Defender T3 Overhaul

I call it "The Offender"!!!

33 replies to this topic

#26 hamoidar

hamoidar

• Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 06:53 PM

Because they're readily accessible to me?? I don't care if they break. I got a dozen of them. So if I get 50 shots out of one, I'll just replace it. But I'm willing to bet money that the stock catch wont break, so I have no worries.

Okay, you win, I will stop asking questions. Anyway, that has got to be one of the best/cleanest paint-jobs I have ever seen on this forum. Not to mention the ranges of this thing, wow. Altogether a very good mod/overhaul. :)
NerfHaven > Your control panel > Profile > Change Signature > Inserts dumb sig > What! No pictures! > Inserts next best thing: http://nerfhaven.com...howuser=114052' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>Best thing on Nerfhaven!

#27 Banshee

Banshee

• Members
  • 668 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 09:36 PM

Okay, you win, I will stop asking questions. Anyway, that has got to be one of the best/cleanest paint-jobs I have ever seen on this forum. Not to mention the ranges of this thing, wow. Altogether a very good mod/overhaul. :)

Haha, thank you. I'm getting the feeling that some of you guys would like a tutorial on painting. Give me week or so to get some test subjects and I'll whip out a very nice, long, in-depth painting tutorial for you guys.
Like my page on Facebook! PM me, I do commissions!

#28 arfink

arfink

• Members
  • 246 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 06:40 PM

Did I mention this is awesome? No?

IT'S AWESOME!
A2GS + 4 meg RAM + 128 meg CF + 9600 Baud Lantronix = WIN

#29 Matches

Matches

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 08:23 PM

Haha, thank you. I'm getting the feeling that some of you guys would like a tutorial on painting. Give me week or so to get some test subjects and I'll whip out a very nice, long, in-depth painting tutorial for you guys.

I don't mean to discourage you, but Anima already wrote a guide for anodized painting here.

There is one difference, which is Anima used the groundcoat specific to the paint he was using, rather than a chrome spray paint. The results of both methods are probably pretty similar.

I'll have to try that Deft gloss spray. I've always used Krylon Triple Thick Glaze for shiny clear coats, but the Deft appears to be shinier.
"I've put slug-darts through a Rubbermaid plastic trash can at 15-18 feet. The idea that 'plastic' is somehow invulnerable is an error you really don't want to stand behind." --Just Some Bob on plastic shields

#30 Banshee

Banshee

• Members
  • 668 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 05:38 PM

I don't mean to discourage you, but Anima already wrote a guide for anodized painting here.

There is one difference, which is Anima used the groundcoat specific to the paint he was using, rather than a chrome spray paint. The results of both methods are probably pretty similar.

I'll have to try that Deft gloss spray. I've always used Krylon Triple Thick Glaze for shiny clear coats, but the Deft appears to be shinier.

The concept is still the same, but that was hardly a write-up, it's 6 years old, there was only one picture, and my results look better if you ask me. I'm not the first person to use this method of painting, lots of people one here have done it, but no one has gone in depth and explained how to do it.

#31 Matches

Matches

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 10:17 PM

The concept is still the same, but that was hardly a write-up, it's 6 years old, there was only one picture, and my results look better if you ask me. I'm not the first person to use this method of painting, lots of people one here have done it, but no one has gone in depth and explained how to do it.

Anima went as in depth as he could without providing superfluous information, with one exception. He didn't say how long to let the groundcoat cure before applying the paint. But the can (at least on Metalcast) tells when the groundcoat dries, after which time it is presumably safe to apply the paint. But other than that, what other information would anyone need? It seems to me that he covered everything. Again, I'm not trying to discourage you from writing a tutorial if that's what you're bent on doing.

Or maybe your method is different from Anima's?
"I've put slug-darts through a Rubbermaid plastic trash can at 15-18 feet. The idea that 'plastic' is somehow invulnerable is an error you really don't want to stand behind." --Just Some Bob on plastic shields

#32 abowden

abowden

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 12:46 AM

Truly great blaster here, and I do pitty the man who comes up against you in a pistol round. (or any other round)

Edited by abowden, 24 March 2012 - 12:47 AM.

#33 Muttonchops

Muttonchops

1.21 Muttonflops

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 08:50 AM

First of all, I would like to say good job on the write-up, and very nice job on the painting (and subsequent explanation).

However, I would like to caution that it would be a good idea, in fact, to re-enforce the catch, and potentially add a new catch spring. Why?

Posted Image

No, its not as pretty, but its just as functional. After about a year of use, it is now inoperable due to the catch being mangled. Now, its a years use, and you can replace that. I totally agree. However, it started mis-firing at about 4 months, and rapidly degraded from there, and it is a phenomenal blaster to use. It would just be a shame for it to go to crap before its time, and NF catches do NOT work well as substitutions (They become dookie even quicker).

Either way, have fun with it, and nice job

Edited by Muttonchops, 24 March 2012 - 08:51 AM.

The LGLF - The ass-kickingest, arm-missingest, beer-drinkingest nerf clan in Jersey

21:45 Gears That's boob grabbing time
21:45 Gears it is so easy

#34 Banshee

Banshee

• Members
  • 668 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 08:28 PM

First of all, I would like to say good job on the write-up, and very nice job on the painting (and subsequent explanation).

However, I would like to caution that it would be a good idea, in fact, to re-enforce the catch, and potentially add a new catch spring. Why?

No, its not as pretty, but its just as functional. After about a year of use, it is now inoperable due to the catch being mangled. Now, its a years use, and you can replace that. I totally agree. However, it started mis-firing at about 4 months, and rapidly degraded from there, and it is a phenomenal blaster to use. It would just be a shame for it to go to crap before its time, and NF catches do NOT work well as substitutions (They become dookie even quicker).

Either way, have fun with it, and nice job

I did reinforce the catch and most of the screw posts inside the gun as well as sound dampening. And I mentioned in the writeup that I replaced the catch spring, I just didn't mention the reinforcements.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users