Photo

Finding A Blaster For A Friend In A Power Chair.

Not your average "what blaster do I get!!1" thread.

49 replies to this topic

#1 Naes Draw

Naes Draw

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 10:12 PM

Ok. I'm starting up a Nerf club at my campus, and my friend wanted in. The thing is, he's got CP, and uses a power chair mainly. I''ve been wracking my brain for what would work with him best, and figured I'd go to you guys for help.

Details:
  • It's going to be primarily mid-range outdoor rounds.
  • He needs one hand to run the chair, so something that requires a minimum of priming/reloading is key.
  • Ideally one handed except for reloading.
  • Stock darts, mostly stock blasters.
  • Modding is an option.
I had started him with a DTB with a string attached to the slide, but that only sort-of works. It tends to hold the slide half cocked, causing misfires. My other thought was a Tommy 20, but that's a bit short on the range department.

He's really interested, and I don't want him to get frustrated. Any ideas? I'd really appreciate it, We're firing up soonish, and I want to get him set up ahead of time.
The nerfer with the green goggles.

|||||)

#2 father time

father time

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 10:23 PM

I made my 4B one handed by putting a recon spring on the pump handle, you just keep the handle in yuor shoulder like a rifle stock. If you add a RSCB then he'll have a nice range weapon and good ROF.***Only problem is it takes some getting used to cause that part of your body has a lot of nerves so when the war is over his shoulder might be kind of sore. Hope I helped you and your friend.

[img]http://i976.photobucket.com/albums/ae243/t...erfstuff011.jpg

http://i976.photobucket.com/albums/ae243/t...erfstuff012.jpg[/img]

Edited by father time, 28 January 2010 - 11:10 PM.

Ask her if she wants you to give her a multiple orgasm.
And when she looks stunned show her a picture of the blaster.
But if she gets excited. You're in.
-Miguel Ramos
Time is the one thing you can never escape.-Father Time

#3 Foamfoot

Foamfoot

• Members
  • 461 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 10:23 PM

What about an RF20 hooked up to an air compressor, or maybe a paintball CO2 tank hooked up to one?
Pro-pants
(Unofficial) Wii thread
QUOTE(Bedhed117 @ Aug 14 2009, 03:49 PM) View Post

Damn it Foamfoot. Why is it that you kill every good topic with a retarded response a few days late.

#4 soccerbeast003

soccerbeast003

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 10:32 PM

Try a hornet.
Christine Everheart: You've been called the Da Vinci of our time. What do you say to that?

Tony Stark: Absolutely ridiculous. I don't paint.

#5 Whisper101

Whisper101

• Members
  • 520 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 10:43 PM

A nicely made LpL might do nicely. It gets great range for its size and requires the same reloading activities as a NF...

#6 FatNerfer

FatNerfer

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 10:48 PM

What about an RF20 hooked up to an air compressor, or maybe a paintball CO2 tank hooked up to one?

I like that idea.
QUOTE(SchizophrenicMC @ Feb 8 2010, 08:57 AM) View Post
Because calling a nerfer a nerd is like calling water wet.

QUOTE(PunkPictures @ Oct 9 2009, 05:26 PM) View Post
nerfhaven is so fucking gay.

#7 HOTH

HOTH

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 557 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 10:48 PM

A nicely made LpL might do nicely. It gets great range for its size and requires the same reloading activities as a NF...

If he used an Lpl, he would be fucked indoors. Since I should contribute, air guns would work the best, because he could pump it up, then scoot around with it primed, as opposed to having to prime a springer after each shot. So, an RF20 is a great solution, or MS with some clip mods and OPR removal. Of course, you could do what foamfoot said and actually hook it up to some shit, but I honestly do not know how much work you wanna put into this.
My YouTube

Solved the Rubik's Cube in 46 seconds

"Nobody understands quantum mechanics" - Richard Feynman

#8 k9turrent

k9turrent

• Members
  • 829 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 10:55 PM

or a pvc tank on the back of the chair and a separate pump along the side
QUOTE View Post

That's about it. And thanks Angela who helped me with these pictures.. It looks huge in her hands.

