Photo

Fix for Elite dart jams in Longshots

11 replies to this topic

#1 TheWiredDJ

TheWiredDJ

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 07:58 PM

Well, hopefully this constitutes a good enough first post, I've been hanging out around here for awhile now and my write up for an Armpede isn't quite done yet.

Okay, so most people with Longshots have noticed that Elite darts jam like a mother, due to the nature of the new Elite dart dome (it collapses less than streamlines) and the way that the LS dart tooth works.

The Problem: After messing around with the mechs, it appears that the direct cause of the jam is due to the Elite dart dome not being pushed all the way into the bolt, thus it will jam by part of the dome getting caught on the dart tooth as it retracts downward.

The Fix: (Easiest to do if the AR is already out; here's the link if you haven't already done so: AR mod guide). There are a million LS basic mod guides out there, I'm sure I don't need to explain how to open up a LS and pull out the breech and sled assembly. If you haven't already done so, you need to shorten the dart post. I do it by just grabbing it with a pair of needle-nose plies and twisting it off, it's getting trimmed down anyways. It works best to remove the post but leave the stop at the bottom of it where it connects to the walls of the bolt. Take a 1/2" butterfly bit on a drill and hedge out the breech (it will take off a very thin shaving from the inside of the breech) all the way to the bottom of the dart post (where it connects to the wall of the bolt).

Posted Image

This is a butterfly bit. It also has other names but this is what I'm referring to.
Posted Image

This is what it looks like after you hedge it out with the bit (AR also removed, Dart post shortened to base, Base of dart post remains, Plunger rod is not pictured).
Posted Image

Stock, an elite dart will go into the breech this far before it encounters major resistance.
Posted Image

Modded, it should go in this far before it hits major resistance.
Posted Image

And there's the fix. Before doing this, I was getting maybe 12/18 shots out with Elite darts. Since doing it, I haven't encountered the jamming problem again.

Note: If you completely remove the dart post and its bottom piece where it connects to the walls of the breech, you will need to add glue, epoxy, or some other material to the rear inside of the bolt to prevent darts from vacuuming all the way back into the plunger. This is why I prefer to just drill into the breech until you hit the bottom of the dart post.

Used to commission Nerf guns I guess.

Gallery/Blog.
Facebook page.

#2 Mully

Mully

• Members
  • 342 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 08:44 PM

I'm going to try this with my WIP pump-Ls.
Thanks for the advice, great mod, very clean work.

Mully

EDIT:
My Ls works perfectly with elite darts now.
Again, thanks.

Edited by Mully, 02 January 2013 - 10:52 PM.

S.C.U.N.

#3 Swatsonia

Swatsonia

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:55 AM

Strange, every Longshot I've seen locally that used Elites, including my own and a commission I'm doing, have never experienced this problem.

However, for those that do, it is a nice fix to help alleviate the issue.

#4 therealnerfjunkies

therealnerfjunkies

• Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 05:20 PM

The "butterfly bit" that you are referring to is actually called a spade bit, but I think you know that. What measurement is the spade bit? Good job on the guide by the way.

EDIT: Nevermind. I can't read. You already said that it is a 1/2 bit. I always miss things like that for some reason.

Edited by therealnerfjunkies, 29 December 2012 - 05:21 PM.

"You forgot the one rule of making a remake. Don't fuck with the original."

#5 MattTheSasquatch

MattTheSasquatch

• Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 07:28 PM

I had the same issue. Thanks for making this guide. I'll have to find an alternative as I don't own a dremel. If I find one I'll have to post, or if someone beats me to it.
You're never too old to play with Nerf Blasters.

#6 TheWiredDJ

TheWiredDJ

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 08:25 PM

I had the same issue. Thanks for making this guide. I'll have to find an alternative as I don't own a dremel. If I find one I'll have to post, or if someone beats me to it.

You only need a drill and a "butterfly" or spade bit to be able to do this.

Gallery/Blog.
Facebook page.

#7 MattTheSasquatch

MattTheSasquatch

• Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:20 PM

You only need a drill and a "butterfly" or spade bit to be able to do this.

Ahh, I thought I read dremel and not drill. I'll have to go to my local hardware store, or Wal-Mart.
You're never too old to play with Nerf Blasters.

#8 anything that explodes

anything that explodes

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 12:32 AM

Thank you very much man! I recently modified my long shot and bought some elite darts. Later that day i stuck my clip of elite darts into my ls and it shot. WOO a few more tries and it stopped working. I thought it was because the elite darts might be denser and they did not squeeze to fit through the barrel or something?.?.?(I'm a noob to Nerf)Posted Image
Very easy fix.

Quick question; does anyone see a range increase when using elite darts in a ls instead of streamlines, i lost all my streamlines and they do not sell them anymore.Posted Image
~anything_that_explodes
is OUT, PEACE

#9 TheWiredDJ

TheWiredDJ

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:37 PM

Quick question; does anyone see a range increase when using elite darts in a ls instead of streamlines, i lost all my streamlines and they do not sell them anymore.Posted Image

Elite darts are generally shooting further and straighter (to a degree) than streamlines in just about every gun (bar some non-clip system guns).

Gallery/Blog.
Facebook page.

#10 Blue

Blue

• Members
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:07 PM

Cool stuff. I noticed issues with elite darts in a couple of brass breeched clipped blasters I have, is the issue really just as simple as fixing the clearance for the head? If it is I may be motivated enough to brass my Retaliator....

#11 hamoidar

hamoidar

• Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:37 PM

Nice Idea! Does the range decrease after doing this fix?

The reason I ask is because it seems that this mod would decrease the launch tube's grip on the dart. And that would not allow as much pressure to build up behind the dart before firing, which might adversely affect the range.

Edited by hamoidar, 05 January 2013 - 09:39 PM.

NerfHaven > Your control panel > Profile > Change Signature > Inserts dumb sig > What! No pictures! > Inserts next best thing: http://nerfhaven.com...howuser=114052' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>Best thing on Nerfhaven!

#12 TheWiredDJ

TheWiredDJ

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:40 PM

Nice Idea! Does the range decrease after doing this fix?

The reason I ask is because it seems that this mod would decrease the launch tube's grip on the dart. And that would not allow as much pressure to build up behind the dart before firing, which might adversely affect the range.

As long as you don't completely bore out the inside of the bolt you're safe, you only want to hedge out enough so that the dart can move a few mm further into the bolt before getting nice and snug (the "resistance" I refer to). The bit should be taking out nothing more than a very thin shaving of plastic. When I tested this, the span range of ranges I was getting was about spot on with the ranges I was getting prior to the mod.

Gallery/Blog.
Facebook page.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users