ride. :lol:
Foam in the Fort IV
The fourth exciting Nerf War in Fort Wayne, IN.

#42 Langley

Langley

LGLF - Since 2002

• Administrators
  • 2,997 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 08:01 AM

So far we have Illinois, Wisconsin and California and Jersey natives attending. This is going to be Effeminate.

You left out CT, PA, and possibly DC metro. I've got JLego, Gears, and possibly Crankymonky coming.

2016 Nerf War Schedule

#43 Carbon

Carbon

Contriberator

• Moderators
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 08:29 AM

So far we have Illinois, Wisconsin and California and Jersey natives attending.

You left out CT, PA, and possibly DC metro.

And a single tear rolls down the cheek of all the Nerfers from Minnesota...

#44 Daniel Beaver

Daniel Beaver

HQRSE CQCK

• Moderators
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 08:32 AM

Not to mention Puerto Rican nerfers.

YA DUN GOOFD TIM

Edited by Daniel Beaver, 08 May 2012 - 09:38 AM.

#45 Demon Lord

Demon Lord

• Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 01:20 PM

Ok, so I need to stop making posts at 3 AM. My bad, we've got people from all over the US, either way this will be great.
QUOTE(VACC @ Mar 7 2011, 09:03 AM) View Post

Don't worry so much about what other people will allow. Throw your own wars and kick your friends' asses until they all want one.

#46 Buffdaddy

Buffdaddy

Do not buy from this member

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 824 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 05:10 PM

Actually a maybe now; would be nice to be in Chicago again!

Question about blaster tolerances: for my airguns (aka stock 4B), I've shifted to only using large stefans, on the order of 3/4" or 1" foam, the past few months. Would something like this be acceptable?

#47 oatmeal

oatmeal

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 07:22 AM

Put me down as a maybe. I don't know if i want to take the 4 hour trip......

'Tis but a scratch!

#48 Ryan201821

Ryan201821

Prince Edward

• Contributors
  • 1,892 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 02:09 PM

Rainbow Clan assemble!

Glad we got Stark and Carbon in on this. Fuck yeah labia faces.

As far as blaster bans, Kane got a chrono and I think we'll be banning stuff off of that. Still have to play around with it and see what will be an acceptable measurement.

#49 Funky Mutha Facko

Funky Mutha Facko

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 04:06 PM

I'm coming with my old lady. It just seems to Effeminate to pass up.

Nevermind, my work wont let me off on memorial day weekend.

Edited by Funky Mutha Facko, 17 May 2012 - 10:01 AM.

HARDCORE NERF!

#50 Stark

Stark

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 05:12 PM

Well, I just asked my boss about getting this weekend off and he flat out laughed at me. Said I should just re-schedule whatever I had going on because the chance of being able to have that weekend off was in the fraction of a percent range. It looks like I'm getting screwed out of this one at the moment guys. I will be attempting to assemble people to cover my shifts though it looks grim.
"Road trip." -Atomatron

BITCHES GO CRAZY FOR RAINBOWS

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users