Ambience 327's Content

There have been 511 items by Ambience 327 (Search limited from 04-December 96)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#310496 Modification and Paintjob Pictures

Posted by Ambience 327 on 01 February 2012 - 10:02 AM in Modifications

Here is my modded Buzzbee Flintlock:

Posted Image

The write-up can be found right here.

Cost: $10.88 ($8.99 blaster, $1.54 springs, $0.25, $0.10 worth of Goop)

Time: Roughly 1.5 hours

Stock Ranges: 17'-22' (19' average)

Mods Done:
barrel replacement (CPVC endcap "coupler" for CPVC speed loaders)
spring addition
catch spring replacement

Modded Ranges:
Stock Darts: 25'-30' (27' average)
Slug Darts: 30'-35' (32' average)

#316077 Modification and Paintjob Pictures

Posted by Ambience 327 on 24 May 2012 - 10:02 AM in Modifications

Finished a BBB for my nephew, so he will have a solid backup primary for Cataclysm.

The plunger section is untouched - all mods are located in the pump-handle section of the blaster. It has a CPVC endcap (with a hole drilled in the back) attached to the front where the old barrel used to be. This allows the use of any type of barrel setup we want - single, speed loader, RSCB, etc. I also jammed a stub of CPVC into the rear of the old barrel, allowing the BBB to still fire the arrows it came with. Currently it is sporting an RSCB with a 9-inch clip.

Attached to the left side is the Nerf blaster portion of a Switch Shot WII controller. This one also features a CPVC endcap where the barrel used to be. This is added internally for almost zero dead space. The catch has a piece of plastic rod attached to it, with a "thumb plate" of epoxy putty at the bottom. It can be fired by reaching your thumb up from the pump-handle, pressing the catch up.

Posted Image

One issue I ran into when using an RSCB was the fact that the orange plunger cap is free-turning, which left the RSCB to drop down onto your hand while in use. To solve this, I grabbed a piece of PVC from an old laundry sorter which had a head similar to the end of PVC conduit (flared to the point where it fits PVC inside like a built-in coupler). I cut off the end and trimmed it to make a clip for the RSCB to hold it in place.

Posted Image

You can see the clip for the RSCB a bit better in this image.

Posted Image

#318803 Modification and Paintjob Pictures

Posted by Ambience 327 on 19 July 2012 - 01:23 PM in Modifications

So I finally got around to customizing the PumpSnap I commissioned from Phoenix66.

Totally freehand (and the flaws are less noticeable when you aren't zoomed-in with a camera!) I am fairly pleased with it. :D

Posted Image

#321929 Modification and Paintjob Pictures

Posted by Ambience 327 on 23 September 2012 - 08:01 PM in Modifications

Got my hands on a Panther. These things are absolute beasts, especially considering the $5 price tag. Less than an hour's work, and a day's drying (for the Goop and the epoxy putty) and it was ready to rock. The pump is untouched - i.e. stock OPRV - and is fully capable of firing the last shot from my RSCB and from my PumpSnap's hopper at decent ranges. I haven't measured, but the last shot is hitting at least 40' flat.

The most important mod I did, though, was the pump handle, which is just some CPVC (drilled out a bit to fit the pump shaft) and an elbow. Much easier to pump now.

Posted Image

Obviously, it is hitting even better ranges with a single barrel - clearing my entire back yard. (I really should measure it sometime for better range estimates.)

Posted Image

Aside from the basics of cutting off the original barrel and shaving down the shell to fit, I also filled some of the dead space in the coupler area with epoxy putty.

Posted Image

#277786 Homemades Picture Thread

Posted by Ambience 327 on 15 June 2010 - 08:08 AM in Homemades

The clip is roughly 7-8' long from eye-balling it. I haven't actually measured the clip at all, but I can get roughly 60-70 darts in the clip.

Wow, that is already an impressive number of darts. Loops are deceptive, it doesn't look nearly that long in the pic. If you doubled that (120-140 darts), I think you could easily spend a whole round without reloading. I hereby declare that you are always on my team if you are wielding a blaster with this form of clip... :D

#271378 Homemades Picture Thread

Posted by Ambience 327 on 05 April 2010 - 09:45 AM in Homemades

Sweet new rockets I found at TRU. It comes with a shitty push pull gun, but it works awesome on a 4B. 80' flat and very far angled.

Posted Image

You forgot to mention that the sweet whistle they emit in flight. I have four of those push-pull rocket launchers, had them for years. They used to be available at Wal-Mart too, though I haven't seen them there in a while. I've converted one of the push-pull parts to a dart shooter, and it gets fairly decent range for very little effort (either modding or pushing), and of course the range goes up the faster you push (though accuracy drops a bit).

#277697 Homemades Picture Thread

Posted by Ambience 327 on 14 June 2010 - 07:30 AM in Homemades

That is both crazy and awesome at the same time Ryan. The check valve at the end is an awesome idea, and of course allows you to easily load a few darts at a time while you move, wiithout having to remove and end cap, turn a ball valve, or otherwise affect your ability to fire when you need to. How many darts (and at what length) are you getting to fit in the loops?

