77 replies to this topic

#51 Griever 2112

Griever 2112

• Members
  • 439 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 07:49 AM

Production models, just waiting on the sleeve liners:

Posted Image

ALso, I am trying to source materials like this for reproduction Ultimator/XXL Bazooka rockets, but the only place I have been able to find them is by special order at about $2 each for just the foam tube, with 150 pieces minimum. If anyone else has seen, in any capacity, foam tubes with about a 2" ID, please let me know.

Looks like they came out very nice... love the one with the smiley face on the tip.

Griever 2112 still plays with his alpha trooper quite often despite owning one of the scariest +bows.

My Youtube Page

#52 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 03:25 PM

Oh, it's on now, bitches.

Posted Image

All material present and accounted for, assembly commences!

First run:

Posted Image
[15:51] <+Noodle> titties
[15:51] <+Rhadamanthys> titties
[15:51] <+jakejagan> titties
[15:51] <+Lucian> boobs
[15:51] <+Gears> titties
[15:51] <@Draconis> Titties.
[15:52] <+Noodle> why is this so hard?

#53 HasreadCoC

HasreadCoC

• Members
  • 274 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 04:12 PM

Whats the difference between the ones with fins on the back, and the ones with fins on the back & front?

I'm the only respectable person here. The rest of the NIC are pretty much just child molesters.

AKA: ObiWonTwo on Nerfrevolution, and most of the rest of the internet for that matter.....

#54 shmmee

shmmee

• Members
  • 467 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 06:03 PM

ALso, I am trying to source materials like this for reproduction Ultimator/XXL Bazooka rockets, but the only place I have been able to find them is by special order at about $2 each for just the foam tube, with 150 pieces minimum. If anyone else has seen, in any capacity, foam tubes with about a 2" ID, please let me know.

I think I remember reading in a much older thread that some pool noodle couplers (they once sold 2' long tubes to join two pool noodles together to build a floating framework) have been used to make ultimator replacement shells.
"and we should respect the people who make our blasters. Even if we do molest the hell out of them..."
~BritNerfMogul

#55 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 06:50 PM

Whats the difference between the ones with fins on the back, and the ones with fins on the back & front?

I have not measured any significant difference in performance. It was mostly me making use of artifacts from the normal fin design.

I think I remember reading in a much older thread that some pool noodle couplers (they once sold 2' long tubes to join two pool noodles together to build a floating framework) have been used to make ultimator replacement shells.

I appreciate that. I was thinking that might work, but 1. I have not been able to locate couplers ANYWHERE this year, and 2. the OD of most noodles is about 2.5", so the couplers may be too large. I have, in the mean time, gotten a lead on at least pipe insulation that should work. From my mom, of all people.

Edited by Draconis, 30 May 2012 - 06:53 PM.

#56 arfink

arfink

• Members
  • 246 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 08:33 PM

Do you mind sharing your source for the smaller 2" diameter stress balls? (skull ones? I think those are about 2" if my eBay search is correct) I have need of some for a project I'm working on, probably at least 25 maybe more.
A2GS + 4 meg RAM + 128 meg CF + 9600 Baud Lantronix = WIN

#57 Buffdaddy

Buffdaddy

Do not buy from this member

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 824 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 11:16 AM

The noodles I mentioned look the right size for Ultimator missiles. Want me to write down info from the crate and send a sample?

#58 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 02:16 PM

Do you mind sharing your source for the smaller 2" diameter stress balls? (skull ones? I think those are about 2" if my eBay search is correct) I have need of some for a project I'm working on, probably at least 25 maybe more.

Currently, Oriental Trading Company @ orientaltrading.com. They are available in a 24ct pack.

The noodles I mentioned look the right size for Ultimator missiles. Want me to write down info from the crate and send a sample?

Yes, absolutely. I don't remember you mentioning any, though.

#59 Buffdaddy

Buffdaddy

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 824 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 11:03 PM

Yes, absolutely. I don't remember you mentioning any, though.

This post!

Edited by Buffdaddy, 31 May 2012 - 11:03 PM.

#60 arfink

arfink

• Members
  • 246 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 01:07 PM

Definitely looking forward to blasting someone with this. How long of a 1" PVC should I be attaching to my titan to fire these?

#61 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 01:12 PM

This post!

Oh good Lord. I remember reading that, so I don't know why I had forgotten so quickly. Thanks!

Definitely looking forward to blasting someone with this. How long of a 1" PVC should I be attaching to my titan to fire these?

Uh... 1" PVC will not work as a barrel. Unless you are talking about 1" rigid tubing for aquariums, which has a 1.00" OD.

Edited by Draconis, 01 June 2012 - 01:14 PM.

#62 arfink

arfink

• Members
  • 246 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 12:57 PM

Then what do I use?

#63 Buffdaddy

Buffdaddy

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 824 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 05:26 PM

Then what do I use?

Unless you are talking about 1" rigid tubing for aquariums, which has a 1.00" OD.

#64 andtheherois

andtheherois

• Banned
  • 821 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 10:13 PM

I may have missed it, but what's the Diameter of the rockets? I recently finished a titan mount for my +bow specifically for these rockets, but may need to adjust measurements so that I can use the rockets without a problem.
The YooToobz
Photobucket

Winning rounds is rewarding, deal with it. We don't play fucking patty cake over here.

