Longshot Modification.

An Angel production.

147 replies to this topic

#26 bogboogalars

bogboogalars

• Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 09:19 AM

A turret would be nice for a second shot but really your secondary would have more range than the longshot.

#27 Shadow 92

Shadow 92

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 10:25 AM

Wow, this helps out a lot! I am definitely going to do this as soon as I get some brass. It’s amazing how many problems you fixed by remaking the bolt. And the shot-gunning thing is just pure genius! Three darts with a decent spread! I just have two questions, what’s the point of the tightening rings and where can I get them?

#28 SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

• Members
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 12:01 PM

I just have two questions, what’s the point of the tightening rings and where can I get them?

You just have to make them by crimping the brass slightly at certain points. As far as I know, there's nothing to be bought except for the brass.
The only commonly shared fate among us all is death. I turn to the shadows so that I may not be unfamiliar with hell's corridors when I arrive. - SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

Founder of the Shadow Militia.
Founder of Nightshade Laboratories and The Nightshade Armament Corporation.

#29 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 01:46 PM

Paloose: I like the way the backup gun is a spring. I dont think I will be integrating an AT2K into it.
Could it work? Most likely though. My only beef is that the pump for the AT2K would most likely be external. Who knows I may just do it to my next Longshot.

SHA: A turret would be nice if a person integrated an AT2K into the front guns shell but I have a feeling it would look sloppy no matter how its done. Maybe Falcon can prove me wrong.

LNL king: Anybody can work around that with painting the pump. If someone integrated an entire AT2K into the longshots front gun so that only the black pump handle stuck out the bottom of the front of it then it would be worth it. I like integrations that are almost 100% concealed or they look like they should have been made that way.

Shadow 92: Just pick up a pair of pipe cutters at your local hardware store. Then tighten the pipe cutters on the pipe and go around the pipe for a few circles. If you do too much it will cut the pipe.

Well I found a replacement spring for my longshots second gun and it gets about 5'+ in range now.
I think I acquired this spring from that peice of shit of a transformers gun. Even after heavy modifications to the gun it could only get around 30 feet.
I am currently using a BB sized fishing weight for the darts for the front gun. I will try a single BB for BB guns next as I beleive the weight change will make difference.
I don't get my kicks out of you,
I don't feel the way I used to do.
I know its bad,
After what we had,
But I’m just not the angel you knew.

#30 Retiate

Retiate

• Members
  • 778 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 01:52 PM

Paloose: I like the way the backup gun is a spring. I dont think I will be integrating an AT2K into it.
Could it work? Most likely though. My only beef is that the pump for the AT2K would most likely be external. Who knows I may just do it to my next Longshot.

Would it be possible to make the pump internal then use the grip it already has to pump the gun? It would look a lot cleaner, but it might require cutting down the pump and having more pumps due to a much smaller stroke.

#31 Shadow 92

Shadow 92

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 08:22 PM

I just thought of something. What if instead of where you have the 9/16 with the tightening rings you have 10" of 9/16 with 6" of 17/32 starting where the rings begin? That way you have the full effects of a true progressive barrel with your existing breech.

Here's my ten minute paint drawing of it.
Posted Image
The light gray is the 9/16, the blue is the 17/32, the green is the 1/2 and the other color is the 19/32.

Edited by Shadow 92, 28 January 2007 - 08:24 PM.

#32 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 11:50 PM

Retiate: It is completly possible. But for a back up shot I would prefer if it only took one pump rather than 6-8 pumps for a greater range in a back up shot. Besides I like the fact that this thing is pure springer: I have had some bad experiences with air guns leaking. If you were to integrate the AT2K and worked its pump so when you pump the actual front gun it pumps the AT2K, then you would most likely start to chip the paint because you have to pump hard.

Shadow 92: That should work but I think the 17/32" would be too long. The only problem I can see is the darts jamming because instead of squeezing into the 17/32" brass, the darts would bend at the center and bend outwards of the breech causing the breech to jam. This breech will jam if your darts dont slide into the tightened area. I had two chubbies that jammed like that. Red Fbr is yet to jam.
I know its bad,
After what we had,

#33 TheVeg

TheVeg

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 11:39 AM

Nice, awesome everything. It's like that brass breech that I posted ages ago, but way better. Amazing.
My breech, inpired by Angels 3B

-Veg
Vegetarians into Nerf results in n00bs being shot with carrots.

