Spoon's Content

There have been 516 items by Spoon (Search limited from 08-December 96)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#15839 Sm1500&widfire

Posted by Spoon on 06 January 2004 - 01:26 AM in Modifications

Same pressure, are you joking? The tank on a Wildfire (which is a rubber bladder that inflates) is probably 1/5th the pressure inside the tank of a pumped 1500 (which has a solid thick plastic tank). Putting the wildfire's bladder into a 1500 (even if you managed to do it practically) would just result in a long, weak burst of air.

#15389 Intro

Posted by Spoon on 01 January 2004 - 05:43 AM in General Nerf

I know this post is old but I always love how nobody ever thanks Cxwq, even though he's the one pretty much leading the NIC these days.

#15458 Im Confused

Posted by Spoon on 01 January 2004 - 08:49 PM in General Nerf

Yea it varies according to your group. Out here we play in organized wars with specific sport-like rules regarding hits, counting, boundaries, etc. Other groups use different rules though usually they're just slight variations. The "standard" rule-set (also called West Coast rules) is that when you get hit you are momentarily out (usually counting to 20 seconds or so) and then back in, after a set number of lives you are dead for the round. The other major rule-set is East Coast style where there is no stopping between hits, and every single dart (rather than just the first dart as in West Coast) counts as a hit, so if someone hits you with a 4 shot Powerclip spray, you're down 4 hit points. After you lose all your hit points you're dead for the round. West Coast style tends to be slower and more strategic with occasional intense firefights, whereas East Coast is...well....not for the faint of heart.

There are other wars such as Capture the Flag (CTF), last man standing etc, but those kinds of wars vary much more in rules between groups than the standart "team deathmatch" type wars.

Groups who just kind of show up and shoot each other randomly are pretty lame.

When it comes to paintball and airsoft, most nerfers like paintball and/or airsoft, but few paintall/airsofters like nerf. Most of us like those sports, but just can't afford to play it very often or, such as in my case, suck really badly at it. That and it's just fun to be able to modify and completely customize your arsenal to your play style.

#7085 Two Modding Questions

Posted by Spoon on 16 July 2003 - 05:41 PM in Modifications

1: I use a small thin screwdriver and a old rag and just scoop the shit out. You're right, you can't leave it in.

2: It goes right where the rotation mechanism fits onto the airtank. It seals the connection between the rotation mechanism and the pressure chamber.

#3230 Marbles

Posted by Spoon on 10 April 2003 - 01:19 AM in Off Topic

When I first read the topic, all I could think of was the asian guy in "Major League 2" saying to the big black guy "Marbles! You have no marbles!"

#15859 Broken 1500

Posted by Spoon on 06 January 2004 - 04:03 PM in Modifications

Honestly I think you're fucked. I've had leaks on 1500 valves before and nothing I did would seal them.

#15934 This Is Ridiculous.

Posted by Spoon on 07 January 2004 - 03:04 AM in General Nerf

Yea as for the mods thing I'm kind of sitting on the fence because while I totally agree that coming up with your own mods is an essential part of the "nerf experience" and all, even I have followed mod instructions before. I think it's cumulative. It's rare that one person comes up with a totally original awesome mod, it's more often a basic mod that someone publishes that then gets expanded on over time. It's the people following the instructions but also keeping an eye on improving the mod itself that's important.

As for C02, my thoughts are similar to Cxwq and Famine's: They're great if you want a project or something, but in my opinion change the "feel" of the game by making it way too focused on distance and power. Not to mention the safety risks that start to come into play. Nerf's never going to gain much popularity if the only way a kid who is starting out can not get slaughtered is to build his own C02 powered homemade. Christ I don't even think I could build one.....

#7743 Bbb Problem Plz Help!

Posted by Spoon on 06 August 2003 - 06:18 PM in Modifications

You probably didn't put it together correctly. Make sure the catch piece is in the right place.

#2227 Lnl Spring

Posted by Spoon on 15 March 2003 - 06:54 PM in Modifications

Take your gun to the hardware store, try springs out until you find one you like. Most hardware stores will let you return things even if they are opened, as long as you have the packaging. Just buy all the springs that might possibly work, find the one that works best, and return the rest.

#3852 Eab Sm1500.

Posted by Spoon on 23 April 2003 - 02:04 PM in Modifications

Try it and find out.

#3869 Eab Sm1500.

Posted by Spoon on 23 April 2003 - 06:09 PM in Modifications

The same kinds of barrels that work with any air pressure gun. Read Cxwq's barrel selection article on this site. Brass, copper or PETG. Whatever fits your darts best and doesn't have much friction.

#3851 Good Length Of Barrel

Posted by Spoon on 23 April 2003 - 02:03 PM in Modifications

Two or three springs in a BBB? Good God.....

