Longshot Modification.

An Angel production.

147 replies to this topic

#51 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 08:47 PM

The tightening rings allow more pressure to build up behind the dart before it is fired. This increases range. No you do not need it. Your longshot will just be louder and not shoot as far. I cannot imagine how frustrating it would be to try and make the cuts on the brass without a dremel.
I don't get my kicks out of you,
I don't feel the way I used to do.
I know its bad,
After what we had,
But I’m just not the angel you knew.

#52 Lizard Messiah

Lizard Messiah

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 01:03 AM

Huh. I completely forgot about my dremel (probably because it isn't really mine ><). I have a really small battery powered one, but the only heads I have are for grinding. So you're saying you used, what, some kind of saw attachment for all the cutting you did here? I suppose if that's the case I could get the appropriate head, assuming my teeny dremel isn't too pathetic, which I think is definitely possible. Please excuse my lack of knowledge because I haven't done much (any, really) modding...

Edited by Lizard Messiah, 11 April 2007 - 01:12 AM.

A man is scarcely a man without a handkerchief.

#53 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 02:19 AM

Please excuse my lack of knowledge because I haven't done much (any, really) modding...

Then this modification is going to be out of your league.
I know its bad,
After what we had,

#54 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 12:01 PM

Yes, this thing is a real pain in the ass to make. So much so that I'm going to start attempting an alternative method.

Oh be sure to lube the top half of the half pipe of the main barrel. This helps the sliding of the 19/32" and makes cocking the gun and shotgunning darts alot easier.

I didn't have to do this. Instead I slid a section of 17/32 inside of it and pounded the edges lightly using a brass hammer. Then I sanded the exterior smooth.
The breech slides flawless now without any oiling.

The hang up I have now is getting the hardpoint affixed to the outside of the bolt.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 13 April 2007 - 12:04 PM.

The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#55 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 08:43 PM

Got mine working finally. Fishin' Glue is basically the base of Super Glue without any additives, therefore it's chemically stronger. Ironically after receiving it in the mail from Cabela's I ended up driving right past their corporate headquarters on a road trip to see my brother in Ohio. :rolleyes:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

I'm getting around 110 feet using 9 inches of 9/16" nested inside 8 inches of 19/32". Which is awesome because that's about as far as my Titan will shoot with an 8-inch CPVC barrel.

I just need to finish modifying my magazines next. This breech design works best with magazines that have the "stefan compatible" changes made to them since the bolt opening can only be so big and still work.
The dimensions on my parts ended up a tad different as well since I didn't have exact measurements to work with in the beginning. SO I had to come up with my own based on just the concept.
Posted Image
I cut the stock bolt piece down to 1-1/2" in length measured from the end that ends up inside the plunger chamber. What dictates the length of the "lip" you cut from the 9/16" barrel piece is largely determined by how far forward the 9/16" and 17/32" pieces extend inside the new brass bolt piece.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 08 May 2007 - 08:49 PM.

The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#56 Guest_DarkInfection_*

Guest_DarkInfection_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 May 2007 - 08:54 PM

That looks awesome CS! I wonder what your going to use that empty space for... You could have put a shotgun foregrip on there, but then again I guess you already thought of that (and mabey something better).

#57 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 08:56 PM

For this particular gun I do have a plan for the empty space. But on the next one I modify I will keep it empty and make a custom foregrip to match because I like how it changes the proportions of the whole gun.

#58 El-Cheapo

El-Cheapo

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 09:03 PM

So, CS what different sizes of brass did you use for that? Same as Forsaken?

#59 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 09:06 PM

So, CS what different sizes of brass did you use for that? Same as Forsaken?

Same sizes of brass. Only difference is the lengths I cut them to.

#60 chalywong

chalywong

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 09:56 AM

Is using this bolt design incompatible with shooting CDTD's? Are they just too long for it to open?

#61 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 10:08 AM

Is using this bolt design incompatible with shooting CDTD's? Are they just too long for it to open?

