Photo

Turreted Big Blast...of Doom

NOT what you're expecting; NOT a 2k turret.

16 replies to this topic

#1 Falcon

Falcon

Velcro'd Beanpole

• Members
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 06:44 PM

So one of my clan members, many moons ago, bought an Airtech 4k.

*sigh*

There had to be a use for it after the rotation mech quit on us. We tried all kinds of stuff. At one point, the 4k was singled, which worked for a little while (until we got fed up with how tiring it was to pump, which was conveniently when the hot glue on the barrel broke off). Then we mounted the turret on a Titan (my first turret job, actually...wish I had a pic of that thing) which worked until the internally-mounted bungee cord that was holding the turret against the air output got twisted ito a knot or something. That, and the fact that we used the end of a water-balloon filler-upper sink-threaded funnel to put the air into the tiny holes gave the titan less range after 25 pumps than his (at the time crayola'ed) SM 1500. So that was pointless.

So we tossed the turret aside for an extended period of time. A year or two, actually.

Then this wonderful little invention known as the Big Blast was put into production. After all the hype over its abilities to leap tall buildings in a single bound (or 35 pumps; take your pick) we decided to have a look (mind you, we weren't thinking at all about the 4k turret at the time...) After seeing visitor Cthulhu use one (and limiting his number of pumps, so he wouldn't be blowing holes in trees and/or small children) at our reent Turkey Day War, the aforementioned trusty clan member was ready to toss aside his Blast Bazookas and SM 1500 for a short while to see just what everybody was really going on about.

Even without a pump plug and barrel replacement, the thing was shooting stefans out of the stock barrel (restrictor removed, of course) like a beast. And then his mind got to working again.

The old Titan project came to mind at some point, and he brought it up with me. An interesting thought, to be sure. But I was having way too much fun putting 2k turrets on guns at the time to want to think about the headaches that would be involved with mounting a turret that didn't have a working manual rotation mech built in.

But he pestered me, and even went out and bought this wonderful little metal gadget at Home Depot. It's a metal swivel for keychains and the like, and it would keep the bungee or whatever we used from getting all twisted up.

So we met last week, opened up his new big blast, and took a hacksaw to that thing.

Actually, if you decide you're insane and want to try this, I'd start with the 4k turret. So I'll go in the order that really would've made more sense.

Here we go:

Posted Image

That (above) would be the lovely back of the 4k turret. That is, after we took a sharp knife (didn't want to change dremel bits or charge my drill, so I said screw it all...) to each of the holes and opened them up real good. About half again their original size, actually. This was so we could fit some sort of pipe into the back of the turret, that the air would go through.

Posted Image

I'll tell ya flat out this shell was MADE for a 4k turret. The plastic wall that runs horizontally along the gun that ended up just underneath the stem of the 4k turret fit it so that the top barrel of the turret lined up near perfectly with the center of the big blast's barrel; A GREAT fit.

In the above picture, you'll see we've hacked away at the front of the shell a bit to fit the turret in there. You'll also see a PVC elbow. Don't know what size I used; all I know is I epoxied it a little closer to the trigger than it should've been to support the lower half of the turret (what with a spring pulling on it all the time, ya know?) so I wrapped a crapload of e-tape around it t built it up, so the turret wasn't been pulled down. This ended up making for a PERFECTLY level barrel-to-shell alignment. In other words, the barrels don't point slightly up or down; they're perefctly in-line with the line of the original stock barrel.

You'll also notice that the air is coming out quite far away from the actual valve. I would've moved it closer, but COME ON! It's a freaking BIG BLAST! It's go so much air coming out of this thing that it might as well be single barreled all over again, were we to move the turret closer. It gets plenty of air, but not so much that it'll get banned like a titan or something.

Lastly, you'll notice coming out of the stock barrel, there is a metal tube coming out with some e-tape around it. The e-tape is somewhat cone-shaped, so it's easy to insert it into the back of the barrels, but the tape will squeeze to fit in and seal the back of the barrels off. You can use any tubing you want (really small brass...a drinking straw...whatever) but I used a short piece of old airsoft barrel I had lying around. It's thick, so it'll be durable, but it's big enough to put out some serious air volume as well as velocity.

Posted Image

Here's what I attached to the back of the turret. Using a screw with a small eyelet screwed directly into the stem of the turret, I attached the metal swivel. Behind that, a loop of ziptie to connect it to the final piece, a small (but surprisingly robust) expansion spring I bought at Ace Hardware.

Posted Image

Here's the contraption fit into the shell. The Spring fits into the small space in front of the trigger perfectly, and the swivel fits in front of that wall. The Ziptie merely goes between. The shell was so well fit for this mod, that the other end of the expansion spring stretched to fit over a post that one of the gun's stock screws went through.

