Easier To Make Doomsayer Turret

Save a lot of time!

14 replies to this topic

#1 slowguitarman

slowguitarman

• Members
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 03:11 PM

So, I made my first Doomsayer at Christmas, and I recently had a kinda big problem. One of the barrels somehow scooted forward, and the etape curled under it, so I had to cut that out to be able to load the barrel, but because of all the goop and stuff, I couldn't get the barrel to move back without horribly damaging it. Since everything was gooped together, I destroyed most of the turret to get it apart, so I had to make a new one. This writeup gives a much easier way to put the tape on each barrel.

Instead of putting the tape around the bottom first, put the tape on the top first. The tape will go on about 7.2cm from the bottom of the barrel to the bottom of the tape, as so:
Posted Image

Next you need to put that barrel through the old barrel, and push it in as far as you can without too much effort:
Posted Image

Next, you wrap tape around the part of the barrel that is sticking out of the bottom of the turret. This tape can be right next to the edge of the barrel, but because of what happened last time, I moved it up about 1/8":
Posted Image

After that, just push the barrel back up to where the top tape is slightly sticking out of the top of the original barrel and repeat 11 times. This is much easier because forsaken originally put the bottom tape on before the top. That meant that you had to wrap tape through the barrels, which was quite time-consuming, especially for the final barrel. Here is also a pic of what is going in the middle of my Domsayer turret, and there are more pics and more info in my Domsayer thread, which I will update shortly.

Posted Image
Your dreams were tight like a baby

SGM's Shred Shop -Mod Service

NerfHaven's resident drama queen.

#2 Echnalaid

Echnalaid

• Members
  • 981 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 04:31 PM

Will you be selling those spacers?
There was something on the bottom of the ad that said erotyka. Sounds like something spicy -Renegademilitia15

#3 slowguitarman

slowguitarman

• Members
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 04:42 PM

Will you be selling those spacers?

Yeah, if anyone wants one, I'd be willing to sell them one, but they aren't perfect, just so you know.

#4 Banshee

Banshee

• Members
  • 668 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 05:04 PM

You should do a clip mod like the one for the RF20 for the ERTL gun. I'm pretty sure no one has yet.
Like my page on Facebook! PM me, I do commissions!

#5 ElementOfNguyen

ElementOfNguyen

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 05:18 PM

You should do a clip mod like the one for the RF20 for the ERTL gun. I'm pretty sure no one has yet.

Wouldn't that ruin the point of rear loading?

#6 Glint

Glint

• Members
  • 315 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 05:24 PM

So you didn't use any adhesive to make sure the barrel(s) stayed in place?

This has spiraled beyond uselessness into utterly stupidy.
- VACC
Read it again until you figure it out.

#7 slowguitarman

slowguitarman

• Members
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 05:52 PM

Wouldn't that ruin the point of rear loading?

Yes, it would ruin the point of rear loading. Plus, why would anyone want to carry around a bunch of extra turrets? They're huge.

So you didn't use any adhesive to make sure the barrel(s) stayed in place?

On this turret, no, but the way they're in there, I don't think they'll move. If it seems to be a problem, I'll just put some goop on them. I hope I don't have to do that though because it is almost impossible to take apart once it's together.

#8 diamondbacknf1626

diamondbacknf1626

• Members
  • 835 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 06:22 PM

Excellent concept for applying the electrical tape so that you don't have to interfear with the other barrels. However, I found another method which still uses Angel's concept. After you put the tape around the bottom of the barrel and slide it up in the turret, place the edge of the electrical tape on the PETG, and all you have to then do is rotate the barrel, and the tape will spin around it and wrap it up. Then you can continue with the rest of the process. I do like this method though, and I'm definiely trying it out. It seems much easier than the original.

Edited by diamondbacknf1626, 04 February 2009 - 06:23 PM.

