The Summer Influx Of Newcomers

and what not to do

10 replies to this topic

#1 Jergling

Jergling

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 02:54 PM

Ok, this is my once a month post, as I try to limit my forum use to avoid addiction (yes, it's happened to me).

The summer is obviously the perfect time to start nerfing, thus the influx of new members by the thousands. I probably joined at the wrong time, when "prey" for angry members to flame about was scarce, and I consider myself quite the whatsit magnet. Still, there are now about 5 posts saying "Hi, I'm a noob" on the forum, and, being a noob once myself, I would like to contribute some vital knowledge beyond the code of conduct.

For one (I don't want to backseat moderate, that's not the purpose of this post) don't post a "hi, I'm here and I'm a noob" message, that was practically what my Cheapest Homemade Ever! topic was, and if you'll read it, you can see why no good comes of that. Don't start a flame war.

Learn your superiors: this should come naturally, but don't TRY to create trouble. For instance it would be a BAD idea to flame at Pineapple or Groove. Don't

With all those "don't"s you're probably wonder what you should do. You should (to at a minimum avoid being banned)

1. Post reasonable topics
2. Make sense
3. Actually read the Code of Conduct (I didn't, and man did I screw up)

Again, this is a post for the newcomers from someone who really wrecked his account in the start. I'm not trying to backseat moderate, just save people from making a bad first impression, and negatively reinforcing-so don't do what I did, noobs.
Save the NOOB, now declared an indangered species by the department of the redundancy department!

#2 Guest_DarkInfection_*

Guest_DarkInfection_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 April 2007 - 07:39 PM

I guess I can second what he said about learning your superiors, I got muted for a week over at NHQ because I flamed NerfMonkey. I probably would have been banned over here if I had posted that. So I won't be flaming anyone anytime soon... unless I am provoked, and even then whats the use of yelling at someone on the internet?

#3 Robonerfer1

Robonerfer1

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 07:41 PM

Good article, I know it would help me if I was still a Real n00b.
XBL GT: XPwNaGexDuDex12 add me
QUOTE(OfAllTheNerf @ Mar 29 2008, 04:11 PM) View Post

Yeah, it also helps if your nuts are made of steel. Or atleast as hard as steel, to ensure that you can shoot far enough.

#4 SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

• Members
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 09:42 PM

For one (I don't want to backseat moderate, that's not the purpose of this post) don't post a "hi, I'm here and I'm a noob" message, that was practically what my Cheapest Homemade Ever! topic was, and if you'll read it, you can see why no good comes of that. Don't start a flame war.

I don't know what the hell I was doing that day. Nobody deserved that. It's a personality flaw I need to fix.

A side-note: There is also a slight problem with OMC's recent mass-validations. Those who are completely new to the Haven, take the time to look around the forum first. This will let you get familiarized with our system, and help everyone avoid problems with posting habits, pointless ideas, or flaming.

Edited by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA, 29 April 2007 - 09:42 PM.

The only commonly shared fate among us all is death. I turn to the shadows so that I may not be unfamiliar with hell's corridors when I arrive. - SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

Founder of the Shadow Militia.
Founder of Nightshade Laboratories and The Nightshade Armament Corporation.

#5 Groove

Groove

Certified Badass

• Founders
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 11:03 PM

...So I won't be flaming anyone anytime soon... unless I am provoked, and even then whats the use of yelling at someone on the internet?

A valid point. And since I rarely get to use this picture anymore, I thought I'd post it.

Posted Image

Arguments on here are as rare as they are especially funny to witness. It's like watching two kids fighting at the sandbox over a Power Rangers toy. Provoking the wrath of an Ambassador or Founder will just lead to a 9999 special. Flame wars and causing trouble can mostly be avoided if you just simply follow the board rules, use common sense, and basically just heed the advice that Jergling just provided. Good bit of info for the newcomers.

Wise man always say, "Arguing on the internet is like winning the Special Olympics. Even if you win you're still retarded."

-Groove

"Too close for missiles, I'm switchin' to guns"

#6 Rambo

Rambo

Fear the Robble...

• Members
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 09:49 AM

You fuckin' twat.

(We're done)

Edited by One Man Clan, 01 May 2007 - 07:53 PM.

#7 Jergling

Jergling

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 03:35 PM

Ok, well, I see that some of the even newer members didn't read this (a few more "Hi, I'm a noob" posts, but oh well, thanks for reading anyway.

Other than that, what were you saying, Rambo? I didn't get any of that, something about OMC... maybe that picture?

I honestly don't know. Please tell me that wasn't something against my post.

Oh, and besides that, I don't think I ever more than implied/PMed this: The post in The Cheapest homemade ever about me quitting the forums was an outburst of disease induced deleria. If anyone is mad at me about that, I didn't mean it, nor do I really have any idea why I posted it.

Pneumonia really sucks.

Edited by Jergling, 01 May 2007 - 03:40 PM.

Save the NOOB, now declared an indangered species by the department of the redundancy department!

#8 PREDATOR

PREDATOR

• Members
  • 245 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 03:41 PM

Wise man always say, "Arguing on the internet is like winning the Special Olympics. Even if you win you're still retarded."
-Groove

Did you make that up yourself? That's good.

Edited by PREDATOR, 01 May 2007 - 05:02 PM.

QUOTE(Groove @ Apr 29 2007, 11:03 PM) View Post

-Groove

#9 Gengar003

Gengar003

• Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 03:59 PM

Unlikely. This is the image traditionally assosciated with it.

Posted Image
I bought Kohls.com's last two AirTech 2000s.

#10 Groove

Groove

Certified Badass

• Founders
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 04:52 PM

Other than that, what were you saying, Rambo? I didn't get any of that, something about OMC... maybe that picture?

I honestly don't know. Please tell me that wasn't something against my post.

No, he was referring to the picture I posted. I don't think he's that fond of that particular picture, which is why I have to use it every once in a while. It's just a little friendly banter. OMC edited his post and thus RAMBO did not type that last bit out. You did nothing wrong, rest assured.

It's an old proverb on the intarwebs, I can't take any credit for it.

Makes for good signature material, though.

-Groove

"Too close for missiles, I'm switchin' to guns"

#11 PREDATOR

PREDATOR

• Members
  • 245 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 05:03 PM

It's an old proverb on the intarwebs, I can't take any credit for it.

Makes for good signature material, though.

-Groove

Sure does. *points to sig*

Edited by PREDATOR, 01 May 2007 - 05:04 PM.

QUOTE(Groove @ Apr 29 2007, 11:03 PM) View Post

-Groove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users