Now that it was completed, the method of firing was simple. Pump and shoot, then pull out on the turret, turn it, and slide it back over the stub, which entered a fresh, loaded barrel. Pump and shoot. Rinse and repeat. It's really incredibly simple, and ghetto-fabulous. Like older modifications, before people started getting all hi-tech, and every mod you saw that was worth anything had two full rolls of duct tape on it. But without the duct tape.

With the large gap between the valve and the barrels, the pump ended up needing to be plugged, but it doesn't require a rediculous amount of pumps to get it going. Five to seven do it plenty justice, and that's with STOCK BARRELS.

Sure, the ranges aren't incredible, nor do I see them as quite up to par just yet (it hits 60-70' right now) but that's because it's still running stock barrels. The barrels are too short for the amount of air coming out, so I'm going to brass it soon, and all will be better. With some short barrels running out of it (no longer than 4"...anything more than that and it'll be too heavy to rotate comfortably) it'll stabilize the darts enough to hit 80-90' flat with 5-7 pumps, no problem.

So the finished product:

Posted Image
Posted Image

Personally, I think it looks absolutely awesome. It looks like it was built that way, because we were lucky enough to have two companies using nearly identical shades of orange.

Edited by Falcon, 05 January 2007 - 06:50 PM.

----------||||||||)
QUOTE(Ilùvatar @ 0000) View Post
Of the theme that I have declared to you, I will now that ye make in harmony together a Great Music.

#2 agentM192

agentM192

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 07:49 PM

Nice. Mine quit on me too, and I couldn't get it open because the screws were pre-fucked.
They aren't weapons. Don't call them weapons. They're only weapons if you make them so.

#3 PvtMcFlurry

PvtMcFlurry

• Members
  • 353 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 08:18 PM

*GASP* FALCON.....DOESN'T.....USE A 2k TURRET?!?!!11!?!ONE Haha. On a more serious note, looks great. Makes me wanna throw out my LBB and pick one of these up.

Edited by Pvt.McFlurry, 05 January 2007 - 08:21 PM.

QUOTE(Cannonball @ Oct 26 2007, 11:47 PM) View Post

I'm anxiously awaiting the hasbro over throw.

One Man Clan, or One Man Company?

Crossbow Mod.

#4 PiMpDaDdY

PiMpDaDdY

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 08:37 PM

Hmm I have a big blast and a AT4K. Hmmm I wonder what I'll be doing this weekend. Very nice Falcon, Love it Great work!
NerfMonkey:
I only ask because I'm thinking of trying these and it would suck if the balls got all covered with hairs after a while.

#5 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 09:19 PM

Nice, I am looking forward to seeing the final product.
I don't get my kicks out of you,
I don't feel the way I used to do.
I know its bad,
After what we had,
But I’m just not the angel you knew.

#6 nerfer34

nerfer34

• Members
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 10:29 PM

That thing is awesome!

Nice work connecting the springs to help manual rotation!
<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->God Damn it Groove, you stole my kill.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->-OMC

#7 One Man Clan

One Man Clan

TOFTS

• Contributors
  • 2,170 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 07:43 AM

What is it with the West Coast and putting turrets on everything? It doesn't matter how many shots you have loaded if you CAN'T HIT SHIT TO BEGIN WITH! I swear to god, if I see an SSPB with a 2k turret I just might hang up my hat.

PS, set a date for Armageddon. I'll show you AGAIN why turrets aren't necessary.
I hate you.

#8 sam

sam

• Members
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 12:18 PM

That looks amazing! It looks like it is completly stock. Do you rotate the turret like an AT2K turret or does it work more like a homemade turret, like say on a maxshot? You could use PETG for barrels, it's lighter than brass, allowing you to have longer barrels and assuming you were planning using 17/32" brass, fits very similar.

#9 NerfMonkey

NerfMonkey

• Members
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 12:19 PM

What is it with the West Coast and putting turrets on everything? It doesn't matter how many shots you have loaded if you CAN'T HIT SHIT TO BEGIN WITH! I swear to god, if I see an SSPB with a 2k turret I just might hang up my hat.

PS, set a date for Armageddon. I'll show you AGAIN why turrets aren't necessary.

That was priceless. It goes in my quotes collection.

Falcon, you did a nice job on this. I've got a DTB turret that I've been meaning to add some CPVC barrels to and use missiles on so it would be like a fast grenade/missile launcher.

Have you had any problems with the trigger snapping or do you mainly keep it to fewer than ten pumps?

Thanks.
SexD Warves

#10 l337n3rf3r

l337n3rf3r

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 06:03 PM

All I'm going to say is that Falcon, you are my hero.

