Guru Mk. iii

Rebirth of a Legendary Weapon

114 replies to this topic

#26 mystefansdontflystraight

mystefansdontflystraight

• Members
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 06:46 AM

WOW!!! I can't believe I didn't see this a few days ago. This is spectacular. It makes my xbow, which I have put probably 10 hours of work into, look like a hunk of decaying plastic that somehow gets 120ft. I can't believe you COMPLETELY RE-MADE THE INTERNALS!!
I like how you affixed the SF to the xbow without piles of hot glue. Very clean.
I hope to be shot with this someday.
QUOTE(Blacksunshine @ Dec 24 2009, 02:15 PM) View Post

QUOTE(white moonlight @ Dec 23 2009, 01:29 PM) View Post

It's just screaming to be rearloading...

I seen a movie about that once.

#27 k9turrent

k9turrent

• Members
  • 829 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 07:16 AM

Bloody Effeminate win...
QUOTE View Post

That's about it. And thanks Angela who helped me with these pictures.. It looks huge in her hands.

HOLY CRAP!

FU ALL

#28 Guest_Rixon_*

Guest_Rixon_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 March 2009 - 08:15 AM

diddle is too weak of a word to define what this can do to someone.

#29 ice

ice

• Members
  • 895 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 08:16 AM

I hope to have the honor of being shot down by this weapon :D
<!--quoteo(post=206428:date=Jan 25 2009, 05:17 PM:name=Mukersman)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mukersman @ Jan 25 2009, 05:17 PM) View Post</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
Turd stefans. When I pulled these out of the pillow case i was just like, what... the... fuck...
Muker
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#30 Groove

Groove

Certified Badass

• Founders
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 08:49 AM

But I have to say, I am a bit disappointed. Not with your work, but with the fact that the Guru 3 is the same setup. I thought Groove had some awesome breakthrough and found a new synthesis of guns, none of which people would ever think to use. Something bold and new to own with. Like found some holy grail of Mech Tommy 20s or mavericks or something.

I'm sorry you feel so underwhelmed with my choice in setup. I'm going to let you in on a little secret: there is no secret tally of weapons that I keep hidden from public view, no master list of weapons that complement each other in terms of an effective setup (and no, Mech. 20's and Mavericks wouldn't be on the list). Why change something when it's been so effective in the past? Yes, we decided to keep it the same in terms of overall design, but mind you this is something different than what I've used in the past, it is essentially a homemade. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, right?

diddle is too weak of a word to define what this can do to someone.

My thoughts exactly. Looking forward to meeting this hot ass piece of plastic in person.

-Groove

"Too close for missiles, I'm switchin' to guns"

#31 bamblack2000

bamblack2000

• Members
  • 395 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 10:27 AM

I think I just jizzed my pants.

Slug you're insane. Nice job.

#32 TED

TED

In Brightest Prawn, in Darkest Shrimp...

• Administrators
  • 1,338 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 10:38 AM

I think I just JIZZED IN MY PANTS!
Star Wars can go fuck itself.

#33 mystefansdontflystraight

mystefansdontflystraight

• Members
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 11:01 AM

I think I just JIZZED IN MY PANTS!

Way to go everyone, stealing my idea.... Check out my first post in the tread.

Anyway, Slug, I came up with a few questions:
1. I noticed there was no spring rest reinforcement. I couldn't tell if your new plunger setup bypassed the need for them, or what, but if not, I would HIGHLY suggest reinforcing them. It may not be as pretty opening up the gun, but it's hella worth it.
2. Due to the unique vocabulary used in the write up, I was unable to tell whether you used any type of glue/solvent/adheisive of any kind to attach the SF. Is it all held on by the bracket?
QUOTE(Blacksunshine @ Dec 24 2009, 02:15 PM) View Post

QUOTE(white moonlight @ Dec 23 2009, 01:29 PM) View Post

It's just screaming to be rearloading...

I seen a movie about that once.

#34 TED

TED

• Administrators
  • 1,338 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 11:56 AM

But I did it better.

#35 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 12:23 PM

1. Way to go everyone, stealing my idea....
Anyway, Slug, I came up with a few questions:
2. I noticed there was no spring rest reinforcement. I couldn't tell if your new plunger setup bypassed the need for them, or what, but if not, I would HIGHLY suggest reinforcing them. It may not be as pretty opening up the gun, but it's hella worth it.
3. Due to the unique vocabulary used in the write up, I was unable to tell whether you used any type of glue/solvent/adheisive of any kind to attach the SF. Is it all held on by the bracket?

1. Shut up
2. Look harder. The piece that holds the rear of the plunger tube and supports the back of the spring is attached to the shell with 4 screws.
3. JB Weld is used to seal the tanks to the barrels and bracket. The brackets also have a firm grip on the pump tube of the splitfire. The internals of the crossbow are directly affixed to the internals of the splitfire. Nothing is done to merge the shells of either blaster.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 29 March 2009 - 03:20 PM.

The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#36 nerfboi

nerfboi

• Members
  • 858 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 03:08 PM

Your my idol! I love this. It looks sexy! Great job CS!!!
We Ride together, we die together, Bad boys for life.

#37 Mehku

Mehku

• Members
  • 383 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 03:23 PM

I'll be honest. If I was staring down the barrel of that thing, I would seriously shit my pants.
I wish I had the tools available to me that you do, Slug. I'm fucking jealous. In a good way. :P

Awesome job!