Since you say it is very easy to blow the darts through, would it be possible/practical to add another loop or two? What I'm thinking here is that if you can get enough darts in there to last a whole round (at least with semi-conservatiive shooting) there would be less reloading time - which I know isn't exactly your favorite aspect of hoppes/HAMPs. It would probably start to require a bit of support for the feeder as more flexpvc would start to add additional weight, but it might be worth the extra bulk. Just a thought.

#151129 The Vulcan

Posted by Ambience 327 on 14 April 2008 - 02:24 PM in General Nerf

and shoots a new form of DtD without the velcro on it, possibly hailing back to the old megas that the DT3 used, just with a DtG Tip

Actually, I'm fairly certain that it fires Sonic Micros - you know, the ones that whistle when you fire them out of anything with sufficient power (i.e. isn't stock). :lol:

To quote Gizmodo's article:

N-STRIKE VULCAN EBF-25
(Ages 6 years & up/Approximate Retail Price: $39.99/Available: Fall 2008)
The top-of-the-line blaster for mission supremacy, the NERF N-STRIKE VULCAN EBF-25 blaster is a 25-dart belt-fed fully automatic blaster that will intimidate any opponent. This impressive blaster comes complete with a fold-up tripod to steady your aim, 25 sonic micro darts that whistle through the air when launched and a 25-dart belt. The NERF N-STRIKE VULCAN EBF-25 blaster features the Tactical Rail System allowing players to customize their blaster for each mission - for example, players can use the green 'night vision' Tactical Light accessory (sold separately) for nighttime missions. Six "D" batteries are required but not included.

#161066 The Vulcan

Posted by Ambience 327 on 01 July 2008 - 08:56 AM in General Nerf

4. To contradict my previous statement, the kid on the extra ammo pack has the chains connected over his shoulder. HOWEVER there is a little dead space between the two chains, leading me to believe that the chains are not directly connected.

Actually, if you look closer it appears that the "dead space" you mention is actually the sling from the gun passing over the chain. However, I count less than 25 shells in the area of the chain shown on him, so it is possibel that it is only a single chain, with very little hanging over his back, just for show on the pic.

It would definately be nice if the chains would connect without needing to mod them, but we'll just have to wait and see.

#141237 The Vulcan

Posted by Ambience 327 on 19 February 2008 - 09:19 AM in General Nerf

That "white dart with black tip" could just be a normal orange dart with a blue tip - under very bright lights/flash. Dart foam is rather shiny, and could easily reflect more light that the plastic - enough to wash out the orange color we would easily recognize, and provide a stark contrast that would make the blue tip look black. (Look how the Sonics look - almost a light grey.) There does seem to be quite a lot of light bouncing off that sign in the background, so this could conceivably be just an orange dart.

Also, they look a lot more orange than white on the packaging in the image.

(I'm a bit of an amateur videographer, my wife would say more of a video-nut, so lighting issues like this appears to be just pop out at me sometimes.)

#144004 The Vulcan

Posted by Ambience 327 on 05 March 2008 - 04:25 PM in General Nerf

Dont's bother. We probably won't see the Vulcan until Fall (which means mid-late summer). Confirmed by a friend at Hasbro.

Yeah...well.....I had sex with Hasbro's mother, and..and she said she had a vulcan in her bedroom!

Then she pointed at my crotch and I reallized that I had seriously misread the situation. Seriously, just wait for the fucking thing. The alternatives are not pleasant.

Umm....live long and prosper? :)

#164390 The Vulcan: Internals And Mods! New Mods Pg.9!

Posted by Ambience 327 on 25 July 2008 - 10:24 AM in Modifications

Here's my question - what happens, both stock and modified - when the belt advances to one of the endcaps? Does the thing dry-fire, or is there something to prevent that?

Does it not fire when it hits the end of the chain when stock?

Does it skip firing when it hits the middle "end cap" in the chain when you use it with the modified chain?

Details, man. We need more details! It will never be enough!!! :D

#164425 The Vulcan: Internals And Mods! New Mods Pg.9!

Posted by Ambience 327 on 25 July 2008 - 01:47 PM in Modifications

Seriously, I already addressed this. It works just fine. It lines it up, shoots air into it, and moves on. It treats it the same as every other shell.

Well, you had addressed it by saying it worked fine. I wanted particulars as to what it actually did. This information you have now provided. Thanks. :D

(It matters to me as it might make a difference in what kind pf chain-joining mods are preferred. Yours is quick and easy, but it puts a blank shot after every 25 links - that would be like leaving one slot in your RF20 or Magstrike unloaded - i.e. that shot wouldn't do anything, but it would still be part of the firing process, slowing overall ROF - not much, but still.)

#216437 New Raider CS-35 Speculation Thread

Posted by Ambience 327 on 05 March 2009 - 10:12 AM in General Nerf

A lot of it depends on which takes up more space, one of these drums or six standard magazines.

It isn't quite that simple. Keep in mind that the six standard mags can be placed in different pockets/pouches/etc., while a single 35-round drum mag would be placed in a single location. Even if the six standard mags have more total volume, you could keep each of them in a seperate pocket in a pair of cargo pants without hampering your mobility too much, but I doubt you'd be able to fit the drum mag in any but the most ridiculously large pockets. Chances are, if you wanted to carry extra drums, you'd need a backpack or some kind of dedicated container - or attach a good belt clip to the drum. In either case, you'd probably notice it a bit more than the standard mags.

