LordoftheRing434's Content

There have been 553 items by LordoftheRing434 (Search limited from 11-November 96)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#194485 Minnesnowta War

Posted by LordoftheRing434 on 07 December 2008 - 01:27 AM in Nerf Wars

Wow I've been away too long. January 17th might be possible for me actually if I plan ahead. I haven't touched my guns in a long time, so it'd be nice to break them out. I'll check this thread a little more often and perhaps I'll see you guys there!

#155207 Spano/no Spam

Posted by LordoftheRing434 on 08 May 2008 - 09:55 PM in Nerf Wars

Throw me down as a maybe right now. I'm going to get on the case of getting work off and talking it over with my guys too. I'll be back in Duluth for the summer so if I make it you can expect, at the very least, one other person to be with me as gas will be a bitch. The date sounds pretty solid to me as of right now, but there's always the chance for shit to go down. Hope to make it and see everyone there!

~Rings

#154612 Mnno Recap

Posted by LordoftheRing434 on 04 May 2008 - 04:17 PM in Nerf Wars

Looked like fun guys. You did have a very nice day to war on too. Wish I could've dropped by. I'll be making a summer war for sure!

#152734 Mnno

Posted by LordoftheRing434 on 22 April 2008 - 11:42 PM in Nerf Wars

Oh come on, who actually goes to prom and enjoys it?

Those who end up lucky in the back seat of a car.

There is a chance I will be able to drop in on this one now. I have a guitar recital that day, but earlier on I might have a chance to swing by. I'll know for sure closer to the date, but for now I'll say I have a 30% certainty I can come.

#148459 Southern Minnesota War

Posted by LordoftheRing434 on 31 March 2008 - 09:23 PM in Nerf Wars

Heads up on the date, Hilt. I knew I had some deja vu when I saw the thread :lol:

#148237 Mnno

Posted by LordoftheRing434 on 30 March 2008 - 08:25 PM in Nerf Wars

I'm out on the spring one. Try to catch ya at a summer war though.

~Rings

#148235 Everyone Should See This, Mnsb War Recap

Posted by LordoftheRing434 on 30 March 2008 - 08:23 PM in Nerf Wars

I'll do my best to make this one. Plenty of time to plan it, and I'll get a few guys to come down too.

#146743 Everyone Should See This, Mnsb War Recap

Posted by LordoftheRing434 on 24 March 2008 - 09:24 PM in Nerf Wars

Hot damn! I'm pissed I had to miss out on that! Glad to see that Minnesota's finally getting a solid position in the Nerfing Community. There better some action going down this summer, no way in hell I'm going to miss that! I'll let my dual NFs speak for me then. Good showing guys!

#145039 2nd Annual Mnsbw

Posted by LordoftheRing434 on 13 March 2008 - 09:44 PM in Nerf Wars

Bad update: My buddy and I may not be able to make it now because of complications. We're working our hardest to alleviate these, but attendance isn't 100% quite yet. I'll keep a fairly consistent status posted here. Hoping for the best.

#144864 2nd Annual Mnsbw

Posted by LordoftheRing434 on 12 March 2008 - 01:26 PM in Nerf Wars

Kickass. I could definitely go for some grass to run on instead of ice or snow. Should've brought my track spikes back to school with me. Oh well.

#142971 2nd Annual Mnsbw

Posted by LordoftheRing434 on 28 February 2008 - 01:56 AM in Nerf Wars

Yeah man, everybody should be able to Nerf. Show up anyway. It'd be chill to have as many people as can make it. Reading back through this, the changes that have been made since I've been to the site sound interesting. Should be an excellent war if the weather allows.

#142633 2nd Annual Mnsbw

Posted by LordoftheRing434 on 26 February 2008 - 02:48 PM in Nerf Wars

Thanks guys on the darts. I managed to cook up about 20 more on my weekend home. Yes, stock darts will do my guns justice. I have crayola nested in PVC in all my guns. It's a bit looser than CPVC.

Another note: there's a very good pizza place somewhere on Snelling. I think it was close to Snelling & Randolph. The trade-off is that it's a sit down place and we'd have less war time, but it is an idea. It's called Grampa Tony's or somethng like that.

#142386 2nd Annual Mnsbw

Posted by LordoftheRing434 on 24 February 2008 - 04:10 PM in Nerf Wars

A slight setback for me is a serious lack of dartage. I think I have some of your's still, Sam, and you'll see them back. But since I've been at school, I've had a lack of supplies to make a batch of stefans. Granted, it shouldn't hinder war participation, but any darts my buddy and I could borrow for the day would be superb. They will be returned at the end of the day. I'm up in the North Country this weekend and I'll try to get several stefans made today, but I think I'm running low on FBR too. I'll make an effort.