HOLY CRAP!

FU ALL

#9 Langley

Langley

LGLF - Since 2002

• Administrators
  • 2,997 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 11:03 PM

Jlego would be a good person to consult concerning one handed nerfing.

You can poop in my toilet anytime champ.

2016 Nerf War Schedule
Bless you, my son. Now recite 3 New Members Guides and 5 Code of Conducts for your sins.

#10 fallinouttadabox

fallinouttadabox

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 11:28 PM

Something with salvo tanks and an SMDGT trigger would work well. 3 good ranged accurate shots without reloading. As far as pumping goes, if he rigged up the pump on a pivot to one wheel, it would pump as he drove around and could fill an external tank as perviously mentioned. The only thing is he'd have to keep the OPRV in so he didn't blown the tank while driving around.
Posted Image
This is what I meant by pump attached to the wheel with pivots, as the wheel turns, the pump goes in and out, filling the tank. It would be hard to get perfect, but make everything easier for him.
fallinouttadabox (intentionally lowercase): sometimes you want to be somewhere between thinking in the box and thinking out of the box. Trust me, I would know.

#11 TantumBull

TantumBull

• Moderators
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 11:40 PM

I think the first step is making it easier for him to prime and ready darts. I would seriously consider a semi auto set up, or simply hooking up an airgun to a ball valve and air tank.

#12 Lion

Lion

• Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 11:53 PM

vulcan all the way, build a bracket off the tripod with some pipe that will hook up to his chair, that would rock so much

#13 pjotrkuh

pjotrkuh

• Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 12:35 AM

vulcan all the way, build a bracket off the tripod with some pipe that will hook up to his chair, that would rock so much

AWWW I was going to say that!!!
When the shit hits the fan, you'd better wear a rain coat.....

#14 Daniel Beaver

Daniel Beaver

HQRSE CQCK

• Moderators
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 12:50 AM

The Tetrastrike may be an interesting option, if you can find one. Semi-auto blasters (Big Salvo, Hornet) seems like a wise choice.

#15 BustaNinja

BustaNinja

• Members
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 02:14 AM

Since he has a chair, get yourself 2 RF20's, some HPA tanks, and make removable turrets for them. I mean, really. Why limit what he can have to only his hands? Plus, it would be totally badass.

But thats kinda only for indoor wars.

Make an HPA tank rig for a Big Blast with a hopper clip. Ultimate losing.
Me: Yeah. he beat a hooker
Venom: Haven't we all?

#16 Fome

Fome

• Banned
  • 312 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 03:02 AM

Fuck yeah.
If you did this right you could potentially give him an advantage in battle.

Play to the strengths of the power chair, specifically:
1.) It provides a stable firing platform.*
2.) He could pack a lot of weaponry/ammo/accessories on that thing.

Some ideas:
1.) Definitely try and rig up some kind of tri-pod/brace/stability... thing so that he doesn't have to set the blaster in his lap while reloading. This would also make it a lot easier to use one handed, especially if it's of the more unwieldy varieties (vulcan, RF20, etc.).
2.) Some ideas:
Get some industrial Velcro and slap a sweet sidearm or even second primary onto his chair. A cleverly devised holster could work too.
Almost any type of air blaster that's powered by an external air tank would give him a lot of shots before having to re-pump. A battery powered air pump that he could simply switch on would even solve that problem.
If he does use a vulcan, get him a shit-load of belts and a big ammo box to attach to his chair. He'll probably get out ranged though so integrate something into it. Doesn't matter if it's ugly or cumbersome, especially if it's on a stable platform.
Pistolsplats are really easy to prime with 1 hand.

Basically, overcome his lack of mobility with enough firepower that would normally encumber someone not in a chair. Disadvantage becomes advantage. This is an opportunity for this guy to have a really awesome time, don't just hand him a nitefinder and say "here you go bro, good luck".

*yes I realize to most of you goons, nerf is all about jumping around like a monkey, but c'mon.