P.S. My 69th post. I couldn't help it.

#38 TED

TED

• Administrators
  • 1,338 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 03:46 PM

Oh I have a question. Make me one?

#39 Homestarune

Homestarune

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 06:35 PM

So i herd u liek Mudkipz? Dōmo, konnichiwa. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a Grue Captain Slug. Back on topic, you have done some crazy things before, to put it mildly. This however, just created its own league. After this, I honestly wonder if there ever will be a Guru Mark IV. I really don't think that it gets much better than this.
We're not discouraging people from joining a Nerf forum, we're discouraging them from joining this forum. It's an important distinction because, frankly, we don't give a shit. The Haven was created to escape the idiotic masses, now they're all here. -cxwq

#40 NerfDude1138

NerfDude1138

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 06:51 PM

I like it, very cool. Excellent design.

The only critique that I have is that there is not much left from the xbow. I don't in any way mean to detract away from this fabulous design, I just wonder if it would have been easier to adapt the Splitfire to a +bow? The +bow design lends itself to an infinite variety of potential add-on combinations. Perhaps you considered that option already and dismissed it for some reason?

I'm not asking the questions to be a dick, I asked because I have been contemplating a +bow/splitfire combo.

Edited by NerfDude1138, 29 March 2009 - 07:13 PM.

Check out all my mods on FU.

Foam Universe
We are a friendly and rapidly growing Nerfing community.

#41 Glint

Glint

• Members
  • 315 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 06:56 PM

I feel unqualified to comment on this gun... An overwhelming sense of mortality envelopes my soul whenver I simply glance at this thread.

But I actually did love the way you explained all the materials. Musta taken a lot of thought... err... work to gather all those rare objects to form into a god.

This has spiraled beyond uselessness into utterly stupidy.
- VACC
Read it again until you figure it out.

#42 Equilox

Equilox

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 07:11 PM

It's like the Rembrandt of nerf. Gorgeous!
"In my Zombie plan I use my arsenal of foam to fend of the hoards of the undead as I make my way to Canada....... good luck to you Simmons."

#43 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 07:27 PM

Barrels. Slots cut for hemostats should the barrels need to be switched out later.
Posted Image

Perhaps you considered that option already and dismissed it for some reason?

I did what was asked of me. This won't be shooting quite as far as a +bow, but will still get 100+ feet with high reliability and durability.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 29 March 2009 - 07:35 PM.

The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#44 balisticjoe

balisticjoe

• Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 07:34 PM

I really don't think that it gets much better than this.

I'm cooking something up. Give me some time. But slug this thing is amazing. The only flaw is it need a device to lift jaws off the floor.
There Are No Stupid Questions, But There Are A Lot Of Inquisitive Idiots.

#45 L0pper

L0pper

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 07:40 PM

I like it, very cool. Excellent design.

The only critique that I have is that there is not much left from the xbow. I don't in any way mean to detract away from this fabulous design, I just wonder if it would have been easier to adapt the Splitfire to a +bow? The +bow design lends itself to an infinite variety of potential add-on combinations. Perhaps you considered that option already and dismissed it for some reason?

I'm not asking the questions to be a dick, I asked because I have been contemplating a +bow/splitfire combo.

Check out the last post in the Homemade picture thread, Ryan McNumbers has a very nice example of the +bow splitfire combo you speak of (still not as beautiful as this though. Amazing work Slug).

#46 nerfboi

nerfboi

• Members
  • 858 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 08:01 PM

Hey CS, where do you get your bungee cords from?
We Ride together, we die together, Bad boys for life.

#47 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 08:18 PM

Hey CS, where do you get your bungee cords from?

I bought a bunch of $0.50 pirate hats in the dollar spot at target after Halloween.
Alternatively you can buy elastic cord from mcmaster in a variety of sizes.

#48 Soothsayer

Soothsayer

• Members
  • 663 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 08:25 PM

It amazes me how untouched putting a springer homemade into a shell is. This is definitely the choice thing you could possibly do.

Fucking amazing slug, for sure.

I hope to see a lot more of monstrosities like this from everyone, snaps and +bows alike

yeah I'm that guy who made that cool thing with the cool paint.

#49 Nerf Bros

Nerf Bros

• Members
  • 309 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 01:01 PM

Wow... So glad I don't nerf on the east coast... PAIN...
Effeminate is an understatement...
Keep up the great awesome work, slug.
We have no sig.

#50 Shadowblade

Shadowblade

• Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 04:07 PM

I was just on the receiving end of the Guru Mk.2 yesterday at Spring SENO haha! It gets better and better.

CaptainSlug, I nearly cried when I saw this gun. So simple and clean (honk if you get the reference). Hears to another beautiful weapon.

Groove, I need to see this thing in person. It would be an honor to take a hit (or two) from this gun. Us southerners going to see you and some other vets at Season of Foam - Augusta (SOFA)? Give us a hollah if you're heading our way :( .

It's been said already and it will be said again. Good work, beautiful gun. <-understatement of the year...
Proverbs says, "The wise man doth not shoot the Viking in the ding ding for he shall pummel thee."

But you can totally shoot Vacc there, he loves it!

~Talio

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users