#2358 Barricades At YANO

Posted by Spoon on 19 March 2003 - 02:21 AM in Nerf Wars

Dude, barricades would totally own. We need something to spice up that location anyway and this sounds perfect. Ray if you took the time to make all the barricades like that, I would....like.....well lets just say I'd make it worth your while.

#16725 Nerf Rad Teams

Posted by Spoon on 20 January 2004 - 05:04 AM in General Nerf

Ok, RAD teams went something like this.....

The whole thing is based on aggression, going at the enemy FAST, NOT stopping, just charging in and using fear tactics to your advantage. Avoiding stand-offs and stalemates at all costs. Also, you use long range single shot guns to "hold" the enemy. Basically if a guy is up against another guy with a more powerful gun, the first guy will NOT usually advance on the loser. This way you can use two or three long range shooters to "trap" an enemy in place while the assault people with multi-shot guns or autos charge in fast and hard without stopping. Now the enemy is trapped because they don't want to risk charging the losers and getting picked off, but the assault force is NOT stopping and when someone charges at you screaming people will USUALLY miss, even if it's an easy shot. That's where the fear tactics come in. If you show any hint of hesitation then it won't work and it'll just turn into a stand off.

There were more complicated sets of tactics that I came up with but they all worked off of this double-sided concept of extreme aggression and using long range shooters to "hold" the enemy (kind of like in Ghostbusters) while assault forces stormed in for the kill.

What I'd call "RAD" style tactics are rarely employed in nerf wars, but whenever I've used them in conjunction with a couple other people they've worked really well.

#6390 Max Shot Sched 80

Posted by Spoon on 01 July 2003 - 10:01 PM in Modifications

Touche. You're not getting near my guns ever again Mr. Fancy Pants.

#6364 Max Shot Sched 80

Posted by Spoon on 01 July 2003 - 05:34 PM in Modifications

Dude, you epoxied a coupler onto a flat surface? Expect this to break next war.

#363961 I will be at Armageddon XX.

Posted by Spoon on 04 June 2019 - 03:59 AM in Nerf Wars

I'm old and out of shape, but I'll be there to fuck shit up.

Oh, and it's Dr. Spoon now bitches.

\m/

#5845 Questions

Posted by Spoon on 20 June 2003 - 05:34 PM in General Nerf

Question 1:

At the LANOS/YANOS it's all about the honor system. 90% of the time it works flawlessly and the games are fun. You get the occasional dickhead who doesn't count hits, or insists that he hit you even when you could see he wasn't looking. Those people simply get berated and are not invited back. We pride ourselves on our ability to have 30+ person wars without any cheating. Usually you don't feel the hit, unless it's a powerful gun, so it is up to the shooter to inform the person that they were hit. Our guys our trained to take the shooters word for it and we try to be honest. If neither is really sure ("I think I hit you." "Did you, I'm not sure") then usually neither will count the hit and just go on with the game. We just try to keep things fun and not super competitive, thats why we rotate teams every battle or two.

With some groups this honor system doesn't work. It all comes down to having strong leadership, and developing a core group of "regulars" who always play fair and are fun to have around.

#7587 Online Games And Us

Posted by Spoon on 01 August 2003 - 09:43 PM in Off Topic

Vacc's only hunting you because he heard you had cheese.

#6527 Quick Question For Cx:

Posted by Spoon on 03 July 2003 - 10:32 PM in General Nerf

She's dead serious.

Groove, coincidentally, was sponsored by Best Buy.

#4053 Crossbow Plunger Reinforcement

Posted by Spoon on 27 April 2003 - 03:45 PM in Modifications

Tape won't do a damn thing. Run a metal rod along the length of the shaft and epoxy it in place. Use a LOT of epoxy. Make sure the rod doesn't stick out past the plastic otherwise it may not fit in the gun right. It will also make the plunger considerably heavier so you'll need to use more tension.

#6801 My Birthday Is Coming Up...

Posted by Spoon on 09 July 2003 - 02:59 PM in Off Topic

Umm AFAIK the Afterburner requires you to have to install it yourself, which means soldering shit. So if yo can do that, great.

#6749 My Birthday Is Coming Up...

Posted by Spoon on 08 July 2003 - 03:52 PM in Off Topic

Doom is on the GBA.

Screw the BBB, it's overpriced and obsolete. Get a Max Shot.

#6607 Modding Max Shot

Posted by Spoon on 05 July 2003 - 10:02 PM in Modifications

Argh. No you don't have to replace it, it's purely cosmetic. Just pry the fucker off.

#3743 Want To Set Up A Nerf War This Summerin Modesto

Posted by Spoon on 21 April 2003 - 04:59 PM in Nerf Wars

I think I missed something....

#32218 Want To Be An Extra In A Movie?

Posted by Spoon on 23 July 2004 - 11:30 PM in Off Topic

Ok guys here's the deal:

For those of you who have forgotten, I am a 5th year (yea, 5th) film student at Chapman University in Orange Ca. This summer in mid-August I am shooting a film, and on two of the days I need extras aged 10-13, no experience necessary!

