Photo

using a bladder to expand a tank?

8 replies to this topic

#1 Ekd

Ekd

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 10:45 PM

Has anyone ever tried to expand a tank using a magstrike bladder. If not do you think it's possible.

#2 pop tart

pop tart

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 06:09 AM

Has anyone ever tried to expand a tank using a magstrike bladder. If not do you think it's possible.

You probably could, but it wouldn't be particularly effective. Magstrike bladders are designed to depressurize (unexpand) relatively slowly for the purpose of firing a whole clip of darts. Regular hard tanks release all their air at once (hopefully) and so expanding one with a MS bladder would be rather counterintuitive. It'd be interesting, though- prove me wrong!

#3 Ekd

Ekd

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 08:37 AM

You probably could, but it wouldn't be particularly effective. Magstrike bladders are designed to depressurize (unexpand) relatively slowly for the purpose of firing a whole clip of darts. Regular hard tanks release all their air at once (hopefully) and so expanding one with a MS bladder would be rather counterintuitive. It'd be interesting, though- prove me wrong!

Thanks I'll have try and see how it turns.

#4 Birch

Birch

• Members
  • 181 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 05:57 PM

I think the bladder would actually work quite well. Don't the super overpowered iron man super soakers have a rubber tank? I think it would make more sense to use a hard tank though, as the pressure world probably be higher. Of course you could band the bladder to get higher pressures and a faster release.

It's like a Hurricane ate a Tornado and shat out a Monsoon!!

#5 The lord of fish

The lord of fish

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 12:48 PM

I added half of a Magstrike bladder to an AT3k (here, but the pictures are all long dead). It certainly works well, My assumption is that the added volume coupled with the elasticity of the rubber (which I'm also assuming forces the air out as the bladder is depressurized) helps ranges considerably. Without any sort of tests, I can't confirm which material for a tank extension works. Rubber bladders need a case though, they tear easily under pressure.
Do you think she'll sleep with a panic switch?

#6 Langley

Langley

LGLF - Since 2002

• Administrators
  • 2,997 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 01:39 PM

The primary reason for using a bladder is to maintain steady pressure over time as air is released. They are usually pretty low pressure and the pressure drops off much more slowly as they are used because as the tank contracts the pressure actually increases slightly. If you're expanding the tank on a single shot blaster, you're probably going to want to use a hard tank.

You can poop in my toilet anytime champ.

2016 Nerf War Schedule
Bless you, my son. Now recite 3 New Members Guides and 5 Code of Conducts for your sins.

#7 Ekd

Ekd

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 05:16 PM

I may not have been clear but I was thinking of usin a hard tank and hooking it up to the MS bladder with the pump. That way the air woud be encased in the MS bladder as well as the tank. Hope that clears things up.

#8 pop tart

pop tart

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 09:25 PM

I may not have been clear but I was thinking of usin a hard tank and hooking it up to the MS bladder with the pump. That way the air woud be encased in the MS bladder as well as the tank. Hope that clears things up.

You mean like using the MS bladder as a reservoir of air for the hard tank? That's actually a very interesting idea. You'd need a valve in between them and the pump going to the bladder, with perhaps a secondary trigger for filling the hardtank with air from the bladder and the main trigger for firing. If that's not what you meant, sorry.

#9 Ekd

Ekd

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 09:48 PM

You mean like using the MS bladder as a reservoir of air for the hard tank? That's actually a very interesting idea. You'd need a valve in between them and the pump going to the bladder, with perhaps a secondary trigger for filling the hardtank with air from the bladder and the main trigger for firing. If that's not what you meant, sorry.

It is and I was thinking of using the valve from MS that is between the bladder and the plunger and hookin the hard rank up after the valve.Do you think that will work?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users