#17 Ambience 327

Ambience 327

• Members
  • 561 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 08:53 AM

First off, let me just say kudos to you for being willing to help this guy have some fun with you guys. It would be quite easy to just say "Sorry dude, we just don't know how to get you into the game."

We had a wheelchair-bound player at one of our indoor wars at the church once. She didn't have a power chair, but she did have several siblings and friends willing to take turns pushing her around so she could play as close to normal as possible.

I like some of the suggestions I've seen here, but one thing to keep in mind. Before you go making modifications to the guy's power chair, make sure you aren't going to cause irreparable cosmetic damage or void warranties or anything like that.

Edited by Ambience 327, 29 January 2010 - 08:53 AM.

Foam in the Fort IV
The fourth exciting Nerf War in Fort Wayne, IN.

#18 Naes Draw

Naes Draw

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 09:24 AM

Wow guys. I'll run some of this past him, see what he thinks. And yeah, I'm not doing anything to mess up the chair, but I do think that it is the plus here. Awesome.
The nerfer with the green goggles.

|||||)

#19 Mr BadWrench

Mr BadWrench

• Members
  • 781 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 10:28 AM

A raider with a block of wood jamming the trigger closed for all its slam-fire greatness. He should be able to put the stock against the back of the chair under his arm and pull the priming handle with ease.
Im assuming is not completely immobile himself he could carry several blasters and get to them easily.

I suggest against the vulcan because of problems with the chains getting in the way. I am a huge fan of tommy20s for people who lack mobility, but not just one... several. a 9.6v battery pack and a duffel bag full of tommy20s makes for a well armed nerfer.

Don
NerfChat IRC Chatroom Click to chat!

#20 dizzyduck

dizzyduck

• Members
  • 627 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 10:50 AM

The only blaster that comes to mind as being easily prime-able with just one hand is the Ratchet Blast. The handle snap problems are easily avoided with some well-placed reinforcements. No HPA tanks, no electric motors.
Duck off.
Art & Stuff

#21 Sk0rpion 777

Sk0rpion 777

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 11:08 AM

I would suggest a lever-action blaster, such as the Pistolsplat, Maxshot, ect. It's not that hard for me to prime my PS with one hand. Or like Badwrench suggested with the Raider.
R.I.P Billy Mays.

#22 angelfalcon

angelfalcon

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 11:13 AM

Genius. Play to the advantages of the chair - don't try to cover up the disadvantages.

The main advantage he has is the sheer amount of firepower he can hold on the chair. I'm thinking three small primaries - low rate of fire/high range, medium/medium, high/low. In other words, I'm thinking an Uberfinder, a Recon, and a Magstrike.

The Uberfinder's plunger rod could be tied to a string behind him, so he pulls it out of a cleverly placed holster, extends his arm, and shoots. (100"+)

The Recon would be shooting from a drum clip and have been PETG breeched DeadDumpster-style. It could be shotgun foregripped, and the foregrip would be strapped to his stronger leg (probably right side) so he pushes the Recon forward then back. It would be loose enough so that the gun can be turned sideways for clip ejection, yet tight enough that he could prime it. (65")

The Magstrike'd probably be strapped down on the opposite side the the NF holster. PVC tank underneath the chair, tubed up, pump behind him on the back of the chair so it's over his weak hand's shoulder. He reaches over his shoulder with his dominant hand, and pumps. The pump would be LEVEL, sticking out from the back like a bazooka. (55")

On the side with the NF holster (his dominant hand's side) he could have a holder made from cardboard, with dividers. One section would carry three or four Recon clips and a space for the drum clip, one would carry at least two Magstrike clips, and one would contain barrels and speedloaders for the coupler'd Uberfinder.

As stated, play to his strengths, don't try to Band-Aid his weaknesses.

Edited by angelfalcon, 29 January 2010 - 11:16 AM.

According to your mom, size matters. My blaster is four feet long. What about yours?

I measured mine and I got about 11 inches.

