Mantis's Content

There have been 512 items by Mantis (Search limited from 03-December 96)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#13358 Working On Grenades

Posted by Mantis on 28 November 2003 - 06:13 PM in Homemades

Ok guys, I got an idea.

Imagine this (since I cant draw):
you take a small ball and glue springs onto it, such that there is no spot without a spring covering it. Next you glue a plate of some kid, cardboard or whatever floats your boat, as the base, onto the springs. Then you load the ammo on the base, which is glued to the springs, which are glued to the ball. All you need after that is a cap to go around the whole thing. Maybe if you used a small bouncy ball as the spring supporter, you could use a hollow plastic wiffle ball as the cover. Of course, the cover would need to be cut in half at the equator, and have a latch of some type to hold it on.

The materials will come to me in the middle of the night, so expect an update on this design before sundown on Sunday.

#13402 Working On Grenades

Posted by Mantis on 29 November 2003 - 06:09 PM in Homemades

I actually worried the plate reference would confuse someone.
No, not like a dinner plate, its just a base or whatever you wanna call it the shrapnel sits on. I'll draw something out, hold on.

#13420 Working On Grenades

Posted by Mantis on 30 November 2003 - 12:22 AM in Homemades

I'm too tired to read the last few posts, but yes Zero, that picture is almost exactly what I pictured. But other than there being separate pieces on top of each spring, there was one large one encompassing them all, if it could be done. Otherwise the picture is what my mind's eye sees.

#13445 Working On Grenades

Posted by Mantis on 30 November 2003 - 01:17 PM in Homemades

I'm not trying to discourage anyone from trying to make 'em, but as I was saying to Nello awhile back, if the idea of a nerf gernade was easily possible you think someone would have made them already. Hopefully someone will be able to think of an ingenious way to make cheap, working, safe gernades.

You are pretty smart there buddy. Here we are, trying to actually come up with a design for a grenade. I've heard some pretty ingenious ideas here, some that weren't mentioned in previous threads about 'nades. And then you come along, and passive aggressively try to tell us it wont work.
As for no one ever making a good one before, the nerf community hasn't been around for generations. Hell, it's only been around 15 years maybe? Thats just a random guess, so correct me if I'm wrong. Even though a lot has been done in those 15 years, a lot can still be accomplished. We are sitting on the brink of a new discovery here, gentlemen.
Imagine what it felt like when the space program was just started. I'm positive they were told it couldn't be done.

#7513 Why Can't We Have Small Images In Our Signatures?

Posted by Mantis on 30 July 2003 - 12:27 PM in Site Feedback

What if we buy the crap off the site, then will those few get the right to do it?

#9425 What Are You Going To Be For Halloween?

Posted by Mantis on 08 September 2003 - 01:20 PM in Off Topic

Make a replica out of plastic. Then hope he doesnt run into you and tell you his says "Fire spewing penis of death .50" on the side while yours only says "replica".

/Snatch

#9386 What Are You Going To Be For Halloween?

Posted by Mantis on 07 September 2003 - 08:13 PM in Off Topic

Hahaha too cool. We used to say "this is our last year, gotta get a good haul" for a good 4 years. But I think last year we meant it, 17 year olds going around asking for candy is a bit weird. Might as well just steal the candy my parents get.

But if I did go, or go to a shindig or something, I got this badass ninja outfit.

#9472 What Are You Going To Be For Halloween?

Posted by Mantis on 09 September 2003 - 01:42 PM in Off Topic

Toga! Toga!

#2910 What Is The Difrince.

Posted by Mantis on 02 April 2003 - 09:35 PM in Nerf Wars

Gunnedown, just start running now.

#8508 Un Explosion In Baghdad

Posted by Mantis on 20 August 2003 - 04:43 PM in Off Topic

Hear hear Merl!

#42562 Turkey Day Weekend War

Posted by Mantis on 26 November 2004 - 12:20 AM in Nerf Wars

Most of them will start out with...

I just turned 18 and....

Should be hot ladies, I'm looking forward to it.

Talio.

Hahaha, that has to be the funniest thing I've read on these boards since the "I win" topic.

#7093 Trajedy In Santa Monica

Posted by Mantis on 16 July 2003 - 07:35 PM in Off Topic

8 dead?? Jesus.

#111175 Top 5 All Time Best Movies

Posted by Mantis on 14 June 2007 - 09:03 AM in Off Topic

In order:
1. Medellion
2. Aquaman (beat Spiderman for the highest grossing movie ever)
3. Queens Boulevard
4. Matterhorn
5. Head On

These aren't the most popular movies out, but if you get a chance to see them, do it!