#151806 How Many Guns Do You Have In Your Arsenal?

Posted by Ambience 327 on 18 April 2008 - 07:45 AM in General Nerf

My current personal arsenal includes:

NERF

- 4 Mavericks (ar's removed)
- 2 Nite Finders (awaiting mod)
- 2 Airtech 2000's (awaiting mod)
- 2 Secret Stikes (awaiting mod/integration)
- 2 Recons (stock)
- 1 Longshot (stock)
- 1 Firefly (WIP)
- 1 NB-1 Missile Blaster (nostalgic E-Bay purchase, because my brother and I had a pair when we were just wee little guys)

BUZZ BEE

- 2 Double Shots (both broken, working on repairs)

TOTAL X-STREAM AIR

- 4 Air Rockets (THESE THINGS) *

My church's youth group has its own arsenal (paid for by the YG's funds), which is suplemented by my guns when we play. Currently, all of these guns are stock.

NERF

- 20 (yes, 20!) SuperMaxx 250's **
- 2 Mavericks
- 1 Nite Finder
- 2 MagStrikes
- 1 Rapid Fire 20

LANARD

- 1 First Shot

BUZZ BEE

- 1 Mech Tommy 20

* We use these mostly in scenario play as rocket launchers. In our rules, ricochet darts do not count as hits, it has to be a direct hit. These rockets, on the other hand, are deadly until the stop moving. They also are the only weapon capable of damaging targets in an "Objective Assault" game type we play, where the targets are boxes with holes cut in them, with the holes then covered with tissue paper - only a rocket which breaks the tissue paper counts as a hit on the target. Quite fun, but not very accurate weapons. They are, however, the longest-ranged weapons we use. (This is because a hit from these things even at point-blank range doesn't hurt unless it hits you in the eye!) I made a pair holsters for these which hold one launcher and two missles each - this makes them a bit easier to carry around, and therefore more likely to be used when we're in the mood.

** These were the first Nerf guns the youth group purchased, many years ago. Prior to these, we used single-shot dart guns of the type that have plastic-shafted, suction-cup darts where the act of pushing the dart in cocked the gun. Most of the SM250's are still operational, despite years of play. Half a dozen don't want to cock anymore, so when I have the time I have volunteered to open them up and see if I can fix them.

#169387 My Pump Action Longshot

Posted by Ambience 327 on 15 August 2008 - 09:47 AM in Modifications

Try not to post in topics that are over a month old unless you have something significant to add to the topic - and even then do so sparingly and because the world really needs to know. The last post in this was over a year ago (and was also a necro like yours). You can easily PM the original poster for this kind of question. (SPU-Nerf is still active on these forums.)

As I see this is your first post, please take a look at the Code of Conduct - you'll find a link in the upper left-hand corner of your screen. The mods here are not very tolerant of people who don't follow it. Read it, live by it, and you'll enjoy your stay here (plus you won't get banned.)

As for your question, you can buy real gun straps at any sporting goods store, and most department stores with a decent sporting goods section. You can make your own from various materials (including belts, leather straps, backpack straps, fabric, etc.)

#180624 Avatars

Posted by Ambience 327 on 30 September 2008 - 12:04 PM in Site Feedback

Well, my respect for one Mr. VACC just went up another notch. (Even if you don't like CP - the fact that you recognize him is good enough for me. Most people I talk to respond with things like "You mean Captain Planet?")

#180637 Avatars

Posted by Ambience 327 on 30 September 2008 - 01:35 PM in Site Feedback

My parents claim to have video footage of myself in my captain power vest with my captain power standard issue firearm, expounding upon the principles of the captain power doctrine. Their threats are empty. They're just jealous. Everybody is. I was fucking adorable.

VACC

LOL - I had a fair-sized collection of the action figures and ships - not to mention the majority of the episodes on VHS tape. I used to spend hours in front of the TV with my Powerjet or Phantom Striker (sometimes alone, sometimes with one of my brothers or cousins) blasting away at the targets on the Biomechs, Biodreads, etc. Now, as a grown-up, I get to relive some of that as I've re-collected a lot of things using EBay, and gotten my hands on a semi-authorized DVD collection of the complete series. (If anyone wants info on this, shoot me a PM.) Unfortunately, the light-gun aspects of the toys don't work with my LCD TV, so I'd have to hook my DVD player up to my little 13" CRT if I wanted to re-live the battles of my youth.

In closing, let me just say...

...POWER ON! -_-

#180611 Avatars

Posted by Ambience 327 on 30 September 2008 - 11:23 AM in Site Feedback

It isn't important or anything, but if possible I would like to have this:

Posted Image

as my avatar. It's just a way to be uniquely identified (so everyone can ridicule me with reckless abandon without checking to make sure they aren't slamming on the wrong guy), and to show my age and love of obscure, 80's sci-fi children's television. -_-

If I don't get it, I won't cry. I'll just keep being a purple haze and go on about my business. But c'mon now VACC, you realised your dream of being close to Ice - can't I have a bit of fun too?

OT & OOC - Anyone recognize the guy?