Captain KLM, founder, modder and dartsmith of the Michigan Nerf Mafia.

#34 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 08:38 PM

Nice, awesome everything. It's like that brass breech that I posted ages ago, but way better. Amazing.
My breech, inpired by Angels 3B

-Veg

Thanks, I never even saw this mod. If I did I probably would have come up with what I did about 2 months sooner. Thats so weird I am usually on here daily and I always click on the "view new posts". I really have no clue how that one slipped past me.
I know its bad,
After what we had,

#35 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 05:39 PM

I re-opened my gun to work a stronger spring into my longshots back up shot.
To protect the paint I slid some felt craft sheet inbetween the longshot and the handle and then pulled out the flathead screwdriver. You should be pulling up on the cocking handle as you pry with a flathead at the same time.
I didn't chip any paint doing it this way.
Posted Image

Here is the stronger spring I added. On the right is the old stock spring.
Posted Image

Now that the stronger spring was in place I wanted to reinforce the nub that has broken off of at least 3 of my mavericks. I took some thin metal sheeting and bent it into shape then Gooped it in place.
Posted Image

I also added this squishy disc washer to the end of the shaft just ahead of the O-ring. I hollowed out the center and attached it with fishing glue. This doesnt act as another O-ring but acts more as some cushioning as the plunger was too small for me to add some foam rubber.
Posted Image

Now lets talk about the clips. I have seen some ugly LS clips after being modded. The plastic looks all white/warped or just plain missing where that glued nub used to be on the clip. The simple solution I have come up is to take a hobby knife or exacto knife and cut along the seam of the clip where the glue is. You may have to run the blade across it 5 or 6 times but its worth it. The picture should help clear things up.
Posted Image
So open your clip and add your rectangular bars to prevent the stefans from jamming in the clip and cut the follower just right. Then when you are done you can put back the two screws and just put a drip of superglue to run down the seam of the clip where the old super glue used to be and you have a clean looking modified clip.
I know its bad,
After what we had,

#36 Dart Attack

Dart Attack

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 07:02 PM

Ranges?

#37 Retiate

Retiate

• Members
  • 778 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 07:14 PM

Nice. What did you do to the clip? You said you made it so stefans wouldn't jam, but they didn't seem to jam at all in the video. Did you do something else?

#38 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 07:37 PM

Dart attack: I never tested the range of the backup shot but with the new spring it gets at least an extra 5-8 feet.

Retiate: My red darts have never jammed but some of my really chubby grey ones have in the breech. I am talking about darts going backwards in the clip and going to far back that they miss the breech opening so the clip system fails. The inventor guys clip mod fixed that but I have been using it all along. It is not new or exciting but I thought I should post how to cleanly open your LS clip without it looking messy.
I know its bad,
After what we had,

#39 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 01:01 PM

I find it easier to use one or two claw hammers to remove the stock bolt handle. Not that I install them anymore... :lol:
The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#40 Whiplord

Whiplord

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 04:33 PM

What tool did you use to make the tightening rings?

#41 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 04:48 PM

What tool did you use to make the tightening rings?

Standard pipe cutters. Just apply the pipe cutter blade to where you want the ring. Then tighten the pipe cutters then go around a few times. If you go too far you will actually cut right through the brass. So take your time on these. I have never unintentionally cut right through so it's not like high risk or anything.
I know its bad,
After what we had,

#42 nube

nube

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 08:15 PM

OK, it seems that the opening in the breech is closer to the front of the gun. I'm about to do this and I was wonderin' if putting the opening near the back would increase range. Thanks.
QUOTE(One Man Clan @ Mar 6 2007, 04:59 AM) View Post

I really should reevaluate my Nerf carreer. I have been ultimated multiple times in a war, shot by a girl with an arced NF, and EMBARASSED by a 6 year old in quidditch on xbox. What am I doing with my life?