P.S. Nice job.

~l337
Wii would like to play with you.

#11 ogopogo

ogopogo

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 10:22 PM

Sorry OMC i could not help my self and its not that i want you to hang up your hat eather. I just saw it as a challenge. Posted Image
It gets like 15 feet and i plan on takeing the turret of. Sorry its ugly i only spent like 5 mins on it.

Also falcon nise use of the at4k.

Edited by ogopogo, 06 January 2007 - 10:23 PM.

#12 TheCheatIsNotDead

TheCheatIsNotDead

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 01:21 AM

Ogopogo...

That wins the internet.

I agree that accuracy is really important in a gun, but damn, that's really cool Falcon. Looks real nice too.

~TCIND
It is impossible to govern a country with 120 different types of cheese.

#13 Falcon

Falcon

Velcro'd Beanpole

• Members
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 02:34 AM

I will kindly take OMC's post in stride. I never claimed that turrets were necessary. However, I like the way that they function, and this functionality seems to fit well with my playing style. To each his own; am I not correct?

For the record, it's not so much a West Coast fascination with turreting, as it is a personal thing. I just like putting 2k turrets on stuff. It's easy, looks incredibly good for something so simple, contains a small air of an intimidation factor, and (even you cannot deny this) is effective. Sure, it's not all that creative. After putting turrets on over ten guns, I know it's nothing all that spectacular anymore. But the actual effectiveness of the guns on the field cannot be denied by anyone.

As for accuracy, I don't deny it. It doesn't matter if you've got that many barrels loaded if you can't hit anything. But I can say, in all honesty, that not a single nerfer I have ever played with (including yourself) can honestly say that I am a bad shot.

So, I make my case, by simply putting out the thought that a turret is simply a rate-of-fire enhancer. I personally would never use a Big Blast with a 4k turret on it. It's just not my thing. I like 2k turrets because they are easy to turn quickly. Thus, with my turreted Splitfire on my crossbow, I could, after using all three shots, then execute a controlled retreat while re-pumping my Splitfire. I don't see why I should get shot because I run out of loaded barrels, if I can help it. If I get hit, it is because I was out maneuvered, or I did not dodge. I would rather it be because of my skills not allowing me to escape the situation, rather than being hindered by my gun. You might say that is also my main reason for liking integrations.

Fair enough?

As for setting a date for Armageddon, talk to Cxwq. But I'll be more than willing to "learn" a few things from you if you were to come out. Especially if you're open to a more mutual "exchange of knowledge" ;)

Good to hear from you, at any rate! Don't forget; I'm still planning on taking you up on that housing offer for Apoc. next August...

Edited by Falcon, 07 January 2007 - 02:50 AM.

----------||||||||)
QUOTE(Ilùvatar @ 0000) View Post
Of the theme that I have declared to you, I will now that ye make in harmony together a Great Music.

#14 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 02:56 AM

Don't forget; I'm still planning on taking you up on that housing offer for Apoc. next August...

Also Dont forget that Forsaken_angel24 will also need housing. I have two people coming with me for sure. The Cardiac Kid and the De-commissioner. The other two are maybes. Big white might do it and Hexen said he would but he tends to sketch out on things.

Edited by Forsaken_angel24, 07 January 2007 - 02:57 AM.

I don't get my kicks out of you,
I don't feel the way I used to do.
I know its bad,
After what we had,
But I’m just not the angel you knew.

#15 Guilo

Guilo

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 03:34 AM

Sorry OMC i could not help my self and its not that i want you to hang up your hat eather. I just saw it as a challenge. Posted Image
It gets like 15 feet and i plan on takeing the turret of. Sorry its ugly i only spent like 5 mins on it.

Also falcon nise use of the at4k.

I love it, fix it up so it works, make it cleaner, and I am gonna have to try that myself. When you get it to work, post a write up.

Guilo

Forgot to say, nice job Falcon, I will have to try this too if it works well.

Edited by Guilo, 07 January 2007 - 03:37 AM.

#16 ogopogo

ogopogo

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 01:55 PM

I love it, fix it up so it works, make it cleaner, and I am gonna have to try that myself. When you get it to work, post a write up.

Guilo

I was a joke man and 15 feets the best its getting. Falcon i might just have to buy on of them key ring thing so i can stick a turret on my sm5k.

Edited by ogopogo, 07 January 2007 - 01:56 PM.

#17 Guilo

Guilo

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 08:08 PM

Guilo

I was a joke man and 15 feets the best its getting. Falcon i might just have to buy on of them key ring thing so i can stick a turret on my sm5k.

Yeah, I know it was a joke, but I am going to work on one of those to see if I can get more range.

Guilo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users