Stampede 9V mod problem.

6 replies to this topic

#1 julio campos

julio campos

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 10:48 AM

hi

a few months ago I replaced the 1.5V batteries by a single 9V battery.
it was working fine until the battery apparently ran out of charge and I replaced it.
apparently because the problem that I imagined was due to low charge continued with the new battery.

basically, I turn it on,press the trigger and the motor turn half way, then when I turn off it finishes the movement.
also, after a short while, the battery overheat.

here is a video of it.

brand new battery.

I searched everywhere and still didn't found what's the problem.

thank you in advance for any suggestions.

Julio

Edited by julio campos, 22 July 2014 - 11:20 AM.

#2 snakerbot

snakerbot

Maker of Things

• Members
  • 310 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 06:43 PM

a few months ago I replaced the 1.5V batteries by a single 9V battery.

...Why would you do this? A 9-volt gets you no more nominal voltage than the six D's in series that it had stock, and will have something like 1/30th of the capacity and similarly reduced current-supplying characteristics. In short, get rid of the 9-volt.

As for why the problem sprung up now and not before, I can't say for sure. What the video shows is exactly what happens to my stampedes when the batteries become low, but you said it was brand new. My second theory would be that the battery itself just couldn't provide the necessary voltage under that much load (remember what I said about the current supply of a 9-volt?), but if it worked before, I don't really know. Was it the same brand of 9-volt? Perhaps the new one can't supply what is being asked of it. Even if it's the same brand, I'd try swapping it with a different battery, maybe this one was on the low end of the manufacturing tolerances or something.

Also, what do you mean by "overheat"? Does it do this if you just put the battery in and turn it on, without pulling the trigger, or does it do it if you pull the trigger and let it sit with the bolt partially forward?

#3 julio campos

julio campos

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 07:23 AM

Hi snakerbot

thank you for the reply.
1/ I replaced because one 9V weight less than all the 1.5V. And is much cheaper than the 6 D. didn't know about reduced current supply. Will try with the D's again.
2/ Yes, same battery brand, will try another.
3/ after a while with the nerf just turned on, the battery gets really hot. almost can't touch it to remove.

I'm willing to open it, but only after I try to solve through other ways.

thank you very much.

will try those solution and let know if it works.

#4 shmmee

shmmee

• Members
  • 467 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:06 AM

To clarify the battery capacity question -
6D batteries are like a team of Husky dogs. They can pull a sled and run for miles and miles.
A single 9V is like trying to pull the sled with a team of greyhounds. They might be able to pull for a little bit, but you'll be pushing the sled once they're exhausted from sprinting.
"and we should respect the people who make our blasters. Even if we do molest the hell out of them..."
~BritNerfMogul

#5 snakerbot

snakerbot

Maker of Things

• Members
  • 310 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 06:34 PM

3/ after a while with the nerf just turned on, the battery gets really hot. almost can't touch it to remove.

If it does that without pulling the trigger, that sounds very much like a short circuit. Your wiring looks very simple though, so I'm not sure where there could be one.

#6 julio campos

julio campos

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 07:56 AM

If it does that without pulling the trigger, that sounds very much like a short circuit. Your wiring looks very simple though, so I'm not sure where there could be one.

guess I'l have to open it to verify the internal wiring.

#7 julio campos

julio campos

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 09:37 AM

hi

replaced the 9v by the original 6 D's and it's working fine now.

thank you all for the help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users