#65 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 01:40 AM

The body is 2.5", just shy of 10" total length. The fins are about 1" high.

#66 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 06:19 PM

The first three boxes of rockets have been shipped out. I am still waiting on a piece of tooling I desire for the best finished product for the Titan barrels, but if that doesn't come through soon, I will have to resort to a secondary design. Still works, just not quite as awesome.

#67 Blue

Blue

• Members
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 07:17 PM

The first three boxes of rockets have been shipped out. I am still waiting on a piece of tooling I desire for the best finished product for the Titan barrels, but if that doesn't come through soon, I will have to resort to a secondary design. Still works, just not quite as awesome.

Hey, you don't respond to my pms and you are shipping things out. Can you please pack up my things and put them in a box to go out with the next batch of rockets?

#68 The Nerfaholic

The Nerfaholic

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 08:47 PM

I received my rockets yesterday, One
Two
Three

I don't have something ready to try these with yet, but I like them a lot so far. Over all it seems well weighted and decent. My initial review is happy.
The head feels like half of a stress ball so it may give a pretty hard smack. The body feels like pool noodle with the inside board out and a capped clear pipe (maybe something similar to PETG) with about 1/3" craft foam as fins. It's all pretty solid, and I imagine it will have a long lifespan. I'd buy more.
Roses are red, And violets are blue. One day we'll cruise down Blood Gulch avenue.

#69 arfink

arfink

• Members
  • 246 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 12:04 PM

I also received mine. I hooked up the included length of 1" OD styrene barrel meterial to a stock titan and have gotten OK performance for very little work. Ranges from a rebarreled but otherwise unmodded Titan are roughly 40 feet. I imagine with a pump replacement this would be much more useful to me, and I intend to hook up a bike pump or somesuch in the near future.

For the quality of the rockets, it doesn't get a whole lot better than this. The fins are nice and thick and very solidly attached, and it has enough heft to really pack a punch if I had a blaster powerful enough to really push it.

Something else to note- the plastic sleeve inside doesn't cover the entire length of the noodle, but leaves a 1/2" or so ring of exposed noodle foam at the base of the rocket. This fits more tightly on the barrel, and provides some friction to compensate for the slower airflow of some blasters. If I was putting these on a blaster with a quicker valve type I might shave some of this foam off to reduce friction even more.

Edited by arfink, 12 June 2012 - 12:07 PM.

#70 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 12:56 PM

I also received mine. I hooked up the included length of 1" OD styrene barrel meterial to a stock titan and have gotten OK performance for very little work. Ranges from a rebarreled but otherwise unmodded Titan are roughly 40 feet. I imagine with a pump replacement this would be much more useful to me, and I intend to hook up a bike pump or somesuch in the near future.

Did you cut down the barrel material or leave it the full length? I've also found that the Titan "stock" pressures can vary wildly. My blue one is usually 50-60 feet, where the slightly leaky red one is about five feet less.

For the quality of the rockets, it doesn't get a whole lot better than this. The fins are nice and thick and very solidly attached, and it has enough heft to really pack a punch if I had a blaster powerful enough to really push it.

Glad you like them!

Something else to note- the plastic sleeve inside doesn't cover the entire length of the noodle, but leaves a 1/2" or so ring of exposed noodle foam at the base of the rocket. This fits more tightly on the barrel, and provides some friction to compensate for the slower airflow of some blasters. If I was putting these on a blaster with a quicker valve type I might shave some of this foam off to reduce friction even more.

That was definitely intentional. The low friction of the sleeve will allow the rockets to fall right off of the barrel if you are running around. The extra seal is mostly a bonus there.

#71 arfink

arfink

• Members
  • 246 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 03:37 PM

Did you cut down the barrel material or leave it the full length? I've also found that the Titan "stock" pressures can vary wildly. My blue one is usually 50-60 feet, where the slightly leaky red one is about five feet less.

I haven't really cut anything down yet, other than to remove the black threaded end. It's actually a bit too long ATM, but I have just been testing it. My attachment solution was to slide a chunk of 1" PVC over the barrel, and then stuff that into a short segment of the original threaded barrel part of the titan, securing it into place with several wraps of e-tape. Super ghetto, but it was easy and temporary. I have a special custom-built launcher in the works for these rockets which will be based loosely off the internals of the Mortar Pistol things from China.

#72 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 05:03 PM

I haven't really cut anything down yet, other than to remove the black threaded end. It's actually a bit too long ATM, but I have just been testing it. My attachment solution was to slide a chunk of 1" PVC over the barrel, and then stuff that into a short segment of the original threaded barrel part of the titan, securing it into place with several wraps of e-tape. Super ghetto, but it was easy and temporary. I have a special custom-built launcher in the works for these rockets which will be based loosely off the internals of the Mortar Pistol things from China.

That's pretty awesome news. Also, cutting the barrel down to the minimum will help that range a lot.

#73 SomethingNerfey

SomethingNerfey

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 09:29 PM

Starting to think nerf is really... Really gay. Get some lives people

USER WAS SUSPENDED FOR THIS POST

#74 taerKitty

taerKitty

• Members
  • 883 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 10:06 AM

I don't have something ready to try these with yet, but I like them a lot so far. Over all it seems well weighted and decent.

What's their mass?
Fugly is a feature.

#75 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 11:21 AM

What's their mass?

Depends on the exact style, width of the body, nose, etc. 30-35g typically.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users