#261168 Deploy Cs-6 Sneak Peek

Posted by Ambience 327 on 08 January 2010 - 08:49 AM in General Nerf

It better be video games talking through your fingers, I hate it when people try and make nerf guns look like guns from halo.

And I just love it when one person tells another person what they should and shouldn't do with their plastic toys... :D

#318723 Foam in the Fort III - July 21st, 2012

Posted by Ambience 327 on 18 July 2012 - 06:17 AM in Nerf Wars

Sure - we can try a 360 if you bring it. I wonder how insane it could get if there was a nice area in the dead center of the field, with 3-4 respawn points spread out around it. Pop some serious cover near the core, and the defending team would have to deal with being surrounded! :lol:

(Not sure if we are going to have enough people to pull that off successfully though. Being surrounded with 1-2 people per side isn't nearly as hectic as 5-10 people per side.)

#318645 Foam in the Fort III - July 21st, 2012

Posted by Ambience 327 on 17 July 2012 - 11:29 AM in Nerf Wars

Just bumping to advertise!

Also, Not sure if I'll have time for any, but do you need mobsticles or supplies for Defend the Core/Carpe?

Unless someone brings anything better, DTC Cores will be cardboard boxes. I have no mobstacles either, and they would be welcome, though the field works well with or without them.

#318137 Foam in the Fort III - July 21st, 2012

Posted by Ambience 327 on 07 July 2012 - 01:26 PM in Nerf Wars

Two weeks to go! Who's excited?

We already have roughly a dozen confirmed attendees, and plenty more maybes. Anybody else have an update on their attendance status?

#318802 Foam in the Fort III - July 21st, 2012

Posted by Ambience 327 on 19 July 2012 - 12:20 PM in Nerf Wars

To add to the dart recovery conversation - it helps if there is some unique way to ID your darts. That can be tough, but some guys dust a certain color spraypaint over the backs of them, or mark the backs with a sharpie or something.

Personally, I just try to get back what I can and not worry about the rest. :D

@ BuffDaddy - sounds great - can't wait to Nerf with you again. Depending on how things go, we might try both DTC styles if you bring yours.

On a tangent - I wanted to note that I will have a few blasters I am looking to sell, so if you bring cash, you may walk away with some new Nerfy goodness. I have an AR removed LS and a stock Magstrike w/ 1 peg-removed clip, and possibly some others.

If you really want one of these and want to claim it as your own prior to the war date and pick it up then, please PM me. However, please refrain from cluttering up the thread with trading discussion.

#319107 Foam in the Fort III - July 21st, 2012

Posted by Ambience 327 on 24 July 2012 - 03:27 PM in Nerf Wars

*My daughter was very amused/pleased at receiving her nerfing name of Carbonite. She tells me she's keeping it. She had a great time (especially since she took me out during a round).

Sweet. I wonder if Flywheel will do the same? :lol:

*Discovering that 3:15 isn't all bad! When you've been running like crazy all morning, a more methodical, strategic elimination game is pretty nice. The elimination rounds added a nice twist to the day.

Note to self - 3:15 to be placed near the end of the war.

*Ambience's boffer mace. That thing was like getting hit with a lightly padded truck.

Yeah, I was quite surprised at how much extra impact that little bit of extra foam and duct-tape amounted to.

*Forgetting the primary rule of a zombie apocalype: if you have a spare moment, RELOAD. Almost managed to pull off a sprinting reload/turn and fire, but just got a simultaneous kill. BRAIIIINS.

You almost outran that zombie. You wouldn't have outrun any further zombies that showed up after that though - you looked ready to heave!

#318871 Foam in the Fort III - July 21st, 2012

Posted by Ambience 327 on 20 July 2012 - 08:11 AM in Nerf Wars

Let me hold one, and then shoot me with it (with my permission) and I will most likely allow it. I can't imagine something with silicone and no metal being worse in any way (from a danger standpoint) than a slug.

#318940 Foam in the Fort III - July 21st, 2012

Posted by Ambience 327 on 21 July 2012 - 07:10 AM in Nerf Wars

it's the day before the war and to work decided to have me work overtime saturday so as much I hate do this for the third year in time to roll I'm gonna have to cancel.

NOOOOO!!!!!!!!! Boo. Hiss.
(Oh well, a man has to make a living. I will get you here yet!!!)

Blasters repaired, darts made, car is packed, and the daughter has decided that she wants to make it there for the beginning...so we're hitting the road at 4:30am. HARDCORE TIME ZONE TRAVEL.

We'll see you guys in the AM.

So you are as wrapped around her finger as I am my own daughters' eh? Sweet. :lol:
(I am pretty sure if my oldest was much more than 5, she would be begging to come with me - though that would change the first time she got shot.)

Anyway...

Rise and shine folks. Thankfully, it isn't going to be in the 100's like it has been in the last few weeks, but it is still going to get up into the 80's, and it may be rather humid. Make sure you bring plenty of water!

And don't forget, there are NO RESTROOMS AT THE WAR LOCATION!!!!

#319030 Foam in the Fort III - July 21st, 2012

Posted by Ambience 327 on 23 July 2012 - 12:15 PM in Nerf Wars

Recap Time!