Oh you can use CDTD's its just you have to convert them even farther by shortening the length of the dart. In other words, you will most likely need to cut off 1-1.5 inches off the tail end.
I know its bad,
After what we had,

#62 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 07:59 PM

Well I have been recently given a fair bit of E-mails and or pm's about people who would like me to modify a longshot for them. I am not willing to do this cheap. My prices for doing this are very high. To help prevent these pms and or e-mails, I have made another video for the longshot on how some things work and look during or after the mod is complete. I hope this helps you guys.

Longshot additional mod footage.<-----Click here.

Did this help anyone?

Edited by Forsaken_angel24, 14 May 2007 - 08:03 PM.

I know its bad,
After what we had,

#63 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 08:01 PM

Mine is done. And yes these take a lot of time to machine and get working perfectly.
Posted Image
The breech only works well with magazines made "stefan compatible" incase anyone was wondering.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 14 May 2007 - 08:02 PM.

#64 Gengar003

Gengar003

• Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 08:25 PM

Questions. I have 9/16" and 17/32" brass on hand, but no 1/2" or 19/32". I don't want to wait for more to arrive in the mail if I can help it.

As I understand it, the use of the 1/2" brass is for the darts to "nest" snugly in, a-la traditional nesting, and it nests inside the 17/32" in the front of the breech for an airtight seal. The 19/32" is so that the actual breech that grabs the darts is a little wider, making it work smoother... right?

Do any of you who've done this think I will be able to construct a working longshot breech using only 9/16" and 17/32"? I would forego the extra nesting of 1/2" in 17/32"... Is the nesting of 1/2" in 17/32" brass absolutely essential?

And, Is 9/16" brass wide enough to grab darts without jamming?

Thank you for your time.

Edited by Gengar003, 17 May 2007 - 08:28 PM.

I bought Kohls.com's last two AirTech 2000s.

#65 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 09:22 PM

Without the 1/2" brass, the breech will not be able to shotgun load darts and a dart will not be pushed into the tightening rings. The small bit of 17/32" is only used to hold the small 9/16" nub. Those peices are only needed to hold the 19/32" brass in place. The 19/32" brass is the sleeve that opens and closes the breech.

The 1/2" brass is not used for nesting it is used as a hollow rod that will push the darts from teh clip into the main barrel while still allowing air flow.

If you click on the link in my last post it will describe the breech better.

I think the Veg made a longshot breech that is a bit more simple than mine using only two sizes of brass.
It is in the mods directory. The only difference is that breech does not allow for shotgun loading.
I know its bad,
After what we had,

#66 Gengar003

Gengar003

• Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 09:34 PM

Okay, thank you.

Have you had any issues with your breech system jamming? There's mention of TheVeg's breech being finicky, and I don't want that.

I watched the video explaining the breech (thrice) before posting; that's the only reason I understand anything about this... :)

Edited by Gengar003, 17 May 2007 - 09:36 PM.

I bought Kohls.com's last two AirTech 2000s.

#67 Prometheus

Prometheus

• Members
  • 780 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 06:17 AM

Mine is done. And yes these take a lot of time to machine and get working perfectly.
Posted Image
The breech only works well with magazines made "stefan compatible" incase anyone was wondering.

CaptainSlug, what did you use/do for your tightening rings? Same as FA_24?
Oh ya, very nice looking.

Edited by Prometheus, 18 May 2007 - 06:18 AM.

QUOTE(VACC @ Jan 24 2008, 06:12 AM) View Post
I am NEVER going to sleep naked in the bed of a former child star ever again....seriously

#68 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 08:04 AM

CaptainSlug, what did you use/do for your tightening rings? Same as FA_24?
Oh ya, very nice looking.

Same as him: an adjustable pipe cutter.
Posted Image
You tighten it while looking inside of the barrel with a flashlight and stop tightening when you can see a divot. Then simply roll it around.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 18 May 2007 - 08:04 AM.