#9 slowguitarman

slowguitarman

• Members
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 06:31 PM

Excellent concept for applying the electrical tape so that you don't have to interfear with the other barrels. However, I found another method which still uses Angel's concept. After you put the tape around the bottom of the barrel and slide it up in the turret, place the edge of the electrical tape on the PETG, and all you have to then do is rotate the barrel, and the tape will spin around it and wrap it up. Then you can continue with the rest of the process. I do like this method though, and I'm definiely trying it out. It seems much easier than the original.

I tried doing that on my original turret, but it was kinda hard to do since the barrel had to be pulled up as far as possible, making it hard to rotate and get the tape in the right spot. This method eliminates all of those problems, and the last barrel is just as easy as the first.

#10 diamondbacknf1626

diamondbacknf1626

• Members
  • 835 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 06:50 PM

I tried doing that on my original turret, but it was kinda hard to do since the barrel had to be pulled up as far as possible, making it hard to rotate and get the tape in the right spot. This method eliminates all of those problems, and the last barrel is just as easy as the first.

Yeah, that's the one problem with the method I'm using. I'm defitely trying yours. Do you think it will still be air tight without gluing the barrels in? Plus, I'm halfway through, so I may undo those.

#11 slowguitarman

slowguitarman

• Members
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 08:25 PM

Yeah, that's the one problem with the method I'm using. I'm defitely trying yours. Do you think it will still be air tight without gluing the barrels in? Plus, I'm halfway through, so I may undo those.

First, if you have anymore questions, pm me, so it doesn't get too much back and forth between us. Anyway, I'm not sure, but it seems to be firing nicely inside my apartment, so I am going to guess that it's pretty good.

#12 Drew is nerfing

Drew is nerfing

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 08:52 PM

I have a question. It seems EVERYONE is doing doomsayer mods with PETG. I know that one guy did it with cpvc...so, my question is, will cpvc work/work as well as PETG? what is the difference? because I have about 10 feet of cpvc at my house, and my friend has a stock ertl rapid fire shotgun, so I might just buy/trade it off of him and try a doomsayer mod, and I really don't want to buy a ton of PETG when I already have all that cpvc...

#13 The Nerf Devil

The Nerf Devil

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 08:54 PM

slowguitarman is there any chance of templates for the barrel spacers?

Edited by The_Nerf_Devil, 05 February 2009 - 08:54 PM.

It's funny looking through things you said years ago, you realize how much of an ass you came off as sometimes.

#14 slowguitarman

slowguitarman

• Members
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 09:21 PM

I have a question. It seems EVERYONE is doing doomsayer mods with PETG. I know that one guy did it with cpvc...so, my question is, will cpvc work/work as well as PETG? what is the difference? because I have about 10 feet of cpvc at my house, and my friend has a stock ertl rapid fire shotgun, so I might just buy/trade it off of him and try a doomsayer mod, and I really don't want to buy a ton of PETG when I already have all that cpvc...

As Bob said, it depends on what your darts will fit. If you have to use cpvc, then use it for your darts, but I can see this mod being considerably harder if you use cpvc because it is so much thicker than petg. Also, petg is $11 for enough to do the turret, which is worth it, in my opinion.

Possibly, but it would be just as easy for you to just make one. The spacer I made was done really quickly, and I may or may not make a new one. This one was basically eye-balled for cutting and drilling, and while it is pretty darn good for the tiny amount of effort, it is not perfect by any means, so if I made a template from it, it would be off.

#15 The Nerf Devil

The Nerf Devil

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 05:46 PM

Possibly, but it would be just as easy for you to just make one. The spacer I made was done really quickly, and I may or may not make a new one. This one was basically eye-balled for cutting and drilling, and while it is pretty darn good for the tiny amount of effort, it is not perfect by any means, so if I made a template from it, it would be off.

Ok thanks, I guess the best way would be to use a program that allows you to create templates and some basic measuring.

Edited by The_Nerf_Devil, 06 February 2009 - 05:48 PM.

It's funny looking through things you said years ago, you realize how much of an ass you came off as sometimes.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users