This was an awesome war, and it was really a pleasure to Nerf with such a great group of guys. The attitudes both on and off the field were awesome. Thank you all very much for making my third foray into hosting such an enjoyable time! If this is what I can expect when I sound the call to arms, it will happen again!!!

PROS
-Nerfing with an awesome bunch of guys with great attitudes, competitive spirits and sweet blasters.

-All the youngins having a great time and showing what their energy can accomplish.

-Having more than 1/2 of the founding members of Foam in the Fort present. DarkMatter and his Dad and Dragonsnipe and one of his boys. Missed the rest, but lots of others to take their place!

-Getting to hang with my buddy Carbon again. I'm not saying that he and I make wars great, but we were both at Cataclysm and it was great. We were both at Foam in the Fort and it was great. Coincidence?

-Meeting Phoenix66 face to face, and meeting his crew. Guy does great work on homemades for a great price. Look him up if you need work done.

-Spending another day enjoying the sweetness of my PumpSnap. (And showing off my new hand-painted shamrock and cross logo.) Works great, and as I put a few small customizations into it, it will only get better. (See the above comment for the source of this great blaster...)

-Phoenix66 helping my nephew out with some issues he was having with his own PumpSnap after some hasty repairs that I made were only partially successful. (His younger cousins had damaged it by firing it with the pump-handle only half way back.)

-My wife chatting it up with Phoenix66's mom. Homeschool moms never seem to run out of stuff to talk about, and she really enjoyed the conversation.

-Melee only rounds were awesome. I've taken to referring to melee only elimination as "Highlander", because of course "There can be only one!"

-Scoring the only points in DTC, but still helping my team to win as I scored more than the other team managed to. (See below.)

CONS

-Dart recovery - I think I got maybe a dozen of my own darts back. I am lacking somewhere in the 100's. That's ok though, they were inexpensive, and I can always get more.

-Minor issue with barrel tap / mercy rules at the very beginning. It was handled quickly, and everyone was very mature about the mix-up and the resulting "win" in the CTF round.

-Forgetting my cardboard boxes for making a DTC core and being stuck with three rubbermaid tubs which were bouncing all the darts from our high-powered blasters right back out. (Scoring was still possible, but very hard, as both sides proved!)

-My wife got a sunburn from talking to Phoenix66's mom for so long. If they strike up a conversation next time, I'm going to make her hold an umbrella.

#317904 Foam in the Fort III - July 21st, 2012

Posted by Ambience 327 on 03 July 2012 - 08:08 AM in Nerf Wars

Bummer, I was hoping to steal one of your RBP's for a round. Hope you have as much fun on your vaca as you would have had here.

#316775 Foam in the Fort III - July 21st, 2012

Posted by Ambience 327 on 09 June 2012 - 03:44 PM in Nerf Wars

It has been almost two years since the last war, due mostly to me buying a house last summer and having absolutely no time for Nerf. Now, however, the time has come for more the next FOAM IN THE FORT!

When:

Saturday, July 21st, 2012
10:00 am until we are beat (probably around 5:00-6:00 pm)

Please try to arrive a bit early (~9:45) so that the first round can start promptly at 10:00 am.

Where:

Glenwood Park Elementary School in Fort Wayne, IN

Posted Image

This is simply an awesome location for a war! As you can see in the above image, there are lots of trees to use for cover, but spread out enough to allow for lots of room to maneuver. There are also two different playground areas that might also be usable for CTF or other objective games - I don't have any shots of them yet though.

What to bring:

- A Primary (more than one is a good idea - in case you have breakage!)

- Darts (#6 slugs or stock ammo only) (If you are making or buying slugs, they should be made using the guidelines provided by Ryan201821.)

- Eye protection - anyone under 18 MUST wear it. 18+ at your discretion, though it is still strongly recommended and at your own risk.

- Lunch / Money - There are lots of fast food places within a 10 minute drive. You are of course welcome to bring a bag lunch and eat on the field during the lunch break.

- Water (Lots of water - it is likely to be rather hot in July!)

- Proper clothing - It will most likely be rather warm. Also, don't be a moron and show up in camo unless it is neon pink or something.

- Any and all missle/rocket/ball shooting weapons you might have access to. You might find they come in handy during some of the game-types, and they are always useful for breaking shields.

- Melee weapons and shields will be permitted - see below...

What not to bring:

- Dangerous blasters/darts/etc - i.e. no metal spikes, wooden "gunblades", etc. Blasters will be banned if they are deemed unsafe for any reason, including firing way too hard. No blanket bans will be imposed, but it is unlikely that your singled Titan will be used unless it is fairly underpowered. (No, "I will only pump it X times" will not be acceptable!)

- Blasters or other gear that could be mistaken for actual weapons (i.e. black-painted blasters, silver "knives", etc.). These should definitely be left at home.

- Participants under 13 years old are welcome, but MUST be accompanied by a parent or a responsible adult (18+) who will assume full responsibility for the youngling's actions, attitude and safety. I will only assume responsibility for younglings that I personally bring. NO EXCEPTIONS.

Miscellaneous Information:

- If you act like a 3-year-old, we'll send you home like a 3-year-old.

- Please clean up after yourselves - a trash bag will be provided, and everyone is expected to participate in dart-sweeps.