#2552 Tips To Get A Good Clan.

Posted by Mantis on 22 March 2003 - 06:29 PM in General Nerf

Famine baby, we've been doing good. We performed some odd jobs for a very sexual 24 year old girl and her 7 roommates. Then they gave us a shiny quarter and we went home...
Other than that, we have been keepin' it fresh.

#2705 Tips To Get A Good Clan.

Posted by Mantis on 26 March 2003 - 06:04 PM in General Nerf

Sweet man, if you and Groove can get out to NJ (other than nerfing, theres no reason to come) for a war, I promise you will love it.
That is, unless Vacc wants to keep you two for himself (I cant find a winking smiley)

#2603 Tips To Get A Good Clan.

Posted by Mantis on 23 March 2003 - 09:31 PM in General Nerf

I think the clan mentallity may be a bit more prevelant at the HQ. The Ohio nerfers seem to be associated together, people know a lot about the LCM (some people ask my relation to other clan members, and Howard has been asked about the layout of his room), and yeah. Then theres some other clans from God knows where.

#2493 Tips To Get A Good Clan.

Posted by Mantis on 20 March 2003 - 06:46 PM in General Nerf

*Ba dap ding*

I like VACC's idea on it. Dont set out to make a clan. Try to get your friends to nerf, and as he said, they will come back if it was meant to be. Then when they keep coming back, it means you made a clan.

#16132 Thumb Tack Tip Stefans

Posted by Mantis on 10 January 2004 - 05:33 PM in Homemades

Me and Howard made a few batches of them, because as the other said, thumb tacks are easy to find and cost $1 for 300. Since we all use mega guns, the normal sized tacks work great.

#32376 They're Here.

Posted by Mantis on 26 July 2004 - 10:46 PM in General Nerf

I don't like raining on parades, but the Shindig found this stuff at the pool store he works in. He got a boner over it, but its not as good as the gray kind. He has the 5/8" if you guys want any.

#32385 They're Here.

Posted by Mantis on 26 July 2004 - 10:57 PM in General Nerf

You're right, we specialize in being cute and takin' names :w00t:

#32389 They're Here.

Posted by Mantis on 26 July 2004 - 11:37 PM in General Nerf

The texture and such, they werent as sturdy.

#16891 There Is Nothing Good About Bbbs Or Crossbows

Posted by Mantis on 22 January 2004 - 08:22 PM in General Nerf

Who can hit someone from 100 feet out here? I'm not good at estimating distances, but I dont think I've ever seen someone even get lucky enough to nail someone from more than 80 feet.

And rapid fire weapons are cool too.

#3377 The Unlimate Nerf Arena

Posted by Mantis on 13 April 2003 - 11:57 AM in General Nerf

I think the ultimate Nerf arena would be a gigantic public bathroom...

So come down and we'll have one at the Creek.

#8443 The Tech Target Gun Is In Stores

Posted by Mantis on 19 August 2003 - 12:13 PM in General Nerf

Madison, Jersey?
If so, maybe we could war sometime.

#6541 The Nerfing Mind

Posted by Mantis on 04 July 2003 - 01:02 AM in Site Feedback

So now we know how to defeat those lousy LGLF'ers.
"I read your book Phil!"

#77679 That What I Love About High School Girls...

Posted by Mantis on 26 March 2006 - 01:58 PM in Off Topic

Sexual predator should have been in bold by the way.

and as for these tools who say you cant type whilst drunk!
I'd bet the monetary value of all the weed in my room at this very minute that I CAN type drunk

#77545 That What I Love About High School Girls...

Posted by Mantis on 25 March 2006 - 03:31 PM in Off Topic

...I keep getting older and they stay the same age

#77533 That Was Childish

Posted by Mantis on 25 March 2006 - 02:51 PM in General Nerf

Sorry guys that was a lot funnier to me than it way to any of you

My bad

#191882 Thanksgiving War At The Shore

Posted by Mantis on 25 November 2008 - 02:01 PM in Nerf Wars

Scratch me off the list, that's what happens when you put in to get the wrong day off.

#191157 Thanksgiving War At The Shore

Posted by Mantis on 21 November 2008 - 07:03 PM in Nerf Wars

Evening gentlemen. I'm going to be in TR for the break, and there's a solid chance that means I'll be at the war. When the hell did Phil pop his head back up? Last time I saw him was at the good old firehaus where he mysteriously appeared.