~Rings

PS: Anybody know if Jangadance can make it or is going to try to? That gun of his was badass.

#141834 2nd Annual Mnsbw

Posted by LordoftheRing434 on 21 February 2008 - 10:08 PM in Nerf Wars

I will likely be wielding dual NFs again since it's unmistakably badass to do so and I like working on a minimum. Other than that, I have a couple of AT2ks in dire need of tune-ups, a couple PowerClips, a BBB, and I might bring the EaB this time around. I don't have any war time in on it. My buddy will also be toting an SM5000 and probably like a SM750 or SS2 or something as a side arm. We still have to plan our arsenal. That's a sneak peak at what I remember is in working order. I have a SM1500 that's been on the workbench for at least 2 years now and I don't think I'll get that in working condition before the war. Doesn't mean I won't try...

Time's winding down. Hopefully most of the snow vacates the premises. It was ideal last year in my opinion. Should be fun any way we look at it, but good conditions always help.

#141428 2nd Annual Mnsbw

Posted by LordoftheRing434 on 19 February 2008 - 10:54 PM in Nerf Wars

Consider this my RSVP for myself and at least one other, granted none of the unfortunate situations I mentioned earlier does not occur. We should be there with bells on. Hopefully the weather will shape up completely and make for a nice day.

#138327 2nd Annual Mnsbw

Posted by LordoftheRing434 on 03 February 2008 - 01:30 AM in Nerf Wars

Hash is a lot more concentrated than cannabis leaf and bud, and it is much more dense. Being cannabis resin, it usually is sold in solid block quantities, so 15 pounds of hash would be a little more mobile than cannabis buds. Regardless, that is an insane amount of bombay black. Why they would bring that much to a frisbee golf course is beyond me...

Special botany discussion aside, I'm excited to see the war zone. I haven't been to the site since spring of last year. Has anything new gone up around it? Any obstacles/more cover? What's there to get behind now instead of dirt humps?

Sounds like quite an attendance so far. Last year's was a good number, but it's always interesting to see more show up.

~Rings

#137917 2nd Annual Mnsbw

Posted by LordoftheRing434 on 31 January 2008 - 01:27 AM in Nerf Wars

I haven't been on the boards for the better part of 3 months. Boy I'm lucky I came by to check things now. I would be able to swing March 15th I'm pretty sure, along with one of my former clan members. Any possible more I will soon see, but that could just be it. Any of the other dates would likely work for me as well, minus the 22nd. I'm fairly sure I can make it to the date set now though, given none of the following happens:

1.) A project/paper should hopefully not be due that next Monday. I will prepare as best I can in advance if that's the case, but if I'm behind, I should keep my focus on school.

2.) My spring break begins on the 15th. That means my parents will be anxious to know when to pick me up to bring me back to Duluth for a few days. If for some dire reason that they need to pick me up on the 15th, I'll need to return then with them. Again, I'll do my best to steer clear of that.

3.) If my dorm core-blocks students or closes for spring break, I will be shit out of luck for being able to stick around the Cities. The closest I might be able to stay would be in St. Cloud with the friend I was planning to bring along. I don't anticipate this happening though, so that should be ok.

If one of the above situations arises and jeopardizes my attendence, I will do my absolute best to correct that. I'll make sure to check the boards a little more often now and again to see what's up. My current RSVP: Attending unless one of the big elephants above sits in my path.

~Rings

#127212 Happy Birthday Groove

Posted by LordoftheRing434 on 24 October 2007 - 08:24 PM in Off Topic

Cheers! Have to say I've always been a fan. Billy Woot was an icon for me and my crew.

#123524 Happy Birthday To Pineapple

Posted by LordoftheRing434 on 19 September 2007 - 02:53 PM in Off Topic

Happy Birthday! With age comes further wisdom...

#122812 The Minneapolis Bridge Collapse

Posted by LordoftheRing434 on 12 September 2007 - 03:46 PM in Off Topic

I honestly believe that there was more than just one reason at hand. I chose repairs because the construction they had going was indeed really stressful to the structure on the bridge. It was normally a 4-lane freeway, which they narrowed to 2 lanes on one side of the bridge. That left a poor weight distribution on the bridge, and with metropolitan rush-hour traffic... something was bound to happen.

