Hopper Alternative

32 replies to this topic

#26 Daniel Beaver

Daniel Beaver

HQRSE CQCK

• Moderators
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 05:33 PM

Awww yeaah. Dual soda bottles in a "choppered" configuration. Hold about 150 darts, so it ought to eliminate the need to reload during a round. Soda bottles have that ideal "funnel" shape, so if you shake it between shots near the the opening will tumble into position and feed into the barrel.

Posted Image

Edited by Daniel Beaver, 08 April 2012 - 05:38 PM.

#27 chavez guy

chavez guy

• Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 08:46 PM

Posted Image

Out of complete curiosity why is there a second barrel taped to the bottom of your hopper's barrel?
Not a criticism, but since this isn't the first time I have seen this I want to know if there is a reason for this.

Edited by chavez_guy, 08 April 2012 - 08:46 PM.

Hablamos EspaƱol

#28 Daniel Beaver

Daniel Beaver

HQRSE CQCK

• Moderators
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 08:56 PM

Out of complete curiosity why is there a second barrel taped to the bottom of your hopper's barrel?
Not a criticism, but since this isn't the first time I have seen this I want to know if there is a reason for this.

It's an EzikieLOADER

#29 hamoidar

hamoidar

• Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 08:12 AM

Awww yeaah. Dual soda bottles in a "choppered" configuration. Hold about 150 darts, so it ought to eliminate the need to reload during a round. Soda bottles have that ideal "funnel" shape, so if you shake it between shots near the the opening will tumble into position and feed into the barrel.

Posted Image

Now beaver, what happened to this?-

You should invest in a pair of knee pads.

Singing another tune huh?
NerfHaven > Your control panel > Profile > Change Signature > Inserts dumb sig > What! No pictures! > Inserts next best thing: http://nerfhaven.com...howuser=114052' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>Best thing on Nerfhaven!

#30 Langley

Langley

LGLF - Since 2002

• Administrators
  • 2,997 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:00 AM

Now beaver, what happened to this?-

Singing another tune huh?

I am on the verge of handing out a suspension just for completely missing the point.

Alright, Cali, Beavs, I think *most* of us get the idea. For the vast majority of nerfers, the utility of a big bottle of loose darts rates somewhere below an R/C nerf tank. But if people want to gobble mig's knob so badly, they can build their own bottle hopper and find out for themselves (as long as they don't bring any of those domes to a Jersey war.) I suspect this will just go the way of the deodorant clip and those shotshell darts.

You can poop in my toilet anytime champ.

2016 Nerf War Schedule
Bless you, my son. Now recite 3 New Members Guides and 5 Code of Conducts for your sins.

#31 Carbon

Carbon

Contriberator

• Moderators
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 10:45 AM

Yep, though he was doing it with an inline clip, so failure was inevitable. Naturally you could do this setup with PVC fittings, though you would lose the advantage of a clear container (not to mention that it would be heavier).

No, I made a hopper version as well.

http://nerfhaven.com...51&st=0&p=76352

MIG's version addresses some of the issues I had. A wye is a much better angle for a dart to negotiate, as opposed to the 90 degree bend I used, and this design also necks on the angle, allowing one dart to filter in to firing position. (The neck-down was on the horizontal in my design).

That said, I'd imagine that this design would still suffer from the same issue with "dart clustering", where there ended up being a roadblock of darts at the wye, necessitating a shake to break it up. However, it's quite possible that this is another thing that a BB might help with: the huge air volume probably blows the darts in the hopper back a little, giving them a little shake each time. When I was testing, I was using a SNAP-1 and an AT2k, so I might not have had the air displacement necessary to really make it work (I had jams about every 10 shots or so...just unreliable enough that I never used it in a war.) That, and the PVC fittings I used were, um, huge.

Another issue: as MIG said, this design needs *heavy* darts. I avoided the issue of darts turning in the pipe by using stefans that were 2" long, nevermind the fact that they were weighted with 3/0 fishing weights. Modern #6 slugs will probably be too light. It'd be But based off what Beaver was saying, it would be interesting to do some actual tests, and see just how much of an effect backwards darts have.

All that said, I really like this. It's a great application, and I'm always a fan of new and cheap off-the shelf parts. Excellent job.

EDIT: Holy necro, batman. Guess who doesn't read the Mods forum very often.

Edited by Carbon, 26 July 2012 - 11:27 AM.

Hello. I am Indigo of the Rainbow Clan. You Nerfed my father. Prepare to die.

#32 china

china

• Banned
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 01:15 PM

good idea did you think off this your self because its awesome part of work good job
USER WAS WARNED FOR THIS POST

Edited by Zorn's Lemma, 01 August 2012 - 05:06 PM.

#33 Zorns Lemma

Zorns Lemma

Sir Scrt

• Moderators
  • 1,277 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 05:05 PM

good idea did you think off this your self because its awesome part of work good job

Where does that sentence begin? Please reread the New Members Guide and Code of Conduct
"In short, the same knowledge that underlies the ability to produce correct judgement is also the knowledge that underlies the ability to recognize correct judgement. To lack the former is to be deficient in the latter."
Kruger and Dunning (1999)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users