Ubermensch

• Members
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 08:17 PM

Hasbro sues other toy makers over patents

http://www.businessw...s/D9G3900O2.htm
For those too lazy to click the link:

PAWTUCKET, R.I.

Toy maker Hasbro Inc. is suing two competitors, Buzz Bee Toys and Lanard Toys, claiming they infringed on its patent for the Nerf and Super Soaker brands, Hasbro said Wednesday.

At issue in both cases are two U.S. patents for Hasbro's Nerf N-Strike Disc Shot Blaster shooting toy. Hasbro also claims Buzz Bee Toys infringed on a patent related to its Nerf Super Soaker water toy.

Buzz Bee Toys, in Mt. Laurel, N.J., declined to comment.

Lanard Toys Inc., which is based in Hong Kong with U.S. offices in Sugar Creek, Mo., could not immediately be reached.

Hasbro said it wants both companies to stop making the toys at issue and pay unspecified monetary damages. It filed the complaints in U.S. District Court in Springfield, Mass.

"The action we have taken today is part of Hasbro's plans to vigorously pursue companies who misappropriate our intellectual property for their own profit," Wayne Charness, senior vice president of corporate communications, said in a statement.

Hasbro shares rose 49 cents to $39.85 in midday trading.

-----------

While I'm pretty sure that Hasbro is sueing Lanard about Nerf patent infringement, it's unclear whether Buzz Bee is being sued over Nerf patents, Super Soaker patents, or both. Hasbro has a history of losing lawsuits like this, so I don't think it means the end of off-brand blaster production or anything.
"In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."-Carl Sagan
Nerf Rocket Air Launcher

#2 MavericK96

MavericK96

• Members
  • 229 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 08:55 PM

Where's the Buzz Bee blaster that looks like the Disc Shot? :)

#3 utahnerf

utahnerf

• Members
  • 339 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 09:13 PM

MavericK96: It might be a part inside the disc shot thats design was used.

Edit: I didn't read bottom. Stupid ADD.

Edited by utahnerf, 30 June 2010 - 10:59 PM.

#4 TantumBull

TantumBull

• Moderators
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 09:25 PM

Nevermind, it was already stated in the article you posted.

Edited by TantumBull, 30 June 2010 - 09:25 PM.

#5 Possemhunter

Possemhunter

• Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 01:39 PM

I find it funny that Buzz Bee headquarters is in my town of residence

#6 John

John

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 02:33 PM

This is probably a reason why Buzz Bee/Air Blasters was sued. Look familiar?
EDIT: I mean that it looks almost identical to the crossfire.

Edited by -John-, 01 July 2010 - 09:40 PM.

I haz a cheezburger wif 2 pickles an longcat's blessing. Oh yeah, and a side of awesumsaus.

#7 BritNerfMogul

BritNerfMogul

• Members
  • 560 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 03:09 PM

This is probably a reason why Buzz Bee/Air Blasters was sued. Look familiar?

Nope. That has no markings on it, buzzbee or otherwise.

#8 biotnerf

biotnerf

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 06:46 PM

America being America ...... soon someone will claim they got injured and emotionally traumatized trying to undo all the nylon tie downs when they brought a vulcan. Hasbro better not be planning on making anything that looks like a shot gun or rifle.

#9 Broderick

Broderick

• Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 07:31 PM

America being America ...... soon someone will claim they got injured and emotionally traumatized trying to undo all the nylon tie downs when they brought a vulcan. Hasbro better not be planning on making anything that looks like a shot gun or rifle.

^ Made me laugh.

I think all the copyright infringement is stupid, but if it really is making Hasbro lose business then actions are needed. It's tough though, because these guns can look nearly identical and be fine.

#10 Noob 001

Noob 001

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 07:45 PM

I think I may know why BuzzBee is being sued; some of their new-ish water guns (specifically, the Renegade, Equalizer, Vindicator, and Vanquisher) are extremely similar to the SuperSoaker CPS line. Not in how they look, but how they work. I own a Vindicator; in addition to having an absolutely badass name, it works very similarly to the CPS 1000 that I own. The internal technology is identical, although both guns execute it differently.

I even hear tell that some designers that worked on the CPS line actually moved to BuzzBee when Hasbro bought SuperSoaker or Larami or whatever.

So it's not necessarily about BuzzBee's dart guns.

#11 durka durka

durka durka

• Members
  • 364 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 09:17 PM

I think that hasbro is mostly using this as an excuse to hurt their competition as much as possible. After all, they do control most of the market for dart/water guns. Nerf is much more popular, so some copied internals aren't going to have a significant effect on their profits.

I really do hope that hasbro loses this. The more competition there is, the more variety of blasters.

Edited by durka durka, 01 July 2010 - 09:17 PM.

"The warrior who cultivates his mind polishes his arms"

#12 bourbon

bourbon

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 07:30 AM

I really do hope that hasbro loses this. The more competition there is, the more variety of blasters.

Amen. Some of Buzz Bee's blasters are fairly mediocre, but the Double Shot, Beserker and Big Blast are all very good blasters. And we can't forget the Hand Cannon and Lanard PAS either.

Lately they are giving us far better modding material than Nerf is.

#13 used man

used man

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 12:57 AM

FFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUU-

Being interested in water guns, as well as nerf, I'd like to point out that buzz bee made the only decent water guns available since 2003. just another sign that hasbro really enjoys screwing with people who invest time and interest into their shit.

1st post in years ftw. looking back, i was a complete asshole back when i was active.

#14 Fome

Fome

• Banned
  • 312 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 01:56 AM

Fuck hasbro.

"Nerf" at this point, could honestly do without them.

#15 MindWarrior

MindWarrior

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 02:48 AM

Even though its probably not the Lanard shotguns, I'm planning on stocking up, just in case.
QUOTE(Ryan201821 @ Jan 2 2010, 03:20 PM) View Post

Seriously, no penis pumps or dildos on your Nerf blasters.

REVOLUTION BABY!

#16 Blacksunshine

Blacksunshine

• Members
  • 948 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 02:53 PM

Yes this is what happens when a company starts to lose market share to its lesser competitors due to releasing shitty products. Rather then putting out new innovative designs they repackage the cheap shit that works for their profit margins. then when their competitors fill the gap they leave the lawyers get involved.

This happens every day in the tech industries.
Forgive my spelling and grammar. I post from my cell phone a lot. Sometimes when I'm on the can at work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users