- Please note that there are no restrooms at the war site. Go before you get there, and go during lunch. You have been warned!

- Please keep the loud outbursts and swearing to a minimum - we will be playing in a schoolyard with nearby residential areas and don't need any residents or passers-by to have reason to complain about us.

- We will break for lunch some time around 12:00 or a bit later, probably for 30-45 minutes.

- I have not set up a specific game schedule. Gametypes will be determined mainly by popular opinion - but we will likely be playing mostly objective-type games (CTF, Sieze the Balls, etc). Meatgrinder will most likely be used as the first round and the post-lunch round - it is just a great way to get warmed up! I have the gear for the following objective games:

Sieze the Balls
Capture the Flag
Team Powerball
Defend the Core
Infection

(Details for these gametypes can be found later in this thread.)

Melee & Shield Rules

Melee weapons will be allowed, though they should conform to a few basic rules.

- No metal should be used in the construction of the Melee weapon.

- All striking surfaces should be covered with a sufficiently thick layer of foam.

- Unmodified, store-bought plastic toy lightsabers will be permitted without regard to the above two rules. Lightsabers are cool. Bonus points if you use them with batteries for that lovely hum & glow. :) (Polycarb-bladed "Force FX" sabers are not included in this - those blades are HARD!)

- Anything I deem ridiculous or dangerous will not be allowed.

- Melee weapons can be used for blocking darts just like shields (see below) - but only if they are in your hand. If your Melee weapon is holstered, a hit on it counts just like a gun hit.

You'll be limited on the maximum size of your shield depending on what blaster you're wielding. This will be the standard ruling for most gametypes. Here is the breakdown. (Your most powerful blaster is what counts here.)

Melee Only = 3 sq/ft
[The largest blocking face of the Melee weapon(s) counts as part of the maximum shield area.]

One Single shot pistol, ranges < 50' - 2 sq/ft

Anything else, ranges <50' - 1 sq/ft

Blasters shooting over 50' will not be allowed to use a shield.

Shields may be used to deflect darts - hits on shields do not count as long as the shield is in your hand, strapped to a blaster that is in your hand, or strapped to your forearm. A shield strapped/slung anywhere else will not block hits - it will count the same as a gun hit.

Balls, missiles, rockets, etc. (basically any ammo larger than a Mega dart) may not be blocked by shields or Melee weapons - a hit on a shield or Melee weapon with ammo of this type will count as a normal hit.

Shields can be made from whatever, cardboard should be reinforced with duct tape. Shields that do not meet the specifications for Melee weapons may not be used as such. (i.e. Don't go whacking people with a large wooden shield!) Shields that are deemd unsafe for any reason will be disallowed.

Attendees:
Ambience 327 (host) + Guests
Dragonsnipe
DarkMatter
Carbon+1
Demon Lord
Phoenix66+4
BabyGhandi+?
Spooky+1
Buffdaddy+1

Possibilities:
MrSNAP
ACEnerfer
Daniel Beaver
Carrot__Panda

#317246 Foam in the Fort III - July 21st, 2012

Posted by Ambience 327 on 20 June 2012 - 02:50 PM in Nerf Wars

Only if you carpool...

#317127 Foam in the Fort III - July 21st, 2012

Posted by Ambience 327 on 18 June 2012 - 08:28 AM in Nerf Wars

Trauma should be more limited this time, since we won't be actively waiting for you guys for the dart stash!! :rolleyes:

As for the mallows - I have no issue with them. Fire away.

I'll try to come over with some guys.

Fantastic. You need to be there so we have at least one person running, diving and otherwise putting themselves in danger of grievous bodily harm from impact with one of the many trees...

#316778 Foam in the Fort III - July 21st, 2012

Posted by Ambience 327 on 09 June 2012 - 03:47 PM in Nerf Wars

GAMETYPE RULES AND VARIATIONS

These will be explained in detail as needed at the war, but for any of you who may be interested in the rules for the various gametypes we will probably be playing, here they are. (Other Than Strategic Assault, I did not create any of these game types, though some of them may have been subtly altered from incarnations found at other sources.) All of these rules are subject to change at the whim of the hosts and the players present - we will do whatever we feel makes for the most fun and exciting rounds! (Respawn count-times are especially variable - they may be made longer or shorter depending on the pace we want to set for the games.)

If anything is unclear - please feel free to ask questions. If anything is wrong - well, I'll just take my ball and go home! (Just kidding of course - point out my egregous errors so that I may bow to your obviously superior knowledge of Nerf!)

Format

Teams: The number of teams required/allowed by the game type

Setup: How the field is set up, where teams start, and any special areas or equipment that will be used for the game type.

Respawn: How many "lives" each player has, and how they go about returning to active play.

Objectives: The goals which the teams work towards. This may be the same or different for each team.

Special Rules: Any unusual rules specific to this game type.

Variants: Any specialised variant rules for a game type which change the objectives, setup, etc. These may or may not be used, in part or in whole.

Meatgrinder

Teams: 2 or more

Setup: Teams begin play at their designated "spawn point" (1 per team), which should be spread out evenly around the play area. Nothing else is needed.