#43 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 08:19 PM

It is not worth the extra foot or two to attempt that. I dont think it will work. If you understand the breech and how one thing can affect everything you will see how it will not work.

Edited by Forsaken_angel24, 11 February 2007 - 08:20 PM.

I know its bad,
After what we had,

#44 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 03:37 PM

Well I'm most of the way through making mine. Done entirely without a dremel. Most of the cutting was done using my table saw and then I did finishing work with stone grinding bits in my drillpress.
Posted Image
Posted Image
I glued mine using JB Weld two-part epoxy because it makes insanely strong bonds.
Still some work left to do.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 02 April 2007 - 03:39 PM.

The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#45 Commonly Hunted

Commonly Hunted

• Banned
  • 254 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 08:41 PM

Is this the LS that you keep referring to as the crazy one that you are working on?

Your breech peice looks neater than Angel's but the other peice is clean too.
QUOTE(Pineapple)

Next one who wants to be Michael Jackson, and save the world, gets a trip to Neverland.

Buy Boltsniper's guns!
Borrowed by FoamReaper of Boltsniper Forums.

#46 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 10:28 PM

1. Is this the LS that you keep referring to as the crazy one that you are working on?
2. Your breech piece looks neater than Angel's but the other piece is clean too.

1. Yes. I'll make a thread on it when I'm further along.
2. I have a wide selection of tools and a good deal of practice using all of them.

Edit: I just discovered that for temporary fitting and aligning of the barrel piece you can use 1/2" ID 1/16" diameter o-rings to shim between the brass and the stock barrel and receiver parts. You have to forceably wedge them in place but they provide a solid, yet temporary mount for testing the fit of all of the parts together. It's particularly helpful when gluing the hardpoint on the bolt piece.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 02 April 2007 - 10:53 PM.

#47 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 12:42 AM

For the record I was able to get some measurements that might make this easier.

Distance fomr orange disc to cut 1.09"

For the brass that sits inside the nub that was the bolt.
2" of 9/16" brass.
2" of 17/32" brass that fits inside the 9/16"

The main barrel of 9/16" is cut at the end so 2.25" is a half pipe. This half pipe will be receiveing the darts.
The 19/32" brass that slides over the 2" 9/16" brass is 3.75"
The 1/2" brass that pushes the stefan dart forward into the tightening rings is 4.5 inches.

All these measurements should be fairly accurate. You may need to cut a little bit extra off here and there.
I have more for the longshot but I hope this helps some people for now.

Oh be sure to lube the top half of the half pipe of the main barrel. This helps the sliding of the 19/32" and makes cocking the gun and shotgunning darts alot easier.

Edited by Forsaken_angel24, 17 September 2009 - 11:38 PM.

I know its bad,
After what we had,

#48 Prometheus

Prometheus

• Members
  • 780 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 11:50 AM

Very nice, and yeah, sorry about the PM FA24, I wrongly assumed this would be an add on (edited into) of the original writeup. But this will make everybody's life a lot easier, and a lot less brass will be wasted. Also, I noticed that two 1.3" stefans fit nicely inside the clip, end to end. I fed them into my longshot, and they fed nicely with the stock breech. Do you think there is anyway to lengthen the breech opening, so longer darts/two darts at once can be accepted?

Edited by Prometheus, 06 April 2007 - 11:54 AM.

QUOTE(VACC @ Jan 24 2008, 06:12 AM) View Post
I am NEVER going to sleep naked in the bed of a former child star ever again....seriously

#49 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 12:57 PM

Do you think there is anyway to lengthen the breech opening, so longer darts/two darts at once can be accepted?

No, you are limited by the stroke length of the bolt mechanism itself which is roughly 3-1/2 inches.

#50 Lizard Messiah

Lizard Messiah

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 06:18 PM

This looks great and I may be able to salvage my LS after all. I tried TIG's mod and it didn't work out so well, but I think this'll remedy the situation nicely. I have a question about those tightening rings though. I don't actually have any piping cutters so is it critical to the mod that I have them? Also, I don't have any sophisticated tools for cutting the new bolt. All I have is a hacksaw. Will that work or do I need to go to a friend's house and use something else? Thanks.
A man is scarcely a man without a handkerchief.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users