Very hard to initiate prime.

6 replies to this topic

#1 NK3A ProfessionalNoob

NK3A ProfessionalNoob

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 09:34 PM

Hi there Nerfers-
A while ago I removed the AR's and locks from a stock retaliator. The priming stroke became exceptionally difficult to start after a dry-fire, but once started, usually by slamming a moving hand onto the cocking slide, the rest of the priming action would go smoothly. After non dry-fires, the prime was fine.
Recently, I increased the stock spring tension and removed dead space on the plunger. It is also important to note that, while modding this time around, the part of the plunger head that holds on the O-ring broke off. Bad news. Thankfully, Mom got a hot glue gun, which I subsequently used to reglue the O ring back on. Now, every prime is difficult to start, almost as if the blaster was already primed and one of the locks had engaged. However, there are no locks and the blaster is not primed, so that can not be the case.
I thought from checking around that it might be the o-ring jamming itself into the narrowed space at the end of the plunger tube, but the feel when trying to prime isn't like a soft, slow resistance like trying to pull something out of cold molasses. It is more like, as I said earlier, something very hard blocks the prime at the beginning.
Any ideas on what might cause this, and a fix?
Thanks,
fmmmlee.

Edited by NK3A ProfessionalNoob, 15 August 2014 - 09:35 PM.

#2 The2ndBluesBro

The2ndBluesBro

• Members
  • 576 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 11:22 PM

I would start by replacing the hot glue with super glue, epoxy or a similar adhesive. Also make sure everything in the shell is placed correctly.

Nerf, Gaming, knives: https://www.youtube....FjcObRZTl2KReDQ

#3 bum

bum

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 11:04 AM

It's always a good idea to include pictures; help us help you.

I would open it back up (sucks I know) and remove just the spring. Then carefully prime it while it's opened up (make sure parts don't pop out and go flying on ya) andto see if you can figure out if something is not lined up or in the way. Move around any other parts too, blasters can be freakin temperamental.

You could also check how smoothly the plunger head fits inside the new spring. I tried adding some random spring to my Alpha Trooper; it would get all bunched up with the stock spring and was not smooth making priming the blaster suck. Could be similar for you if your spring doesn't fit well.

#4 NK3A ProfessionalNoob

NK3A ProfessionalNoob

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 09:01 PM

It's always a good idea to include pictures; help us help you.

I would open it back up (sucks I know) and remove just the spring. Then carefully prime it while it's opened up (make sure parts don't pop out and go flying on ya) andto see if you can figure out if something is not lined up or in the way. Move around any other parts too, blasters can be freakin temperamental.

You could also check how smoothly the plunger head fits inside the new spring. I tried adding some random spring to my Alpha Trooper; it would get all bunched up with the stock spring and was not smooth making priming the blaster suck. Could be similar for you if your spring doesn't fit well.

I didn't put in a new spring; I just added hot glue to the rear of the plunger to decrease the space the spring could use. This was following a video by griffinmods on Youtube.

#5 xXasskickerXx

xXasskickerXx

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 12:46 AM

Honestly you should just get a rampage (9 the raider was far superior to the recon) up the spring tension with a retaliator spring and call it a day

USER WAS WARNED FOR THIS POST

-kika

#6 Lunas

Lunas

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 07:17 AM

To me it sounds like your plunger needs to be replaced the front edge came off and that is what kept that plunger from getting up over the ridge stop in the piston chamber.

What i would do is grease it up to see if it helps if it solves the issue great if not i would say that you removed too much dead space you could trim down the hot glue slowly until the issue gets fixed.

Just remember that without the AR dry fires are not recommended they will break parts.

#7 jboynerf345

jboynerf345

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 01:48 PM

I think that there is too much friction between the o-ring and the plunger tube. You might have used too much hot glue underneath the O-ring, enlarging it and causing way to much friction. Hot glue is too fat, at least copared to other adhesives, like super-glue. You should probably use super glue like The2ndBlues said, and maybe relube the plunger head and the lunger tube.
Snaps. Snaps. Snaps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users