Respawn: Unlimited, 15-count at designated "spawn point"

Objectives: Have fun and get warmed up for future rounds. (There is no true objective in Meat Grinder.)

Special Rules: None

Capture the Flag

Teams: 2

Setup: Each team is given a "base" where their flag is kept, as well as one or more designated "spawn points" (which should be at least 20-30 yards away from their "base" locations). Players begin play in their "base".

Objectives: Take your opponent's flag from their base and return it to your base without being tagged. The first team to return the enemy's flag to their base wins.

Special Rules: If a player is carrying the flag and they are hit, they must drop the flag where they were hit before heading for their "spawn point". A player form either team may then pick up the flag. If a player from the owning team picks up the flag, they must attempt to return it to their base as quickly as practical, (No running around in the backfield with your own flag.)

Variants: It may be declared that both flags must be at your base in order to win. In this case, players are always required to move any flag they are carrying towards their base as quickly as practical. It may also be declared that a player carrying the flag may not use their blaster while carrying it. (Melee weapons may be used as normal.) It is also possible that the flag may be a melee weapon, and the only melee weapon allowed in the game.

Sieze the Balls

Teams: 2 or more (generally at least 3)

Setup: Each team is given a "base" location consisting of a bucket filled with a number of balls (3 or more), as well as a designated "spawn point" (which should be at least 20-30 yards behind their "base" locations). Players start at their designated "spawn point".

Objectives: Take balls from your opponent's buckets and return them to your own bucket. The team with the most balls in their bucket when the time is up wins. Balls not in buckets when time is called do not count towards any team.

Special Rules: A player may only carry a single ball at any given time. If a player is hit while carrying a ball, they must drop the ball where they were hit before returning to their "spawn point".

Team Powerball
(Adapted from multiple sources.)

Setup: Each team is given a "base" location consisting of 3 buckets spread out 20-40 yards apart, roughly parallel to the opposing team's buckets. (The center bucket on each side should be a bit further back than two outside buckets.) Each team is also given a designated "spawn point" which whould be 20-30 yards behind the "base" location. Finally, each team is given 8 balls of their team color (red or blue, or similarly contrasting colors) and 4 white balls (the "Powerballs"). These are placed at the team's designated "spawn point" at the start of the game.

Respawn: Unlimited, 15-count at designated "spawn point".

Objectives: Take your balls to your opponent's "base" and get them into one of their buckets. Any balls in a team's buckets when the time is called score points for the opposing team. The two outside buckets are worth 1 point each, the center bucket is worth 3 points. A "Powerball" in a bucket is worth double the normal points (so 2 or 6). Balls not in a bucket when time is called are worth no points. The team with the most points wins.

Special Rules: A player may only carry one ball at a time, and they may only carry balls of their team's color or "Powerballs". No player may intentionally touch, pick up, block or otherwise disturb a ball of the opposing team's color at any time. When a player is hit while carrying a ball, they must drop that ball where they were shot before returning to their "spawn point". (The ball may not be dropped into a bucket after a player has been hit.) Any player may touch, pick up, carry, block, etc. a "Powerball" at any time, except that you may not attempt to strip a "Powerball" from the hands of another player. Once a ball, whether it be a normal ball or a "Powerball", has been placed in a bucket, it may not be removed by either team.

Variants: One player per team may be designated a "Goalkeeper". The "Goalkeeper" is armed with either a melee weapon or a single shot blaster that shoots less than 50 feet (but not both). The "Goalkeeper" must remain on his team's side of the field (i.e. may not cross the "center line"). The "Goalkeeper" is invulnerable - i.e. he may not be eliminated by either shooting or melee hits. (Optional - the "Goalkeeper" may be "stunned" for a 5-count by shooting and/or melee hits - which means he cannot move or shoot/swing melee.) Unlike other players, the "Goalkeeper" may touch the opposing team's balls - but only to attempt to block a thrown ball or to quickly throw a ball back towards the opposing team's side. (The "Goalkeeper" may not hold an opposing team's ball for more than a 3-count before he must throw it away, and all throws must be directed toward the opposing team's side - no throwing it behind your own team's buckets.)

Defend the Core

Setup: Each team is given a "base" location with a "core" - a large container with a receptacle for darts/arrows/missles/nerf balls/etc to be fired into. Each team is also given a designated "spawn point" which should be 20-30 yards behind their "core".

Respawn: Unlimited, 15-count

Objectives: Put as many darts/arrows/missiles/balls/etc into the opposing team's "core" as possible within the time limit. Each "hit" on the core - i.e each dart or other projectile put into the "core" - counts as 1 point. The team with the most points when time is called wins.

Variants: Scoring can be adjusted by allowing larger projectiles, which are generally shorter ranged/less accurate/otherwise harder to get into the core, to be worth more points. For example - all arrows/missles/nerf balls could be worth 5 points. There could also be 1 or more "bombs" placed in the middle of the playing field. (i.e. a colored ball - a player carrying it may not shoot/melee, and must drop it immediately if hit.) The ball may not be thrown, it may only be dropped into the "core" when the carrier can touch the "core" with both hands. These bombs could be worth additional points - i.e. 5 or even 10.

