Photo

Amtgard

9 replies to this topic

#1 tigger

tigger

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 04:04 PM

Hey I play a boffer game called Amtgard that has safety rules for projectile weapons. I would like to take a nerf gun and convert the ammo to me Amtgard safe.

Bows / crossbows safety
The maximum limit for a bow’s pull is 35 pounds with a maximum 28-
inch draw length. Crossbows are limited to no more than 450 inch-pounds.

I would say the guns fall under crossbow and I don't think they are over 450 inch-pounds.

Arrow
The head needs to be 2.5" in diameter and needs to hit head first (not tumble in flight)

Any suggestions?

#2 LotusNerf

LotusNerf

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 04:17 PM

I don't see why you would want to do this as nerf is air powered and may not be able to shoot AMT projectiles well. Bow/crossbows use tension of the stick or whatever material it is stringed to so it can fire.

If you were going to, I would recommend a pump weapon, so range can be decided for your group you play with. (As in the number of pumps).

#3 One Man Clan

One Man Clan

TOFTS

• Contributors
  • 2,170 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 04:37 PM

What's with all the LARP crap popping up on this board lately?
I hate you.

#4 LotusNerf

LotusNerf

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 04:41 PM

Because they also deal with soft hitting weapons and many people (including me) enjoy both.

#5 willtruncheon

willtruncheon

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 06:24 PM

Hey Tigger,

You might want to try nerf arrows that have the tips bulked out with foam from a pool noodle, to make the striking surface larger. I assume that Amtgard rules don't allow the use of core in projectiles? A modded BBB might look okay, although I have no idea if arrows modded in this way would be too front-heavy to be practical. Do you have your heart set on modding a gun for this purpose? There are some pretty amazing bungee-cord crossbows out there that fire nerf arrows, as well. They look appropriately "period".

QUOTE(One Man Clan @ Apr 27 2009, 05:37 PM)

OMC, Larping is huge. There are more than 500 "business" games in the United States alone, where larping isn't as popular as it is in Europe. At least two full feature-length movies have been made about it for general release in the last few years. It's everywhere, and it naturally coincides with nerf.

#6 Splaser18

Splaser18

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 07:05 PM

Real men play Belegarth.

LAY ON!!!

You want to convert NERF darts to be safe in a foam-fighting boffer game? Don't use a titan. Mission accomplished.

Edit: Aha.. didn't notice you guys use a 2.5 inch rule, too.. you're essentially trying to make Crossbows more viable to use? Good luck with that. That said, there was a post a good while back about a crossbow out of a Nitefinder.. I recently made a very rough replica of Van Helsing's repeating crossbow by just adding some stuff to a Mav. Performs like a Mav, but.. you know. Looks like a crossbow. *shrug*

Edited by Splaser18, 27 April 2009 - 07:08 PM.

- ZeekyBookyDoog, in IRC

#7 OfAllTheNerf

OfAllTheNerf

• Members
  • 714 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 07:05 PM

OMC, Larping is huge. There are more than 500 "business" games in the United States alone, where larping isn't as popular as it is in Europe. At least two full feature-length movies have been made about it for general release in the last few years. It's everywhere, and it naturally coincides with nerf.

As a general rule I wouldn't recommend taking on a condescending air while addressing an Admin. I'm sure OMC knows how big LARPing is etc etc, but yeah, I'm sure he appreciates the information.

And as for bows in Nerf, evertime this stuff comes up I'm always at a loss for why you would use weapons meant for hunting and killing for Nerf. I always looked on it as a game where we take child's toys and make them more enjoyable... Hm don't know about you but I don't want to get shot at by a real bow.

-OfAll'
[color=#FF6600][Finesse]-[BitchX]

#8 willtruncheon

willtruncheon

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 07:37 PM

As a general rule I wouldn't recommend taking on a condescending air while addressing an Admin. I'm sure OMC knows how big LARPing is etc etc, but yeah, I'm sure he appreciates the information.

And as for bows in Nerf, evertime this stuff comes up I'm always at a loss for why you would use weapons meant for hunting and killing for Nerf. I always looked on it as a game where we take child's toys and make them more enjoyable... Hm don't know about you but I don't want to get shot at by a real bow.

-OfAll'

OfAll,

Please don't look for "condescending" where it's not. I'm answering OMC's question, not taking a cheap shot. Believe me, my interests here do not include flaming admins.

Being shot at by a "real" bow using boff/nerf ammo is not a big deal. Safety standards are pretty well-established... most of these games are businesses with liability issues. Bow strength is monitored. Remember, people have been doing this in numbers since 1970something. When it comes to nerf and larp projectiles, I've taken more shots to the face than Elton John in the '80's, with no ill effects. The only injury I've ever heard of from a larp arrow was at a terrible game (now closed) where someone fell on an arrow made from a golf tube and got cut.

#9 tigger

tigger

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 10:43 AM

Hey Tigger,

You might want to try nerf arrows that have the tips bulked out with foam from a pool noodle, to make the striking surface larger. I assume that Amtgard rules don't allow the use of core in projectiles? A modded BBB might look okay, although I have no idea if arrows modded in this way would be too front-heavy to be practical. Do you have your heart set on modding a gun for this purpose? There are some pretty amazing bungee-cord crossbows out there that fire nerf arrows, as well. They look appropriately "period".

In amtgard we allow real arrows with padded heads (only certain materials for the shaft). I was just thinking of the quick fire ability of the nerf guns and the potential of having a spare or 2 loaded and ready in case I get rushed after firing an arrow.

The issue with using real arrow shafts is the expense, the padded heads break down often and need to be redone, the shafts get broken, stepped on and more. I was looking at how inexpensive the nerf darts are and they would be less damaging on the heads so hopefully less maintenance. The only issue is initial design and how to make sure the end with the 2.5" hits the target.

I admit I don't know what a BBB is but I would like to check it out. Amtgard is fantasy based to "period" isn't too big a worry.

I did buy a pump weapon that had large darts and while it is interesting it takes too many pumps to max out and it looses pressure quickly. When I opened it only the plunger was removable the rest was glued in place. I like the idea of a single shot spring/air powered gun for quick load and fire but I don't know if it will work.

Thanks a ton for your replies and suggestions.

#10 Talio

Talio

Not your mother

• Contributors
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 12:19 PM

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that Larp is fucking gay and doesn't have a place on this site.
New posts on my blog, check it out. - Click on the ad too, cause I get money per click. Give back to the Admin team for once!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users