Secondly, there was a train running underneath the bridge at that time. My dad had a hunch about the oscillation of soundwaves generated by the train, and how they could have played a role in the bridge's collapse. Maybe an engineering major can help me out in explaining this, as my focus is on psychology and not civil engineering.

Thirdly, it was a hot day. The heat could have added further stress on the steel joints of the bridge.

Now that I'm back at school, the gravity of the situation has sunk even deeper. Going across campus, I can see the barges and the twisted steel that has been hauled onto the bank. It's eerie to look at and imagine just what went down. My girlfriend was distantly related to the last victim to be recovered as well, so that was a topic we didn't bring up at her family reunion. It isn't exactly a personal touch so much, but it just made me appreciate the scope of what happened there.

That sounds like an engaging research report. It's better when teachers/professors make their lessons applicable to real life.

~Rings

#120854 Why Did They Even Bother?

Posted by LordoftheRing434 on 22 August 2007 - 09:11 PM in Off Topic

I win! I almost forgot about that one.. :lol:

There's really two types of Nerfers in the NIC. The first uses NH and other sites as resources to fuel their passion for Nerf. They search for, and introduce new ideas. Their posts are relevant and worthwhile, with thought-out comments and questions instead of the oh so common "That's SOOOO cool! You're AMAZING!" or "Does anybody here know how to mod a Maverick?" They don't necessarily post often either. I've been here for 3 years (aside from former memberships at NerfCenter and NerfOnline) and I already see recent members shooting past my post count. Some contribute and sadly, most of them don't.

Which leads into the other type of NIC member. They are to the NIC as barnacles are to an old wooden ship. They ride the forums, encrusting them with mostly pointless posts. Many try to whore as many posts as possible. It's just a number. It isn't a statement unless you've made something worthwhile. It gets old to see a member come along and post 14 times in a day every once in a while. Their voices do not need to be heard in every thread.

So now you are left with a choice. Do you become a barnacle, or are you a wooden plank, forming the great vessel that is the NIC?

~Rings

#119178 Hockey

Posted by LordoftheRing434 on 11 August 2007 - 08:59 PM in Off Topic

I stick to good ol' Minnesotan pond hockey with my friends. Everyone gets home from school and we hit the ice for a few hours every night. Kinda grew up with it, but I haven't played on a competitive level.

#117963 Minneapolis I-35w Bridge

Posted by LordoftheRing434 on 01 August 2007 - 11:10 PM in Off Topic

As most of you are probably aware of, a bridge on one of Minnesota's biggest highways collapsed into the Mississippi River today, killing several and injuring many. I feel it is pertinent to make mention of this and to encourage you all to turn your thoughts and prayers to those who are experiencing the impact of the event. It was indeed a shock.

It hit close to home for me too, because I attend school only a couple miles from the bridge and have crossed it often on the weekend. I called my buddy today to make sure he was ok, and apparently he avoided taking that bridge today on his way home from work. Had he not, it could have been quite possible that he could have been caught up in the traumatic experience there. It's tough to imagine how panicked many of the families of the victims must be. I wish the best to those involved in the accident and hope for a quick recovery.

~Rings

#115283 Poll: Do You Cuss?

Posted by LordoftheRing434 on 10 July 2007 - 04:20 PM in Off Topic

I don't know why you have to do it. I don't know why you have to swear in front of the kids. All you gotta do is say earmuffs and you can say what you want. EARMUFFS! Then you can say fuck. shit. bitch.

Cock. Balls.

I'm only making a point, you don't have to celebrate it.

#115085 Spano/ No Spam

Posted by LordoftheRing434 on 08 July 2007 - 09:59 PM in Nerf Wars

Glad to see you guys had a good time. Wish I could have made it...

It's cool to see what the city did with the place since spring. Looks as if things are a little easier to run around since the big dirt mound is gone, even though it did provide some cover. Hopefully we can get another one going so I can make it there.

~Rings

#113316 Nerf Grenade Idea

Posted by LordoftheRing434 on 27 June 2007 - 02:25 PM in General Nerf

I've also never seen a grenade used in a Nerf war. The most practical way to use it would be to chuck it at someone and not depend on the "splash radius" of a couple feet. We may as well be pelting each other with tennis balls, and that's not Nerf anymore.