Either way, look forward to seeing me.

Love,
Byrnes

#1125 Teamwork:

Posted by Mantis on 05 February 2003 - 07:13 PM in General Nerf

Here's my ideas on teamwork.
Teamwork is always used, as Vacc (I think) said, since you are on a team, and you are all working toward a common goal (kill the other guys). Now, the way this gets done is where people have different ideas. As Vacc also said, silence is the best way to coordinate attacks, and as he also said, the people that can pull that off shouldnt be grouped together. I agree, that the people who work best when together shouldnt be on the same team, but if it is a large group of people that work well together, some of them will be on the same side. This is when it gets interesting, because the 2 or 3 guys on the team, especially if there are newbies or if it is a bigass war, like Apoc (or Armaggedon as I can imagine) can instill a sense of comradery amongst the team. The core of the team will, hopefully, expand their tactical skills to the rest of those untrained savages. Then, they will eventually get the hang of the way you and your boys work, and they will in turn step it up.
Which brings me to my next point, Murphy's Law which states: Profesional soldiers are predictable, but the world is full of amatuers. This translates very well into nerf, since there are sometimes newbies and vets on the field at once. You can get used to the way some people operate, but the newbies and the ones who dont group themselves with everyone else are the ones you need to keep an eye on. I love this aspect of the battle. If you leave the group and just go trapsing(I have no idea how to spell that, but its a great word) through the woods, you can do serious damage to the other team. You may not win (which I dont bother worrying about in nerf), but you can take some guys out, because they wont expect you to do that. This is what some people would probably call the lone wolf strategy, which is a good name. You dont need to tell your team where you are going, because you will constantly be moving, depending on the enemy movements. This could very well be the best team strategy. An entire team of lone wolves would be fun to be on, but not to fight against. It would be like the viet-cong, you wouldnt know where they go to regroup, you dont want to chase them for fear of ambushes, and they (the wolves) can play off of each other nicely. I know the LCM used to do this. They set ambushes without knowing it.
And yah know why the lone wolf team would work? Because a team of, but not limited to, 4 people can be bitched around by one guy. I dont understand it, they can all rush and at worst one or two would die. Its just the way things work I suppose.
So yeah, this is probably one of my longest posts ever, so I'm gonna stop now.

#39210 Team America

Posted by Mantis on 18 October 2004 - 06:19 PM in Off Topic

Dude, if you get into it, you'll know why it's R.

And yes....
MATT DAMON

#33654 [ec] Gnomefest3 August 21st

Posted by Mantis on 10 August 2004 - 12:37 PM in Nerf Wars

I'd be up for a bag of zeros, the price sounds good.

#33446 [ec] Gnomefest3 August 21st

Posted by Mantis on 07 August 2004 - 03:27 PM in Nerf Wars

Talio, you probably won't like the answer; after hearing about Seth quitting poker because of his girlfriend's wishes, I get the feeling theres no answer that would appease you.

Just kidding.....

...but seriously.

#33952 [ec] Gnomefest3 August 21st

Posted by Mantis on 14 August 2004 - 09:35 AM in Nerf Wars

He must have thought you meant going to college. Either way, whats going on the night before?

#34451 [ec] Gnomefest3 August 21st

Posted by Mantis on 19 August 2004 - 12:36 PM in Nerf Wars

I'm sure we could pull something off. As long as the car runs, we could plan to meet at a rest stop (a.k.a. homosexual bath house of the 90's) in Southern Jersey and someone from our end could drive the rest of the way up.

#33565 [ec] Gnomefest3 August 21st

Posted by Mantis on 09 August 2004 - 09:36 AM in Nerf Wars

Ok then stud, whatever you need to tell yourself.

#34633 [ec] Gnomefest3 August 21st

Posted by Mantis on 20 August 2004 - 03:42 PM in Nerf Wars

Hows things looking for tomorrow?

#34679 [ec] Gnomefest3 August 21st

Posted by Mantis on 20 August 2004 - 10:26 PM in Nerf Wars

It says scattered thunderstorms every hour until 4 pm, then it turns into thunderstorms. From my experience, when it says scattered t-storms, it doesn't mean much.

#34235 [ec] Gnomefest3 August 21st

Posted by Mantis on 17 August 2004 - 10:49 PM in Nerf Wars

Guys, we've had 29 at an Apoc, and we handled that without much pain. The Creek is much smaller than your park, so splitting the war up seems like a bad idea.