#23 alberty

alberty

• Members
  • 197 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 01:57 PM

I know that external air compressors / tanks have already been mentioned, but I thought about ice's RSCB'd Titan and the portable air compression device he used: RSCB titan link

If you could get a lot of air guns with high capacity tanks, you could possibly create a sort of universal external tank-attachment system that would fill any lot of these air-powered blasters quickly. You would need to modify the inputs on each blaster's bladder and the output tube on the portable air compressor to work together to be quickly swappable. Having several RF20's or Magstrikes mounted, he could simply plug the air compressor into one of the blasters to refill it.

I understand that that would be extremely difficult to create and still be time-consuming, not to forget the possibility of it not working mid-battle. Other air powered guns (i.e. AT2K, BBBB) would need RSCB or hopper clips too. Obviously, that crazy system would need to go along with good spring-powered guns that everyone else has mentioned already and respective speedloaders or clips as backups. That's just one difficult idea I came up with that's different than what I've heard of so far.

I would also suggest finding official Nerf shields like the Crossfire ones and mounting them on the mounted guns in order to help block against gun hits. Speaking of the mounted guns, it would be nice to have the RF20s or Magstrikes able to turn like turrets to cover most directions easily and with stability. Lastly...I would also recommend Magstrikes over RF20s because you can just acquire several clips for a very fast reload instead of needed to do the swappable clip mod for the RF20.

I agree with Mr BadWrench against the Vulcan. The chains could get stuck or get in the way (not to forget them falling out of the breech when used up) and it's also a very heavy and bulky gun. You'd need to cut off its barrel and make something to catch the empty chains or make them looped, not really worth it in my opinion.

I think this is a very interesting topic, and I'd like to see the final result. Would you be willing to show the final setup when it's done in this thread, and maybe even action shots/videos? It's up to both your friend and you of course. I can imagine him and his powerchair becoming a feared Nerf machine at many wars to come!

EDIT: Oh right, what are the hit rules? And the Magstrike can probably be reloaded with 1 hand (swapping clips) but no so much the RF20.

Edited by alberty, 29 January 2010 - 04:09 PM.

#24 Ambience 327

Ambience 327

• Members
  • 561 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 03:10 PM

albery's comment about the Nerf shields brings up an important topic for this player that is pretty much unrelated to blaster choices. Namely this; what will count as a hit?

Liberal Extreme: If you hit the guy's body, blaster(s), accessories and/or the power chair, he takes a hit.

Conservative Extreme: Place a small (3" diameter) round target somewhere on the guy's person/power chair/etc. Only hits to that target count.

Obviously, both of these are a little silly. He won't be able to move around as quickly as your other players, won't be able to dodge darts or move erraticaly to throw off aim, and he won't be able to make as effective use of cover as the others. Thus, counting him, his chair, his blasters and all accessories as hit areas (which, barring the chair, is a reasonable rule for normal players) is a bit unfair. Likewise, giving him just a small target that is the only place hits count would make him practically invincible. Obviously, the right answer lies somewhere in between, and might take some testing and adjustment on your part to find the right balance.

As a starting point, I'd suggest this:

Logical Compropmise: Any hit to the guy's body and any blaster currently held in his hand count. Hits to the power chair and any blasters or accessories stored on/attached to the power chair and not currently in use do not count.

This does depend a bit on the nature of his power chair - i.e. how much of his back would be covered by it. You don't want to make him completely invincible from the rear (i.e. only his head is visible), but since he won't be able to turn/dodge as easy, having the seat of his chair offer some protection might be a good idea. If his seat covers far too much of him from behind, you could throw the target idea in there - add a small target to the back of the seat that counts as a hit, but the rest of the power chair doesn't.

Edited by Ambience 327, 29 January 2010 - 03:13 PM.

Foam in the Fort IV
The fourth exciting Nerf War in Fort Wayne, IN.

#25 durka durka

durka durka

• Members
  • 364 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 03:27 PM

If you were somehow able to create a mount without doing much of anything to the chair, you could potentially use any blaster you wanted.

having many blasters sounds like a good idea. You could practically make him a mobile armory.
"The warrior who cultivates his mind polishes his arms"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users