The two days I need extras are Thursday August 12, and Wednesday August 18. We are shooting those days at a private school in Orange Ca, about an hour south of LA and an hour or so north of San Diego. The days would last 8-10 hours. We will provide lunch and snacks!

This movie is being shot on film and will be shown at a lot of film festivals. The extras in these scenes will be seen in the background of a lunch tables area at the school. Being an extra in a film can mean a LOT of waiting around, but it's also a great way to see first hand how movies are made. Even though this is a student film, we have a significant budget and lots of fun toys.

So if you or anyone you know are the right age range and would possibly be interested in this, please email me and I'll put you in touch with my Casting Director. My email can be found in my Nerf Haven profile.

#32357 Want To Be An Extra In A Movie?

Posted by Spoon on 26 July 2004 - 07:49 PM in Off Topic

Okay so whats this film about?

Like Commando Bob beats up the bad guys?

Or like Blo Jo walks down the street?

Or where the monster hunts the people?

Oo, oo, what about the extras are like blown up in a blast??

Maybe you already said what the film is for but I really didn't see what the fillm was about.

Actually it's about a sarcastic pre-teen twerp who thinks he's funny.

#1846 Lnl Shot Angle Problems..

Posted by Spoon on 27 February 2003 - 04:07 PM in Modifications

Yea, basically the gun just plain fires high. Always does. You just have to adjust for it. Most people can get used to it after a while, to this day I NEVER have been able to, which is why I don't use a LnL.

#3563 Arwen Evnstr.

Posted by Spoon on 17 April 2003 - 03:50 AM in Off Topic

I believe there are three on this board. Myself, Julie, and ArwenEvnstr.

Oh, happy b-day, ArwenEvnstr, by the way.

Thanks, JT. :P

And yes, Black Blade, I would have to agree that I am VERY lucky to have met Spoon. He's an awesome guy.

#1530 Favorite Yano Moment

Posted by Spoon on 18 February 2003 - 03:56 PM in Nerf Wars

All I know is, the "Chapman Defense" was rock fucking solid....

#2228 Avatars

Posted by Spoon on 15 March 2003 - 06:57 PM in Off Topic

It's not a fluke, I been tried it's the truth. You might as well except it.

>convulses and passes out<

#2208 Avatars

Posted by Spoon on 14 March 2003 - 08:59 PM in Off Topic

excepted

Vacc: Too cool for proper word usage.

#3052 Yo

Posted by Spoon on 06 April 2003 - 11:48 PM in Off Topic

Oh, well I'm sorry but you've already been marked absent. Try to be here on time from now on.

#3111 Yo

Posted by Spoon on 08 April 2003 - 04:06 PM in Off Topic

Not only that, but it's one of those wooden rulers with metal on one side. You know, the ones you always fantasized about using like machetes.

#3767 At2k Mod

Posted by Spoon on 21 April 2003 - 07:42 PM in Modifications

Whichever fits your darts better.

#28977 Armageddon '04 Wrapup Thread

Posted by Spoon on 20 June 2004 - 07:42 PM in Nerf Wars

I should also add that CustomSnake has, by far, the most badass mohawk that I've ever seen at a nerf war.

#28944 Armageddon '04 Wrapup Thread

Posted by Spoon on 20 June 2004 - 02:02 PM in Nerf Wars

The war was indeed awesome. Except for when The Two Stephs pw33ned me on camera. That wasn't awesome at all. Much thanks to everyone for getting off their asses and coming to a war. >rimshot< Hehe. This war, with all the hiking and rough terrain, was brutal on mind, body, guns and (especially) darts. Not knowing how many of mine are in the crap darts box, i brought 200 and brough back about 40. My 3k finally is crapping out (good thing I have a spare) and the Max Shot needs repairs and reinforcement. Ahh well, an excellent war!

#5074 There Is No Spoon

Posted by Spoon on 28 May 2003 - 08:08 PM in Off Topic

I'm going to Hooters tonight. So there. Not that I'm white trash or anything....

As a birthday gift to myself I ordered $1000 in computer upgrades. Next on my list: a cybernetic exoskeleton.

#1966 Movie: Equilibrium

Posted by Spoon on 03 March 2003 - 07:00 PM in Off Topic

Dude, ask the LCM, I totally went gun kata all over them last war. Fortunately when the dvd comes out I'll already have my new tv. Can you say 50" rear projection LCD? That combined with my 6.1 channels of surround sound goodness should make for an enjoyible viewing experience, better than the theatre.

VACC

I'm going to steal your home theater system Vacc. And if you try to stop me, I'll kick you in the nads. So be it.

#11141 At3k 101.4 (angled) Feet. Belive It Or Not

Posted by Spoon on 08 October 2003 - 03:52 AM in Modifications

Wow, you're defiantly shitty grammer and punctuation is surpassed only by Jon's.

Nice job on the AT3K.