~Rings

#112408 Your Top Ten Songs

Posted by LordoftheRing434 on 21 June 2007 - 06:28 PM in Off Topic

It's tough to narrow down my favorite songs to just 10 since I have so many. Nonetheless, my taste is somewhat the same as Carrtoon's. So in no particular order:

1.) Money - Pink Floyd

2.) Stairway to Heaven - Led Zeppelin

3.) A Day in the Life - The Beatles

4.) Billie Jean - Michael Jackson

5.) March of the Black Queen - Queen

6.) Layla - Derek & The Dominos

7.) Hurricane - Bob Dylan

8.) Aqualung - Jethro Tull

9.) Purple Rain - Prince

10.) Touch of Grey - Grateful Dead

So what if some of them are overplayed, they are overplayed for good reason. I'm surprised I hadn't seen any Dylan, Beatles, or Grateful Dead yet.

~Rings

#112308 Top 5 All Time Best Movies

Posted by LordoftheRing434 on 21 June 2007 - 12:01 AM in Off Topic

1. Pink Floyd The Wall

That is the most messed up movie I've ever seen... but it was great!

True, very true. But the music is what kicked ass. Pink floyd is the bomb.

Roger Waters has an odd creativity. Good thing I'm seeing one of his shows in 9 days.

#112131 Top 5 All Time Best Movies

Posted by LordoftheRing434 on 20 June 2007 - 12:24 AM in Off Topic

1.) JAWS - People never thought of swimming the same way again. The actors in that movie were simply fantastic. Who doesn't like a bloody PG movie about the big one that almost got away. There's even quite a bit of humor in there.

2.) Caddyshack - Harold Ramis had the all-star lineup. Chevy Chase as the suave, debonair, yet awkward rich golfer. Rodney Dangerfield as the quirky land development owner, and all around funny guy. Ted Knight as the snobby country club patron, with ridiculous antics. And of course Bill Murray as the slow, crafty greenskeeper. It's all tied together by great support actors too, and it makes me laugh harder since I work at a country club.

3.) Scarface - Violent, but touching. It's more than just saying "hello" to Al Pacino's little friend. It demonstrates the downward spiral of an immigrant caught up in the drug industry. A perfect example of how fast one can fall from the top. Scarface has a nice storyline, with the action to keep people interested.

4.) Rocky - A truly inspirational story, followed by a solid series of sequels. Watching it always gets me off my ass, and makes me do something productive. Even if he doesn't beat the shit out of Apollo Creed, he went the distance and wins at life.

5.) Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974) - It's a very psychologically terrifying movie. While Tobe Hooper doesn't implement the use of gore and graphic killings, it happens more behind closed doors, so he forces your imagination to run free. I respect that in a movie. And who can forget the dinner table scene. I can't think of many things more torturesome than it.

#111762 Spano/ No Spam

Posted by LordoftheRing434 on 17 June 2007 - 06:42 PM in Nerf Wars

Not gonna make this one, guys. Hopefully we'll have another going on another month and then I can make it. Have a blast, and I wish I was there.

~Rings

#109375 Recommend Me A Gun Based On These Specifications

Posted by LordoftheRing434 on 04 June 2007 - 03:29 PM in Modifications

Powerclip/Magstrike are so fun in indoor wars. People will try to avoid you like the plague.

I, too, am a patron of the indoor Maverick. NFs are nice, but if you have a Mav it has a quicker rate of fire; big comfort in close quarters wars. There are lots of guns listed here I would go with, but there's a few more I would add: Supermaxx 3000, Supermaxx 1500, Splitfire, Monoblast, or an RF20. Most of those are a little more difficult to come across, but they suit the case well.

~Rings

#109221 Spano/ No Spam

Posted by LordoftheRing434 on 03 June 2007 - 05:46 PM in Nerf Wars

My attendence does not look promising at this point. I will be in the Cities both the weekend before, and the weekend after the war. With gas prices where they're at, 3 straight weeks of 300 mile round trips aren't exactly the coolest thing.

Secondly, attendence from my crew is poor. Most will be involved in an ultimate frisbee tournament the weekend of the war, and I will possibly be involved with that. I have 1 other person interested in going, and I could string together one more if the planets align right.

In short, this war unfortunately does not look promising for me. I'll give a final update as it approaches, but for now it looks as if I'm out. Depending on who's all still around after summer, we could get a fall war together. Sorry guys! :D

~Rings

#107572 Glue

Posted by LordoftheRing434 on 25 May 2007 - 06:39 PM in Modifications

As a suggestion: rather than trying to glue two crayolas together, just nest the crayola inside some 1/2" PVC, fins towards the back...it works rather well.

Agreed.

This is an easy process and it'll keep your gun in tip-top shape. I made a writeup on it a little over a year ago. My AT2ks have lasted several wars and countless firing without a problem. It'll take you a little less than a half an hour and it'll keep up with a good many guns. Good luck.