#69 thenerfking BANNED

thenerfking BANNED

• Banned
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 04:47 PM

nice mod dude

does anywone know where i can get these for cheap somewhere :wacko:

#70 Famine

Famine

• Members
  • 545 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 10:59 PM

Awesome modification. Two things I'm wondering about though -

1) FA24's video shows the clip being loaded with the bolt in the forward position. I'm assuming this is to prevent the top of the magazine from catching on the bottom half of the exposed breech. That being said, do the magazines show any sign of wear from being stretched around the 19/32" brass?

2) Is e-tape really enough to keep the front barrel in place? Without the use of glue couldn't the front of the breech gradually rotate just a little out of alignment?

I guess I haven't seen mention of either of you using this in a full Nerf War yet and I'm curious as to what type of issues might arise after a day of constant use and abuse.
~Famine
of Mag-7
East Coast Nerf 2005: Step It Up.
East Coast Nerf 2006: That's more like it.
East Coast Nerf 2007: I'm not driving to Massachusetts again.
East Coast Nerf 2008: Day of Regret.
East Coast Nerf 2009: Quid pro quo, douchebags!

#71 SwingTheNerfBat

SwingTheNerfBat

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 26 May 2007 - 11:12 PM

FA,

What dremel bit did you use for your cuts? I only have a few basic bits (sanding, grinding, cutting wheels, etc) and was wondering which one I'd have to pick up for smooth brass cuts. I built a mock-up brass breech just from pieces I had lying around, and I see the only hold up for myself being cutting the half-pipe. Any advice?

Amazing breech, btw.

Edited by SwingTheNerfBat, 26 May 2007 - 11:12 PM.

"Ohio Nerf....We're not Completely dead.."

Come to CANO!

#72 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 26 May 2007 - 11:20 PM

2) Is e-tape really enough to keep the front barrel in place? Without the use of glue couldn't the front of the breech gradually rotate just a little out of alignment?

Instead of e-tape I ended up using 1/16th" diameter o-rings shoved in place with a flathead screwdriver. Kept it very solidly mounted but still removable.

#73 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 27 May 2007 - 12:14 AM

1) FA24's video shows the clip being loaded with the bolt in the forward position. I'm assuming this is to prevent the top of the magazine from catching on the bottom half of the exposed breech. That being said, do the magazines show any sign of wear from being stretched around the 19/32" brass?

1) The magazine lips are not stretched over the 19/32" brass. In fact they are a bit looser.

2) The amount of E-tape I used was still very tight that it took a lot of muscle to pull it in and out of place.
I used E-tape to keep it in place during the initial testing and making sure everything would fit right. After I knew the front barrel was in the position I wanted it to be in for the rest of time, I decided to use some Fishing glue to help keep it in place.

FA,
What dremel bit did you use for your cuts?

I used a fibreglass reinforced cutting wheel. But any cutting wheel will do. Just make sure when you cut brass with a dremel that you smooth out the edges a little with a sanding bit. This will help keep your breech from shredding darts.
I know its bad,
After what we had,

#74 SwingTheNerfBat

SwingTheNerfBat

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 27 May 2007 - 07:28 AM

I used a fibreglass reinforced cutting wheel. But any cutting wheel will do. Just make sure when you cut brass with a dremel that you smooth out the edges a little with a sanding bit. This will help keep your breech from shredding darts.

Thanks. Definitely about to make this my summer project. Just need to see if Hobbytown USA is restocked on brass yet.
"Ohio Nerf....We're not Completely dead.."

Come to CANO!

#75 CROW

CROW

• Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 27 May 2007 - 12:53 PM

Feel free to make the brass cuts with a hack saw. I know I had a lot of fun with that. I think the best part was when I realized that the first breech I cut with a hack saw was the wrong size, so I had to cut another... :mellow:
"You can discover what your enemy fears most by observing the means he uses to frighten you."

"ah man, I would give you so much for one of those NIB crossbows or one of those crossbows on the floor. The ones on ebay have gone up to $59 and the shipping alone is $12." -Rip32

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users