Infection

Teams: 1 or more "Zombies" (each armed with a single melee weapon only), everyone else is a "Human" (each armed with whatever weapons are allowed). Zombies should be designated by wearing a clearly visible loop of flagging tape around their neck/head/arm/etc.

(For games with 10 or more players, starting with 2-3 "Zombies" can keep the game from getting off to a slow start)

Setup: The "Humans" scatter throughout the playing area, while the "Zombies" remain in the center of the playing area at a designated "Zombie Spawn" location. (The "Zombie Spawn" location should have an ample supply of melee weapons and flagging tape.)

Respawn: When a "Human" is tagged out by a "Zombie", they are "Infected" and turned into a "Zombie". The new "Zombie" must go to the "Zombie Spawn" location and drop all weapons they are carrying and arm themselves with a single melee weapon instead. They must also acquire a flagging tape loop as described above.

When a "Zombie" is tagged out by a "Human", they should sit/kneel down and begin a 15-count. During this time the "Zombie" may not move or attack. When the 15-count is reached, they may become active again.

Objectives: The "Humans" must try to survive until time is called. The "Zombies" must try to "Infect" as many humans as possible. The only winners are the surviving "Humans" when time is called.

Variants: If, during their 15-count, a "Human" gently taps a "Zombie" with a melee weapon, the "Zombie" must stop their count and move to the "Zombie Spawn" location. Once there, they may resume their count. Once they reach 15, they may become active again. It may be declared that some/all "Zombies" may only walk. (i.e. only starting "Zombies" may run, or only non-starting "Zombies" may run, etc.)

#317174 Foam in the Fort III - July 21st, 2012

Posted by Ambience 327 on 19 June 2012 - 11:41 AM in Nerf Wars

But will you claim the title of Last Man Standing in the Infection round again? (Yep - the gauntlet is thrown, and your brains will be mine!!!) :blink:

#317215 Foam in the Fort III - July 21st, 2012

Posted by Ambience 327 on 20 June 2012 - 06:18 AM in Nerf Wars

Keep in mind he only shot her after she turned. It was a mercy killing really...

Ok - this war is officially Carbonated - who else is going to step up and commit rather than hang out in "maybe land"? :lol:

#181220 Nerf N Strike Game Trailer Released

Posted by Ambience 327 on 03 October 2008 - 02:08 PM in General Nerf

I wonder how long it will be before people start trying to do cosmetic mods to make some of the "new" guns in this game a reality? Personally, I think this one could be done without too a ridiculous amount of trouble:

Posted ImagePosted Image

Seriously though, it looks like it could be fun, and it also looks like they could use it as a platform for trying out new gun ideas in a virtual space (for the reaction to the "wow" factor without the expense of actually creating the gun in real life). If course, it wouldn't be quite the same, but it might help them avoid any major duds in the future, who knows?

#257808 Nerfhaven Modifications Directory

Posted by Ambience 327 on 02 December 2009 - 09:57 AM in Modifications

Yes, that is why this is necessary. Talio made a post asking for volunteers to take it over as FA is too busy, and BS was chosen.

#182378 No...really...this Is A Nerf Grenade

Posted by Ambience 327 on 08 October 2008 - 09:40 AM in General Nerf

Vimes - your efforts are greatly appreciated! Well done getting one of these broken down and taking pics for us.

A few questions though:

1) Your last pic is fairly blurry. Do there seem to be AR's in there to remove?

2) Do you think that one would be able to add extended barrels without interfering too much with the pump operation or the grenade's flight? (I'm not thinking anything huge - just enough to squeeze a few extra nano-stefans into the mix. If there are AR's, and if barrel replacement helps any, we might see some use out of these things if we can get enough foam scattering the area - like I mentioned above, off-center weights might help here with additional scatter effect.)

#181947 No...really...this Is A Nerf Grenade

Posted by Ambience 327 on 06 October 2008 - 09:13 AM in General Nerf

I'm wondering if this thing would have enough kick to shotgun load a few nano-stefans (2-3 per barrel). That would increase the foam load, though it would probably decrease the overal blast radius. Still, a 3'-4' radius with 12-18 shots would probably be a slight bit more effective than 6' x 6-shots. One thing to try would be to put the weights in off-center, so the darts would (intentionally) fishtail a bit, causing a more erratic flight path and, theoretically at least, a more effective spread.

I know if I get my hands on one or two of these, that's what I'll be trying.

#153977 Longshot Mod

Posted by Ambience 327 on 30 April 2008 - 08:01 AM in Modifications

I will grant that my experience (playing mostly indoors in a decent-sized church) is probably different from what most of you outdoor nerfers are used to. However, I can't see how it would be impossible to reload a magazine or two during a game if you are sticking together with friends for support. Does everyone who uses a Longshot in wars own enough mags to keep them set for an entire game? I know that before I bought my Recons, I only had the two, and I was able to keep them loaded when I needed to, just by having teammates cover me for a moment. It really doesn't take that long to load them, and with someone watching your back (and a good sidearm within reach if things get hairy), I don't see why this would be such a terrible thing for someone who can't afford / doesn't have access to / doesn't want to carry half a dozen mags for their Longshot.

But then, I've not played in anything large outside. My only big game experience (approx 30 players in our biggest games) is indoors, so maybe all that cover plays a part in skewing my viewpoint?