~Rings

#105619 Mp3 Players/pmp/cd Player Etc.

Posted by LordoftheRing434 on 15 May 2007 - 01:24 AM in Off Topic

Holy shit, calm down with all the razzledazzle and hype. I think it's interesting to hear what everyone's listening to; who said anything about ignorance in this thread?

I happen to be toting a 30GB iPod video. I like it because it fits me and my music/video preferences. To be honest, I don't utilize the video capability overly much. I have it for the sake of simple accessibility to my music, and the larger storage size to house my library. It is currently full, with 6300 songs, a select few videos, and a small deal of photos. I enjoy it and it was a wise investment for me, especially going into the college season. The disadvantage of it is how file types are anal and it takes time to convert things to put them on. Luckily, I've taken the time to work on that.

I have also experienced the MP3 player side of the story too, so I can't be too biased. I have a 128MB iRiver something. It was when MP3 players first came out, when Rio and iRiver dominated the market. Despite the smaller size, I enjoy using the player. It was easy to get songs on in little time and get listening fast. The drawbacks to the player are the lack of depth in organization, as provided in iTunes. Also, it doesn't have a rechargable battery, so I blow a wad on that. Then again, it is old, and the newer stuff out there probably fixes these disadvantages.

I don't have blind faith and glorify one or the other. I take my iPod more often than my MP3 player because my musical tastes change several times in a day. I go through recurring stages with bands I listen to.

I like how an argument can be drawn from virtually anything. Chill out and just enjoy the long strange trip you're on in your music.

~Rings

#105199 Measuring Ranges

Posted by LordoftheRing434 on 12 May 2007 - 11:52 PM in General Nerf

I measure an average walking gait and carry a ruler along. Usually run 2-3 trials and average it. Not as meticulous as a tape measure, but it's reliable enough to know my guns' capabilities in a war.

#104548 Football Teams

Posted by LordoftheRing434 on 08 May 2007 - 12:38 PM in Off Topic

bpso86, you and I think along the same lines when it comes to football teams.

#104475 Farmageddon 07 Planning Thread

Posted by LordoftheRing434 on 07 May 2007 - 09:21 PM in Nerf Wars

Again, it would be a stretch for the Northern Minnesotans. Especially since it's around SPANO, I'm not sure how my crew would fare driving almost 1000 miles back and forth between the two wars. It sounds like it'd be fun and all, but it all depends on time and money.

The only chance I see of getting the interest to make it, is if for some reason I can't get my clan to SPANO. So this one would be doubtful to make. It's on my mind though.

~Rings

#104235 Spano/ No Spam

Posted by LordoftheRing434 on 06 May 2007 - 04:02 PM in Nerf Wars

LOTR, fine that you don't need my car. Just means more of my guys in it instead. Hope I wasn't too inhospitable last time.

The ride situation was perfect; I was grateful to get to the war, so again I thank you. I just felt bad that we had to make an out-of-the-way trip back to my dorm for my friend. They had me stressed out the whole morning because they overslept and all that stuff. But yeah, now you can bring more guys, so it works.

Always good to see a friendly face on the boards, welcome Jeff.

~Rings

#104142 Smoke Bombs

Posted by LordoftheRing434 on 05 May 2007 - 09:48 PM in Off Topic

Are smoke bombs even legal in wars?

1.) Depends on who's warring, and what their preferences are.

2.) Wow guys... just wow. In some wars, it might be possibly practical. But in every war I've been to, the practicality of having a big-ass smoke bomb is next to nil. Sure, other people will have a hard time hitting you. You will have a hard time hitting them as well. It would be like watching blind kids play dodgeball in gym class. The whole point of warring is to flip shit and diddle your opponents. I would have much less fun doing so if I was half blind.

3.) The whole concept is just plain novelty. Don't get me wrong, I'm interested in smoke bombs and all that shit too, but applying something like that would be tough. If you get out and attend a war and shock us all with your tricks, I will allow you one free kick to my ass.

~Rings

#103325 First Post!

Posted by LordoftheRing434 on 30 April 2007 - 11:46 PM in General Nerf

My two cents are as follows:

Maxshot - Rambo is right. It's a good package.

SuperMaxx 1500 - It's good you plan to search for it. It has great range, accuracy, and ROF. Plenty will vouch for that.

SuperMaxx 5000 - This has also been mentioned. My friends and I were amazed at it after the modding was done.

Longshot - If done correctly, this gun will be a favorite. Impressive range, and much higher ROF than the BBB.