2nd generation Barrel selection

5 replies to this topic

#1 Buffdaddy

Buffdaddy

Do not buy from this member

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 824 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 07:54 AM

After the initial writeups/examples that Cheyner (foremost) and myself made for a homemade barrel selector, I realized that there were still a few limitations to our design. Yes, we could select one barrel or another on the fly. But what if you wanted one barrel to be in straight line with your plunger tube, like the Fomebow? Our designs couldn't do that. What if you have a higher-powered gun and, instead of shotgunning it, wanted to instead use multiple hopper clips? Our designs couldn't choose both barrels at the same time.

Last week, I had an epiphany working in my lab. We use stopcocks in our small setups all the time, I had just never thought about adapting them for Nerf. In case you didn't know, a stopc-ck allows you to line up any 2 OR 3 lines off of it, with one side sealed off. It also means that, for Nerfing purposes, any of the three sides can be your air input, not just the middle hole. It's also extremely easy to make, as it turns out.

Materials:
1.5" PVC
2" PVC
craft foam
Amazing Goop
.5" CPVC tee
Hot glue/solvent weld (Hot glue seems strong enough, though)

Cut out 1" lengths of both PVC sizes. They should fit into one another with a bit of wiggle room to spare, right? If not, you need to check your PVC again and make sure you have the right diameters. :P Anyhow, cut craft foam to the needed width and length to wrap around the inside of the 2" PVC. Spread your goop very evenly around the inside of your 2" PVC, and put your craft foam in place. Now put the 1.5" PVC inside the craft foam (NOT glued to it, mind you) to compress it and hold it in place. Let it cure.
Posted Image

After everything is dry, take your pieces and drill 5/8" holes at the 0, 90, and 180 degree positions. Remove shavings, and then remove your 1.5" PVC piece. Cut down the CPVC tee until it fits inside, and then glue/solvent weld in place.
Posted Image

And that is it, you have an airtight stopcock! You can add a handle of your choice to it to let you turn it easier, and you can make flat pieces to cover either side of the stopcock. Although to keep with standards, I'd suggest having the handle arm face the direction without a hole; much easier on your head.

Feel free to glue/solvent weld PVC around the rim as needed for your particular situation.

Edited by Buffdaddy, 17 August 2010 - 11:27 AM.

#2 Carbon

Carbon

Contriberator

• Moderators
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 11:01 AM

There's no filter, you can say stopcock. There's far, far more important things to filter out around here.

Anyway, nice job. Did you have any plans on how to direct/connect the fittings or tubing to the holes once you've redirected it?
Hello. I am Indigo of the Rainbow Clan. You Nerfed my father. Prepare to die.

#3 roboman

roboman

• Members
  • 489 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 11:31 AM

To take any "guesswork" out of selecting a barrel, you could add a ball plunger to the design, which would index the stopcock. That way, you simply rotate the stopcock until it "clicks" into place, and you don't have to worry about aligning the holes.

Edited by roboman, 17 August 2010 - 11:31 AM.

Youtube

LS and Retaliator boltsleds are currently available at https://www.facebook.com/RoboM8/

#4 Buffdaddy

Buffdaddy

Do not buy from this member

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 824 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 11:34 AM

There's no filter, you can say stopcock. There's far, far more important things to filter out around here.

Anyway, nice job. Did you have any plans on how to direct/connect the fittings or tubing to the holes once you've redirected it?

Ok, changed that. When talking with some of the guys on the Canadian forums about this idea earlier, it initially filtered that out for "OMG immature person how dare you!" Other than the two most common filters, which allow the sentence "eat shit, Effeminate loser", I didn't know what to expect.

Right now, the only plan is to solvent weld 1/2" PVC pipe or couplers onto each hole, but that depends on which blaster I eventually put this on. I left that open-ended since I hadn't decided.

To take any "guesswork" out of selecting a barrel, you could add a ball plunger to the design, which would index the stopcock. That way, you simply rotate the stopcock until it "clicks" into place, and you don't have to worry about aligning the holes.

I thought about that, but decided against it. The holes are wide enough that I figure if you're anywhere close to lined up, you should be good. Depending on how well it works, though, I may consider that option.

Edited by Buffdaddy, 17 August 2010 - 11:40 AM.

#5 cheyner

cheyner

• Members
  • 240 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 12:15 PM

I knew I should have started to work on this when you first mentioned it. Great work BuffDaddy, you have been on a roll this summer.

Beaver's post claiming Kane's post claiming Demon Lord's post is correct is correct is correct.

Canadian Nerfers-R.I.P.

#6 TheRedRanger

TheRedRanger

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 12:23 PM

For a slimmer profile/less deadspace, 1.25" pvc and 1" pvc also have a "wiggle room" fit.

Great job, by the way.
Looking for other MA nerfers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users